Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Waterhaul posted:

SALE TIME

Moon Knight is today's Marvel's sale. Ends at 11pm EST tonight. The Huston run was well liked around BSS despite the Finch art and a good jump on point if you want to know more about the character. The Bendis/Maleev run is...interesting. It's got some good Maleev art but I didn't really like the changes Bendis made and the treatment of Echo in the series. Mileage may vary and I think the first issue is a good example of what to expect from it.
Huston's run is really good, and provides some really gritty street-level anti-hero. Lots of blood.

Bendis's run is a lot more creative, I really liked Moon Knight becoming so crazy he thinks he's the Avengers. All the Avengers. Of course it suffers from Bendis writing so things can become really wordy and drawn out.

If anyone doesn't know what Moon Knight is, he's basically Batman with Schizophrenia. He's got murderous tendencies, hears voices/sees things that aren't there, it's a really interesting take on Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I jumped on the 99cent Marvel Unlimited deal, having issues with the app but I have problems with almost all apps on this stupid Android tablet.

How easy is it to find story arcs on this thing, instead of by title?

e: Nope, the app sucks rear end. Having to change the view to one-page every single time, constantly having the app get confused and thinking I'm logged out/Not an unlimited user. It's trash, and it's my fault for buying an Android tablet instead of something else, but there's no excuse for an almost non-functioning app.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 6, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The most frustrating part so far is just fighting with the App telling me that I'm not an Unlimited member every single time I try and read a new issue, and having to close the app and re-open it multiple times. Marvel really needs to just link up Unlimited with Comixology.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Devo posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but I couldn't find anywhere to put in the SXSW99 code when I bought a month of Marvel unlimited. I've been meaning to resubscribe anyway so no big deal but I'm just throwing that out there. It also seems like it's much harder to browse for the comics I want compared to when I was subscribed a couple years ago.

e: like I'm trying to get to the start of Simonson's Thor run and I can't figure out a way to do it that doesn't involve scrolling and scrolling and scrolling
Search by creator and then sort by series.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I spend like $20 a week on Comixology and I didn't get any e-mails :/ I must have turned email alerts off or something?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

unl33t posted:

Amazon's Kindle Deal of the Day today includes 8 DC collections for $2.99. Comixology often matches these prices, but it doesn't look like they've done so yet.
Here's the link

It features:
Justice League Vol 1
Wonder Woman Vol 1 (Buy this if you don't own it)
Green Lantern Vol 1
Aquaman Vol 1 (Also worth buying)
Justice League Dark Vol 1
Shazam! Vol 1 (Worth it)
Action Comics Vol 1
Green Arrow Vol 1

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Marvel's doing digital comics right. Too bad they can't figure out how to code their app. Picked up Superior Vol 1 just because it's going to be something so awful people look back on with nostalgia some day like I do with Back in Black.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

Make sure you're using the main comixology app. There is no reason to use the marvel only one over it.
Oh, I love Comixology, I use it all the time. Their own Unlimited App is the messy one, and there's no way to get Marvel's entire library for that price on Comixology.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

LordPants posted:

Amazing Spider-Man sale on Comixology. I remember Nerd rage hitting critical mass around the Alpha period, if I wanted the full Alpha experience what issues do I need? 692-994?
The reason why Alpha sucked is because Slott was pretending he was an "Alpha level threat", that being, stronger than people like Phoenix, or Hulk, or Omega-level mutants like Iceman. It was dumb. Luckily he has been dropped and ignored! His on-going wasn't bad.

Those three are the issues though involved with Spider-Man though, yeah.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

Which books on the comixology sale are worth getting? I picked up Spidey Blue with the store credit.
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 1 and Spider-Man Masterworks are really good too. Nova and Annihilation are great, but they're part of large, pretty long stories.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

So yeah, not worth the money then.
Android web app is terrible, but it's usable. I thought it was worth the money, considering I spend more than $10 on comics a week anyway and I could easily just spend that money right now reading back issues that I've missed and waiting for trades.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, it's 12.99 for me in the US.
Put it in your cart directly from here and it will end up in your cart at $6.00

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

EVGA Longoria posted:

I have no interest in comic book stores or physical releases. If they're going to release parts of the story for FCBD, they should provide it digitally too.
I honestly keep giving my LCS chance after chance and they manage to spectacularly gently caress it up every time.

Strike one: When I first went there, they were releasing Wednesday's comics on Friday, if I were lucky enough. Goons called the store and punked them out.
Strike two: They weren't selling Miracle Man because the owner didn't like Alan Moore. Alan Moore wasn't even getting paid for this comic so whatever.
Strike Three: They order so little Marvel comics that they might as well not carry them at all. I get there by noon and they're sold out of almost all Marvel comics.
Strike Four: Free comicbook day bullshit where they were charging for the free comic books.

I'd just prefer to buy everything digital or from TFAW. Their tag-line is "The only game in town!" and it's true. They can get away with this nonsense because the next closest comic shop is almost an hour and a half away. I would have rather just had digitals of the free comics as well.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

EVGA Longoria posted:

I buy a lot of comics every week. I get that retail stores want to keep in business and that a lot of people want them to, but this just feels too much like music companies trying to hold onto the physical at the expense of digital.
I spend around $20 a week on comics, yeah. But all of that money goes to Comixology because of how piss-poor my LCS is. FCBD didn't help me change my mind one bit, but if I had a good comic book shop I'd be spending it all there. Comixology is knocking it out of the park with all their sales, some of them are just too good to pass.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Anyone have a coupon/discount code for Marvel Unlimited? Last time I upped it was 50 bucks now it's 70 :(
Last SXSW there was a discount code to get it for $1 for a month, and it's legitimately the best dollar I spent, but the Android version of the app is still really shaky and I'm going to wait until that's fixed and more reliable before I pay full subscription price.

I guess you can try and see if the code still works, since the page is still up:
http://marvel.com/SXSW14

and if not, Retailmenot is great for everything:
http://www.retailmenot.com/s/marvel+unlimited

COMEBACK3
20MARVEL

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

How are they on old issues. I've always wanted to read the old key issues of Spider-Man for instance. The old green goblin books, death of gwen, amazing fantasy 15.

I'm sure they are NOT good by today's standards, but there is still that something special to them.

E: Also the SXSW14 code they provided has expired. pits.
They've got an unimaginable amount of old comics, but they're about 6-8 months behind on current stuff.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Seeing as how I don't keep up with many comics as is right now, that's probably the best deal for me. Knowing nothing about SXSW, is there anything coming up for it that we may get another deal for it?
Comic-Con in July, or perhaps the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

I'm pretty sure you can search the Marvel Unlimited website even as a non-subscriber. You can check and see whether the arcs you want to read are available or not, and even see the first few pages of each.
Here's that list, too.
http://marvel.com/comics/series

Just go to the series you're looking for and click on the "Marvel Unlimited" box and it will show you if it's up or not. It's a lot quicker than looking things up in the app, a lot of the time.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 9, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Marvel & Comixology has further dropped the price on their discounted Vol 1 collections. You can get these titles for $2 each now, and if you still have the $5 credit you can get Annihilation and Nova Vol 1 which can really kick-start your Marvel Cosmic library (Marvel Cosmic is amazing)

It's more convenient than stealing at this point.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Comixology are having a sale on 52, which is in my opinion is the only decent major crossover from DC in the past 20 years. Each issue is 99cents, so the entire run is $51.48 total, which still comes out cheaper than buying the omnibus.

However, you can buy the Kindle edition from Amazon at $12.00 a book (Four books total) and come out at $48. (It isn't much of a sale when you look at it like that)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Could I read 52 without much of any knowledge about DC continuity? I tend to stick to the self-contained stuff, I've never really spent too much time on the events.
Yeah, totally. I don't think I was reading anything except for Supergirl when 52 started. I highly recommend 52, it's a very solid title within its own continuity, every single plot is great, and I loved the characters they decided to use in the absence of the Trinity. (They didn't use hardly any members of the Justice League, for that matter). It was a great chance for new heroes and C-List heroes at the time to really come into their own.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

hup posted:

How's the Kindle reader? I'm kind of a sucker for guided view but 52 is one of my favorite series and I dunno if I can pass this up either way.
Kindle reader works about as well as Comixology, it's just a little less organized. I've never had any issues out of the stuff I own through Amazon/Kindle.

By the way, the first issue of #52 is free through Amazon. It sets a little up, if anyone's interested.
http://www.amazon.com/52-1-Johns-Geoff-ebook/dp/B00JW2PLX8/ref=sr_1_3_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400082121&sr=1-3&keywords=52+dc

And here's #52 if you want to buy it through Amazon:
Vol 1
Vol 2
Vol 3
Vol 4

Total price: $45.96

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 14, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

Can you narrow that down a bit? :downs:
The first 33 issues are really good.

It's really obvious which comics are part of an arc, so pick a villain you like and just buy those 2/3 issues. They're all really good.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Anime_Otaku posted:

Does Comixology have the colour versions of Scott Pilgrim? I think they're meant to but they don't show up when I search the uk site.
https://www.comixology.com/Scott-Pilgrim-Color/comics-series/8940

I don't know if you can change your region to buy other comics or not, though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Agent Escalus posted:

Big fat sale on Udon's many Street Fighter titles, too. Including the collected eds.

I've never actually read any of them. Thoughts?
I read Ibuki and Sakura's vol 1's before, they're both great stories, amazing art, and well worth $4.

Sakura's is really good, and there's a pro wrestling match against Zangeif.

They can be a little cheesecake iirc.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Uthor posted:

Dan Slott :(

I haven't been getting the promo emails. Did I miss anything good?
There's over 75 comics up and only 5 of them worth buying. The Spider-Man/Johnny Storm miniseries is good, Slott's Spider-Man is not, and I've never read The Initiative but it features Spider-Man during Civil War so it's probably not good either?

https://www.comixology.com/Dan-Slott-Sale/comics-collection/1436

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Rirse posted:

Pretty safe to say it a good idea to avoid the Deadpool sale judging by the Deadpool thread's OP.
Here, let me save you the trouble and link you the only three pages worth reading in that run:
http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/633026.html

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Anime_Otaku posted:

I was just coming to urge everyone to get the Deadpool bundle, I love it.
Idea-wise, Way's run was really interesting and fun. Execution wise, it sucked and I hate Way's writing and his introduction of a third loving internal monologue, it was just grating as hell.

"Haha the editor is talking to him in the comic so funny!!!" it wears off really fast.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm going to spend over $100 this month catching up on Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, the Robin sale, and the Guadians/Thanos sales.

I can't believe I've bought so many loving comics this month :negative:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Good news everyone! Spider-man Chapter One is on sale at comixology! Avenging Spider-Man is also on sale, and how is it?
Avenging Spider-Man was always good to great. Just pick the team-up you like and buy the issue!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I've been buying more comics than ever before just because of the convinience of it, it takes less than two minutes to buy a comic and start reading it now. The same with Music. But some of the larger industries don't recognize that and punish legitimate buyers instead of the people pirating things. Just make it easier to purchase for everyone and they'll probably pirate less!

DRM Free is a great step forward. Music and Movies could learn a lot from comics, ironically.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

My mom found a whole lot of books she wanted to read on Scribd, so it's not a total waste. There's not a lot of stuff on there, and their browser for comics is total garbage.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

lifg posted:

This was really good advice, and now I'm hooked enough on the mythology to want to read more Spawn.
If you let yourself be taken in by the 90's, it's a hell of a ride. I read all the issues up to current in ~2006 or so, I had a lot of fun.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Zoe posted:

Where's a good place to get some digital pokemon comics? I know they must exist. Or if anyone has any other recommendations for a 10 year old girl let me hear them--I already have Bone and the Mega Man series and Adventure time stuff and a couple of the recent Sonic comics that take place after the series apparently de-suckified itself. She's obsessed with Pokémon though and that's the main thing I wanted.

Comixology for once was no help...though a search for 'pokemon' did bring up the adventures of Max Gamer, Aspie Superhero! which sure is a thing that exists.
Pokemon Adventures is really great, it's more like a traditional manga than a Pokemon manga cash-in. You can start at pretty much any arc and it's good.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I started loading up my cart and then by the time I checked out, even with the coupon I was at over $100. At that point it's better to just buy a subscription to Marvel Unlimited anyway, I just don't know if that App has gotten any better on androids.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

There's no excuse! Storm and Elektra are two comics that are right on the cusp of being great, and now Vol 1 of both are $3 -- That makes them well worth the price. If you don't own Ms. Marvel or Wonder Woman yet, those are must-buys. Runaways, Death by Neal Gaiman, and Batwoman are on there too, all classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Shitshow posted:

Scribd is a great idea with really poor execution. I would wait until they refine it more before giving it a try.
Their collection of comics is also much smaller than they lead you to believe. I ended up reading everything interesting on there in a weekend.