Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is talking about buying unused digital codes considered :filez:? I mean by using the only if a creator gets paid model you could never discuss buying physical used comics then. It's a good way to get comics you might otherwise not get for $4, but you would get for $2 or if a mega event occurs with a crap ton of tie ins.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uthor posted:

I don't think it's a problem. There's never been any talk about organizing a buy/trade system here, but would probably be cool if you wanted to set something up in SAMart.

Cool. I just remember the first time I mentioned it, someone got pissed and said they wanted the authors to get money, and well the conversation just kind of ended there. Physical copies just don't work for me, due to a young kid in the house and it's just so nice to be able to retrieve any comic I want from the cloud. I generally just use eBay at the moment, on average I pay anywhere from $1.50 to $2.00 per new Marvel issue vs paying $4.00 new. I mean for me, I must have bought about 30 issues so far and generally I would get the codes within an hour or two, with some extreme outliers taking a day. So if I could just do it here, so much the better. One near thing was I got all of Age of Ultron for about $7, and you can often find great deals on trades and collected events.

The only thing I've been wondering is how does listing a local store as the source, when redeeming it with marvel, affect the store, ie does it hurt or help the store. Because if he hurts them I'd just try and use a misc type option.

Oh I tried out the new Marvel Unlimited app and holy crap, is it a ton better than it used to be, I also like the audio enhancement options they've launched with Winter Solider. It's a really neat concept.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uthor posted:

I'm assuming it helps them. The problem I have is that there are two Acme Comics in IL, ironically the two closest stores to me. I hope I'm picking the right one. :ohdear:

That's my assumption. I just hope I'm not giving bad sales data that could cause them grief with distributors.

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's a thread in Games for giving away spare Steam keys. There shouldn't be a problem setting up the same thing with codes for BSS.

e: Oh. Selling instead of trading or giving is probably different.

Oh if I have an extra one I'll just dump it in this thread. I mean more the discussion of where are good places to get them, what's a fair price, etc.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I honestly don't care at all that I can't make in-app purchases because I never liked doing that anyway - I'd much rather buy stuff all at once than incur a bunch of tiny itunes store charges that take forever to show up in my bank account. But potentially having to redownload everything is a pain in the rear end. Although, as near as I can tell, there's nothing stopping me from just continuing to use the old app? Unless it's just going to disappear from my ipad at some point?

Yeah I have to say this may actually work out better for me in that impulse buys will drop....but ever since I switched to the eBay method.....hey I try and support certain people with subs (Hawkeye), my impulse purchase have dropped dramatically (well not the eBay ones).

I'm not sure what the huge issue is on redownloading comics, unless your on a capped bandwidth plan, I used to have to do it all the time since I only have a 16 gig iPad. Ironically my new note has a ton more space since I can just use SD cards.

That said the public at large....well kind of seems pissed. lol

Honestly I wish there was a drat way to remove comics permanently from ones library. So much random crap I'd love to thin out.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waterhaul posted:

Image just decided to team up with HumbleBundle for some ridiculously cheap comics :stare:

You are looking at some of the best comics of the last year for nothing.

Hey for once reading the previous posts didn't lead me finding a really great deal...that expired. Granted DRM free is well odd since I can't add to Comixology. What's the other nice default comic reader for iOS? I do have one, but it can't recall the name. It was decent and had syncing features, but I have no clue if a better one was available.

Edit: it was comic book lover.

Sarchasm posted:

1) Runaways is all up, last I checked.

2) loving awful. And the web interface isn't much better.

Let me second that the android app was totally crap.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 4, 2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syrinxx posted:

Another $2.99 omnibus over at DHD. Today it's a collection of comics that take place between Star Wars Episode I and II. Almost 500 pages.

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/2096/

Seems a little overpriced. :v:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know why, but I signed up for a full priced month of MU even though my pat memory suggests that the app still sucks as of Spring...maybe it got better....:)

Also I generally use the ipad at home and my note on the go.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 10, 2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Man, Marvel Unlimited was a pretty great purchase. It's really nice reading comics on my tablet compared to my laptop.

How hard do they crack down on account sharing? I'm considering sharing my account with my friend who lets me use his HBO Go account if they're as lax as some other media streaming sites.

I assume the rule of thumb is doing ne logged on at the same time if in drastically different places. Usually one other person is fine since they might be a family member.

I also have to add that the Android app is light years better then it was before, even on a phone.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Extra Punisher codes in the spoiler block. Just post if you redeemed them. Enjoy!

PUNISHER 7 FMDBFRQIGPKE
PUNISHER 8 FMDH3HNVDDFU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ebenezer posted:

Grabbed these. Thanks!

Sure thing!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaz-L posted:

American Flagg won a ton of awards, and The Boys is the "Grrrr, superheroes are SO STUPID, I HATE THEM SO MUCH I'LL WRITE ALL ABOUT THEM" classic that people on this here forum and elsewhere on the internet love to gush about (I think Garth Ennis is a talented writer that has indulged his own foibles more than a good editor should allow). Mark Waid doing the Green Hornet should be fun. Legenderry seems like such a goofy concept that I can't help but like it, the Bob's Burgers book is supposed to be very accurate to the show and Django/Zorro was fun.

Garth via Crossed (and another fellows Fall of Cuthlu) left me so dejected and drained that it actually helped ease me into Marvel Superheroes (along with the Cap Returns Ultimates Cover). Man is good but sometimes given to...extremes.

His war comics are fantastic though and I think Dynamite publishes them.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Scribd launched their own Netflix for comic service including lots of material from Marvel, IDW, and others. It's got a free trial for the first month. I signed up and was pleasantly surprised (though it makes perfect sense) to see for Marvel at least that the books are in trade format. Hello Hickman FF run! No clue on how good the app is as I need to download one of the books to my phone. Also it's a note 3 so perhaps it's not the best test bed. Still that was a surprise out of nowhere...and hey worst case it'd a free month of trades!

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2015/02/scribd-launches-its-netflix-for-comics-with-10000-titles/

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 10, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syrinxx posted:

Holy poo poo that scribd service looks amazing. How did I not know about this? They even have audiobooks, and now comics too? :catstare:

Eh I'll just add I'm not really in love with the Andriod app and level of zoom...of course I'm on a phablet so it may not be a fair comparison till I can try it on the ipad or computer.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm the iPad app is a lot better for Scribd, it's a glorified pdf reader, but it's workable. I'm really impressed with them having complete runs for things like Hicksman FF.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlmightyBob posted:

Hoping that now that Marvel, IDW, Archie, Valiant, and others all have all you can read style subscriptions that DC will finally jump on so I can read Green Lantern and poo poo.

EDIT: Wow, I would NOT suggest going with Scribd, they're reader is complete rear end and loads pages in a flickery mess.

Yeah, it does kind of suck and I suspect my generosity is coming from the fact it's currently free.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flameingblack posted:

My mom found a whole lot of books she wanted to read on Scribd, so it's not a total waste. There's not a lot of stuff on there, and their browser for comics is total garbage.

As I said viewed under the fact it's free this month. Truthfully, I think I'll just be going back to Marvel Unlimited.

Oh why the hell can the Marvel App for Android not have an only download on Wifi option (besides system settings to prevent background downloads)?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casyl posted:

Hell I'd pay a separate subscription from Prime for comixology unlimited.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The HBO animated series was pretty badass.

In fairness a large part of that was soley due to Keith David.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shitshow posted:

I like Comic Zeal so much I even use it for files I download from Comixology (as I like having everything in a single app, if possible). Side-loading into it via iTunes is a breeze, too.

Wait how can you use Comixology files in anything else?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I completely forgot that Amazon has that neat little panel thing. It's like a guided view and considering how cheap they are with digital trades, it's an option worth considering even without a Kindle device.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know the Marvel Unlimited app is a crapton better now, my only real issue with it now is a i wish that it wouldn't occasionally chop off text and and images sometimes on the older comics (newer ones really don't have the issue). Truthfully it's not that better and the app (on the ipad and even Android) is a lot less crash happy now. I'd say this is finally the time for MU to shine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

krakagar posted:

It's certainly a lot better than it was on the iPad. There are still a few silly problems with it. I like to read single pages but holding the iPad landscape so the page is the width of the screen, but whenever you do turn it sideways it automatically switches to a two page, which is really annoying.

Funny enough that's exactly the reason I canceled it last time. I'm still having the problem, but since I lock it in one position I've been mitigating it by just reading it in one page mode. That said, it really needs to be at the top of the bug squashing list since a lot of the stability issues have been fixed.

krakagar posted:

Also for some reason it seems to cut off a couple of cm from the right edge of the screen.

But yeah it's much better than it used to be.
Yeah, this one is the one that bugs me a bit more, mostly because I have to lose story or art. I suspect it's because they use an algorithm or non manual scanning for the smart panels. I do wish they used HD titles for everything, but for the cost...I'm fine with it.

I really do love the concept of the service, and I finally feel, some notable fixes notwithstanding, the execution is finally there. I'm going to cancel out the monthly subscription and switch to yearly soon.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FBI is going to have busy database building event today.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobkatt013 posted:

Marvel is having a buy one get one free sale.

The fact it works on collected editions makes it even better. Though in some cases it makes more sense to buy individually then getting the collected edition. Say first Spiderman masterwork for example it's cheaper to get the first 10 issues on your own.

This sale is going to lead to some ridiculous possibilities....like all of Hickman FF run....of course it's probably still more then getting a used hardcover...but eh.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hadji murad posted:

fake edit: right, buy the issues. 12 dollars instead of 20.
This is how you do it.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 21, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been playing around with the chromecast screen cast option and the various comic apps...it's pretty cool, especially using guided view. It's useful if you don't want to use a phone as you primary screen and you have a tv nearby. Admittedly it's a rather niche application, but I think it's a pretty fun way to read and use the app as a remote.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rusty Kettle posted:

What apps have this? Last time I checked, neither comixology nor comicrack had this option.

Go to the Chromecast cast app (at least for Android) and select Cast Screen. Once selected just start up your regular comic app. You may need to rotate it for the best view.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Medullah posted:

And sadly not all phones/tablets can do this. :(

You mean the cast screen feature?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Medullah posted:

Yeah unless it's changed recently not all models can mirror the screen. My Galaxy S3 couldn't. I upgraded to a Note 4 which can last year.

Ah I see, I only got Chromecast back around November when I already had a Note 3. It really is an amazing way to read a comic when in bed or stretched out on a couch. Was actually testing it out just now with that Wolverine and Jubilee Vampire arc series I got...well at some point (its actually a pretty decent mini). The fact I finally got my note 3 set up to properly use my SDXC card means I can save a ton on not getting a new tablet (just use the note as a storage beast with root in Link2SD) and spend more of it on the Marvel sale.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Friendly Reminder....Go Buy Marvel stuff!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PelvicNerve posted:

FWIW, I just noticed the current Uncanny X-Men sale apparently stacks in a weird way with the Marvel code.
I didn't look too much into it but basically, when adding these $1 X-books on top of $2 books already in your basket, the $2 books will be marked down to 0.
I think the order in which books are added matters.

I didn't try to optimize this or particularly exploit it, I just noticed it when my basket jumped like 5 bucks after adding the X-Men issues on sale. I figured "why not" and checked out.

Uh yes, this works, I have no idea why, but it works. I don't even think I'll likely read these X-Men issues, but 38 issues for $4. I mean poo poo that could be Rob Liefeld on crack quality writing and I'd be hard pressed to complain.

quote:

Order Total: $25.75
Your discount saves you: $44.76

For what it's worth Strange Tales or some of the original Nick Fury Books are 99 cents, no idea if you can do anything with those ones too.

onefish posted:

VVV Sure, but there are obvious advantages to buying, too: for me, I dislike the reading experience of Unlimited, I want to have more than 12 books downloaded at a time, and I like specifically allocating money toward the works I enjoy and not buying the ones I don't.
This is me too, the fact that landscape is too borked and I can't have more than 12 issues, makes MU more of a cheap way to sample then a way to read a whole run.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Marvel Unlimited app just got updated for Android...and it has a working landscape mode. We may finally have a functional and quality app.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syrinxx posted:

Woah there let's not say things we can't take back
:lol:
There are still some dialog cut offs that comes with scanning thousands of titles...but it really works in landscape now in guided and non guided mode. MU just became a hell of a lot better.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you! I had just quit before the new landscape update and was planning to signup once a coupon appeared.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casyl posted:

Is there a way to get the free month to add to an existing sub?

Just cancel and reup. I think it should just add on more time. Not sure how this works with an annual account.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

That's 2 months in a row huh.

Yep canceled and reupped and now good until end the of may.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat Hickman's entire Avengers/New Avengers is up for sale as a prelude to Secret Wars.

Wha......*eye twitches*

Well I guess I can finally get that New Avengers Annual.

Edit nope that one isn't on sale.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 4, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LordPants posted:

And all you need to know about Inifinty is there are bad guys, they do bad things for a while, then the good guys win, also thanos is there and then thanos gets captured

Uhhh forgetting hammer time?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone else's Marvel Unlimited account kinda hosed?

I'm paid up, but it keeps asking me to upgrade and won't let me view comics. Weird.

Nope. I did have that before though and I just logged in an out. I also seem to recall it did that one time and I was still able to view stuff.

Was just using the Android one and it worked fine. Sooooooooo much better than it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I though that might be the problem, but I've only ever used it on android. I signed out, signed on my PC and still it says I'm not an unlimited member.

Dunno how to clear the app cache on the tablet though...

Oddly enough I had this error come up today, but all I had to do was sign out, but this was on the app. For clearing the app cache bring up the info button for the app, like if you had wanted to move it to an SD card or uninstall it. That said if the website is giving you an issue, it may be a server side screw up on Marvels end.