Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

IUG posted:

Yup there goes me buying on Comixology. I wonder if some creators are fleeing to substack because of this.

Ditto. At least 2000AD still lets you download their books, they do it right.

I did like when Image used to do it on their site, and many books would still let you get that DRM free download on comixology. Not allowing that option anymore is corporate lameness up the wazoo.

I gotta have it in Perfect Viewer, gotta have zoom fix remembered between pages, and it's nice to have it to backup in case a service goes awol later on etc.

I don't understand how comixology's viewer is so terrible and lacking in options. If that's the dystopian future of the medium, at least make it well done. Even the most basic PC viewers like Honeyview let you pick and save a zoom level. It's a must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

When you're right you're right, kinks to work out there. Their recent stuff is high res at least. Definitely higher quality than back when they were on clickwheel. And their vintage releases seem to be fixed up compared to then too, here's that Judge Death bit from Case Files 3 (via the Humble Bundle release, which seems the same as their own site's release):

But definitely, all Bolland art should be in even more pristine form than that. It belongs in a museum!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah, Indiana Roasted :wal:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ugh this is awful. I mean I know comixology was bought by amazon ages ago but I've been kind of pushing it to the back of my head but I guess I cant ignore it anymore. A real shame, it got me back into buying and reading comics, and I guess I'll fall out of that habit with this, losing work and pandemic stuff already put comic purchases at the bottom of my list, this might be the nail in the coffin, lmao.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure. Plus, I gotta have the DRM free download option thingy for digital comics.

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/on-sale?edition=download

Speaking of, a collection with much of Judge Dredd's 80s-early 90s democracy story is on sale for 8 bucks in a digital Essential, including that mega-classic tale America. These Essential versions of the earlier 80s ones have recent colors which look pretty good too.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 22, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

At least for now for Image comics, I'm doing Google play books for the DRM free download option.

Extracting the epub pics folder into a cbz zip so it displays properly in Perfect Viewer. Do what I gotta do. They also have pdf but in lower quality.

Speaking of visibility, it is wild how easy it is to miss a comic exists. I just learned about Mignola's Baltimore today for example, took a while to come across that. Research is half the battle for entertainment, I can't think of much I've gotten from a storefront these days.

I'll find out a band I like had an album out two years ago, etc. And I do follow a few on the ol' social media. It's just wild.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 4, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Srice posted:

So assuming they don't step back from that bad decision (again), what would be a good Comixology alternative? At this point I'm content to use Marvel and DC's subscription services to read their stuff but for other US publishers as well as manga, is there any good option out there that has a lot of stuff in one place?

Google Play books is what I'm doing for Image books, they also have DRM free downloads as an option generally. On the imagecomics.com website for a comic, there's a buy drop-down link that includes Google and other places you can buy a book.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Image 30th anniversary humble bundle, pretty sweet. Savage Dragon is worth it, plus cool stuff like Astro City, Witchblade, Darkness, and some Spawn, Battlechasers and whatnot. Cyberforce and Shadowhawk also included.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/..._UVYL1FyyJtQeRQ

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I feel ya, it's a strange time for digital comics. At least some do cbz as well on Google Play, like Erik Larsen's books, epub as well sometimes. Seems to vary by author.

I don't like any of the official readers myself, Perfect Viewer for life. Gotta keep my zoom fix percent. That's what I need.

Also I notice Image authors often have a good price on Amazon, but forget to put it on sale on Google. For example Reckless book 1 is drm free on Google's store, is 20 bucks, but is 15 on Amazon digital. No idea why it's like that, I figure they set their own prices? My guess is Google's digital store is a pretty small niche for comics, even though it's the one I'm using now.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A couple more tidbits, you can still get a download of a cbz or pdf for a lot of Image comics, via Google play books. On a store page for a book where you click About Book, if it says "this content is DRM free" it allows a download. That's the only way I buy digital comics, as well as 2000AD's online shop which has downloads etc.

Perfect Viewer is a great viewer for Android I use.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Servoret posted:

What’s worth reading in the bundle besides Saga?

Savage Dragon! I like how across the 90s, 2000s, and 2010s Image bundles, you get all of Savage Dragon. The mini-series and 1-262, the latest issue from this year. Pretty darn sweet. This particular bundle has Savage Dragon 179-262. That's ten years of Savage Dragon issues, up to date.

It's the second issue of the "Invasion!" story arc, but I'd say you could just pick it up and keep reading. Especially anybody who wasn't checking out Dragon anyway, and now owns a bunch of it. This was the period where they were moving focus from the original Dragon to his son Malcolm and adopted daughter Angel. These days circa #262 it's about Malcolm, his wife Maxine, and their bunch of superpowered kids.

Also Savage Dragon: Ultimate Collection 1 is out this week in paper coincidentally. I love the whole series, but for somebody not interested in the whole run, I'd recommend the original mini-series, ongoing #1-21 (the first big arc), and jumping in wherever you can. If anyone has the previous 2000s bundle too, some great jump on points are #145, #150, or #155's Dragon War arc.

And some standouts from this 2010s bundles bunch of #179-262, starting with #179 works, #182-183 are a cool 20th anniversary story, #184-192 is the incredible Savage Dragon on Trial and follow up arc. #193 is A New Beginning, one of those first issue in a bold new direction deals, Malcolm is cemented as the star at this point. #200 and #223-225 are very big oversized anniversary sagas. Comics don't get much bigger than #225, one of the greatest. And since then, it's wild, it's all over the place, and it still rules.

Or barring that, I'd say give any of them a try.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hear about this Omnibus app thing, apparently Image is joining up with it. And the article says they'll allow the ol' drm-free downloads I enjoy, etc, could be something.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/image-vault-ahoy-valiant-sign-up-to-omnibus-digital-comics-app/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

The last place I buy comics and manga from is humble bundles now, when something I might like comes around. (Again, because they sell DRM free) Are there any other platforms that do this?

Google Play's books allows the option for DRM free downloads. When you click "about this book" if it says "this content is DRM free" under Content Protection, you can download a cbz or epub etc, whatever file the author wants up there. So I get some Image comics that way.

2000AD has an online store with DRM free downloads too, the same files that you see in their HumbleBundles etc. But for sure it's a messy time for digital comics.

Also a couple months ago, Image and others announced they're joining this Omnibus comics app thing. Which said they'll have DRM free downloads etc. Hopefully this works out.

https://twitter.com/theomnibusapp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is cool, been meaning to read more of those classics. Collected all of the Ranma books, only read the first 7 or so back in the day.

Random question, does the Viz app have zoom fix? Where you can set a zoom level and save it, without having to reset for each page? Like you can do in PerfectViewer, Honeyview etc?

I'm guessing it doesn't, I don't use any official readers, because I need my fix. Zoom fix.

edit: Well, I tried it, it's not good for me. Landscape orientation automatically shows two pages side by side, and there's no options or customizing at all etc. I don't know why the official readers suck, but I'll just continue not using them. The free image viewers have had these options since the 90s.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 10, 2023