Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uthor posted:

How is this? I like Hickman, but never really heard anything about this series either way.

Bad. He only writes the first five or six issues. After that it turns into typical Avatar Press bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The best of Marvel's Infinite Comics is far and away Deadpool: The Gauntlet. It has a lot of fun with the format and it's a great story as well. Most Infinite books are just kind of lazy and bring in the panels/word balloons one a time. Deadpool actually has art changes and transitions within the panel and I would imagine reading it in the physical version would lessen the experience quite a bit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shawn posted:

The bit with Marcus the centaur's bio is my favorite infinite bit.

That's my favorite character too, he's so dumb but so great. I love that Duggan is putting him in the new Howling Commandos ongoing. But yeah that's one of the gags that I just can't see how the physical copy replicated it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Phylodox posted:

Was there a physical copy? I thought the Infinity issues were digital-exclusive.

Yeah it was released in single issues as Deadpool: Dracula's Gauntlet. I don't buy physical issues anymore though so I never saw it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've read the first volume of the Sixth Gun and liked it okay. I'm getting some more to see if it holds up.

I think the book has improved leaps and bounds as it has gone on. But I was pretty on board after the first arc too. The three minis are good too, the last of which is still in progress. The entire series only has a couple issues left before it wraps up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

On the other hand I recommend all three. Loved the Invaders series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zachack posted:

Opinions on Manifest Destiny?

I love it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

onefish posted:

Archer & Armstrong sale!

https://www.comixology.com/Archer-Armstrong-Sale/page/7768

For the new series, I read and enjoyed through ~16 from an earlier sale. I want to finish out the run, but should I get the Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps crossover issues? I don't currently read any other Valiant series and like the Valiant books enough to buy on sale, but not read ongoing.

VVV edit: thanks. Yeah, realized afterward that they sidebarred the number of each issue in the crossover storyline on the covers, so that was a pretty good indicator.

So, out of curiousity, if I get Archer & Armstrong to 25 and the crossover issues (plus the one-shot), does that feel like a "complete" story? Is that the end of Van Lente's run?

You probably want to get Delinquents as well. And maybe even Ivar, Timewalker. There's also a new volume for Archer and Armstrong coming soon. And there's three one shots, Archer and Armstrong #0, Archer #0 and The One Percent #1.

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 14, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Not so much, it's a spinoff by the same writer though featuring Armstrong's brother.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't really kept up with Astro City's newest volume lately, I'll eventually catch back up, but I definitely recommend dipping your toes in first before going all in. It's hard for me to put myself in the position of someone coming into it totally new while it's already so established but I can imagine some people being overwhelmed by the density of it all. I mean there's a lot going on in the Astro City comics and there's a lot to take in. And when you hear the pitch of a city of superheroes you might think one thing but the way the series approaches it is probably not what you're thinking you're getting into. That said, it is very rewarding and very much worth continuing if you dip your toes in and like what you're getting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing I've read by the Lunas is The Sword and it's great. It has their signature (I guess) art style, but I didn't have a problem with it. And the story is great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Things I have read in this sale that are great: Birthright, East of West, Lazarus, Rasputin, Revival, Sex Criminals, Shutter

Things I have read in this sale that are good: Drifter, Five Ghosts, Great Pacific, Nailbiter, Roche Limit

Lots of good reads available here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm saying this before I even click on the link, but if Ex Machina is for sale get Ex Machina. It's often overlooked and it's good comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irritated Goat posted:

Actually, does anyone have experience with Comic Rack being better for a internal server for comics? My PC already does the work for Plex and such so if I wanted to read comics around the house, I was wondering if Comic Rack is going to be better for that. Right now, I'm using Comic Zeal and it makes me move it to a cloud storage like OneDrive and load 1 issue at a time so it's a bit clunky. :(

YACReader is what you want. With Comic Rack you have to sync the issues to the device. With YACReader you can read them straight from your PC like you would a movie with Plex.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only book by Kirkman I actually read all the way through was Super Dinosaur. Because that book is awesome.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A number of people enjoyed it. I read all of the first series as it came out but I stopped and won't be picking up the new one. It just never clicked for me. I think at some points it worked too much on differentiating its world from the 616 world to the detriment of fleshing out the main characters.

Silk on the other hand was one of bigger surprises of the year for me and I plan on sticking with it for as long as the current writer is on.

I do like Spider-Gwen outside of her series though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think I'll probably pick up The Pantheon Project simply because Leila del Duca is the artist and her stuff on Shutter is amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The original Quantum and Woody run by Priest was great. But it's not really tied to anything anymore and the Q2 revival series by the same team is total garbage. All the new stuff is great (Quantum and Woody 1-12, Goat 0, Valiant Sized, Must Die, Delinquents).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not sure why anyone would use the DC/Marvel apps at all anyway instead of the Comixology app.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Both are really good, I think Incorruptible is the better of the two because it has a sharper focus on one character. It could have easily been an ongoing and I wish it was.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cithen posted:

What's with the Prophet sale starting at issue 21? Lame.

Because the first 20 issues are garbage that is not worth reading. Then they rebooted it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Has anyone checked out this new company called Aftershock Comics? They have some pretty good creators doing books. I just read the first issues of Strayer by Justin Jordan/Juan Gideon and I loved it. I also got the first issue of American Monster by Brian Azzarello /Juan Doe and it was pretty good but I was kind of confused as to what it's actually about because it jumps around a bit too much for a first issue. I also picked up the first issues of Replica by Paul Jenkins/Andy Clarke and Super Zero by Amanda Conner/Jimmy Palmiotti/Rafael de Latorre but I haven't read those yet. There's also a couple books by Garth Ennis and Marguerite Bennett but I didn't pick those up because I don't like Ennis and the Bennett book didn't look like something I'd enjoy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I got all the first issues cause there's a bundle. I'll let ya know when I get to any of them!

I read the first issue of Super Zero now too and I like it quite a bit. It's not at all what I was expecting. I don't think the bundle comes with Strayer though because I remember skipping it because it didn't have that and it had the two books I didn't want in it and Strayer was probably the best one I've read so far.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't believe there's anything like that for Android. Even Comicrack required you to sync content. You can't just read from your server. There is an iOS app like that called YACReader. I don't think Android support is in their planning though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Birthright, Ghosted, and Nailbiter are really good. Joshua Williamson is a good writer. I've never read Xenoholics but I think I might now.

As for the IDW sale, I've never read any of those. But Infinite Loop is in the header image though not in the actual sale it seems and it's a nice read with gorgeous art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shutter and Tech Jacket are good. Can't speak for the rest. Shutter's gorgeous art alone is worth paying for, but the story is good too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey, I update my Valiant OP quite frequently thank you very much.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It was my favorite Wonder Woman, until Legend of Wonder Woman quickly overtook it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Sixth Gun is awesome, I'm sad it only has one issue left.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean, if you've got an iPad Pro or use a high resolution or a 4K display it's not going to look nearly as good as Comixology's books. So it's smaller resolution than their offerings for sure but it still looks fine.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Do not be fooled by "Jonathan Hickman's" God is Dead. Hickman wrote the first arc only and the series is typical Avatar Press uber violent and sexual garbage.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Most of this is really good reading, but a special nod to Avengers and The Infinity Gauntlet. It's a Marvel Age/Adventures style reimagining of the Infinity Gauntlet and is a lot of fun in an all-ages kind of way.

Lotta good stuff here. Replica and Strayer are the standouts to me. But Rough Riders, Super Zero, and Jackpot are really good as well. I've heard good about Shipwreck too, but I'm not about to get into another Ellis book before there's at least a trade available.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

One could say that Sex Criminals goes on hiatus after every issue.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anime_Otaku posted:

I got the deluxe X O Manowar books last time they were on sale and I've got a few other things I really should read from Valiant, I know the books are very interconnected, is there a main book that acts as a central point for everything else to come off of?

All books stand on their own pretty much. Same for crossovers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Get the whole thing if you can. The Armor Hunters Deluxe is worth the many times the price alone.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hup posted:

What's good to get from the valiant sale? And don't say all of it.

But all of it is the correct answer. Well, except Shadowman. Skip that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is true. Valiant's on sale every couple months it seems. Plus they seem to be on those bundle site pretty often. Just get anything that looks cool to you. Besides Shadownman there's no real wrong answer.

Ninjak is real good. Your brother's a smart man. Well in this regard at least.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

I have read none of Ninjak but I love the idea of "James Bond but also he's Snake Eyes".

That's a pretty good summation of it. It also features Roku, who is turning into one of my favorite Valiant characters. Matt Kindt has done such a great job with that series. Can't wait until he starts the new X-O series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anything but the new Justice League series.

Lois and Clark is a good idea to read before Superman.

Well it was. But not so much anymore since it doesn't really matter. Still read it though since it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hadji murad posted:

I'm reading Lois and Clark now (on recommendation here) and really enjoying it.

How does Action Comics differ in a non spoiler-y way?

It doesn't. Though the main focus of that title so far has been Lex Luthor. Until the recent crossover story with Superman which was kind of a mess.