Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
There's a Waid DD sale with each of the 28 first issues at .99 a pop. BUT there's also a complete bundle with all 37 issues of the volume for 30 bucks. Ended up getting the bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Yeah, MP is pretty awesome. I had already gotten the first 2 trades during a holiday sale, so I just bought the separate issues from 11 to 17. For some reason, the third trade is more expensive than the separate issues.

I also grabbed Ministry of Space, a short book I had forgotten about. The only things I remember are that it took its sweet time to release back then and I loved the art. Finally, I got that Kirby thing because Kirby but I have honestly no idea what is.

I'm bracing myself for the inevitable Captain America mega-sale we'll get leading to the movie. I hope they put up Brubaker's complete run as I have only read what they published as omnibuses. I'd probably buy the whole thing.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Morrison's Animal Man (re)bought. At least, that's less wallet damaging than The Invisibles or Doom Patrol will be when they eventually go on sale.

Fishylungs posted:

They recently did that with Thor: God of Thunder #19.NOW. Marvel announced they were going to include those codes for a few comics but I haven't seen a list or anything about which series will include it.

Yeah, I was a bit jelly when I bought the first of these and realized buying the issues directly from Comixology for the same price gave you jackshit.

Here's the list of .NOW issues that included the first trade. There are still 3 of them to go this week and next week :

· Avengers #24.NOW – On-Sale 12/24/13

· Savage Wolverine #14.NOW – On-Sale 1/08/14

· All-New X-Men #22.NOW – On-Sale 1/22/14

· Guardians of the Galaxy #11.NOW – On-Sale 1/29/14

· Captain America #16.NOW – On-Sale 02/05/14

· Thor: God of Thunder #19.NOW – On-Sale 02/12/14

· Nova #13.NOW – On-Sale 02/19/14

· Iron Man #23.NOW – On-Sale 03/19/14

· Uncanny X-Men #19.NOW – On-Sale 03/19/14

· Uncanny Avengers #18.NOW – On-Sale 3/26/14

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Waid's Cap run is on sale on Comixology. I haven't read these issues in ages but I remember really liking them. I have fond memories of Man Without a Country and I'm still in the afterglow of that amazing DD run, so I got every issue. Thanks again for the DD recommendation, it's absolutely the kind of run that reminds me why I read these funny books in the first place.

I assume this Cap sale is only the precursor to a Brubaker sale. Considering the 2 bundles aren't super expensive, I'm expecting great things.

There's also a Walking Dead mega sale but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. At least not from 49 to 80-90 because I found that part pretty boring.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
The Winter Soldier hype marches on with the Marvel Monday sale on that Winter Soldier series from a couple years back. I've only read the first trade as it was on sale earlier this year, and that was rather good, not Bru Cap good but stil good. That first trade collects Fear Itself 7.1, which is kind of a must read to understand what is going on but is not part of the sale.

There's also a few Black Widow minis on sale but I have no idea what they're worth.

(Some accuracy edits)

PelvicNerve fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 31, 2014

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
As expected, the Marvel week-end sale is dedicated to the Winter Soldier.
Basically, the first 42 issues of Bru's Captain America run are at $.99, as well as the 6 Fallen Son issues.

There's also a bundle with all 48 books for $35. Even if you don't care about Fallen Son, that's still cheaper than the separate Cap issues.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
The remaining 29 issues of Brubaker's Cap are part of the Marvel Monday sale along Reborn.
It's not mindblowingly cheap considering you could already get all 35 issues in a bundle for 40 bucks but coupled with last week's sale, it's amazing value.

I didn't comment on the quality of this run in my previous posts but these issues make for a seriously great reading. It's a perfect jumping point for anyone willing to get into Cap. I think Brubaker has a great grasp of the fine balance the character offers between the super hero tales, war stories and espionage thriller aspects. The art helps a lot in that regard as it strikes the right tone and look for the book and is pretty consistent over these 70+ issues. I won't lie, I had previously read Epting in Avengers but this is the run that put him on my radar.

Plus, he really cements that supporting cast and the rogues gallery, to the point where the book floats very well for a long time without its namesake.

Finally, and that's the most satisfying part, the whole story flows (almost) seamlessly from one end to the other, with every new part building up organically on what went on before.

I write "almost" because I still feel Reborn is a tad artificial and doesn't fit particularly well between issues. I guess it was an editorial mandate and it's not a bad story, it just feels a bit sloppy in the middle of that well oiled machinery. These gripes aside, it's still a must-read.

With the Winter Soldier series on sale last week, as well as Cap vol. 6, I guess the only parts of the Brubaker epic I'm now missing digitally are the Marvels Project and the Cap and Bucky issues he cowrote.

Super late edit: scratch that, the bundle is now $30, better than my 33 for 29 issues + the Reborn trade.

PelvicNerve fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 7, 2014

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Well, I was going to recommend East of West and Zero. I guess we've covered pretty much every title on sale by now.

Looking back, it's amazing how Image went from this Extreme Bllood Strike shithouse of derivative super heroes to a flagship of non super hero stuff.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, in one of the first major moves made since the Amazon acquisition, Comixology has now been regionalized and Europeans are forced to pay in Euros. I was dreading this, and sure enough comics have suddenly become slightly more expensive, but at least they aren't converting 1:1 so it could be a lot worse.

It's been this way for a couple of months in France where they basically force you to check out through comixology.fr and won't let you use the .com site.

I've found a workaround for Marvel and DC though: buy through their own digital stores, you'll still be able to pay in USD. That's what I've been doing.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
So basically, the new iPad comixology app is the old one stripped of its store features? ie it's only the reader part.

My comixology app is currently 100GB, so I'm in no hurry to delete my library and migrate it to the new app.

Meanwhile, I've subscribed to the Dark Horse newsletter and kind of hope I'll receive a 10% off code by tomorrow. To be honest, if I don't, I'll still go ahead and grab a shitload of books before it ends. Amazing sale.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
At the very least, it's safe to assume that the old app won't get updates. Which means that when they finally let you sort and edit your library, create reading lists and whatnot, you'll be poo poo out of luck on the old app.

I guess I'll migrate content slowly from one to the other but yeah, it's going to suck for a lot of people. The $5 credit is a nice gesture but they did a terrible job at explaining why it was so important to have a new app. It really comes across as "our new overlords don't want to pay a dime in IAP to Apple so gently caress usability. Also, here are some new features: blank."

Playing a bit with the new app, the removal of store links means it behaves like the old one when it was offline: no links from the info panel to the store to check what other books the creators did and when you're done reading a book, the only option to keep reading is the next book in the library, no links to download or buy the next book. I haven't tried but I wouldn't be surprised if they also killed off the "next in story arc" links.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
To be fair, anyone on the lookout for bundles or special discount codes was already using the webstore. Not to mention bypassing the lovely €/$ exchange rate.

I'm still annoyed by this move because of integration issues, having 2 apps and no warning given but the store was better, when you knew what you were looking for.

I liked the random browsing from the app though, following links to links to links.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
At $12 the Batman and Son Deluxe Ed was already a great deal (bought if at that price). At 6, it should be a no brainer, short of a Morrison allergy.

Hell, I just used this stealth sale as an excuse to gift it.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bobkatt013 posted:

Scarlet Spider is on sale for .99. Go and buy it as it's an amazing series
Thanks! I came to the thread looking for opinions on this.
As someone who grew up in the eighties/nineties, I have this knee jerk reaction when I come across Venom/Carnage/Scarlet Spider stuff and tend to dismiss it.

After reading Remender's first Venom trade, I've been beating myself for having these reactions and ignoring the $.99 sale a couple of months ago. Time to cope with my nineties PTSD.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
When it comes to collections, my rule of thumb is that if the price per issue averages below $1.20 or maybe 1.30, I can buy them on an impulse and not feel like kicking myself the day the separate issues go on sale for .99.

bobkatt013 posted:

Nope I did. They may suck now, but this run defined the x-men. I half expect there to be another X-men sale on Monday due to the movie coming out next week.

Definitely. Considering the actual DoFP storyline wasn't even part of the sale, which ended right before the arc starts, there's very probably at least another sale on the horizon. I'd love a God Loves, Man Kills sale.

I've mostly outgrown Claremont and his stuff hasn't aged as well as Kirby for example but I won't lie, I tend to get every issue of his X-Men run that goes on sale, if only because these are comics I grew up with and loved so much back then.

PelvicNerve fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 18, 2014

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
There's a sale with the fifty first issues of Fantastic Four, the Lee/Kirby stuff. As much as I didn't really feel like recommending their X-Men run because I felt it was a bit dated and less essential than Claremont/Byrne, I wholeheartedly recommend this one.
It sets up so many things still current in the MU. Where some older stuff might be corny in hindsight, it isn't the case here, there's really this specific sense of wonder, adventure and excitement you can find in some Silver Age comics.

There's also a sale on Waid's digital only trilogy. I'll give them a try because after his DD run, I'd try anything by Waid.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Given that I've purchased hundreds of trades in various formats on Amazon.com, matchbook could be amazing.
I'd probably get hosed over cross-region stuff though, since I'm in Europe.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I have fond memories of the first few Cassaday issues of the 2002 Cap series. Does anyone know how the rest of that volume is?

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Dark Horse are having a sale on the Strain comic book adaptation. I hadn't read Del Toro's novels and am interested in the show so I picked everything up. After 9 issues, I'm finding it pretty good. It does feel kind of compressed since they're adapting a novel in 11 issues but it's still pretty great to binge read. They've adapted the first 2 (out of 3) novels so far and apparently, season 1 of the show will be the first book.

As an aside, I wish Comixology ripped off parts of the way the Dark Horse app manages its library: it's pretty great to have different volumes of a series grouped under a single library entry. I kind of hate how every one-shot is it's own entry in Comixology when it could often be grouped with a parent series.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Another Dark Horse plug: there's a The Goon mega-bundle on sale for $40. That looks like a good deal.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
There's a Wasteland sale on Comixology with 50 issues for $25. Does anyone around have an opinion on how good/bad this is?

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I bought the bundle and the few issues after 50 that were on sale. I haven't read anything yet.

That's one thing I really like about these digital storefronts: they can (to an extent) level the playing field for all these lesser known titles.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Teenage Fansub posted:

gently caress. I just bought Long Halloween in the sale issue by issue.
If it's any consolation, I bought the Black Mirror issues before the trade went on sale.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Am I the only encountering lovely timeouts on the Marvel redemption page?

unl33t posted:

The 10 Batman titles at $2.99 under the "Essential Batman Collections Sale" banner are most likely a price match, as those same ten titles are part of today's Kindle Deal of the Day, so if you're interested in picking those up I'd do it today, they'll probably go back to full price tomorrow.

Yeah, the banner on Comixology even mentions it's one day only.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Uthor posted:

Also, 100 comics for $10. The only thing I recognize is Becky Cloonan's Wolves.

https://www.comixology.com/Comixology-Submit-SDCC-2014-Bundle/bundle/763/

I got the previous Submit bundle they did a few months back. I didn't know much, if anything, in it and while not everything was great and I didn't even read everything, that was pretty cool to see different stuff from the usual. I'd recommend giving this a try for the hell of it.

edit: and yeah, everyone should have Essex County in their digital library.
If you guys are looking for something different, Box Office Poison is good.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Great that they're putting more Morrison Batman stuff on sale. I saw it this morning and I was all like "EKIRTS SREIDLOS NEVES!". I even got a second set of these for a friend who moved halfway around the globe and who I already got the Batman & Son, RIP and Final Crisis trades. Forgot to get him the Time and the Batman issues last week though.

As an aside on the Annihilation bundle, it's kind of silly that they forgot the 4 Drax issues as an introduction to Annihilation, they're in the paper trades but not the digital ones and aren't considered part of the Annihilation story arc.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume tonight the sale is going to be Bendis's guardian series or the Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning bundle along with the War and Realm crossovers. Nova may or may not be included.
My vote is on that Guardians bundle. Maybe War, Realm or the Thanos Imperative. I'd like to pick War of Kings as it's the only one I'm missing digitally.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
There we go: DnA Guardians on sale, as well as these 4 Drax issues missing from Annihilation I mentioned earlier.

And Thanos Rising, a 5 issue mini from last year that basically retells his origin story.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bobkatt013 posted:

How is Thanos Rising?

Like everyone, I'd say it's okay at best. I found it interesting but really predictable. I liked the art and there's one plot point there that is used (and explained) in Infinity.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Marvel Monday is Thanos. Very personal but the only thing I'd recommend there is the Thanos Imperative.

I find most of the other stuff hasn't aged too well and is Marvel Unlimited material. Still, Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet are probably the best picks in that list.

I haven't read the 2003 Thanos series though.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Another Wednesday with redemption issues. That's like 4 weeks in a row. Fix your poo poo, Marvel!

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Nova sale with the complete DnA volume and 10 issues of the current volume.

I'm grabbing the DnA issues, not too sure about the newer series though.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wonder if DH will have to remove the Star Wars stuff from their servers once Marvel starts publishing.

Is that a possibility?

Going by the licenses video games precedent, I'd say no or they shouldn't have to at least. For example, when Activision lost the Marvel license, the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games and their additional content stopped being sold on digital marketplaces but to this day, you can still redownload stuff you purchased.

That's the rule of thumb I operate with: stuff can stop being sold but AFAIK, you can still redownload things you bought.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Apparently the sale extends to all of Kamandi, which is awesome.
They're kind of misleading since .99 an issue is the regular price for Kamandi. So I guess they're just showcasing issue 1.

Kamandi is awesome though. They really need to step the gently caress up and get all the Fourth World stuff digitally.

I'm on the fence about 52 because I already own the trades but I really enjoyed it. Hell, I'm the guy who liked Countdown.

Late edit: I bought Infinite Crisis because it had been too long and after like 4 pages and some confusion, I realized my favorite part of IC is actually the OMAC project mini.

PelvicNerve fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 19, 2014

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

I got a bunch of comics through Humble Bundles, and Calibre wasn't really cutting it for keeping things organized. So I decided to try out ComicRack, but it turns out I am easily confused by unfamiliar software. Does anyone else use this software? Is there any way to use it to automatically download metadata? Manually going through and entering the authors for every comic seems tedious.

I use Comicrack for all the bundle and DRM free stuff. The plugins I use to keep things tidy are:
- Comic Vine Scraper: that gets you meta data from Comic Vine.
- Organize library and folders: that helps name and structure your files and folders. I apply it after scraping.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Is that still setting up mysteries without any payoff?

Because that is what made me lose interest.

That was my experience with the series as well. I went from "awesome, Lost meets Runaways with a pinch of Buffy" to "this is getting old". Yet, I remember being very engrossed when I started reading the trades so I'm giving it a chance and picked all the issues on sale.

I'm hating that DC sale as it reminds me these dumb one-shot months tend to gently caress up my collecting as I never know if there's a point in reading them when I catch up on series. Between this and crossovers, picking DC trades can be confusing.

Also it reminds me there's one starting right now.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
On the Dark Horse side, there's a huge BPRD Hell on Earth sale, which I recommend from what I've read.

Yeah, I'm trying to not be the comics equivalent of the Steam only guy I am on PC.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Oh poo poo, Stray Bullets, it's on my list of things I want to see on sale. It was right there next to Doom Patrol and Astro City.

Also, there's another of these Comixology Submit bundles where you get 80 books for ten bucks. I usually pick these as they're a great way to discover stuff I would never have heard of otherwise. Not everything is great but it's nice to see some variety.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Yeah, people should totally hop on that Thor sale, I really enjoyed the series.

As for the Malakith arc, it's my least favorite arc but it's still pretty good, it's kind of meaningful for Iron Man and yeah, we have yet to see it pay it off.

Also, the dragon issue is absolutely awesome.

Great way to catch up before the new Aaron Thor series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

onefish posted:

It's way under $1/issue this way, at least?

Yeah, the first 8 trades collect 1-83 for less than 50 bucks.
I'd recommend them all as I love the series but people should bear in mind this is old school Vertigo.