Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Uthor posted:

Image Comics and Top Shelf - DRM-free comics are still in the hands of the small guys, but Image opened up their entire catalog to PDF, CBR, and ePub downloads last year. Top Shelf followed suit at the beginning of this year at a smaller scale, but include discounted bundles with their physical books.

2000 AD also offers a boatload of DRM-free comics (which means you have no excuse not to buy all the complete Dredd case files!), and Heavy Metal also has some (although not that much).

kujeger fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
The PDFs (at least the ones from the Image sale (or any you buy directly from Image)) are varying. Some of them are huge and contain images at 6000x6000 resolutions with all speech bubbles and text on separate layers -- which are REALLY awesome. Some are just the same as the cbz. Some are even worse (but also bigger in filesize). Unfortunately there's not really any way of knowing what you get until you buy it (or ask someone that already did).

edit:
examples of hi-res from Revival 6:
Cover

Panel

kujeger fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 1, 2014

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Uthor posted:

Double post!

Here is a page from Pretty Deadly #1, PDF, opened in SumatraPDF on my Win8 machine hooked up to a 1080p monitor, and zoomed in 400%.

(230 MB file size)

Same page, CBR file, opened in CDisplayEx, zoomed in 400%.

(59 MB file size, the JPG of the whole page is 1523x2343)

For comparison, Sex Criminals #1, PDF, same thing.

(69 MB file size)

And the CBR.

(27 MB file size, the JPG of the whole page is 1523x2343)

All the files are perfectly readable with no artifacts that I see. Seems interesting that the CBR files seem zoomed in slightly more at 400%, but that might just be how the programs calculate zooms.

I read on a 2560x1440 display, so the difference there is often noticeable, particularly the text can get blurry. If you use some tools to dig into the pdfs, the big ones are very unoptimized - the images are almost not compressed at all.
I actually wonder if they are what they send to the printer.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

This is great!