Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

My only gripe with the new iOS MU app is that some of the two page spreads get rendered as 1 page making them hard to read in landscape mode.

The embedded AR stuff is fuckin hype, tho(for the comics they've linked the AR stuff in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

kujeger posted:

2000 AD also offers a boatload of DRM-free comics (which means you have no excuse not to buy all the complete Dredd case files!), and Heavy Metal also has some (although not that much).

can you buy the Case Files with with the 2000AD iOS app?

if so I'm gonna be fuckin broke. Dreddin that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

trip report:

2000AD app, iOS

Works great with US ipads, was able to buy the Dredd Case Files and it downloaded to my newsstand app thinger. Reading was crisp. Only down side was you couldn't stream the issue as it downloaded.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

KO Derf posted:

I'm sure you guys will be the best to ask about this. I've been out of comics for almost a decade, and have been thinking about getting back in with this digital viewing. I'm pretty sure my best bet is to get the Marvel Unlimited yearly package so I can catch up on 10 years of stories at my leisure.
Does anyone know if the Plus package is good, or is that just throwing away $30? I doubt I'll ever go to a con or buy $300 worth of merchandise at the shop, so are the "more surprises" worth it?

The freebies are kinda meh. So far they've sent me:
-an Ultron action figure. It sits on my computer and judges me.
-An awful poster that I gave to my mini who loves that kinda thing.

But the promo code for new comics purchases is worth it(you get like 5% off buying through the marvel digital store). I'm purchasing 3-5 new comics/trades a week so it helps keep the prices reasonable.

Honestly, I'd say start with the basic package because you can upgrade to Plus whenever.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm trying to transfer my DRM Free comics with YACReader and it is painful and so unreliable. The app crashes if I try to import more than one comic at a time. I heard that this app was supposed to be way better (and cheaper) than Comic Zeal but if I have to import my poo poo one at a time that is gonna drive me crazy.
Edit: Okay, it seems to be mostly with larger files and rars that won't transfer correctly. Anybody find any ways to deal with this?

Best DRM Free comic reader is Bookman, imo. If we're talking iPad, anyway. http://bookman.tsumikistudio.com/en/ It has a built in FTP server to upload files(with folder structure), which is kinda nice.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I've been asking to have the AR codes be tapable in iOS. Trying to hold my phone up to my ipad is suck

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

i have to buy all my comics through the marvel website for the MU code to work(which is loving dumb but whatever), so its not a huge inconvienance. Just frustrating that the economic lines are getting so strained that we cant have all-in-one apps anymore.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Now I'm imagining them closing comixology and routing everything though iBooks.

Oh God :stonk:

2000ad is using newsstand as their base app and it's not too bad. No guided view tho.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sarchasm posted:

I've done that before, but paying a 20% markup on every purchase isn't ideal. If I could just pay the cover price and not have to deal with lovely e-reader programs I'd be much happier.

Go to your bank and ask for credit/debit card that will work in Japan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope it comes with the smelly nerd behind the counter that disdainfully rings up my purchase.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you're on wifi you can read all you want. Outside of that, you can download up to 12 issues.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Age of Apocalypse is on sale:
https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Age-of-Apocalypse/bundle/706

I spent all weekend reading these on Marvel Unlimited and they weren't as terrible and 90s as I remember them. There's still lovely Action Poses and Gambit and Wolverine are 2cool4school but the plot works really well.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sleepingbuddha posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to get the comics from the Humble Bumble deals onto my iPad 2. I was wondering if there is any noticeable difference between an HD PDF and a .cbr file. The file size for the HD comics are a heck of a lot bigger. I'm sure there's a difference, but would I likely notice on an old iPad?

Also, they recommend Comic Flow, which I've been using for a while. Is that considered the best .cbr reader for the iPad?

I tried Comic Flow and didn't really get all that excited for it. I really like Bookman:
http://bookmanlab.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/bookman-for-ipad/

If Goodreader starts getting CBR/CBZ support, I'd jump to that in a heartbeat.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Some codes are only valid at the Vendor's store. IE: https://comicsstore.marvel.com

but if its a code given by Comixology, I dunno.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All 18 of those Legacy issues are up on Marvel Unlimited if you wanna save yourself some coin.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

StashAugustine posted:

So is Unlimited totally hosed up for everyone else right now?

I just checked the website and its super slow.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

anyone else having problems downloading comics from the iOS comixology app? It's being super slow. I power cycled the ipad and checked my wifi speeds, everything looks good on my end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Uthor posted:

Going slow on my Android app. I had a similar problem a month ago and it cleared up in a couple of hours.

im bugging them on their twitter. its not going well.