Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rirse posted:

Where do you enter this at? Didn't work on the Marvel digital shop.

Oops, sorry, I meant when you sign up for Marvel Unlimited. I don't know where you enter the code, I just paraphrased what I read in the email Marvel sent me.

Edit: According to ComicBookDB, it's Judge Kray-Tor. Has some vaguely defined "graviton" powers.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Scarlet's good, right?

I like it, but it's very "gently caress the police" and people can be hit or miss on Maleev's art. Also, it started coming out before Occupy Wall Street and the Arab Spring and it became a little too close to reality. There have been really long breaks in the schedule because of it (two years between 5 and 6, almost a year since issue 7) and what's up on comiXology is no where near a complete story.

LordPants posted:

Bendis drew a comic book? I never knew that.

Fun fact: when he and David Mack (best known for his art) met, they were going to do a book together. Mack was going to write and Bendis was going to do the art.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Warren Ellis sale today. Get Nextwave and Ironman

His Secret Avengers was good. Issue #20 is an amazing stand alone story.
https://www.comixology.com/Secret-Avengers-20/digital-comic/31636

Also #16 has a flying car and #18 has Shang Chi doing kung fu in Escher space. #17 is very skipable...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

May 25th

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

EVGA Longoria posted:

Thanks, Picked up Volume 1.

Do the volumes add anything not in individual issues? It's $15 for Vol 2, but buying the 6 issues individually @ $1.99 would be $3 cheaper. Seems really stupid.

Do the collections have the letters pages? If not, you would actually get more with the individual issues.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Also, Batman '66.

Aren't/weren't those always $0.99?

ComicBookDB shows that they went up to $1.99 with #23. Was that retroactive?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

hup posted:

Naw they upped the price as soon as it was popular

But did they up all the prices going back to #1 or just the ones from that issue onward.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Was the IDW Doctor Who Humble Bundle posted? 85 comics for $15. You can get half of them for pay what you want (even $0) if you don't want to drop $15.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books?doctorwho_bundle&utm_source=Tumblr&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=Humble%20Doctor%20Who%20Comics%20Bundle

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I haven't bought the books, but the covers I see online don't say anything about a digital copy on the banner across the bottom (the first issue has it). Also, the book is $2.99, and generally only the $4 books have digital codes.

It's actually weird to me that the first issue came with a code.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rirse posted:

Also there is a sale on all the TMNT books. Are the original books worth getting still. I never read them as a kid, as I only got to read the Archies book back then.

Man, all those titles are confusing. I'm assuming half of them are the same thing as the other half, but colored?

Anyway, I read about two volumes worth of the "B&W Classics" before. I'd say the first one is worth the $4 if only because it contains the origins of everything you love (Shredder, the ooze, mousers, April and Casey, even Krang). It's interesting how quickly all the classic elements are introduced and fleshed out and how they changed for the screen.

I vaguely remember the second volume becoming a sci-fi adventure in space and don't know where it goes from there. Can't say how good it is. Maybe read the first one and decide it you need more?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I made my way through only about a third of it before giving up, but I found that I can't stand Howard Chaykin, especially his art, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Also note that the $10 volume only contains 12 issues. The whole series went on for 50.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 23, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Another thing of note is that #8 is not included in IDW's re-releases as it was a crossover with Cerebus, and they certainly do not want to have to deal with Dave Sim.

Just feel like pointing out that IDW is basically the only company Dave Sim does work with. He did a ton of variant covers for them of late (Doctor Who and Martians Attack), they are putting out the physical copy of his Audio/Visual Kickstarter from a couple years ago, and they are working on putting out a book of there Cerebus covers.

Also, I'm pretty sure that he has given up all rights for work that he has done for others (the stuff in Spawn, TMNT, etc). And he allows anybody who wants to do their own stuff with Cerebus as a character.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

How many issues are in those volumes which you've linked there? That's $3.99/€3.59, but there's a bundle for $13/€12, which I presume has all #1-11 (minus #8) plus the specials.

It's the first three issues plus the Raphael one shot.

The bundle is probably a better deal if you them all.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rirse posted:

Looks like all of Age of Apocalypse (and the mini series a decade later) are on sale for a dollar each. Kinda want to read it again, but what are worth getting from the side stories. Looking it up, Alpha and Omega is the start and finish to the storyline, so those I probably will grab. Also how was that miniseries a few years ago?

I would say that the all the original series are necessary as they all have their own things that contribute to how the story plays out in the end. I would just follow this list:
http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/age-of-apocalypse-reading-order/

I remember liking the Blink miniseries, but it should be read after the main storyline. None of the other stuff has left any impression on me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

CBR files are just a zip of jpegs. You can just rename CBR to RAR and CBZ to ZIP, unzip the archive, and see the resolution of the images.

PDFs are generally larger files. I never noticed a difference, but haven't done a side by side comparison, especially on a retina display.

I go with CBRs every time, but PDFs run like poo poo on every Android device I've tried. Maybe the iPad is better handling them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

kujeger posted:

The PDFs (at least the ones from the Image sale (or any you buy directly from Image)) are varying. Some of them are huge and contain images at 6000x6000 resolutions with all speech bubbles and text on separate layers -- which are REALLY awesome. Some are just the same as the cbz. Some are even worse (but also bigger in filesize). Unfortunately there's not really any way of knowing what you get until you buy it (or ask someone that already did).

That explains why the Sex Criminals PDFs are 25-70 MB and the Pretty Deadly PDFs are 180-250 MB each...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Double post!

Here is a page from Pretty Deadly #1, PDF, opened in SumatraPDF on my Win8 machine hooked up to a 1080p monitor, and zoomed in 400%.

(230 MB file size)

Same page, CBR file, opened in CDisplayEx, zoomed in 400%.

(59 MB file size, the JPG of the whole page is 1523x2343)

For comparison, Sex Criminals #1, PDF, same thing.

(69 MB file size)

And the CBR.

(27 MB file size, the JPG of the whole page is 1523x2343)

All the files are perfectly readable with no artifacts that I see. Seems interesting that the CBR files seem zoomed in slightly more at 400%, but that might just be how the programs calculate zooms.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 2, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

kujeger posted:

I read on a 2560x1440 display, so the difference there is often noticeable, particularly the text can get blurry.

Are you talking about PDF vs CBR or the big PDF files vs the small PDF? Just curious.

sleepingbuddha posted:

As for my second question, is Comic Flow the best iPad app for .cbr? I've been using it and have no complaints. Thanks in advance.

I don't use iOS, but check the first page of this thread. I asked and was told Comic Flow and another app as the ones to go with. I put Comic Flow in the OP. Use whatever works.

Edit: the other recommended app was Comic Zeal.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 2, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dan Slott :(

I haven't been getting the promo emails. Did I miss anything good?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

There's over 75 comics up and only 5 of them worth buying. The Spider-Man/Johnny Storm miniseries is good, Slott's Spider-Man is not, and I've never read The Initiative but it features Spider-Man during Civil War so it's probably not good either?

https://www.comixology.com/Dan-Slott-Sale/comics-collection/1436

Oh poo poo, that's ironic. I meant did I miss anything good from the Summer Reading issues?

I stopped buying Spider-Man when Slott became the sole writer and reading my friend's copies since then, it was a good decision. And also why I never got the Silver Surfer book despite being a Marvel Cosmic fan. Glad I can check out the first issue for free...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Is Blue Exorcist any good? The first volume's on sale for two bux.

My ex likes the anime?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dynamite has a massive Humble Bundle up. Also on that page they are giving away one preview book per day for free in PDF format (today's is Red Sonja #1).
https://www.humblebundle.com/books?dynamite_bundle

Does Dynamite sell their books in PDF format on their website?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Street Angel in on there, too!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It's a typical post apocalyptic setting with a wanderer getting caught up in saving a small town from slavers. I like it, but I read my friend's copies years ago, so don't remember specifics. And I only read two trades, so don't know how it goes after that.

I see Cursed Pirate Girl is on sale for $4. Buy that poo poo! It's a pirate based, Alice in Wonderland like story with amazing, hyper detailed artwork. I just hope the digital version is high enough resolution to see all the line work.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

A lot of Walking Dead plus a few other things over at Humble Bundle.
https://www.humblebundle.com/thewalkingdead

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

A lot of Viz titles are on sale (One Punch Man...)
https://www.comixology.com/Viz-Summer-Sale/page/2760

How is All You Need is Kill? I liked Edge of Tomorrow alright, heard the book is better...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tons of Image comics on sale, too. Hopefully they are going to match this on their store so I have an excuse to get more Rat Queens and Sex Crims.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=3003

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bleeding Cool is reporting on a rumor of comiXology offering a DRM-free option to publishers. gently caress yes, if true.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/22/comixology-to-change-everything-by-offering-drm-free-options-to-comics-publishers/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh god these sales are going to kill me.

I wonder why the Sex Criminal trade is more expensive than buying them individually. I'm probably still grabbing it as I enjoy having the volume over the singles.

Does the collection have all the letters pages? If not, definitely buy the individual issues!

Also, the sale has moved to Image's site, Google Play, and iBooks.
https://imagecomics.com/content/view/image-comics-50-off-sale

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

$0.45 graphic novels for the 45th Comic Con. New one every day. Will try to remember to check back to see if anything good pops up.
http://comixology.tumblr.com/cci45

Also, 100 comics for $10. The only thing I recognize is Becky Cloonan's Wolves.

https://www.comixology.com/Comixology-Submit-SDCC-2014-Bundle/bundle/763/

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 24, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Humble Transformer Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/books?transformers_bundle

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, poo poo. I keep buying Image comics directly from them for the DRM-free files and now the comiXology versions are DRM-free in addition to the normal slick comiXology interface and cloud storage. That shows me!

Seriously, though, that's cool. Glad they are doing it.

Here are six free Marvel "Infinite" comics:
https://comicstore.marvel.com/Free-Infinite-comics/page/2743

(not to be confused with the "Infinity" event)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Personally, I can't usually see a visual difference between the two. PDFs are generally larger in size, but the ones I downloaded from comiXology are roughly equal. PDFs are a little more universal, but CBZs are literally just ZIP files of JPG images. I find CBZs to be easier on my tablet, but I have an Android tablet and Android devices struggle with PDFs (in my limited experience).

I tend to use with CBZ files because they are easier on my tablet and CDisplayEX creates preview images in Windows File Explorer (PDFs do not show previews on Windows) for quicker browsing, but I save both just in case.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

$0.45 comic of the day is Love and Rockets New Stories #1, which is, well, a terrible place for a new reader to begin.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, I can't recommend it unless you want to see Thanos as an emo teenager.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Is it cool to read Thanos: The Final Threat #1 -> Thanos Quest #1-2 -> Infinity Gauntlet #1-6, or would I want those Silver Surfer issues too?

I just read Infinity Gauntlet for years before getting the SS and Thanos Quest stuff. It stands on its own as long as you have basic knowledge of what the Infinity Gems are.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Any smaller and they can become difficult to read, even with a high resolution screen, though 8.9" is probably right at the smallest comfortable size.

I don't know, I think the 9" screen on my Nook HD+ is just fine for reading on. Though, yes, get a tablet with Android or iOS on it unless you are into the whole Amazon ecosystem. It sucks not being able to sideload apps on my locked down on. No Amazon Apps of the Day or Humble Bundle games that I have bought for my phone...

Anyway, TMNT question. I really want to read City Fall and will probably grab the volumes leading up to it. Are any of the micro-series worth the money?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I liked the setting, but found the main character completely void of personality. Then again, I don't really care for Brian Wood.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Boom Studios Humble Bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Does Google Books work okay with comics now? I've tried it before, but was hitting file size limits and errors I couldn't fix by reuploading.