Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I use a Nexus 5 phone and I think the Marvel Unlimited app is pretty rad actually. Navigating between series' is annoying, as is having to use the Back button or closing/reopening the app to get to the home screen, but the actual reading part works well. I can read pages full screen if I want but I normally turn my phone to be horizontal and scroll down the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hadji murad posted:

What are the Kirby/Lee ones like that take place before the Steranko volume?

I'm reading them through MU right now. I would say they are... essential? They're the first stories of SHIELD as far as I know but also the first stories where Nick Fury becomes the head, they introduce Jasper Sitwell (who admittedly also shows up in Iron Man comics of the time), you see the first appearance of Them (aka AIM), Hydra shows up, and they're just generally bonkers fun. These old school SHIELD stories are basically every 60s spy movie/TV show smashed together with a dash of GI Joe and of course everything is designed by Kirby.

Though on that last point saying these stories are Lee and Kirby is a tad misleading since he does the layouts towards the latter half and Heck is the one penciling over them. The art is still obviously 75% Kirby but still.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MarcusSA posted:

Marvel unlimited has another 5$ a month deal going.

I like that the pitch is aimed squarely at the Netflix crowd:

"Read 100’s of issues featuring Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher and Jessica Jones"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is there a good method online to read the old Denny O'Neil era of Batman comics that is available to Canadians?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As in buying trades through Comixology? Their unlimited service isn't available outside the US. I know there's no DC unlimited equivalent so I was hoping for the next best thing to read a ton of the old Batman stuff that doesn't require filling my apartment with trades.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, not paying full-price, you mean?
There's a Batman or Buy One Get One sale at least a couple of times a year where you could find all the singles.
There isn't a collection for him, but there's probably a bunch of his issues in the Neal Adams ones.

Yeah, Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil, same thing basically in terms of the era I mean. Guess I'll keep an eye out, thank you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If anyone's interested in Deathlok, MU just added his short run of issues in Astonishing Tales.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rirse posted:

Shame, as I actually want to read the Tomb of Dracula book if it just as crazy as the anime made about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbGOIaf-QM

Those are pretty dainty bites. Expected more from a guy with a rep like Dracula.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I did, thanks! Never read them before but I've always heard great things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Somewhat strange timing since Hammerhead isn't finished yet but it does mean I can get all of Eidolon for real cheap!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr Hootington posted:

Unfortunately with this promotional code, you have to write and draw the comics yourself.

Well I know who I'm writing mine about.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Schneider Heim posted:

The Moench and Huston Moon Knight runs are good, aren't they?

The "Moench" ones aren't exclusively Moench but they are good, yep. Currently going through them now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

I have issues 1-153 and the stern run what are some of the other best of spidy?

Everyone's opinions will vary but you might try:

-Kraven's Last Hunt
-Return of The Sinister Six
-Spider-Man: Tombstone
-The Complete Alien Costume Saga
-The original Secret Wars
-Brand New Day
-pre-Sins Past run by JMS on Amazing Spider-Man
-A lot of Spectacular Spider-Man is good. The aforementioned Tombstone trade paperback (which I didn't even know was a thing before someone posted it) draws from Spectaculer. The stuff by J.M. DeMatteis and Sal Buscema is a highlight, especially the Harry Osborn story.
-Marvel Team-Up is not a Spider-Man title per se but in practice it was Spider-Man + a different hero each month. Ran for over a 100 issues so it's cool to see Spider-Man with a huge cross-section of the Marvel cast.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

God Loves, Man Kills is a pretty legendary X-Men graphic novel and is the basis for a lot of the second X-Men movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is the Snyder/JRjr All-Star Batman good?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Any recommendations for Bronze Age Superman stuff I could buy with this sale? I've heard the current Rebirth stuff is really good and maybe I'll end up getting some of that too but I'd rather get some of that 70's and 80's goodness if I can.

Edit: Hm, there are barely any trades for stuff pre-Byrne. That's a shame. Rebirth Action Comics and Manapul's Trinity it is, then.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 14, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Get 'Superman' instead. Can't stress that enough.

I was trying to get a sense from reviews of which one to choose and because they were evenly split (at least based on what I saw) I figured I'd go for a creative team that gave me more confidence. Even though from Spider-Man experience it seemed like 'Superman' was the equivalent of 'Amazing'.

But if you insist, then ok! I put more stock into BSS opinions. Especially if they have Superman avatars.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ask in the DC thread. I think you'll get an almost unanimous swing in favour of Tomasi's comic.
Superman is almost all about his relationship with his son, the new Superboy*. It's really charming and the art is great. Tomasi and Gleason previously did the great N52 'Batman and Robin', which was all about that father-son relationship, so they're pretty good at that sort of thing.
Action Comics is much more meat and potatoes with really spotty art.

There's also a Superboy and Damian team-up comic called Super-Sons which compliments Superman quite well. I'd take that over Trinity, if you can only follow a couple of things.

*The set-up is a bit crazy to wrap your head around, if you haven't been following.
He's actually Superman surviving the previous continuity shift with his Lois and new son, living in hiding during the New 52 till their Superman died.
There's a miniseries called Lois and Clark which deals with that. It was pretty good. Clark has a sweet beard during it.

I kinda was hoping for some more meat and potatoes but not at the expense of the art. And if the gooncensus is that Superman is the better written title anyway, then that's an easy decision for me.

As for Trinity, it's mostly because I really like Manapul from his Flash. But also because he's a hometown guy and from following him on Instagram I've been seeing fantastic bits and pieces of Trinity for a year now.

Thanks for bringing me to up to speed on the set-up as well. The Comixology solicits are actually pretty good for that, too. Does that mean the New 52 Superman with the Jim Lee armour look is now dead and the current Superman has continuity with the pre-new 52 guy?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I did hear about that already. Not following comics when they come out, either through trades of DC or through Marvel Unlimited, means I'm resigned to seeing spoilers for most big stories.

Kind of a shame that there's always this pressure to make continuity "clean" or to have past stories "matter".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

pastis posted:

Dear god help us, Marvel Kindle/Comixology books are discounted back to those insane June prices on Amazon again. I stocked up on recent X-Men collections for $3 a piece.

I already have MU but I would be all over a DC version of this. drat.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jojo's Sale with the first three series.

https://www.comixology.com/JoJos-Bizarre-Adventures-Sale/page/16413

DC volume 1 collections

https://www.comixology.com/DC-Select-Vol-1s-Sale/page/16328
Some interesting stuff with deep discounts like Silver age collections and Batman Elseworlds.

edit: Prez was all in one volume (cause it was cancelled.) Get that!!

There is (was?) a Justice League Canada?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Comixology joins the Republicans in promoting sex criminals.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was all excited about the Neal Adams Batman collections but then looked at the preview images and saw they were all recoloured. Not paying for that crap.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hm, maybe they'll have the Marvel Team-Up trade(s) that aren't covered in Marvel Unlimited. Right now MU only has 36 issues out of a 150 issue run.

Edit: Nice, both of the first two MTU Masterworks for two bucks.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 12, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Scarlet Spider Vol 1 and 2

Just a heads up that volume 2 skips issues #10 and #11. Those issues are in the Minimum Carnage trade.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

These insane sales do great work in assauging any guilt I may feel over having an MU subscription and basically never buying any actual comics. If they're going to be giving away full, new trades for $0.50...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux posted:

Knowing DC though it will probably be more like Comixology Unlimited than Marvel Unlimited

In other words, not available in Canada.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The last time I used Nightcrawler it was busted, or at least not updated enough to be useful.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SnatchRabbit posted:

So I popped into marvel unlimited and saw they have simonsons Thor run, but it looks like they have the recolored versions from 2011 or so and man alive it just looks awful compared to the original coloring. Is there a way to read the original version digitally?

Teenage Fansub posted:

The 'Visionaries' collections on Comixology aren't recoloured (judging by preview pages.)

Visionaries V1: https://www.comixology.com/Thor-Visionaries-Walter-Simonson-Vol-1/digital-comic/24378
Newer V1 with shiny new colours: https://www.comixology.com/Thor-by-Walter-Simonson-Vol-1/digital-comic/553792

If it helps save money, I think the recoloured issues on MU only cover up till the end of the Surtur Saga, issue 353. I just got to issue 354 and it's back to the old colouring. Hopefully it lasts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This isn't what you were asking for but if you don't need to read comic pages in full then any smartphone will do. I've been reading issues through Marvel Unlimited and Comixology for years on my phone's and just turn the phone horizontally and scroll down each page. Obviously not the best experience for double-page spreads, though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, I'm on a Pixel 3 and I can view and read full pages but I typically turn it sideways to scroll down pages not for the lettering but for the art.

Like you said, resolution does matter because my phone screens have gotten bigger and smaller over the years but they've consistently been easier to read comics on because the quality keeps improving.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there a way to filter issue by release date in Marvel Unlimited? I have to let my sub lapse for a little while and would like to pick up where I left off.

You can filter by date if you're in a series list or filter by dates in the overall Browse feature. Like if you're doing one of those pan-Marvel chronological readthroughs you can go back to whatever month you were on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fantagraphics has a sale going until April 23rd.

Comixology link

Tweet:
https://twitter.com/fantagraphics/status/1241488534575480833

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hadji murad posted:

Quite a few can be borrowed on Unlimited but giving Fantagraphics money is always good.

Or for people like me it's good because Comixology Unlimited isn't available in my country.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fly Ricky posted:

I’ve heard of people comparing both the Marvel and DC comic services and always wondered why they weren’t just using ComiXology.

Was there some benefit to joining Marvel/DC Unlimited over just ComiXology?

ComiXology Unlimited? It isn't available everywhere, for one.

Edit: gently caress, beaten

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 9, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Synthbuttrange posted:

You cant get any eurocomics via the uk site. :(

Goddamn Brexit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Black Panther Epic Collection is a must-read for the Don McGregor stories. Some of it's on MU but I'm not sure about all of them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't use it on a tablet but something definitely happened to the MU app. While I can get the bar to disappear it annoyingly reappears every page. And it's much more finicky about doing fit-to-width to the point I'm not even sure it can do it anymore.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That sucks. It's the most recent app update(s) because I reverted to a version from January and it works better and how I was used to it working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

War of the Realms isn't listed but for other events, under Browse you can view a bunch of different events and they'll let you read them in publication order. Of course this means they have every single tie-in in the reading order which is annoying for its own reasons. Useful for some of the older X-Men events because those were often set-up so that you did have to read every issue.

Yeah, it'd be nice if every crossover had go-to-next-issue functionality built in but there are lots of events that at least have a reading list that you can filter by what you've read and not read. I'm currently going through Acts of Vengeance in that way. Not a hassle to press the back button and be back at the list if I'm reading multiple issues in a session but to go back to the app later is somewhat annoying for having to find the event in the list again (although in this particular case it's at the very top of the list alphabetically).