Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I expected it all the way up to the end to be a Scarecrow-gas nightmare. Looking back now at the story as a whole I have really mixed feelings about it. I'm actually relieved to read that Snyder/Capullo interview because frankly at the end I was just like Bruce saying "gently caress it I guess he is just immortal" and I was pissed but I guess I just misread that (I'm kind of peeved that Snyder made that comment about not shutting the door entirely because you just know some much worse writer is gonna come up years from now and actually make Joker immortal). It was a fun ride I suppose and I don't regret reading it but at the end I guess I finally do fall on the side of all the people who complain about Joker being too god-like in this story (and to a lesser extent Death of the Family) even though I had previously defended it. I mean he basically teleports from downtown Gotham all the way to the cave at the end immediately after finding out Grayson and Bruce had faked him out.

Really though I'm just in mourning for Alfred's hand. RIP Alfred's hand, the true unnecessary casualty of this war.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Re-reading through the issue I'm actually fine with the way Joker acted through the arc if only for the fact that when it came to it in the end, he was just a regular guy that got acid thrown on him. He wasn't an immortal devil, he was just another guy and rather than actually just laughing to his death was actually afraid. Like Batman he went to ridiculous levels but just like Batman they were both just determined guys at the end.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

Re-reading through the issue I'm actually fine with the way Joker acted through the arc if only for the fact that when it came to it in the end, he was just a regular guy that got acid thrown on him. He wasn't an immortal devil, he was just another guy and rather than actually just laughing to his death was actually afraid. Like Batman he went to ridiculous levels but just like Batman they were both just determined guys at the end.

Not my Joker. :colbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Which, incidentally, is exactly how Death of the Family ended: When Bruce claims he knows Joker's real name and who he was before he went into the acid, Joker's defenses go down and he gets scared and starts wailing and stuff.

This was just such an unnecessary retread and it happened so soon after DotF. Snyder is really obsessed with creating grand, epic stories but when every single Goddamn arc is a grand epic story it just becomes grating. I find myself hoping both of them stay dead for a while. Of course that won't happen and I'd almost put money on Joker showing up again before Bruce does, to terrorize Robo-Bat-Gordon.

People need to get off of Frank Miller's nuts already. Give it a rest. DKR was thirty years ago. We need to stop acting like it's some infallible bible for Batman stories. I love Snyder and Capullo's fanboy energy that comes across in that interview, I can't get mad at them for being passionate about comics they love, but it seems like DKR is looming so large over their vision for the character that their own contributions to the character are pretty insubstantial.

e: Not to mention how dumb it is to kill off Bruce like, a month after he finally got his son back.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 30, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Travis343 posted:

This was just such an unnecessary retread and it happened so soon after DotF.

Three years is considered to be soon?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Three years is considered to be soon?
Death of the Family ended early 2013, Endgame started late 2014.

Also, chronologically, these two arcs take place one after another, which is a lot of Horror!Joker in a pretty short period of time.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 30, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
My hope is (FCBD spoilers!) with Gordon now being the next Batman, we'll see less epic "nothing will be the same" stories and more shorter beats now that our protagonist is a different person entirely. Might be better to hope for that in Detective Comics though, which is essentially becoming Gotham Central lite in June.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

Death of the Family ended early 2013, Endgame started late 2014.

Also, chronologically, these two arcs take place one after another, which is a lot of Horror!Joker in a pretty short period of time.

There is also External so its not like its one after another.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

There is also External so its not like its one after another.
How much time actually passes between Batman #17 and #35 (Zero Year taking up 99% of the issues between)? It can't be that long.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Travis343 posted:

e: Not to mention how dumb it is to kill off Bruce like, a month after he finally got his son back.

Guess that explains the Robin solo series, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

redbackground posted:

How much time actually passes between Batman #17 and #35 (Zero Year taking up 99% of the issues between)? It can't be that long.

A year.

The same year where Eternal's shitstorm happens so yeah, even within universe is way too much poo poo happening back to back.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

Some time has passed based off of Damien.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I actually enjoyed this issue. Yes Snyder is leaning a bit too hard on the "grand epic" style but if I was to get a final confrontation between Batman and the Joker. This is how I would want it to be. I enjoyed that after all his grand poising Joker pretty much went out begging for his life and Batman pretending to give the Joker what he wanted just to screw with him.
One thing that kind of blew me away is that usually big issues like this get spoiled by the media at least a week before the comic is released (usually to hype it up for sales) but there was hardly any spoilers released before this issue besides Gordon becoming Batman but that could be attributed to Bruce retiring/recovering/etc

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
There wasn't a lot to spoil though, Snyder went to record admitting that the change was temporary and that Bruce would be back in the cowl in time for BvS.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DC wouldn't even let Dick Grayson stay Batman, there's no way anybody actually believed they were going to replace him with a James Gordon-piloted rabbit for any kind of serious time frame.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Travis343 posted:

DC wouldn't even let Dick Grayson stay Batman, there's no way anybody actually believed they were going to replace him with a James Gordon-piloted rabbit for any kind of serious time frame.

That's actually the part that gets me, minus the cool looking Appleseed mech, it would have been a pretty decent thing to have Dick come back into being Batman. Since IMO that was where Snyder was writing his best Batman, where you could pull off things like this Batman didn't know super secret histories of Gotham, or super secret hidden groups, or ancient secret pools of secret healing juice buried underneath Gotham. But I digress that's been my main complaint from the start of this run, that his Bruce and Dick were pretty much interchangeable. Gordon as Batman will hopefully have a Gotham Central meets Robocop kinda vibe minus the shooting off of rapist's dicks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

It's getting Damian to finally have a solo Robin series. (Not that he couldn't have gone off alone anyway, but) I'm pumped about that!

e: Well, almost made it to FCBD without finding out who's in the bunny suit. Cheers, bud.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 30, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I feel like most of the time since Damian was introduced, either one or the other was dead or thought to be dead.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 30, 2015

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Convergence: Batgirl was hot garbage. Terrible art and just bad characterization all around.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hiddenriverninja posted:

Convergence: Batgirl was hot garbage. Terrible art and just bad characterization all around.

Agreed. I'd kind of preferred if the book was a) written by someone else (Kwitney doesn't seem to have the same engagement with the characters she's writing that some of the other Convergence writers do-it feels like she did the bare minimum of research) and b) focusing on Cassandra Cain - I mean Stephanie came back in Eternal, let Cass have the spotlight!

You've got perfect dramatic potential with Cassandra's no-killing rule being forced to confront Telos' death match rules:
a)She can't just throw the fight, since that would endanger Gotham.
b)She also can't kill her opponent because aside from her not being big on killing, it'd also mean endangering the innocent people in the other city.

But instead we have Steph angsting over not being good enough-which I honestly thought we'd gotten over by the point.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Yvonmukluk posted:

Agreed. I'd kind of preferred if the book was a) written by someone else (Kwitney doesn't seem to have the same engagement with the characters she's writing that some of the other Convergence writers do-it feels like she did the bare minimum of research) and b) focusing on Cassandra Cain - I mean Stephanie came back in Eternal, let Cass have the spotlight!

You've got perfect dramatic potential with Cassandra's no-killing rule being forced to confront Telos' death match rules:
a)She can't just throw the fight, since that would endanger Gotham.
b)She also can't kill her opponent because aside from her not being big on killing, it'd also mean endangering the innocent people in the other city.

But instead we have Steph angsting over not being good enough-which I honestly thought we'd gotten over by the point.

At this point they should put the nail in the coffin in whatever Cass/Steph could have been.

So hard to be a Cass fan these daysyears :sigh:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't make it a Cass book & get Kelley Puckett back, he's not a regular DC guy and he co-created Cass. Do they secretly hate Asians?

Well apparently, Cass is meant to be coming back. But since it's apparently under Snyder's pen, I'm uncertain. He wrote her well in Gates of Gotham but his quality is kind of weaving oddly overall.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
why would it be a cass book when stephanie was batgirl immediately pre-new 52, which is what this Convergence round is

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Yvonmukluk posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't make it a Cass book & get Kelley Puckett back, he's not a regular DC guy and he co-created Cass. Do they secretly hate Asians?

Well apparently, Cass is meant to be coming back. But since it's apparently under Snyder's pen, I'm uncertain. He wrote her well in Gates of Gotham but his quality is kind of weaving oddly overall.

I'm trying to think, what would a New 52 Cassandra Cain be like? I've got to imagine she's going to differ greatly from the original. We haven't seen David Cain yet, so I don't think that's going to be part of her story.

Maybe the new Batman will have his own "Bat-family" and Cass will be his new Batgirl?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Revol posted:

I'm trying to think, what would a New 52 Cassandra Cain be like? I've got to imagine she's going to differ greatly from the original. We haven't seen David Cain yet, so I don't think that's going to be part of her story.

Maybe the new Batman will have his own "Bat-family" and Cass will be his new Batgirl?

Perhaps we could have a Batgirl family instead?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is Puckett even around anymore? Feels like he disappeared years ago. Though Scott Peterson would have been good too, since he created her.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Is Puckett even around anymore? Feels like he disappeared years ago. Though Scott Peterson would have been good too, since he created her.

He stopped working for DC in 2014, and now works as an App developer. Which is a drat shame, because he was a wonderful writer.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kelleypuckett

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

why would it be a cass book when stephanie was batgirl immediately pre-new 52, which is what this Convergence round is

I meant making it a Blackbat book, not making Cass Batgirl.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I meant making it a Blackbat book, not making Cass Batgirl.

but there was never a black bat book for this to play off

the whole idea of the convergence miniseries is they're books from that era

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

If there can be four active former Robins, there drat well can be three active former Batgirls.

I'm tired of the constant Barbarawank DC has going on.

:negative:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There are three new young female bat-pals. Four if Carrie Kelly ever comes back.
I'm okay with none of them being called Robin or Batgirl.

e: Though, I'd've preferred Harper take on the Nightwing name or something, cause Bluebird is a terrible one.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bluejay would have been cool. Bluebird is fine though. Dick was still Nightwing when Harper was introduced, wasn't he? I don't think the characters have ever really even met, it wouldn't make much sense for her to take his name.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blue Jay is already a DC character, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

hiddenriverninja posted:

If there can be four active former Robins, there drat well can be three active former Batgirls.

She is the far and away the most well known Batgirl it's not super surprising DC wants to push her

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bluebird is a better name than Red Robin, at the very least.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Blockhouse posted:

She is the far and away the most well known Batgirl it's not super surprising DC wants to push her

#notmybatgirl

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

And why does it have to be mutually exclusive?

Plus Cassandra was the first one to get her own book (which sold fairly well and lasted 73 issues). Only to get turfed out in favour of Steph (not a knock against her, she was a great Batgirl-editorial apparently wanted Misfit to be the new Btgirl until Simone wrote a letter explaining why that was a terrible idea. So they didn't really care who replaced her, just as long as she went away-I'm not saying that they're racists, but considering they seemed determined to make Batgirl white...)

Also editorial apparently just told Beechen to make her a villain without providing any rationale why.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 5, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

And why does it have to be mutually exclusive?

Plus Cassandra was the first one to get her own book (which sold fairly well and lasted 73 issues).

Also editorial apparently just told Beechen to make her a villain without providing any rationale why.
It is kind of crazy just how long Cass had her own solo title. Six years is a lifetime these days.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

redbackground posted:

It is kind of crazy just how long Cass had her own solo title. Six years is a lifetime these days.

I'm trying to think of superheroines in the big two who've had longer consecutive runs. There's Spider-Girl, Supergirl, and Wonder Woman (off the top of my head).

But nope, book got cancelled despite fairly decent sales (they didn't even let it reach the 75-issue milestone), and they made her a villain for...reasons. And then decided to launch a new book with a new Batgirl. Doesn't really matter who, so long as she's white not Cassandra Cain.

And then turn around and call her character 'toxic'. Whose fault was that, I wonder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

hiddenriverninja posted:

There's only one character going by "Robin." The closest you get elsewise is Red Robin.

I think Green Lanterns are the only dudes who can have the same title without being from a different universe. Like how they got rid of Wally West as The Flash and moved Jay over to Earth 2 with the rest of the society so Barry could be the only Flash in the main universe. Steph is probably back to being Spoiler and Cass...doesn't exist yet so Barbara can be the only Batgirl. DC has gone to a lot of effort to dress up the original (well...actually neither Barry nor Barbara are their original title holders, huh, I guess "main" versions of the characters?) as the only active ones in the main universe.

It's probably why Wally isn't even Kid Flash yet despite it being over a year since he showed up. They've already got another Kid Flash they have to get rid of first.

• Locked thread