Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

There's an interview on ComicsAlliance from Aaron talking about his Wolverine and the X-Men run.

quote:

CA: Something that you do a lot in your work — and I’m a big fan of Ghost Rider as well — is that you have these huge, over-the-top action set pieces that are going on. You mentioned the Manifest Destiny miniseries that had all the kung fu stuff, but there was also that arc of Wolverine and the X-Men where they fought an evil circus led by Frankenstein, which I love.

JA: You and I were the only people who liked that.

CA: I’m getting to a point, but now I have to ask: Were there people who didn’t like Frankenstein’s Circus of Evil Mutants?!

JA: Oh, bless you, Chris. Yes, there were. To me, it was one of my favorite parts of that book, but we had a lot of people who thought that was a step too far.

He reads BSS :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion
I feel pretty comfortable saying that this week's X-Men Legacy #300 is already one of my favorite standalone X-Men stories.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That seemed Sentry inspired in the best possible way.

I'm glad they mentioned the Rogue as Legacy thing because that was one of the best uses of her character ever.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

J-Man X posted:

I feel pretty comfortable saying that this week's X-Men Legacy #300 is already one of my favorite standalone X-Men stories.

Yeah I came in here to say that. It's hands down one of the best single issue X-Men stories, or hell X-Men stories in general, ever.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Am I the only one who thought X-Force #2 was actually a marked improvement over the first? Like, now that it's got a mission statement and a place in the larger picture, and it's bringing out neat ideas and I really like it. Am I crazy?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ElNarez posted:

Am I the only one who thought X-Force #2 was actually a marked improvement over the first? Like, now that it's got a mission statement and a place in the larger picture, and it's bringing out neat ideas and I really like it. Am I crazy?

Yeah, I thought it was a big step up from the first issue. It feels like Spurrier is finding his footing on this book and delivering on the stuff I was hoping he would bring to X-Force. The guy still can't write Fantomex very well, though.

Also, seconding the love for Legacy #300. Not sure who wrote what for that issue, but all of it was stellar.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ElNarez posted:

Am I crazy?
Well if you are, I'm nuts too, because I really enjoyed X-Force #2 and found it leagues ahead of the previous issue. Also I'm rapidly coming to delight in how Cable is drawn.

I also thought PAD had a really good handle on this week's X-Factor.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Yo Jason I'ma let you finish but what was Kraoka's Danger Room exam like~

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

HorseRenoir posted:

The guy still can't write Fantomex very well, though.

My personal theory is that he's speaking that way specifically to piss off Psylocke. It's probably not the case, but I'm sticking to it.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

Also, seconding the love for Legacy #300. Not sure who wrote what for that issue, but all of it was stellar.

I'd assume the JGS bits were Spurrier, Carey did the Age of X section, and Gage did the Mimic/Weapon Omega part.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

My personal theory is that he's speaking that way specifically to piss off Psylocke. It's probably not the case, but I'm sticking to it.

No, that's my theory too. After seeing where he ended up in the re-launch of Wolverine and the X-Men, I have a distinct impression he's deliberately trying too hard to keep up appearances and keep Betty at arms length. Sort of a "She wants to be better, and I am poison; I must drive her away" kind of thing.

It seems like the sort of thing Si would come up with, considering the nuance and foreshadowing evident in his Legacy run, and more plausible than him just being bad at Fantomex.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is there some sort of simple solution to what Cable did that's obvious to someone who's read more X-men stuff than me? I got a real Akumetsu vibe off that. My theory being Cable is using clones or some other form of duplicates. The headband doesn't just complete the Big Boss look, it connects him to the clones, either all the time or just a time of death infodump.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For me, Magneto was pretty good until the last few pages. "Haha, I'm not actually racist, I've just been colonized by nanobots." :cripes:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Cabbit posted:

No, that's my theory too. After seeing where he ended up in the re-launch of Wolverine and the X-Men, I have a distinct impression he's deliberately trying too hard to keep up appearances and keep Betty at arms length. Sort of a "She wants to be better, and I am poison; I must drive her away" kind of thing.

My take on it is that since he spent most of the Humpries UXF run as three different people in all manners of awkward situations, his new attitude is him going back to the basics of who he thinks he is, and that's a french thief/assassin persuaded he's always the coolest guy in the room no matter the situation, but cranked to eleven.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

For me, Magneto was pretty good until the last few pages. "Haha, I'm not actually racist, I've just been colonized by nanobots." :cripes:

To be fair, that's an established thing in the X-Men series, and it showed a way that hatred towards mutants hurts humans too.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Unless they've decided to change things, the Fantomex we're seeing now is only two of those three split aspects of himself recombined, another reason why he'd be coming across differently.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Um, X-Men Legacy #300 was really good. Guess I should read the Mike Carey run, huh?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Um, X-Men Legacy #300 was really good. Guess I should read the Mike Carey run, huh?

Carey wrote the Xavier and Rogue parts and yes, you really should. The Xavier stuff was really good. The Rogue stuff...well, it was less a focus on Rogue the character and more about Rogue leading her own X-Men team. It has its high points but his Xavier run was great.

He also wrote Adjectiveless X-Men before and during Messiah Complex, which makes some pretty good use of Cable and Mystique.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wish they had kept that team around longer, but I get that a completely dysfunctional team isn't going to last long at all.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Carey's run is like five years long (since it's Adjectiveless until the title becomes Legacy post-Messiah Complex) and it's all really good for the most part. His run starts on 188 and goes to 260.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Yeah I had no idea I would get a Legacy #300 this week and was blown away. It was really great.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Also coming to echo the love for Legacy #300. I'd genuinely love to see more of Forgetmenot, I love the very idea he's always been there from the start, and even you as the reader just forget about his involvement. He's such a novel, fun idea.

Aside: God. drat. you Mike Carey, stop writing all the books I like! Now I want more Lucifer to exist, even though I know it shouldn't. :smithicide:

Seemlar posted:

Unless they've decided to change things, the Fantomex we're seeing now is only two of those three split aspects of himself recombined, another reason why he'd be coming across differently.

If only that was a really acceptable answer for 'Not getting the loving character right'.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I'm kind of surprised people liked Legacy as much as they did. For every creator that was involved in it I thought it was very heavy handed and a bit trying to hard to elicit a reaction.

Also All New X-Men #25 is going to have to go down as having the most criminally under-using of so much talent. I don't know how you waste Jill Thompson on a Bendis X book.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Waterhaul posted:

Also All New X-Men #25 is going to have to go down as having the most criminally under-using of so much talent. I don't know how you waste Jill Thompson on a Bendis X book.

It's one of Marvel's top selling books, 1 of 2 books consistently at the top of the sales charts, if you want exposure it's Bendis or it's Slott.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I just bought most of Legacy at a dollar an issue thanks to a sale at my LCS, but I have holes in the run, and today while looking for tickets to The Room at a shop across town I was fortunate enough to get issues 3, 6, and 7. I'm confident I can find the most recent three issues at one of the other stores, but on the off chance anyone here stopped buying it partway through and wants to sell 10, 11, and 12, I'd love to nail down those issues. Also need 17 but that'll be easier to find, I hope.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

DynamicSloth posted:

It's one of Marvel's top selling books, 1 of 2 books consistently at the top of the sales charts, if you want exposure it's Bendis or it's Slott.

None of those people need exposure though. They should be given their own books!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waterhaul posted:

None of those people need exposure though. They should be given their own books!

Jill Thompson just had a book released this week!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yet another Bendis UXM issue where he just dicks around and stretches out the SHIELD vs X mystery.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yet another Bendis UXM issue where he just dicks around and stretches out the SHIELD vs X mystery.

Bendis' X-Men is like post-time skip Flowers of Evil where you keep thinking it's working towards some big bomb that shakes everything up, it keeps looking like it's setting that bomb up, but the bomb is a dud and nothing happens and it's just really boring.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was cool seeing Magik actually do magic. Also, that's really dark whats happened to Dazzler.

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
Seriously. I'm also really surprised they didn't censor Mystique's dialogue in some parts.

Gonna echo that Bendis is seriously slacking in the delivery of any progress between the team and shield. With Magneto gone too I don't know that I'll care to go on with this book. The humor was pretty lame this issue too.

Can anyone give me a summary of the current Uncanny Avengers stuff? Cable and X-Force just reminded me they exist.

Also wanna add that I'm enjoying that the new Wolverine & the X-Men is keeping its word so far about being mainly student centered and the small bit with Genesis really made me feel for him and totally puts all the future stuff of him on track.

PriNcessofDarXness fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 20, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uncanny Avengers is too insane to summarize. Celestial assassination and Kang.

It's pretty funny how after specifically calling out Emma's costume, it then managed to be drawn wrong. She has Magik's top in one panel, then has white highlights instead of red.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What is the last thing in Uncanny Avengers you read?

Pretty much, the Apoc Twins take Scarlet Witch and Wonderman to their ship. They say "hey Wanda, the Humans are going to exterminate us all, you should bring all the Mutants to our ship, and we can gently caress off. Oh plus a Celestial is coming to destroy the Earth". Wanda talks it out with Simon, they bang, and she tells Simon that yea she'll bring all the Mutants to the ship, so they can form an army of Mutants and take down the twins.

Cap, Rogue, WOlverine, Wasp, Sunfire, Thor and Havok come to the ship, fight it out with the Horsemen. Rogue grabs Logans powers and runs off planning on stopping Wanda, and Logan tells her "don't kill Wanda, just stop her" and Rogue, being a giant bitch about the whole thing ignore that advice, and snicks Wanda as she's casting her spell. Wonder Man sacrifices himself to give Wanda the power to complete the spell and Bam, all the mutants are aboard the ship. Unfortunately, because Wanda is dead, she can't free everyone so they're stuck in stais. Grim Reaper kills Rogue just after she stabs Wanda. While this is going on, Wasp goes tot he bowels of the ship to take down the device the Twins have to prevent anyone from time traveling, so Kang can't stop whats going on, because he can't rule the earth if its destroyed. Cap is captured, Thor is sucked out into space and the mutants on the team are locked away like the rest. The twins gloat over Cap as the Celestial Executioner shows up.

On the earth, everyone's trying to stop the destruction, Strange and a bunch of heroes go to directly fight, while Tony, Reed, Doom and Hulk are trying to build a planetary shield. They all fail and die.

Thor gets back on the poo poo, frees cap, the two of them beat the crap out of the Horsemen and Twins. Thor opens a portal and shoves the male twin into the sun. Thor fights the female twin and it looks like he crushes her under some wreckage. He grabs his Axe, which Loki enchanted ages ago to destroy celestials (because Apocalypse had embarassed Thor in the 10th century). He goes out into space, but the female twin shows up and again they throw it down. ALl of this The twins are taunting Thor about how no matter what he does its pointless, and Thor just responses with "I CARE NOT".

Wasp gets to the machine, but Horseman Grim Reaper shows up, but Cap shows up and fights him, is killed. The Celestial destroys earth and Thor is on the moon crying, when Odin says "Welp, that sucked, but your face called and it needs to be picked up. There's Asgard stuff we need to do"

That's about it, all we know is Jan is the only human that's for sure alive, all the mutants (save Wanda and Rogue) are in the Apoc twins ship, which is heading for a new planet. The female twin is still alive as far as I know.

It sounds crazy, because it kinda is. I think I remembered most of it. From what I read, as soon as Wanda started her spell/Rogue stabbed her, it became a new universe, a Rememerverse if you will.

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

Seriously. I'm also really surprised they didn't censor Mystique's dialogue in some parts.

Gonna echo that Bendis is seriously slacking in the delivery of any progress between the team and shield. With Magneto gone too I don't know that I'll care to go on with this book. The humor was pretty lame this issue too.

I was wondering what you mean about her language being censored, then realized she was throwing Whore and bitch around a lot. I can't wait until Scott finds out what happens to her and really goes apeshit on her. But Yea, its like New Avengers, please advance the story! You've got everything in place, just knock that first domino down. At least it looks like Scott's had enough and is sick of waiting around so hopefully next issue will start something. Also i hope they reveal the maker of the Sentinels.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 20, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I picked up an issue of Uncanny Avengers and it was just Thor and Cap running around, but it wasn't bad.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
You know, I was already leery of Bendis's take on the X-Men, but on top of that, I happen to LIKE Dazzler.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Looks like someone's been watching Archer. I am not a very highbrow guy when it comes to humor, but goddamn it the very concept of ugh Goldballs no goddammit i'm not calling him that Fabio Medina as Bendis' walking excuse for purposefully bad jokes is so loving annoying I cannot stand it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Look, if you can't appreciate a terrible joke for the joyous thing that it is then I think it's your issue.

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
HUGE thanks to Twisted for the summary. You've sold me on this book. (My wallet hates you.)

Jones, I feel ya. Xtreme made me a serious fan and I'm really looking forward to her getting back in the game.

The Goldballs jokes got a smirk and eye roll out of me but, it was specifically the pants soiling bits that were just annoying.

I can't wait for Magneto's next issue and thank you all for convincing me on Legacy #300... I teared up.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cabbit posted:

Look, if you can't appreciate a terrible joke for the joyous thing that it is then I think it's your issue.
He makes a doink noise when his balls hit Cyclops in the head. How can this be bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I was wondering what you mean about her language being censored, then realized she was throwing Whore and bitch around a lot. I can't wait until Scott finds out what happens to her and really goes apeshit on her. But Yea, its like New Avengers, please advance the story! You've got everything in place, just knock that first domino down. At least it looks like Scott's had enough and is sick of waiting around so hopefully next issue will start something. Also i hope they reveal the maker of the Sentinels.

Scott already made the decision to go after SHIELD in All New, so this issue was mostly pointless.

• Locked thread