Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

twistedmentat posted:

What happened with Hope? She was the most important person ever for at least a year, and now I have no idea what book she's in now.

She's in a coma in X-Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
Was it even shown on panel how that happened or is that just another one of the awesome mystery fall outs from that awesome X-Force vs. X-Force crossover?

PriNcessofDarXness fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 26, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

Was it even shown on panel how that happened or is that just another one of the awesome mystery fall outs from that aweaome X-Force vs. X-Force crossover?

It's a mystery!

I really hate that the new X-Force just dumped a whole bunch of characters and poo poo. Domino and Colossus getting together and Spiral being used and Boom Boom and Forge and Nemesis' back and forth.

But we had to make room for Marrow and the worst-written Fantomex ever!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think Colossus is joining the Amazing team

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Why did they cancel the good X-Force and make three lovely ones?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

I really hate that the new X-Force just dumped a whole bunch of characters and poo poo. Domino and Colossus getting together and Spiral being used and Boom Boom and Forge and Nemesis' back and forth.
I think the Forge and Nemesis dynamic might have been hinted to still be going on, but I agree that looking at the end of Vendetta (which did suck) I'm kinda fouled on all the good stuff it dropped as well.

Also, I like Puck. The world needs more Puck in books you wouldn't think he fits into.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MY ABACUS! posted:

Why did they cancel the good X-Force and make three lovely ones?

Hey hey hey, Cable and X-Force was good. It had Nemesis Scorpion vs Forge Mecha Ape. I'm still giving the new book some extra slack because of the author. He shouldn't have started the book on Marrow's point of view though. It looks like with issue two that we're going to get a different narrator with each issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

What happened with Hope? She was the most important person ever for at least a year, and now I have no idea what book she's in now.

They decided to bring Jean back (sort of) so who needs another all-powerful redhead when you can have the original?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I also think a lot of it is that "power: other people's powers" is a pretty challenging character to have around over the long term and it looks like they already completed her short term arc so she has to be on ice until whatever they have next for her.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess thats better than having her actually be Jean reborn so Scott got all creepy on her as a baby.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Rick posted:

I also think a lot of it is that "power: other people's powers" is a pretty challenging character to have around over the long term and it looks like they already completed her short term arc so she has to be on ice until whatever they have next for her.

Mimic in Exiles was the best example of the power: other people's powers character.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I guess thats better than having her actually be Jean reborn so Scott got all creepy on her as a baby.

Hey, Scott hasn't gone creepy on teenage Jean. Give him some credit!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

Was it even shown on panel how that happened or is that just another one of the awesome mystery fall outs from that aweaome X-Force vs. X-Force crossover?

It wasn't even fallout from the crossover, she was perfectly fine at the end of that. It's just a completely out of nowhere development for the new book.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey, Scott hasn't gone creepy on teenage Jean. Give him some credit!

This is true, but then Scott is in a weird place right now lady wise. Wait until he finds out about his younger selfs thing for X-23.

Speaking of that, I do love the brief interactions Jean and Rachael have had.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

E the Shaggy posted:

Mimic in Exiles was the best example of the power: other people's powers character.

Exiles has the best example of a lot of things, including best example of a great book that keeps dying.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

Exiles has the best example of a lot of things, including best example of a great book that keeps dying.

Now I'm sad.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
X-treme X-men was too good for this world.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do you mean the Chris Claremont one or the Greg Pak one?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The one that is actually an Exiles book. Even rebranding couldn't ward off that curse of cancellation.

Also what human being enjoyed Claremont's X-treme?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

The one that is actually an Exiles book. Even rebranding couldn't ward off that curse of cancellation.

I blame making Dazzler the selling point.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

E the Shaggy posted:

I blame making Dazzler the selling point.

Dazzler was great in it and it only makes her current treatment all the worse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

This is true, but then Scott is in a weird place right now lady wise. Wait until he finds out about his younger selfs thing for X-23.

Speaking of that, I do love the brief interactions Jean and Rachael have had.

Aren't they shunting young Scott off to a solo book where he has space adventures with his dad? Scott and X-23 reminds me a lot of when young Jean and young Hank kissed, made a great cover and was a good comic when looked at individually, but Bendis hasn't really followed up on it at all.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Skwirl posted:

Bendis hasn't really followed up on it at all.

Because he has a habit of not following up on the subplots he makes. It isn't something new. Aside not knowing how to write different character voices, respecting character development other writers have done, or even making good stories (how quick people forget BotA), Bendis has showed with his Avengers run that most of the time he just clashes toys together in an improvised subplot and immediately forgets about it.

Paul O'Brien, who has reviewed X-comics for more than a decade, puts it better while reviewing Uncanny #17:

quote:

Hanging over Brian Bendis’ X-Men run is the spectre of his Avengers run, in which a bunch of seemingly disparate plot threads ultimately turned out, after several years, not to even gesture vaguely in the direction of coming together.

(...) All of which would imply that we’re likely to see [Hijack] again at some point.

And yet, and yet… this sort of pointless shuffling of characters in and out of the cast was one of the more notably clumsy features of Bendis’ Avengers run. What was the point of adding Daredevil or Storm to that team, for example, only for both characters to vanish almost instantly? By all appearances, there was no point whatsoever in either case, yet it happened nonetheless. So do I put it past Bendis to just pointlessly shuffle underdeveloped characters in and out of the cast? No, I don’t, which rather colours my reaction to this issue. All logic tells me that this is probably a step in a bigger picture… but Bendis’ track record doesn’t inspire total confidence.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Aren't they shunting young Scott off to a solo book where he has space adventures with his dad? Scott and X-23 reminds me a lot of when young Jean and young Hank kissed, made a great cover and was a good comic when looked at individually, but Bendis hasn't really followed up on it at all.

He has been following up on it by showing Hank mad that Jean went with Scott during Battle of the Atom. And young Scott is only going away for a short time. They haven't said if he'd be out of the All New book but they did say that it was only like a vacation in space with his dad, not permanent.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Paul O'Brien, who has reviewed X-comics for more than a decade, puts it better while reviewing Uncanny #17:

I don't even remember Storm and Daredevil joining.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

So apparently Gambit has the power to restore robots memories by kissing them.

Also, :ughh:

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Did we ever find out who the random Asian-looking guy in the background of the All-New X-Men #1 variant cover was? I saw the three covers stitched together in a panorama the other day, and couldn't for the life of me remember if anything ever came of that.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

irlZaphod posted:

Also, :ughh:

One of Gambit's lesser defined powers is his ability to charm people so it's not that bad. Honestly if there's someone who's going to have a romance storyline with a robot Gambit+Danger is actually fairly interesting and I'd trust Peter David to write it well enough.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Did we ever find out who the random Asian-looking guy in the background of the All-New X-Men #1 variant cover was? I saw the three covers stitched together in a panorama the other day, and couldn't for the life of me remember if anything ever came of that.

Wasn't that what's his face? (I'm so sorry I'm phone posting) The new older mutant in uncanny that controls machines and Cyclops just kicked out?

Edit: just looked up the cover. Perhaps I am wrong.

itskage fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 25, 2014

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Also what human being enjoyed Claremont's X-treme?

I enjoyed it slightly, even though it felt really off-key tone-wise compared to many of the other X-titles of the time. I didn't read the first issues of it and came on around the time that Sage's background began being fleshed out, and while the Sage-worship is hilariously over the top, it's interesting at least to see some Hellfire stand-in get developed that way. To a point, it was an X-Men buddy book when there didn't seem like a whole lot of those on the market, so that's fun. Plot-wise, though, it didn't really go anywhere at all. "Rachel's back! Don't question how! In fact, if you're some teenager not that familiar with the X-Men universe that much, it's gonna be reeeeeally confusing for you who the hell this is, but hey! She's back! Let's party, everyone.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

irlZaphod posted:

Reading it I sorted of groaned, but then I remembered the character. Danger has been written as a living being with emotions, all the way back from Joss Whedon, followed up by Carey and Gillen. It does make sense to force an emotional response to get someone out of shock, which is what was causing the memory block or whatever. You do need to take Danger as a person instead of a robot for the scene to work, but that's suspension of disbelief.

It still was a rather Peter David plot device, but if you aren't into his stuff, then you picked a weird book to read.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The only way Danger should be used is in a story where they get sucked into a black hole or destroyed and everybody stands around saying it's a shame they just can't save them. And then the terrible naked robot character is never mentioned again.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Saoshyant posted:

Because he has a habit of not following up on the subplots he makes. It isn't something new. Aside not knowing how to write different character voices, respecting character development other writers have done, or even making good stories (how quick people forget BotA), Bendis has showed with his Avengers run that most of the time he just clashes toys together in an improvised subplot and immediately forgets about it.

In all fairness to BotA (and I mean I did the write up in the lovely runs thread so I hate it), the way I've always heard it was that it was originally something Aaron came up with and the editors decided to make it an anniversary event across the whole line. I don't think it would've been a good story either way but yeah.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Suben posted:

In all fairness to BotA (and I mean I did the write up in the lovely runs thread so I hate it), the way I've always heard it was that it was originally something Aaron came up with and the editors decided to make it an anniversary event across the whole line. I don't think it would've been a good story either way but yeah.

That makes sense. The whole event felt like a quirky arc of WATXM that was awkwardly turned into an event and dragged down by Bendis' pacing problems and love of the "heroes arguing with each other" type of conflict.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I liked Claremont's X-Treme X-Men right about until Lifeguard showed up.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Actually who is the X-Men group editor now that Lowe is on the Spider-Man books?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Suben posted:

Actually who is the X-Men group editor now that Lowe is on the Spider-Man books?

Mike Marts.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

HorseRenoir posted:

That makes sense. The whole event felt like a quirky arc of WATXM that was awkwardly turned into an event and dragged down by Bendis' pacing problems and love of the "heroes arguing with each other" type of conflict.

WATXM? It felt much more like an arc of ANXM, what with the thrust of the plot centering around the O5.

It also felt like Bendis handled at least 75% of the plotting, even if he only scripted half the issues.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Wolverine doesn't sit down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
When I first saw Cipher in the little side story panels of X-Men I was extremely psyched to see one of my favorite X-Men in training back in the field because I think her skill set is what Shadowcats should have always been but then they decided to leave her in the X-Jet...

• Locked thread