Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Holy poo poo a Bendis event where he actually managed to stick the landing, too bad he won't be writing any more young Scott for a while, the insane teenage bravado was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
So Jean is now scarier and more powerful than ever because [Bendis]. Ooooooookay then. Still, I can't deny I enjoyed her kicking the poo poo out of Gladiator, and Scott's father and son Space Fishing Bonding Session should be fun.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Doesn't surprise me, since Guardians has been pretty consistently good, even if his X-Men has been iffy, that the crossover was good. I'm gonna say it could have been an issue shorter, maybe.
Interested to see what direction he goes with Jean, now. My guess is "Phoenix or not, the poor girl is destined for a tragic end". Those who burn brightest burn quickest and all that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

So Jean is now scarier and more powerful than ever because [Bendis]. Ooooooookay then. Still, I can't deny I enjoyed her kicking the poo poo out of Gladiator, and Scott's father and son Space Fishing Bonding Session should be fun.

I like the twist of her developing her powers without it being tied to the Phoenix. She's been associated with it for so long that it really is a fresh take on her.

Hopefully Scott isn't gone too long from the book, though. But his space adventures will be awesome at least!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sentinel Red posted:

There has to be a support group for people who's powers go out of control.

Wonder Man probably hosts them, started out for him just to spend time with Wanda because he's creepy that way.

I liked Drax and X-23 going " I like your knife boots" "they're built in" "awesome".

And at least they had the sense to show that X-23 is upset that Scott is leaving. Someone remembered "hey didn't we start a romance between these two?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if Bendis will quit with the "what's a raccoon?" bullshit now.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
From Bendis's Tumblr

"EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK!

this is the cover to uncanny x-men 23. by chris bacholo

You guys were so nice and supportive of the trial of Jean Grey I got special permission this morning to post this cover. not only is our original sin tie in but it is also probably the most incendiary X-Men story, maybe ever.

boom!"

This can only go well.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

they bring back gay Wolverine from X-treme X-Men.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

coconono posted:

they bring back gay Wolverine from X-treme X-Men.

If this was true, it would only be topped by making sure he keeps his Herculean lover.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DynamicSloth posted:

Holy poo poo a Bendis event where he actually managed to stick the landing, too bad he won't be writing any more young Scott for a while, the insane teenage bravado was fun.

Really? You would call that sticking the landing? I thought Jean going Super Saiyan/reaching the Avatar State was dumb as hell. I'm really sick of every single little plot with Jean being "Oh man she's SO POWERFUL guys what if she flips out and becomes the Phoenix? Eh? Ehhhh?" I can feel Bendis poking me in the ribs and it's just like, I loving get it already, can you tell another story with the character or just go ahead and do your inevitable Phoenix event?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Senor Candle posted:

From Bendis's Tumblr

"EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK!

You guys were so nice and supportive of the trial of Jean Grey I got special permission this morning to post this cover. not only is our original sin tie in but it is also probably the most incendiary X-Men story, maybe ever.

boom!"

This can only go well.

After everything Carey did to fix Brubaker and Whedon's messes we're really already back to THE EVIL DARK SECRETS of Xavier you won't believe exist.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

After everything Carey did to fix Brubaker and Whedon's messes we're really already back to THE EVIL DARK SECRETS of Xavier you won't believe exist.

There are a lot of writers at Marvel who want to take Charles down a few pegs.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I can't wait for Xavier's Last Will and Testament to be about how he once stole someone's sandwich from the fridge, and the shocking twist is that Charles was actually the nicest man in history.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

If you're just going to comp some free fonts with a gradient on top of a simple texture, why hire Chris Bachalo to do it?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

redbackground posted:

If you're just going to comp some free fonts with a gradient on top of a simple texture, why hire Chris Bachalo to do it?

Ahem, they are also slightly bevelled & embossed

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Charles Xavier is actually some morbidly obese guy in Newark. He's been using his powers to steal a surrogate body this whole time.

Like the movie, except without bothering with a non-convincing hairpiece on the bald surrogate.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Ahem, they are also slightly bevelled & embossed
Complaint rescinded.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

"One time I made a lady cop strip naked. Then she got embarrassed and covered up but it was too late. I saw everything."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Charles Xavier was never a telepath but just had been really good at bullshitting the whole time. I mean he managed to convince people he needed to sit in a wheelchair again even though he'd been walking around for years and even spotted roller-blading.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rick posted:

Charles Xavier was never a telepath but just had been really good at bullshitting the whole time. I mean he managed to convince people he needed to sit in a wheelchair again even though he'd been walking around for years and even spotted roller-blading.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel Heroes needs to let you replace the big obnoxious Phoenix Form with Jean's new power.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Waterhaul posted:

What if, and bear with me here because this is truly uncharted territory, what if Charles Xavier... was secretly an rear end in a top hat?! Did I blow your mind? Did I shatter your view of a saintly figure?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Suben posted:

What if, and bear with me here because this is truly uncharted territory, what if Charles Xavier... was secretly an rear end in a top hat?! Did I blow your mind? Did I shatter your view of a saintly figure?
I hear he's a JERK!

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
Lookit that Xavier, preaching integration and understanding. Tribalist strike forces are the new hotness.

I'm hoping it's just hype, though. The Red Skull ate his brain, and that wasn't even the worst assault to his dignity compared to Deadly Genesis. Let the man have some peace.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That last panel has the greatest face, it pretty much sums up any time I try to roller skate or anything like that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Christmas Jones posted:

I'm hoping it's just hype, though. The Red Skull ate his brain, and that wasn't even the worst assault to his dignity compared to Deadly Genesis. Let the man have some peace.
It's too much to hope it's something Xavier did that was noble and self-sacrificing but is coming back to bite his students in the rear end, right?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You all are missing the big picture.

Finally we will have some resolution to who gets Charles antique wheelchair collection.

Well five parts into the arc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Christmas Jones posted:

Let the man have some peace.

No. That man you saw literally in heaven in Amazing X-Men was a skrull posing as Xavier. The real Xavier was actually in hell the whole time.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I do like how basically X dudes just go to chill in heaven for a while whenever they need a break even if this weeks Amazing reached peak Claremont.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

I do like how basically X dudes just go to chill in heaven for a while whenever they need a break even if this weeks Amazing reached peak Claremont.

Except Wolverine. When his body was co opted by demons his rear end went to HELL.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Marvel Heroes needs to let you replace the big obnoxious Phoenix Form with Jean's new power.

Enhanced costume to turn Jean into Young Jean. Just 2000G.

I thought X-23 was going to go with him. She's always drifting looking to fit in anyway.

As much as I enjoy All-New X-Men it's really hosed up in terms of space time continuum. Oh well :xcom: I guess.

No wait sorry I meant:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Christmas Jones posted:

Lookit that Xavier, preaching integration and understanding. Tribalist strike forces are the new hotness.

Looking back, I'm surprised they didn't use the Skull as an X-Villain more often.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

itskage posted:

Enhanced costume to turn Jean into Young Jean. Just 2000G.

I thought X-23 was going to go with him. She's always drifting looking to fit in anyway.

As much as I enjoy All-New X-Men it's really hosed up in terms of space time continuum. Oh well :xcom: I guess.

No wait sorry I meant:

Oh my god that emoticon :allears:

EDIT: I actually hope the reveal is that the Red Skull wasn't actually a nazi until after he ate Charles' brain. Let's go all the way with him having dark secrets.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 28, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Red Skull was, at his core, was a good person. He was just a little over his head, and the differences between him and Captain America were just cultural misunderstandings, or the confusion that patriotism breeds. At least until Red Skull came across Xavier's brain. It forced him to consume it. It forced him to hate. It forced him to kill.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

itskage posted:

No wait sorry I meant:

I guess I should know, but who's the guy in this?

vv Didn't know what he looked like.

IUG fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 28, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

IUG posted:

I guess I should know, but who's the guy in this?

C'mon there's only one writer that defines X-Men.

Claremont

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Yeah I was going to make it a character but I was having a hard time thinking of one that embodies the x-men as a whole. Like wolverine is all over the place but despite that and his own ridiculous moments it's not enough to sum up the phrase. Cyclops would be a close 2nd since he's almost always there from the beginning but I don't think he could do it alone either.

So I figured I'd grab one of the writers or authors and sure enough Claremont's face can pretty much sum up the phrase.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

redbackground posted:

I hear he's a JERK!

You ain't kidding!

Also, Bendis crams all his loving books with two page spreads because he cannot block to save his life.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Xavier is just adhering to a strict non-fraternization policy in the work place. The man clearly has principles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Is the Siege Perilous ever explained in detail?

• Locked thread