Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Magic hole. Stuff goes in, stuff comes out different. Sometimes it even comes out asian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynthOrange posted:

Magic hole. Stuff goes in, stuff comes out different. Sometimes it even comes out asian.

Just like the holes in the bathroom stalls!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Red posted:

Is the Siege Perilous ever explained in detail?

As was said, Magic Hole. Has its origins (as with so much of Claremont's stuff) in the Marvel UK books.

(Semi-)Short form: you go through the Siege Perilous, you pop out somewhere else 'reborn' - you have a new life, typically with no memory of your old one. Apparently reality just gets edited to insert you someplace and you've always been there, like. You're physically unchanged (Psylocke becoming Asian was later explained as something else, not an effect of the Siege Perilous itself), and you retain your powers. When multiple people go through at the same time - even multiple 'selves' in a single body, like Rogue/Ms.Marvel('s brain) - Odd Things happen (see: Nimrod and Master Mold becoming Bastion; Rogue and Ms. Marvel('s brain) getting separate bodies but sharing a single 'life force' so they had to fight over it, et cetera.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I remember being a kid and trying to wrap my head around the Siege Perilous, where it came from, how it worked, why it worked that way and always failing. I always just assumed there was some issue out there that I hadn't read. As I got older and filled in my X-men collection I realized that Claremont had simply painted himself into a corner with Fall of the Mutants and the Outback Era and needed a Deus Ex Machina for a magic out.

It also doesn't help that anything with Roma and Saturnyne gets immediately ejected from my head... Seriously, gently caress those characters...

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

As was said, Magic Hole. Has its origins (as with so much of Claremont's stuff) in the Marvel UK books.

(Semi-)Short form: you go through the Siege Perilous, you pop out somewhere else 'reborn' - you have a new life, typically with no memory of your old one. Apparently reality just gets edited to insert you someplace and you've always been there, like. You're physically unchanged (Psylocke becoming Asian was later explained as something else, not an effect of the Siege Perilous itself), and you retain your powers. When multiple people go through at the same time - even multiple 'selves' in a single body, like Rogue/Ms.Marvel('s brain) - Odd Things happen (see: Nimrod and Master Mold becoming Bastion; Rogue and Ms. Marvel('s brain) getting separate bodies but sharing a single 'life force' so they had to fight over it, et cetera.

Didn't Claremont say (in writing) that those who enter are judged? Judged by whom?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

Didn't Claremont say (in writing) that those who enter are judged? Judged by whom?

Magic

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Seige/Nimrod-Master Mold story bugged me because up to that point, Nimrod appeared like it *might* have been on the verge of some kind of realisation that its intended purpose in life (terminating mutants) was bullshit and was just content chilling out being a construction worker. Instead we just end up with another boring mystery villain.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I guess that makes as much sense as the Uncanny run I'm on on Comixology.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Magic hole. Stuff goes in, stuff comes out different.
So, it's SCP-914.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

SynthOrange posted:

No, it doesn't. :colbert:

Red posted:

It's not really stated, but presumably some sort of deity above Roma.

Shawn posted:

I remember being a kid and trying to wrap my head around the Siege Perilous, where it came from, how it worked, why it worked that way and always failing. I always just assumed there was some issue out there that I hadn't read. As I got older and filled in my X-men collection I realized that Claremont had simply painted himself into a corner with Fall of the Mutants and the Outback Era and needed a Deus Ex Machina for a magic out.
I'm not sure what gives you that impression, it was all fairly clearly plotted/planned from the get-go.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Claremont really thought Psylocke was pretty special. I've been reading his early issues and every time she appears it's like "an Asian... with a British accent!!???"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

I'm not sure what gives you that impression, it was all fairly clearly plotted/planned from the get-go.

Yeah.

Everything about the Outback Era was really done over the long haul. The table in the control room or whatever had each X-Man's face on it, serving as a checklist (to Havok, anyway) of the X-Men who've died, and who's remaining.

Getting everybody into the Siege Perilous set the stage for the Reavers/Wolverine showdown, and the Reavers had been planning to attack over several issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Claremont really thought Psylocke was pretty special. I've been reading his early issues and every time she appears it's like "an Asian... with a British accent!!???"
Yeah, but foreign Claremont characters have mental illnesses where they intersplice random words from their own language into English, so the fact that she doesn't say "sayonara" or whatever every third word is a huge change for him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, but foreign Claremont characters have mental illnesses where they intersplice random words from their own language into English, so the fact that she doesn't say "sayonara" or whatever every third word is a huge change for him.

It's even worse. She replaces every word with words from her own language.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

It's even worse. She replaces every word with words from her own language.

You mean she randomly put in British slang?

"My psycic knife is the focused totality of my bloody telepathic powers"

Man, that would be rough.

(Scene: Psylock in Beast's office.)

Hank: Betsy, I've run the tests and I've got some bad news.
You've come back positive for Dick Van Dyke Disease or D.V.D.D.

Psylock: Stone the crows! You mean I've got the disease where I randomly speak like a charactature of another nation?

Hank: I'm afraid so.

Psylock: Is there nothing you can do me old china?

Hank: That's the worst part. The only doctor in the world who can treat the disease is Dr. Mark Sloan. And because you have the British variant of D.V.D.D, he doesn't see any problem with it.

Psylock: Oh bollocks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

You mean she randomly put in British slang?

"My psycic knife is the focused totality of my bloody telepathic powers"

Man, that would be rough.

(Scene: Psylock in Beast's office.)

Hank: Betsy, I've run the tests and I've got some bad news.
You've come back positive for Dick Van Dyke Disease or D.V.D.D.

Psylock: Stone the crows! You mean I've got the disease where I randomly speak like a charactature of another nation?

Hank: I'm afraid so.

Psylock: Is there nothing you can do me old china?

Hank: That's the worst part. The only doctor in the world who can treat the disease is Dr. Mark Sloan. And because you have the British variant of D.V.D.D, he doesn't see any problem with it.

Psylock: Oh bollocks.

Her language is English.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Didn't the Phoenix Five use the "Siege Courageous" to travel around too?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Magneto #2 was a cool book, it's nice to see him kicking rear end again.

Although it's a little funny that they acknowledge that his powers are screwed up, yet he seems to be able to do whatever he wants anyway.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

Although it's a little funny that they acknowledge that his powers are screwed up, yet he seems to be able to do whatever he wants anyway.

Other than the gun levitation, his powers have been pretty indiscriminate.

I miss the stupid helmet, tho.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Welp, Uatu's a dick. I hope Hank kills him.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

triplexpac posted:

He seems to mostly be using smaller stuff in general. Nails, a gun, not throwing around cars or whatever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want to see Magik cut a demons head off while riding a motorcycle!

Also Kurt and Cap teamup would be great, though one panel I had no idea who they were talking about was "A Tortured Soul becomes an icon". I think its supposed to be Wanda, but I have no idea what the image was supposed to be showing.

The guy Hank was talking to I thought was going to be a future traveling Professer X.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm really torn on Doop. I like the art and the writing was fine up until the last part. But that last part just seems unforgivable to me. Doop speaks some actual words

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

twistedmentat posted:

I want to see Magik cut a demons head off while riding a motorcycle!

Also Kurt and Cap teamup would be great, though one panel I had no idea who they were talking about was "A Tortured Soul becomes an icon". I think its supposed to be Wanda, but I have no idea what the image was supposed to be showing.

The guy Hank was talking to I thought was going to be a future traveling Professer X.

I'm just eternally amused by somebody spending their whole night verbally annihilating Hank McCoy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The way that went down reminded me of how the Celestials treated Machine Man in Nextwave.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Yeah one gigantic hypocrite being lectured by another is not my idea of a good comic, although the Peter and Kitty story almost redeemed it.

I'll be glad to see the end of Uatu though, the cheap gravitas of him showing up and doing nothing is the worst crutch of the Bendis era.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah one gigantic hypocrite being lectured by another is not my idea of a good comic, although the Peter and Kitty story almost redeemed it.

It's Kurt's...or Cable's...its been a weird year.

I'd also very much like to see Kitty wear a "I am not Daredevil" shirt.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Uatu is probably one of the biggest examples of "someone developed the character a little but let's ignore it" dude in comics.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so Nightcrawler was really good? I'm confused. Claremont dialed up his early 80s style and owned that first issue.

Doop was loving disturbing. Don't ever do that again, Doop!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

I'm really torn on Doop. I like the art and the writing was fine up until the last part. But that last part just seems unforgivable to me. Doop speaks some actual words

I have no loving idea what's happening but I'm completely on board. That last page...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nightcrawler was garbage, who the gently caress said it was good?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Man, ANXM #25 was a massive load of poo poo. The fact that so many great artists' talents were wasted to illustrate Bendis's self-masturbatory drivel kind of pisses me off.

Hey Bendis, you don't get to spend an entire issue on how an idea is stupid when it was your idea in the first place. This whole issue felt like Bendis using Uatu as a mouthpiece to admit to what a trainwreck this whole storyline has been, and then moving the blame onto a fictional character so he can say "this storyline is stupid on purpose!" and continue to write his nonsensical fanwank. Really, they should have just done an X-Men themed version of Strange Tales (like the last third of the book before it goes back to sanctimonious Uatu mode). It would've been more fun than whatever the gently caress this was.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

HorseRenoir posted:

Man, ANXM #25 was a massive load of poo poo. The fact that so many great artists' talents were wasted to illustrate Bendis's self-masturbatory drivel kind of pisses me off.

Hey Bendis, you don't get to spend an entire issue on how an idea is stupid when it was your idea in the first place. This whole issue felt like Bendis using Uatu as a mouthpiece to admit to what a trainwreck this whole storyline has been, and then moving the blame onto a fictional character so he can say "this storyline is stupid on purpose!" and continue to write his nonsensical fanwank. Really, they should have just done an X-Men themed version of Strange Tales (like the last third of the book before it goes back to sanctimonious Uatu mode). It would've been more fun than whatever the gently caress this was.

Bendis isn't saying it was a stupid storyline. Where are you getting that? Sounds like you're just projecting your dislike of Bendis to the book.

He's played up that Hank has made a mistake. And Hank has been pretty hypocritical for a long time, so it was nice to see someone actually call him on his bullshit.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I hated ANXM too. Bendis is completely phoning it in and it seems like he's mastered the art of continuing to release issues but not resolve a single loving plot.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Codependent Poster posted:

Bendis isn't saying it was a stupid storyline. Where are you getting that? Sounds like you're just projecting your dislike of Bendis to the book.

He's played up that Hank has made a mistake. And Hank has been pretty hypocritical for a long time, so it was nice to see someone actually call him on his bullshit.

I would believe that if every character wasn't acting as stupid and hypocritical (as if hypocrisy even meant anything in comic books) as Hank is, or at least got called out on it. Everything about this storyline makes no sense, and almost every major plot point in it has involved characters making stupid contrived decisions that don't make sense, or random incoherent events that awkwardly move the story along. Nothing about Bendis' run so far have given me the impression that he plans more than one to two issues ahead of time; it's like he has a few vague ideas in his head and then connects them together in the least elegant way possible.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
As bad as Bendis' stuff is it's not as dumb as Adjectiveless just kind of haphazardly resurrecting Selene and Madelyne Pryor just because. Like not even the weird/dumb "psychic ghost" stuff they've done to use Maddy, straight up fully alive again which you think would be kind of a big deal and not shoved into an arc where the main villain is some kind of combination of Sublime's sister and Lady Deathstrike.

I wanted to like that book so much and it started strong but after the first few issues it turned into a giant turd.

Suben fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 10, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Brian Wood's adjectiveless was pretty much shite. Mediocre, plot-less, random things happening for no good reason, all characters having their voices wrong (how can anyone mess up freaking Rockslide?). Yet, nothing it did will impact the line in any important way. No one will remember it in six months from now -- heck, I barely remember it. Selene and Madelyne being back won't matter in any relevant way, Jubilee's kid will be a background character, and Sublime's and Rachel's absurd romance will be ignored.

All the stuff (which I will pretty much label as "the atrocities") Bendis is doing has an impact on the line. In fact it's establishing the whole direction for it that every other writer will have to accept. Beast changing randomly because "if Grant Morrison did so can I". The Original Five. Yet another dystopian future. SHIELD being the enemy. The Phoenix Trials. And he's been doing this for less than two years if I recall right. He won't be giving these toys away for a longass time.

Did you guys read the Phoenix Trial? Does that deus ex machina ending of Jean finding some new superpower to solve the plot look like good story-telling to anyone? A superpower that is just turning pink and doing stuff not even her older, much more experienced and battle-hardened self could do. It came completely out of the left field. Nothing in there made sense and that dialogue was atrocious. To me it's the perfect example to showcase why this guy can't write a team book, much less one with such an absurdly vast mythos like the X-Men.

Brian Wood has no idea how to write the X-Men either, and we have had a lot of writers like him (Joe Casey comes to mind), but none of those people tried to redefine the X-Men mythos in a large scale because. This has been Bendis modus operandi since the start.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 10, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rhyno posted:

Nightcrawler was garbage, who the gently caress said it was good?

I did. You wanna fight about it or something, punk?

Also I didn't like the first trade of All New X-Men so maybe I'm entitled to my lovely opinion.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Saoshyant posted:

All the stuff (which I will pretty much label as "the atrocities") Bendis is doing has an impact on the line. In fact it's establishing the whole direction for it that every other writer will have to accept. Beast changing randomly because "if Grant Morrison did so can I". The Original Five. Yet another dystopian future. SHIELD being the enemy. The Phoenix Trials. And he's been doing this for less than two years if I recall right. He won't be giving these toys away for a longass time.

Counterpoint: Chuck Austen's run which has been pretty much ignored (right? Right? Or maybe it was just ignored in my head).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ Every future in X-men is a dystopian future. SHIELD being the enemy is also nothing new. I got to respect that while he is doing some of the old things, he is still shaking up the line. The main X-men titles have been pretty stagnant since Morrison left. As for Jean's new power, who knows if the elder one would have gained it. It could have been prevented while under the sea, or she needed to be part of that specific fight to unlock. I mean its the same as bitching, how could Jean suddenly gain all this power and call herself the Phoenix.

The Donut posted:

Counterpoint: Chuck Austen's run which has been pretty much ignored (right? Right? Or maybe it was just ignored in my head).

A character he created was in X-men first class and was just in Amazing X-men.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 10, 2014

• Locked thread