Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Also, that's really dark whats happened to Dazzler.
What's going on here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

this is the cover to uncanny x-men 23. by chris bacholo
If you're just going to comp some free fonts with a gradient on top of a simple texture, why hire Chris Bachalo to do it?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Ahem, they are also slightly bevelled & embossed
Complaint rescinded.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Suben posted:

What if, and bear with me here because this is truly uncharted territory, what if Charles Xavier... was secretly an rear end in a top hat?! Did I blow your mind? Did I shatter your view of a saintly figure?
I hear he's a JERK!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Magic hole. Stuff goes in, stuff comes out different.
So, it's SCP-914.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

So Xorn never existed, and was Magneto the whole time, but he was being controlled by Sublime? Yikes.
You got it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Probably Magic posted:

Sabertooth was pretty great in that Mike Carey X-Men lineup.
This is correct.

I also really liked that Wolverine and the X-Men issue with Bachalo on art where Beast fights him in space. As one does.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

That logo looks better than the jammed together Avengers A X-men X version, but it also looks like SIXIS.
Yeah, that diagonal line in the A should have been eliminated. The shape is still symmetrical with the IS and that's enough. SIXIS is the first thing I saw too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I think they're going for the "spin it upside down and backward and it looks the same" thing. It's apparently called an ambigram. Quitely did the same thing more successfully for Morrison's New X-Men.
Oh, that's exactly what they were trying for, but quick, initial readability just isn't there (which for a logo, is Poor Form).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Who is the blue lass?
Kymri

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

Excalibur had the best covers

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

but then Davis returns about 10 issues later as writer/artist, and picks up dangling threads from his and Claremont's run on it.
I've said it before, but the Alan Davis run on Exalibur is one of the most beautiful runs of comics, period.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

When did we last see Sinister?
Teaming up with (Kid?) Loki to infiltrate Doom's castle for an A+X story, right?

(a great Gillen mash-up, to boot)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 19, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Those aren't in continuity though
Where does it say that?

I mean, they're mostly humorous shorts, but they never contradict or lay waste to what else is going on (that I can remember).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 19, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes in his last issue he visits Cyclops in jail just to rub his face in it.
I love the end of Gillen's Uncanny run, but I had forgotten all about that scene--it is delightful.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Well, I'll let the picture in the link speak for itself.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index....campaign=buffer
Oh, I hate that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Because I'm a complete masochist, I'm currenty reading through all the X-Men related series from the beginning. Is Dazzler worth reading and/or does anything of consequence happen in that series?
Preface: I own every drat printed issue of Dazzler.

Does anything of "Consequence" happen? Not really, as things affect the greater Marvel U. For the first chunk of her series, she gets tossed up against a pretty impressive list of nefarious ne'er-do-wells: Enchantress (who becomes a life-long arch because she loses a singing gig to Dazz), Doom, Nightmare, etc. Then in #11, Galactus comes calling and sends her into a black hole to retrieve Terrax. Those two issues are pretty great, actually. There's a solid What If... that follows up on this story that posits Dazzler becoming the Herald of Galactus for a nice chunk of time. She does some teaming-up with She-Hulk and Spider-Woman, and takes on the Absorbing Man with Black Bolt. As you can see, these aren't Important Stories, but they can be pretty fun, and Alison is a likable character. Later, the series gets more...soap opera-y? and she dates the Beyonder for a hot minute. :shrug: Archie Goodwin comes in at the end to bring some adventure back to the comic, and he does succeed, but it's all cancelled shortly after anyway. There was a one-shot that came out during the X-Men Necrosha thingy that I really liked, that has her fighting through a Greatest Hits of her Past, orchestrated by Arcade and her now-revived sister.

The Dazzler OGN goes between 34 and 35, btw.

Ann Nocenti did a 4-part miniseries where Dazzler and Beast fall in love for literally no reason whatsoever and it is terrible all around.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 8, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

I think probably the only thing which "matters" is the stuff involving Rogue, since it's referenced later on when Dazzler joins the X-Men.
The original, middle-aged, angry matron Rogue is still a weird thing to see.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

How well does Warren Ellis's Astonishing X-Men stand up to Whedon's?

I think Whedon's X-Men is one of the best runs ever and am a huge fan of Ellis, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.
It is a totally separate animal than Whedon's--they just kept the name because it had such positive connotations.

(I like the Ellis run myself, but don't go in expecting anything...Whedonesque, as the kids say.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That's Marvel's long standing issue. DC overdoes resets but Marvel sucks at new reader entry.
Well, except that Marvel actually has some version of a recap page in I think every comic to help get new readers up to speed.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 8, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Stories about the Phoenix peaked in Excalibur #50, anyway.
This man knows what's up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

Also this. In 10 years we could have an entire Avengers offshoot team of nothing but women, doombots, and maybe a dude, that Hawkeye has slept with.
Fixed for accuracy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

d00gZ posted:

that certainly was a comic in which wolverine died
Final cause of death?

please be a broken heart

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Wolverines final fate is Turned into an adamantium statue
I hope they put it next to the Jean statue at the school.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Beanpants posted:

He's clearly in some kind of stasis mode, his healing factor will restart, and kitty will phase him out of the adamantium shell.

It's one of the easiest outs in a character death I've seen in a long time.
Hell, Magneto just has to wave his hand at it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

And we all know it'll end with them opening it and he's not there.
He was inside us all along.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JoylessJester posted:

So are the developments show in the Avengers recently actually going to happen in a few months, or is it some alternate/fake/time travel/hand wavey mess that won't be dressed?
Hickman is leading the Marvel/Avengers line--what he says happens, happens.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah Spurrier is really good. My first exposure to him was a Warhammer 40k tie-in novel about a Space Gothic Armored Batman and it was surprisingly nice for the premise.

Tell me more.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

The reveal of who Harry actually is in the last issue of X-Factor was really cool and I hope more is done with it! Sad X-Factor is over. Question: When did the Maestro take over 2099?
It certainly never came up in the original 2099 comics way back when.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

The thing with this as well is (i'm pretty sure) no post Secret Wars X books or creative teams have been announced. So with the exception of Bendis nose diving things in the next issue or someone dealing with it during Secret Wars it really is a wait and see thing.
He was basically free to do whatever he wanted, and not have to take the next writer into consideration...as there isn't one, really. Pretty sweet gig if you can get it!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Isn't SW over at the end of June?
Ha ha, no. SW won't be over until sometime this fall.

At the moment, SW #5 of 8 is scheduled to come out in July. (This is the latest date solicited I could find.)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 18, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

I'm dumb, I thought #1-8 were coming out 8 weeks in a row. Oops.
That sure would be nice!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chill Penguin posted:

Oh yeah I've read Aaron's complete run of WATXM, good stuff.

Have you read X-Club?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

I'm reading through Uncanny X-Force (which has been amazing) and can someone give a quick primer on Otherworld? I know nothing about it/the Braddocks/Meggan/etc...
Just think of it as a hub of the multiverse where the Captain Britains thereof can monitor stuff and go anywhere they need to.

That section is easily the low-point of the UXF run.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Well, I'm glad to see that it's considered the low point, because I was reading last night and thinking "This is not very good compared to the earlier arcs and the art is almost incomprehensible..."
Remender and Tocchini had worked on some other project together before that, and seemed to get along swimmingly, so I'm sure it was Remender who rec'd him for UXF. But yeah, Tocchini poo poo the bed here and I remember the progressively more-upset comments that kept coming with each new issue on the ifanboy threads (which I was visiting regularly at the time). Just hold your breath and plow through.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

I'd be equally likely to attribute the, ah, boobishness of that particular scene to Art Adams, myself.
Probably a safe bet.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I've seen some of Moore's scripts/notes, and they are very charming and affable.
His notes for Killing Joke to Bolland are delightful.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dario the Wop posted:

While not a script, this proposal by Alan Moore for Twilight of the Superheroes immediately comes to mind. I know parts of this are insane, but I would have loved to have seen it published anyway.
It's a pretty gonzo story and it would still make an excellent Elseworlds miniseries or something, but anyway, to this day, the ending with Constantine in the bar is one of my favorite comic book endings, and it's for something that doesn't even exist.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 29, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Whatever happened to AoA Nightcrawler after he finished his revenge killings, btw?
I think he moved over to Astonishing under Marjorie Liu after UXF wrapped up, but I actually would like to know as well.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

There's a bunch of Weapons in between him and Wolverine that are largely unimportant.
Aww, Nuke's a good kid. You know what they say: "Weapon VII, A Match Made in Heaven!"

edit: I just learned a modified version of the character will be appearing on Jessica Jones!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 10, 2015

• Locked thread