Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, the Two Scotts moments were some of my favourite of the week, it's all so sweetly strange and awkward.

Still finding it jarring how Ilyana's more or less back to normal again and being all OMFG you're my BFF with Kitty given how the ending to Gillen's Uncanny left her but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
So Jean is now scarier and more powerful than ever because [Bendis]. Ooooooookay then. Still, I can't deny I enjoyed her kicking the poo poo out of Gladiator, and Scott's father and son Space Fishing Bonding Session should be fun.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Seige/Nimrod-Master Mold story bugged me because up to that point, Nimrod appeared like it *might* have been on the verge of some kind of realisation that its intended purpose in life (terminating mutants) was bullshit and was just content chilling out being a construction worker. Instead we just end up with another boring mystery villain.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Welp, Uatu's a dick. I hope Hank kills him.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
How was the new Amazing? I'm already sick to loving death of Nightcrawler so I figured I'd drop it, even if Bobby & Angelica team ups press all my childhood nostalgia buttons.

WATXM is proving surprisingly readable so far considering its main thrust is yet more ominous future bobbins that was old and played out back in the 90s. I want to believe Evan will not let Uncles Cluster and Wade down!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Laura & the X-Men > Albert & the X-Men > Warmachinerine & the X-Men > Deathlokerine & the X-Men > All New, All Different Reborn Mullet Wolverine & the X-Men

There you go, sorted.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
There can never be enough Patsy Walker. Never.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, gently caress those Brotherhood guys.

Loved seeing my favourite freelance peace-keeping agent show up in the X-Men special, and in something close to his classic green duds too.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
They should just have Alison be the David Bowie of the 616 and have her change her shtick every couple of years. I eagerly await the horror of Tin Machine Dazzler some point down the line.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Given the Mutant Massacre and its fall out was pretty much 'my' X-Men era, this week's Magneto was Really loving Satisfying. Yes, yes, I know they've all been on a production line for years so they stay dead for all of 30 seconds but Mags going to town on every last one of those bastards was glorious.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
He can just write the note to himself in coded paragraphs or any kind of made up moonspeak that only he/his brother knows about, so that any jailer who looks at it thinks nothing of it, eventually sneaks it out and does a Back To The Future II for it to be delivered to Room 589, Bumblefuck Hotel, Madripoor on date whatever. Job done.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hmmm, I don't know if the X-Statix return tease leaves me appalled or thrilled.

CONFLICTED!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Stagger_Lee posted:

Does she zap fools with lightning? Does she summon a pea-soup fog? Does she pick a lock or get trapped in a confined space?

Does she say "you have sown the wind...now reap the whirlwind"?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Emma's reaction to the news was pretty much exactly my own.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Blimey, if I could get one single commandment etched in stone at Marvel to be obeyed for the next 30 years, it would be no more hosed up reality future people travelling back to the present to do *whatever*. Rachel can stay, everyone else can GTFO. Bishop, Cable, the Apocalypse Twins, the new Brotherhood, the Phoenix Corporation, and everything else in-between. It's become a horrible, overused crutch that every jerk and his sister who gets an X gig seems to be obsessed with using instead of just dealing with the characters here in the present and telling decent stories with them.

Another decade of this poo poo and I'll probably spend what remains of my life trying to build a time machine to go back and stop Claremont from writing Days of Future Past in the first place..!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I rather enjoyed All New X-Men today, it had i) Bobby delivering possibly the most X-Men X-Men line as it gets; ii) Magik's reaction to the outcome of the big face off was absolutely perfect. Pichelli's art was delightful too but nothing new there. The only puzzling point was how/where did Warren suddenly get some semblance of a personality from...

Alas, Wolverine and the X-Men was once again insufferably tedious, despite the return of Broo, so I think I'm done with it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I do find it rather strange that there's a steady stream of Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Thor analogs out there (and more) and barely anyone cares or passes comment but as soon as there's a character based on an iconic Japanese one, some nerds get sniffy and act like it's unacceptable or can't go without pointing it out in a derisive manner. Like drat, there's near a dozen non-powered archer folks running around but heavens forbid someone do a Tetsuo homage, oh the humanity!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
She's not going to turn out to be Abagail Brand's mother, is she?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
gently caress it, they've already got the O5 here, why not bring Chuck along too? Good idea, Eva.

This is all running close enough to the 'don't call it a reboot' that I can almost buy this poo poo in a way. Almost.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Diet Poison posted:

I could totally accept it as "Dazzler is going through some poo poo" except yeah, she hasn't actually done anything since...

No one has to be fair, because this insufferable Uncanny story seems to have dragged on for an Old Testament lifetime as if someone made a bet with Bendis to see how long he could eke out absolutely gently caress all for.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Miles and Jean should totes be best buds when he finally ends up on 616, and maybe it's good thing he's going there too because at this rate there won't be anyone left on Ultimate Earth who hasn't seen his face, he's unmasked more than a movie actor playing Spider-Man even. Also, Bobby's constant dissing of Bobby was great.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That genuinely has to be the shittiest ending to a mind-numbingly dull and dragged out story I have ever 'enjoyed'. Like holy gently caress guys, that was bad.

And Eva's kind of OP now.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Plenty more Peters out there in the sea/cosmos.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It was good but there's just something that feels intrinsically wrong about Emma being all kind, helpful and reassuring to Jean, proper cats and dogs living together mass hysteria stuff.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, that final page was just perfect. I would be totes down for Spidey and the kids just having more mad adventures away from all the school jerks. It's hands down the best thing anyone's done with Pete in years, and his effect on Glob Herman is about as good as it gets.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I always liked how the New Mutants had these 'rad' graduation costumes where Sam's wearing a GI Joe's helmet, Warlock decides to look like Space Ghost and Doug dresses up like Cyclops for [reasons].

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Part of the appeal of X-Factor in those days was the fact they were all broken in some way. Jean was pissed over losing years of her life (and telepathy) to a hosed up, star-eating godbeing and the fact Scott had moved on and gotten married and had a kid almost overnight as far as it felt to her; Scott for his part pretty much had a breakdown, abandoned said wife and kid for a bit when he found out Jean was alive, thought he was going insane, blew up his house and developed a major hate on for Xavier; Bobby was more or less okay till Loki kidnapped him and hosed with/supercharged his powers to near fatal levels; Warren was manipulated by his 'best friend', lost his wings and his fortune and got Horseman'd; and Hank was pretty much poo poo on for almost 30 issues straight, defuzzed, almost killed by Pestilence and then got dumber and dumber to the point where he was practically drooling. And they all refused to get in touch with the X-Men after they found out Magneto was left in charge of the school when Charles left.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It tells her/you right at the start that Charles is gone and the X-Men are working with Magneto, which is a completely unfathomable, alien concept to her to the point she is convinced they can have nothing to do with the Weschester crew.

For their part, the X-Men are deeply suspicious over the dumb cover story, plus they're so scattered and have their hands full dealing with poo poo all over the place that they don't even realise Jean's alive until after Apocalypse attacks New York. Apart from Logan, who discovers it during the massacre and just thinks he's going out of mind and refuses to talk about it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
If someone turned up saying they were your daughter from a hellscape timeline parallel dimension where your dead sweetheart never died but married you instead before everyone was wiped out by speciesist robots, staying well the gently caress back is as valid and normal a response as any.

Looking back, I love how bargain basement Apocalypse is at first. Like, he's mad powerful and full of his Nietzsche shtick yet slumming it in Fucksville, USA with the lamest bunch of no-marks ever seen, then pootles off for a bit, collects a bunch of lames and turns them into terrifying agents of destruction and starts wiping out New York like it's the easiest poo poo in the world.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Fritzler posted:

The Vanisher one is so crazy, because he is such a badass that the original X-Men can't do anything to him. Professor X has to come out to stop him in the original story. And now he is just a joke. The original X-Men were not good at their jobs.

Awww, they were kids! In gentler times!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Tsk, she's not Catholic, you ignoramus! She is terrible though and needs to be fired into the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Unless someone with a massive continuity hard-on who loathes the entire concept gets the job at some point a decade from now, I'd say it's fair to assume the O5 are sticking around permanently. The post-incursion/SW universe only makes it more likely if anything.

• Locked thread