Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
The whole thing was basically a collage of interesting moments with several "wait, who's that supposed to be"s slipped in. I especially loved old Scott's talk with young Scott, and Emma's line about bringing toddler-Colossus into the present just to see how Kitty likes it. Bendis has a good voice for angry/flustered Emma, but that's just about the only time he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I just bought most of Legacy at a dollar an issue thanks to a sale at my LCS, but I have holes in the run, and today while looking for tickets to The Room at a shop across town I was fortunate enough to get issues 3, 6, and 7. I'm confident I can find the most recent three issues at one of the other stores, but on the off chance anyone here stopped buying it partway through and wants to sell 10, 11, and 12, I'd love to nail down those issues. Also need 17 but that'll be easier to find, I hope.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Doesn't surprise me, since Guardians has been pretty consistently good, even if his X-Men has been iffy, that the crossover was good. I'm gonna say it could have been an issue shorter, maybe.
Interested to see what direction he goes with Jean, now. My guess is "Phoenix or not, the poor girl is destined for a tragic end". Those who burn brightest burn quickest and all that.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Amazing and Adjectiveless are getting One More Issue from me, only because I forgot to cancel them both when I went to my store today. I really want to like Adjectiveless because I like Jubilee, but also Mercury and Bling and Hellion and am hoping for more of them... but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm still a fan of All-New and Uncanny, though. I don't think Bendis is overstepping bounds anywhere because it's all reversible without major retconning. We all know the O5 are going home at some point, we all know Cyke and Wolverine are gonna somewhat reconcile at some point.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

radlum posted:

Also, am I the only one that really dislikes his last arc? Here Comes Tomorrow?

Probably easier to ask if anybody actually liked it? I also loathed the Planet X arc and in my mind New X-Men is a great example of something that went from awesome to poo poo very very quickly.

I hate Magneto as a mass-murder type of villain. In his eyes, he's the champion of the mutant race and I like when he's written as a "by any means necessary except genocide" type. When he's written as a "kill all humans" type, it undermines the whole survived-the-holocaust aspect of him. I think him joining up with the X-Men when he did was believable and natural because they were living on their own island fortress and beginning to take on a more militant bent, which Mags would be all for. His recent strike out on his own is also natural because, mostly thanks to Bendis' glacial style, Cyclops' Rebel X-Men aren't really doing poo poo for the cause right now.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Pretty much squeed when I saw the backup in X-Men, since Rockslide, Anole, and Hellion are pretty much 3/5 of my "this is what I'd pitch to Marvel if I could" team, "Awesome X-Men". Problem is Wood writes Rockslide like Bendis writes X-23, like he's never heard the character speak before. Santo doesn't say "foolish", he says "dumb". But still, dude clearly wants to keep Rockslide out of the shadows, so I guess I'll keep giving Adjectiveless a chance.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Okay, the first half of Aaron's WatX, and at minimum Gillen's Fear Itself issues plus the one where Namor bangs a squid and calls redheads icky. Plus I recall really enjoying AvX Consequences.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
WatX could easily just take the name X-Men Legacy vol 4 or 5 or whatever the hell it would be. If they don't rename it that'll be a pretty big indication that Wolverine won't be dead for more than a couple months.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Decius posted:

I didn't like Kitty feeling the need to issue any threats though. Seems unnecessary and actually diminishes the scene before.
Yeah, that was really stupid. "So, I just witnessed you unequivocally telling that girl to not open that can of worms ever ever ever, in basically the most professional manner possible, and you're the poster-boy for "emotionally in-control", but you stay the hell away from her!"

Oh, and Laura would have instantly smelled that that wasn't Scott and would never have let him get that close to her. She's way more guarded than that. C'mon, Brian.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Gavok posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention how laughably terrible Origin II's ending is.

-snip-

Yes, Origin II did the loving Landfill from Beerfest plot device. With a straight face!

Art was nice, at least.

Incorrect.

Through the entire mini, Creed is only referred to in-story as "Creed". This is stupid because nobody would call their drat brother by his last name only, but whatever, it's true. I just skimmed back through all 5 issues to make sure. There IS an exception: in the recap to book 3. Which you can blame on editorial not knowing/remembering that it's gonna be revealed in 5 that it was never Victor Creed at all but his little brother Saul Creed (like Clara says on the last page of 5, "Saul's dead"). This was fixed in the recap for 4.

So it was Sabretooth's little brother the entire time. Victor Creed was, I dunno, hanging out with the circus the whole time or whatever and never showed up til the end. Still not a great ending, and you probably can see the twist coming if you stop to ask why "Creed"s sister is calling him Creed the whole time, but it's not as dumb as what you thought.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I had high hopes that this issue of Amazing was gonna be all kinds of funnybook-style fun, but instead I used it as an excuse to drop the series. Don't care that it was only a fill-in, since the last issue started Yet Another Story with Mystique as Villain. I'm also dropping Adjectiveless as soon as Bromo Superior's over- does anybody have any knowledge when that will be? Seriously, make the whole comic about Hellion, Rockslide, and Anole. I can't get over how boring Storm, Psylocke, and Rachel are.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Now, didn't she say something like "I'm sorry Charles, I can't do it" when X Jr was born? Maybe, because Comic Books, Charles foresaw his own death and booked some time with Mystique's uterus to drum himself up a shiny new clone body (explaining why X Jr looks just like Charles) and when the baby was born, Mystique had a crisis of conscience and decided she couldn't plug the Professor X Backup Soul Drive into the baby at the cost of its natural soul or whatever.

It's stupid, but still less stupid than a lot of X-stuff.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

twistedmentat posted:

So while I knew what was going on in Uncanny Xmen, the issue was really badly disjointed and didn't mesh with the last issue at all. It was like it went back at retconned the end of the last issue by a few minutes.

I did like Scott telling Logan to trust Quentin for a moment, as Quentin has come to trust Logan.

Future calling out Betsy for being a fake ninja and a white girl in a japanese girls body was pretty amusing too.

Huh? What were you reading? Cause I'm pretty sure it wasn't the new Uncanny X-Men, which was pretty good, although the big drawn out "just who is the villainous mastermind" was over and done with pretty drat quickly. The actual text, something like "there are far too many versions of us running around" made me smile, though. And Hijack saved the day, in typical "I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for these meddling new X-Men, whose power sets I don't know" fashion.
edit: Now that I've gotten around to it, you were talking about plain ol' adjectiveless X-Men. I literally forget everything about that comic every month until I read the new one. And now that Bromo Superior looks to have wrapped up, I'm done with it.

I'll be happy when this WatX arc wraps up. Too many fake-rear end futures to keep straight.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 19, 2014

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

twistedmentat posted:

Oh and hey, peoples powers will be back to normal now!
Never even thought of this. gently caress do I ever hope it's true.

And re: Dark Beast: No, that was totally out of nowhere. I don't even remember the last time we saw him. Uncanny X-Force?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm not gonna defend the Dark Beast reveal as anything other than unimpressive, but who should it have been? We weren't given any clues at all. The only time a villain reveal is good is when it makes you go "it all makes sense now!"... and I'm struggling to come up with a better villain than Dark Beast. I was expecting it to just be some other future-character from the lame future-Brotherhood that hadn't been addressed in ANXM.

I like the Bendis X-Men while I'm reading them, for the most part, but they do not hold up to analysis at all. I think they're fun, but that's the best I can say about them.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rick posted:

Mr. Sinister makes some sense especially since he's been actively around mucking with things.

When did we last see Sinister? (For real, I have a loving dreadful memory) And what state was he in? Reading the Wikipedia article on him to refresh my memory, he had a pretty good thing going for himself and was spectacularly foiled as Gillen's X-Men run ended. He would have been the perfect villain for a revenge arc like this. Say a result of him being a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone meant his body was breaking down, hence the fancy mysterio-esque suit. The convoluted grand plan is more in his wheelhouse than Dark McCoy's, too. Go back a few issues and hide a loving diamond symbol somewhere in his poo poo and there you go, all of a sudden the big reveal is way less lovely. And then don't have him die right away. Or do, but then splorp- another Sinister is shat out of a cloning machine in a cave somewhere that the recently-dead Sinister didn't even know about. The X-Men think they've won, but they're wrong. I'll get you next time, Gadget, etc.

Now where's our time machine and our paycheck?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Has there been any talk about the status quo changing once Wolverine dies here pretty quick?
If'n it was up to me, I'd cancel WatX, or rather, rename it just plain X-Men and cancel the current adjectiveless run which is boring. End the schism because of how sad we are that Logan's dead. The O5, or rather, O4+X23, decide to stay semi-autonomous and keep ANXM until Bendis is done with it, assuming Bendis has more of a handle on where he's going with this one than he did for Uncanny. That leaves us with:
X-Men: The school-focused book
ANXM: Bendis' book
Cyclops: Can't wrap up ANXM until this one's done what it wants to do, and I like this one a lot so far.
All-New X-Factor: Is still pretty okay but not as good as Gambit's solo
X-Force: You know, you could move Cyclops onto this title so he'd make less waves at the school
Uncanny Avengers: Doesn't count. Time travel book.
Amazing X-Men: I would totally cancel this one too and replace it with Awesome All-New New X-Men: The Rockslide-focused book everybody doesn't know they want yet.
Storm: I will never read this because I hate every version of her

Also: My unsolicited opinion on why Uncanny wrapped the story up so fast other than "Bendis sucks sometimes": He already has an idea for how the Original Sin issue/s is/are gonna affect his story going forward, and editorial said "no, you don't have two issues left to wrap your current story up, we gotta get the loving OS tie-in out the door because the event's 2/3 over already! Do it in one!"

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
If you keep talking about the past timeline, it will start to matter, and that's how we get poo poo like the New 52. The original X-Men come from the 60s, unless they don't, and the 60s were anywhere from 10 to 50 years ago. Independent of this, Cyclops is, like, 35 at most. Tony Stark also got injured in the second or third most recent war the US has been involved in.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me of something else that annoyed me in the last issue, Mystique/Dazzler vanished, but when they cut to a shot of the helicarriers bridge, there was a woman who looked exactly like her, because Bachalo has like one face he draws on women, and they are only able to be told apart via hair and clothing.

What's annoying is I like his style in general, but holy poo poo he needs to learn to draw womens faces that all don't look exactly the same.

I don't usually notice this with Bachalo, mostly because that face isn't near as infuriating as Land's only woman face, but yes, the woman on the bridge looking exactly like Dazzler only wearing red was jarring.

Oh, and according to the last question in this Axel-in-Charge column, WatX will be changing its name. If it's "Storm and the X-Men" I'll cry.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'd been really enjoying the direction Uncanny Avengers went in, and I guess it's too bad it couldn't last because I thought this week's issue was poo poo poo poo assy bollox (but Deadly Class was pretty great so whatever). It's not even the first time a problem was solved by "give Rogue EVERY POWER", but I guess it's the first time that strategy was used in conjunction with time travel? Anyway it just goes to show there is no good way to end a time travel story.

X-Force was fuckin' brill. Glad we didn't have to wait til issue 20 to be told what the Incident was, and I liked the twist(s). Spurrier kicks rear end when he's not writing the wackier characters as caricatures of themselves. Except Nemesis. He can be crazy as all getout because I read him as Krieger from Archer, so I'm just waiting for him to say "jazz hands!"

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Being able to read BotA at your own pace probably does make it more enjoyable. At very least, it removes the "gawwwwd, this is taking all summer!" element. I know people in the Transformers thread often complained about the Dark Cybertron crossover which lasted the better part of the year; I held off and read it all at once and didn't hate it.
Problem is I don't wanna test my theory since I have no real desire to read Battle of the Atom ever again.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Mahasamatman posted:

I enjoyed X-Force again. I don't know who the giant face dude is though. The evil dude talking to domino--who is he?

I assumed it was Volga in a new body. Borrowing heavily from Zola.

So... that next cover of ANXM of Laura kissing Angel. Think that means any more than the one of her kissing Scott (which meant almost nothing). As the world's biggest fan of the (Academy X) New X-Men, Bendis' lovely handle on Laura is possibly the thing I like least about his X-books.
Or pretty much every other character. I like how he writes the Cuckoos most of the time, I guess.

Also, twistedmentat, I read all of your posts as Cheryl/Carol. So keep posting weird poo poo.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Hinoarashi posted:

As Marvel's Top Dog, I figure he had to make the call to send Young Cyclops off, or at the very least, had veto power.

Yeah, but maybe he heard the pitch and begrudgingly decided it was good and that he could give up Young Scott. So I guess I can't really blame him for that. Young Scott vs Old Scott is my favourite of the interactions but the Cyclops solo is pretty damned good.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
It just felt like it put the X-Men on hold for the summer, and could have been finished in half as many issues. Probably isn't too bad if you read it at your own pace. Definitely required reading if you're gonna continue with Bendis' X-Men books.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
If anything I think current Cyclops should be written as even more "rogue leader" than he is. I've been following X-Men since House of M and if your only idea of pre-M-Day Cyclops is 90s Cartoon Cyclops it's a fun character arc as he gets slightly more militaristic because he's been waiting his whole life for this scenario to happen and knows his role in it, then you have him overseeing X-Force. And you get the impression he's not sorry about that, he's only sorry he got found out. Then he kinda levels out until AvX, where the trauma of basically getting high (on cosmic power) and killing his surrogate father makes him go completely over the edge. Honestly, instead of starting up a new school he should have been on Cable's X-Force (the power dynamic would have been incredible) before the upcoming reconciliation with the other X-Men, which, swear to god, HAS to happen soon. Then he could have taken on a period of "oh god, was my midlife crisis THAT public?", trying to shy away while other X-Men try to convince him he's needed to train students again.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I hope Dazzler's midlife crisis doesn't last too long. If it's only one issue and they manage to throw in a Spider-man 3 reference, it'll be genius.
While Uncanny moves glacially, Magneto continues to be great as a Mutant-Punisher comic (though I hope Bunn knows he can drop the "my poooowerssss" thing at the nearest logical point 'cause Uncanny establishes that Mags has at least some contact with Cyke's X-Men from time to time) and I still am really enjoying X-Factor. Though I'll be pissed if Gambit gets dropped from the team.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
What I liked about the Spider-Man one was it wasn't a #1. I like being dropped into the middle of a story where the situation is totally different than what I'm used to, for something like this at lest. X-Men did this to a degree but it felt like it was setting a ton of poo poo up that obviously is never gonna be followed up on. Also haha at the idea that the kids from the current Uncanny run would be aged up and major characters in 25 years or however long it is til the real 100th anniversary.
The end was a huge disappointment. Womp womp, here's the legacy of Jean Grey here to poo poo on presumed years of character development again.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I feel like I forget everything that happens in a WatX issue like ten minutes after reading it. New rule: no more Future Evil X-Men stories for at least a year, please guys? I actually liked the last Bendis one better than this Latour one. Stupid plotholes like the letter aside, I could at least follow what the hell was going on. Last time we saw Future Phoenix Quire he was a good guy implied to be on the JGS faculty, but this time he was a bad guy who orchestrated all the Faithful John stuff and was going to... kill his past self? Seriously, someone who knows what this arc was about try to summarize it for me- it flew right over my head in a blur of "huh?"
I'm gonna give it through the Death of Wolverine stuff to see how its status quo changes, but I really feel like dropping it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Knucklebear posted:

2. I'm used to Wolverine showing up in a few different books a month but it seems like the writers are going crazy moving character's around. For instance, Storm is apparently in Canada fighting Wendigo (Amazing X-Men), in the Adirondacks on an amber alert (X-Men), and back at the mansion listening to Prof. X's will (Uncanny X-Men) while stopping baby Phoenix and baby Apocalypse (Wolverine and the X-Men). I don't have a problem with different characters showing up in different books but I don't get the feeling that Wendigo Storm knows what Uncanny Storm is up to and it makes me wonder if it's even the same character in the same universe.

You'd say something similar if you were reading Captain America, Uncanny Avengers, and Avengers. And the answer is the stories are happening at different times, not All Right Now. When you consider that it is very common for 6 months worth of a title to cover one or two days in the life of said hero, this is pretty easy to deal with.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Nevvy Z posted:

And they just brought a random group of "All the Avengers hosed, here are their kids" children from the future in Avengers world. Because we needed ANOTHER future/alternate timeline child of the couple that just broke up.

Yeah but there's no indication they're ever gonna be A Thing outside Avengers World. Yet, anyway.

I'm like a broken record with this but frig, let's pull back from the Quentin and Evan and Idie show and have a drat book that focuses on the student body at large. Turn WatX into a anthology book with school stories, make X-Dudes a recurring one, and there will be no time travel allowed at all.

For real. I need a job. Let's pull Bendis off the X-books and I'll take 'em over.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Codependent Poster posted:

It's funny that you're complaining about students not getting featured, then complaining about Bendis. He's been featuring the new characters he's written in Uncanny as much as the teachers. Tempus is going to have the annual be all about her.

Only cause I don't know the X-office editor by name. Whoever's in charge of X-structure. I actually quite like Bendis' Uncanny and would probably rank it 2nd after X-Force in terms my enjoyment. He can't end a story to save his life (the recent Dark Beast bullshit) but I love the stories while I'm reading them.
I didn't know the annual was gonna be all about Tempus. Presumably what happened to her during her lost years. I'm excited for that!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah X-Force was fantastic this week, I really did feel like it was an Ennis war comic I was reading, for about 3/4s of it. Great stuff.

I honestly kept forgetting I was reading an X-book until the end. I noticed Nemesis' first appearance but Cable and Marrow went right over my head.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Fritzler posted:

Kid Apocalypse and Quentin Quire showed up in Deadpool, it was pretty funny, but also kind of sweet (which has been Deadpool's tone for a while). I hated they way they were both drawn, but oh well.
Yeah it would have been my book of the week if everybody didn't look like tourists from Lumpy Space. Quentin looked like he was 60!

twistedmentat posted:

Did Greg Land draw this All New, because the first few pages with Laura and Warren were just there so someone could draw a 16 year old all sexed up. I feel dirty reading that
Right? Me too, and I read ANXM right after Sex Criminals this week!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Magneto's solo title could really become Mutant Breaking Bad right now if it wanted to. And it really should.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I want a Cyclops, Cable, Magneto X-Force book. It would give everyone else a reason to keep disliking Cyclops since "you killed Xavier while possessed" is gonna wear really thin when he comes back (and he has to, drat it). You'd have to send his latest crop of kids to the JGS to be completely ignored in favour of Idie and Evan but that's hardly without precedent.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

TwoPair posted:

Maybe Beast will be sad after Wolverine's gone and he'll use his time machine to bring Teen Logan back that way Bendis can write that sweet time-paradox love story.

e: After Cyclops gets back from space sooner or later we can finally rehash every single love triangle story only this time with walking paradoxes. Adult Cyclops can only look on in horror thinking "Christ is this what we were really like?".

I really wish they coulda played with the X-23 loves Scott loves Jean but they're totally weirded out by their own future which pushes them away from each other but Wolverine and Adult Cyclops happen to catch Laura and Young Scott making out and everyone's just loving mortified by the whole situation. You could do a whole issue of them all avoiding each other and it would be a riot. I mean, there'd need to be a reason Wolverine and Cyclops were at the same school but whatever. God I hate the Schism.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, Bendis' Uncanny has had two separate hosed Up Powers plots - one where the Phoenix Five (excep Namor, and including Magneto, for... some reason) are having trouble controlling their powers, and a second one where the Sentinels would show up and the X-Men's powers would get hosed up (even more, I guess). Beast's nanomachine thing was intended to address the latter but not the former.

I think. It's ridiculously unclear.

Makes sense. I had no idea what was going on with their powers still being hosed up, so thanks for that.

The only thing I hate more than Evil Future Selves is Broken Powers. How long until the core X-Men books are good again, guys?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I am quite liking the set-up of this story, even though I know there is a 3% chance it'll end satisfyingly. But it's, y'know, teasing an end to the schism.
I wonder if Wolverine's gonna be part of this away team or if he's gonna die while they're gone, denying Scott a final chance to reconcile with him.

edit: Christ, that panel above only reinforces in my mind that the schism should have had Scott and Logan on the same side, with Storm and Beast on the other. But nooo, we can't have Wolverine playing second fiddle to anyone anymore!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Barry Convex posted:

The original rumor was that it's actually a rotating "______ and the X-Men" series, and I still suspect that to be the case.

Cable and Deadpool tried this when Cable was dragged away to X-Men, and from what I remember it kinda sucked. But if they switched it up every 6 issues, I can see that lasting a while. I practically jumped for joy when I read he wants to focus on the students who haven't been getting much attention. By and large the GH crew never did much for me, but I think there's loads that can be done with Velocidad (he's on my fantasy Reviving the New X-Men team) and I still like Eye Boy and Broo. Idie can feel free to take a year-long break as far as I'm concerned and I think/hope QQ's joining up with Cyclops.

Rockslide and the X-Men would still be a way better title, though..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Since when can the Cuckoos go Diamond-mode? I mean, it makes sense that they can, but I don't think we ever saw them discover it. My guess is Bendis assumed they can because Emma can?

And man, talk about your egregious stretching out of a story. That double-page spread with the skeletons? In no universe did that need to take up two pages. So in Uncanny we got 1)Bobby is still pissed. Shut the hell up, Bobby. 2)SHIELD has noticed Matthew Malloy. 3)Triage realizes that his X-team's situation is kinda hosed up. 4)The X-Men fly in their plane and Beast tells them that for real this is the scariest potential enemy ever.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 18, 2014

• Locked thread