Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Savage Wolverine is consistently good and like a thousand times better than the main Cornell book. The current noir-ish arc isn't quite doing it for me yet, but the last few with Joe Mad, Jock and the one where Wolvie is hunting down poachers are all awesome.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I kind of feel UXM improves a lot every time Bachalo isn't on it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't think it was a great issue, but it's got promise. It's really cool to see actual character development in Quentin Quire of all people.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like Yost, but am sad to see Aaron on fewer books. What's going on with him? I know he's working on that Watcher event, but does he really have nothing else other than Thor on the pile? Is he doing any creator-owned books at all?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

I have some horrible feeling they'd recently done a resurrect Jean event like, centered on Pryor or something horrible like that? I feel like it was right around Necrosha? It's either I'm repressing a storyline or I'm having difficulty discerning my nightmares and flashbacks to Greg Land art, though. Both feel about the same.

It may not have involved Greg Land. The faces haunt me.

Phoenix: Endsong is the last story to use the original Jean Grey, I believe, and it was penned by Land. The Pryor story you're thinking of was probably during Fraction's run on Uncanny, which was also under the foul scrawl of Land.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Claremont really thought Psylocke was pretty special. I've been reading his early issues and every time she appears it's like "an Asian... with a British accent!!???"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I think most people would agree Marvel went down the shitter when Disney bought them. Everything turned into a platform to launch movies instead of letting the movies happen naturally. There's no room for new risky things, because everything needs to be safe with some way of turning it into yet another profitable PC movie.

That's some revisionist loving history, dude.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Because it operates under the presumption that it wasn't like that before.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fritzler posted:

I want to like X-Force. I thought Fantomex's bad french would be a tipoff. But the Fantomex said "le infiltration" and Betsy corrected him to "la infiltration." Is that supposed to mean his French is bullshit? I ask because it should really be "l'infiltration". I'm just a little confused, and Fantomex's accent is the one thing really putting me off of the book.

Everything Fantomex does is put on. He's not a real person.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

I'm still not sure if I'm reading X-Factor just because Doug and Warlock are in it, or if I'm actually enjoying reading it.

I think it's improving - the latest issue was probably the best - but it still doesn't seem like it's going anywhere and I really don't like the art. I'll stick with it for now, Peter David tends to play the long game with his books.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd replace Gillen's Uncanny with Aaron's WatX. Gillen writes a good Namor, but I thought that run was entirely forgettable aside from that one Dr. Manhattan post-AvX issue. Plus, it has Land on art. Hell, I'd put ANXM on the list before that one.

Spiderdrake posted:

I was enjoying it before that and then Doug showed up acknowledging the earlier run he was in and I wanted to high five Peter David. I feel like there have been so many good recent X-books that aren't the up front big deal books that whenever people say 'hey I read that' it makes me really happy.

I do like the art though, and I am not in the hates Danger camp anymore either so ... I might be the odd duck here.

Thinking about it, it's more the colourization I don't like. I'm so loving sick of that goddamn orange.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 18, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Suben posted:

The problem with Storm is that she's just a pile of "Strong" characteristics and not much more than that. She's a virtual goddess, a queen, a former street urchin (but this makes her crafty), she's powerful, a good hand-to-hand fighter, a leader, etc. The problem, of course, is that on the surface that makes for a cool character but in practice it's actually detrimental because there's nothing there for the reader to get hooked into as a driving motivation. Maybe Pak can change that though, who knows?

It's a more extreme version of the problem Carol's had under KSD. I think there's a good character beat under there (that was sort of touched on in both Busiek's run and House of M) of someone who has all the potential, and the desire, in the world to be one of the best heroes but has to constantly struggle with self-doubt that holds her back but she's going to keep plugging away anyway. That's a relatable hook for a lot of people I think. But under KSD she's just been made into someone who's strong and awesome and the best and we're constantly told this, please view her as inspirational. The best description I've seen of current Carol is that she's not a character, she's a hashtag.

Storm doesn't even really have that though. She's never really had the same struggles as a character that Carol's had. She's strong and beautiful and competent and everyone wants her with no seeming character flaw to counter it.

I've said this before, but Storm should ideally be treated as a female Thor. He doesn't really have any obvious flaws either, at least in the more modern comics, but a lot of his character is influenced by his supporting cast. I think the problem with Storm is that no one really relates to her at all; she's just this weird, otherworldly goddess that everyone looks up to because she's austere and powerful, but her actual relationships are very rarely explored.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've liked Adjectiveless, probably more than Uncanny, but I think I'm the only one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Starting to think Bendis needs his own complaint thread 'cause drat

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unmature posted:

While I always loved the X-Men movies and TV shows, I never got big into the comics. I'd read a few here and there like some of Whedon's run and stuff, but it's a big blindspot for me. So this summer I'm gonna read through all of Claremont's run. That's 16 years of comics. Is this the worst idea ever?

Also I'm gonna do this while I read it.

No, I'm actually planning on doing the same. It's honestly not as big a task as it sounds; those issues read pretty quickly for the most part. Half the dialogue of that era is recapping what happened in the last issue and what the powers of each character is, so there's a lot of non-essential text.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unmature posted:

Just read the first three volumes of All New X-Men and absolutely love it. Is this the one you guys all hate?

Uncanny is the boring, sloppily written one. I still enjoy ANXM.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I know I'm generalizing, and I can't really blame people for being dismayed with Bendis, but sometimes I get the feeling that the only thing that could please some of you guys is if every comic reverted back to being perpetually stuck in the silver age.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Diet Poison posted:

Being able to read BotA at your own pace probably does make it more enjoyable. At very least, it removes the "gawwwwd, this is taking all summer!" element. I know people in the Transformers thread often complained about the Dark Cybertron crossover which lasted the better part of the year; I held off and read it all at once and didn't hate it.
Problem is I don't wanna test my theory since I have no real desire to read Battle of the Atom ever again.

I read the monthly issues and I liked most of it, too. But I did ultimately think it was pretty disposable; I couldn't tell you what happened if you put a gun to my head.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Inhumans have awoken within the general population, so they might as well be interchangeable from mutants at this point. Generally the rule of thumb is that Inhumans have more abstract powers and are typically more "inhuman" than mutants, though obviously there are exceptions.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It could be read that way, but the thing is, the whole power issue is handwaved by most writers. The fact that many mutants have the capability to level a city is tertiary to the fact that they're persecuted by everyone, and I haven't really seen many stories that try to tackle that aspect of X-Men. Even Morrison sidestepped it by making powers seem like just weird, arbitrary poo poo that happens to you as you grow older as opposed to tools that are often specifically designed for combat or manipulation of humans.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

I prefer to imagine him as a K9999 homage because he got stuffed into a drawer and quietly forgotten about pretty quick.

Deep cut man :smith:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure he's said he's only going to be doing creator-owned stuff after finishing Avengers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

UniqueLikeMonique posted:

Hey I just thought I'd share it since it was relevant to the fandom.

You guys really that mad that its in a cartoony style rather than hyper realistic? That's the style of our webcomic and we adapt pop culture characters into that style rather than try to imitate their own respective art styles.

Plainly stated, it's not very funny.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

UniqueLikeMonique posted:

Is it because I didn't use the most original super powers? Gotta give me credit for not using Wolverine and his rapid recovery time at least

The theme is not the problem.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I haven't hated all of Bendis' X-Men run. All-New was consistently pretty good, I think. At the very least it was better than his latter-day Avengers run. But yeah it's been time for a new writer for a long-rear end time. He really wasted all the potential with Scott that Gillen set up in those last few issues of his run. UXM was generally pretty loving bad, though I do think Bachalo takes some of the blame for that too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I wonder if there's an in universe reason for an all female team.

"All the men are either dead, part of the illuminati, or crazy/turned evil, screw 'em"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I haven't read the newer issues, but I thought the whole Dazzler thing was "Mystique tortured me and that sucked, but now I'm back to being Dazzler again"? I'm sure I remember her showing up in her old disco outfit.

• Locked thread