Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Any thoughts on the post-credits scene in Apocalypse? It's teasing Mr. Sinister.

I'm not too familiar with the guy, all I really know is his role in Inferno and the time he turned everybody in San Francisco into clones of himself. As much as I'd pay to see the latter, I'm guessing it's going to revolve around Sinister cloning people, probably resulting in X-23 since Hugh Jackman's getting ready to leave the franchise.

I suppose you could throw Inferno into the blender, too, if you really wanted, and put Mystique in the Madelyne Pryor role. But going from Apocalypse to Sinister just seems like kind of a step down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I guess you could have Cable try to explain his convoluted backstory to an exasperated Deadpool. Or he could just be a guy with a metal arm and pouches.

twistedmentat posted:

Actually, Sinester would be a way better Deadpool 2 villan than a future X-men villain.

This is an excellent idea.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This is purely anecdotal, but if you're the sort of person who's buying all the X-titles because you're an X-Men supernerd, you're probably not buying the Deadpool stuff, or you're buying it for a different reason.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Endless Mike posted:

Sure, but the argument is "Marvel hates X-Books because Fox has the movie rights!!!!" so Deadpool would certainly be included under that supposed hatred, regardless of whether he fits in thematically or not.

Ah, yeah. There's still quite a few books going on each month, even without the Deadpool enclave.

There are elements to that argument I can kind of buy--making Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch not mutants so they could be used by the MCU, and depowering mutants and bringing in Inhumans certainly seems suspect if you're already on board with the theory. But honestly you can deflate that theory with the simple statement that Marvel needs money and X-books are a big seller. Really, Deadpool is the bigger proof against Marvel sidelining the properties they don't own the rights to.

It's certainly true that Marvel is pushing Inhumans (despite apparently any reader interest whatsoever; I literally had to stop and think about what they were called for a minute) so that any new superpowered characters end up under their banner, but that doesn't have to mean they're crippling the X-Men line at the some time.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I hope Wolverine's return is part of a months-long crossover event called Rebirth of Wolverine. Nobody'll see it coming.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Is Matt Fraction's run on Uncanny good enough to force myself through 20 issues of Nick Land art and 15 issues of only-not-bad-in-comparison-to-Nick-Land art? I've really enjoyed the first five issues or so, but (and I hate to beat a dead horse) good lord is the art awful.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Thanks everybody.

I liked the idea of mutant nation-building in the first couple issues, but then it starts getting into post-Inferno Madelyne Pryor and Colossus daddy issues, which would probably be entertaining enough if it weren't for the art.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I look forward to Land's big fight scenes because it means the panel will probably be devoid of those soulless, grinning faces.

I decided to get Second Coming instead because it's got a couple issues of Fraction's run and I want to start reading New Mutants eventually. It reminded me a lot of X-Tinction Agenda, in that the is really well-paced and hangs together nicely, but it's let down by having kind of lame villains (at least until you get to the future Sentinels).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

rantmo posted:

I'm really not looking forward to the finale since they're basically going to have to cram the entire event into it because nothing has happened yet. It feels like it's been three issues of stalling for time and then a thing will happen and then it's on to the next event. I'd like it to be good, but I just don't see how it's anything other than a letdown.

Also, all of the X-Plain the X-Men Patreon voices are great though I think my favorite Miles voice is either Sexy Dracula or Apocalypse. I chose the Angry Claremontian Narrator for mine.

The whole Death of X thing seems like it's basically just a lead-in to IvX, considering that the escalation between the Inhumans and the X-Men is literally the only thing that's happened. There's no point to flashing back eight months; the books had enough on the current status quo that seeing just how the Terrigen clouds float over the world is totally pointless. And the only "mystery" to be revealed is how Scott died, which, again, doesn't matter because how he died doesn't have any impact on what's going on.

I really can't wait for ResurreXion because, as much as I've enjoyed All-New Wolverine and every other issue of All-New, this whole era feels pointlessly contrived around an event in continuity that literally doesn't matter.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The fact that they've got a professional producer and also experience with long-distance guests speaks favorably for the future of the show. It's not just some fly-by-night operation. So the means are all there as long as they're willing to continue the show.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
If worse comes to worse, it would be oddly appropriate for Jay and Miles to do one episode on the 90s relaunch and just walk away.

Does anyone have opinions on Paul Cornell's work on Wolverine? (Stuff from the past couple years leading up to his death, it looks like.) I know him from his work on Doctor Who, which is rather excellent, but I've heard pretty mixed stuff about his run. I'm not generally a big fan of Wolverine but I like Cornell enough I thought it might be worth looking at.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rhyno posted:

It's almost as if she was forced upon the X-Books and nobody actually wants to use her in their stories.

Young Jean is probably the one of the O5 with the most potential for interesting stories, it's just nobody's managed to actually write one.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
She did learn from the best.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rhyno posted:

Like making him a Summers brother?

Redundant, but tie him into Mr. Sinister.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Wasn't Xorn weirdness at some point confirmed to be the result of Scarlet Witch faffing around with reality?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm largely fine with Bachalo's art, but, like, if you're an artist that tends to draw same-y characters, maybe don't have two similar-looking characters in almost identical outfits?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SMP posted:

So I've been digging into Wolverine stuff after seeing Logan, and uh, are there any good Claremont Wolverine stories that aren't racist as hell? The mini-series with Miller was alright, but pushing it. I read the first two issues of his first ongoing though, and god drat. Everyone looks like WW2 propaganda, the term "dragon lady" is used unironically, and white women are constantly under the threat of rape from seedy Asian men with pointy ears.

If you're just looking for Claremont stuff those are probably the big two right there. Besides that, you've got some individual issues, like #133 during the Dark Phoenix Saga, aka the story that made Wolverine Wolverine, or #205, which is his duel with Lady Deathstrike illustrated by Barry Windsor-Smith.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Magik is great in the original run on New Mutants; she's a main character for a good 60 issues or so. That's really the high-water mark for her, unfortunately. She hasn't been too interesting since her resurrection, though Kieron Gillen's run from the end of Uncanny Vol. 1 through the end of Uncanny Vol. 2 (so basically, Fear Itself, Avengers v X-Men and some non-crossover stuff in between) comes close but just misses the mark of making her a fascinating character again. It's a really great run on the whole, though.

Her prominence lately seems to come less from writers being interested in her character and more from the fact that she can teleport around the world.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, man. I'm about 90% on board with Bachalo, but giving him characters that look and dress that similar was ROUGH.

http://imgur.com/a/gwkWC

The other artists didn't have as tough a time with it but there were still problems there.

I don't remember, did the Cuckoos show up in Uncanny around that time? They dress differently at least, but put them all together and you've got Emma Frost, three clones of her, and a girl basically drawn as a clone of her, all on the same page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Codependent Poster posted:

Stupid Hank is still better than giant rear end in a top hat hypocrite Hank.

Giant rear end in a top hat Hank is the best because he's been slowly sliding towards becoming straight up Dark Beast for years now and it's gonna be great when that dam finally breaks.

• Locked thread