Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

E the Shaggy posted:

Mimic in Exiles was the best example of the power: other people's powers character.

Exiles has the best example of a lot of things, including best example of a great book that keeps dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
X-treme X-men was too good for this world.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The one that is actually an Exiles book. Even rebranding couldn't ward off that curse of cancellation.

Also what human being enjoyed Claremont's X-treme?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I can't wait for Xavier's Last Will and Testament to be about how he once stole someone's sandwich from the fridge, and the shocking twist is that Charles was actually the nicest man in history.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

hope and vaseline posted:

I pretty much try to view Morrison's run in a self-contained bubble and don't try to apply the ret-ret-retcons that happened afterwards. It's pretty funny how everyone loved Xorn and what a great teacher and inspiration he was to all these kids, if only Mags would just drop the angry old militant mutant act.

sidenote: Didn't Claremont or Austen come up with the twin Xorns or something afterwards, before Bendis tried to clean it up?

Well, Magneto being a great teacher was already a thing because he spent one of his dozen face turns working with Charles at the school.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Grant Morrison's take on Magneto rules because before the head X-Writer's chair stopped spinning from him hopping off Marvel went and proved it entirely right.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Every writer should trash the MLK Malcolm X model because it's incorrect and pretty loving offensive. X-Men is and always will be a very simplistic and pretty weak racism metaphor at the best of times, when even the "conservative gradualist" has a personal paramilitary group that not only defends mutant interests but ensures mutants are acting the 'right way'. Moving on to something, anything better than that poison well is a better idea.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And the idea that Cyclops would go "Oh thank god, there are 6 more mutants than there were a year ago. Best to let nature take it's course, so that on my deathbed we may have as many as one thousand mutants!" is kind of weird.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
We're all missing an angle here: Ghostverine.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Isn't cool-rear end Xtreme eXiles Wolverine still around? He should be the Superior Wolverine.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah but his Hercules is dead per the terrible crossover before Age of Ultron.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sabretooth really should have stayed an Iron Fist villain.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Suben posted:

I hate Bendis' X-Men, the future Brotherhood and everything associated with BotA, the worst X-Men story ever.

Would that we lived in a world so great that anything Bendis writes will be the worst X-Men story.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Strong Guy is no longer a demon lord, sadly. Charles Soule had the Thunderbolts oust him, and he rejected their offer to give him a lift out of hell.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, I am unashamed in my love for Thunderbolts, but I'd say so. Soule's really made a purse out if Way's sow ear of a run.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I hope Axis ends with Magneto throwing Red Skull in a basement again.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Archyduke posted:

I'm reminded of Wolverine: In the Flesh, the one-shot where he teams up with Chris Cosentino for some reason.

Think of how many men and things like men that Wolverine has stabbed with those claws. Ew ew ew ew.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, it was a very accurate x-comic in that respect.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

mind the walrus posted:

I know right? Pray tell they never see the notches in She-Hulk's bedpost.

Everyone knows that all that was from the alternate reality She-Hulk from the slutty dimension - Dan Slott, Continuity Cop

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A deadly Sonic And Knuckles adapter

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, the fact that Wolverine wants things to be a way but keeps himself from changing those things by being unable to break his lovely patterns of behaviour is a pretty major character beat.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, no one can consistently bring out their A game book after book, and sometimes a tone that works for one situation just doesn't mesh with another.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The X-Men have always been a really bad metaphor for racism, and the more writers try to bring that to the fore the more terrible the metaphor looks.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

notthegoatseguy posted:

It was a bullshit explanation too because Colossaus' powers were working just fine and he was part of the Five as were Namor.

Is there a reason Emma's powers aren't working now? Shouldn't the nanomachines be out by now?

Colossus had to have a power regulating harness after AvX otherwise his powers were just as unreliable.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

BrianWilly posted:

I genuinely, unironically enjoy what Austen did with Juggernaut and Sammy the Fish Boy.

That's the true tragedy of Austen's run, that it's not a consistent shitshow but a shitshow that displays the potential to be an actual wonderful run.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's a pity that Marvel really killed Morrison's best idea in the cradle with the great depowering of all mutants without sufficient sales. His work on the idea of mutants as a minority group with their own developing culture as opposed to a broadest brush stand-in for every minority's woes could have gone interesting places.

Also Magneto straight up pointing out that no matter what he does it won't loving matter because retcons was wonderful for how fast and how high Marvel jumped to prove it true.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I always laugh remembering that Apocalypse's first appearance was him filling in for the loving Owl of all people.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Or you want to wade through a mile of poo poo for, like, three good Juggernaut moments.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If you include Ultimate X-Men, you actually improve Austen's aggregate score ironically enough.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Same, except Thunderbolts.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hercules lost that contest, actually. That mini kinda ruled.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It was the most powerful booze in the universe to save Planet Best Brewery

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Bringing back Old Scott as a reverse Reed/Maker sort of dynamic would certainly be an interesting twist, but all X-People fall under the Magneto rule of face turns so it'd never happen.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Endless Mike posted:

The sole individual if you ignore Lurdiak.

Which I guess I wouldn't be shocked if you did.

Lurdiak doesn't think it's overrated, that's not overly dramatic enough and would require restraint and perspective.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah the Fantastic Four, pushed out to being the springboard book of The Event of 2016. Just like how the X-men were marginalized into having a full dozen books. drat that vindictive Marvel.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mr President posted:

It's not a conspiracy. They used Secret Wars to get rid of the Fantastic Four in 2015 and it's very obvious from the huge push for the Inhumans that came from both the comics and television divison that they were meant as a hasty replacement for the mutants and I absolutely believe Rich Johnson (who whether you like it or not does get insider information) that there was talk at Marvel of using the terrigen cloud to either move the X-Men to there own reality or make them a smaller marginalized part of the Marvel Universe. Why would anyone even dispute that? Look how often Marvel bends over backwards to make the comics more like the movies regardless if it makes sense (compare the Guardians of the Galaxy from 2008 or even 2013 to how they are portrayed now for example).

They shoved the X-men away, it backfired and now sales are suffering (for a variety of reasons) and that's why there doing this huge Resurection marketing push.

Please source your Bleeding Cool quotes.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
We're living in a world where the person who says Valiant is old fashioned is the one who's out of touch. And that rules, because New Valiant is some of the best comics currently being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

bobkatt013 posted:

Except shadowman

Shadowman is probably as good as Shadowman is ever going to get which is still pretty bad but that's okay.

• Locked thread