Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's also good when Alan Davis comes back - Excalibur #50 is one of my favourite single issues of any comic. All that stuff with Necrom and the Anti-Phoenix is great fun.

I actually don't like Warren Ellis's Excalibur. Tried it, but couldn't get into it; too accustomed to the straight-ahead superhero stuff.

Excalibur from the beginning through #50'ish is my favorite run of any comic ever. As a kid in 1980's America, I had never been exposed to that very English sci-fi sensibility - Dr. Who, the Avengers, Red Dwarf, Monty Python - that mixes absurdist humor with British stuffiness. I recent re-read that run and was shocked that it held up as good as it did when I was like, eight. Better, actually, because I get a lot of the weird humor even more now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I read Uncanny and associated books pretty much nonstop from 1980 until the Chuck Austen stuff, when I just had to bow out. I recently checked back in with these relaunches and the entire concept of having young and old versions of the same characters existing at the same time is just the actual dumbest thing I've ever seen done with a fictional franchise. It's so terrible and it doesn't work on so many levels. I feel like I'm reading someone's awful fanfic. Is this something that's scheduled to go back to normal any time soon?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm curious who is clamoring for more original x-men stuff. the nicest thing i can say about them is that not every book they were in was terrible.

I was a hardcore X-fan from 1983 until the late 00's - I stuck through a bunch of garbage before finally jumping ship entirely in the San Francisco era. The idea of the Original 5 moved forward to the present era and co-existing alongside future versions of themselves is so dumb and embarrassing that it's kept me from even considering coming back. That's fanfic-level plotting.

• Locked thread