Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

Then he really isn't gonna like how Logan continued on with X-Force even after Scott disbanded it and even associated his face with it by inviting an alternate reality version of himself to join. Plus messing up Angel's persona and then Beast's messing with the time stream.

Kurt will just act like every other character and forget that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You all are missing the big picture.

Finally we will have some resolution to who gets Charles antique wheelchair collection.

Well five parts into the arc.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Grant Morrison apparently has a rather black and white view of Magneto so it shouldn't be suprising his take on the character is kind of poo poo.

Plus the way Jean died was kind of lame considering.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Claremont did not have that kind of influence at that point.

Outside of books he was writing of course.

Hell I don't think he ever has had that kind of influence.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

I would do my level best to laugh anyone claiming that out of the room.

Fuckin CORPORATIONS, man :argh:

Yeah but that is still true.

I mean Marvel is a corporation, or was at least.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

He hasn't, but he's said he's gonna.

So... no.

What is his obsession with doing that?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Bookwise it will no doubt be X-23 or someone like that taking over Wolverine spot for a while. Though I'd be alright without someone new running around in a Wolverine costume with fake claws.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wolverine and the X-Men becomes Nightcrawler and the X-Men or just gets renamed to something similar.

Wait why does someone need to take over for him? He isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

Where at least the other characters have some sort of rationale for needing replaced.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Decius posted:

A teenage girl having a crush on a grown man is indeed pretty much normal, and I don't see anything creepy by it, as long as Scott doesn't do anything besides what he did in the book. I liked the scene with Scott shooting it down immediately as it closes that tedious chapter (Scott & Jean) once and for all I hope, so I don't have any problem with that. I didn't like Kitty feeling the need to issue any threats though. Seems unnecessary and actually diminishes the scene before.

Do you mean between old Scott and young jean?

Because if you mean overall (or even Bendis's run) I have some very bad news for you.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Of course Young Jean wasn't actually there to witness stuff like Scott forming a secret group of killers or trying to control the Phoenix Force, which ended up kind of backfiring.
If she hasn't heard about it as this point then what the gently caress is she doing all day?

Besides the second isn't really that big a deal especially considering the circumstances.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There ain't nothing creepy about a younger version of a dead girl coming back that everyone (everyone) wants to gently caress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I am pretty sure the whole reason he used the time poo poo in the first place is so he could have an easy way to put all his toys back in the box at the end.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He has that, its the X-men thread.

If you want to talk about the other X-books you can but he is kind of a big part of it for the foreseeable future.

Cutting it in half would just kill the thread.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Because Loki is a villain.

He is an anti-hero. :colbert:

(:ssh: there is no difference :ssh:)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

It's a homage to a classic cover. It is nothing new and people do it all the time.

Its still really dumb, I don't know why other people doing it makes it any less dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

So, why was Rachael Grey always drawn to look like a stereotypical lesbian in the 80s and 90s?

She came from a dystopian future.

A way to show dystopian is to have the women all look really butch.

Lesbians are stereotyped as all being butch.

There ya go.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Marvel really needs to get off their butts and make some Excalibur and New Mutants omnibuses.

At the rate they are going, all of New Mutants will be collected in Omnibuses with other series.

X-factor Vol. 1 too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That was X-Factor, and also :frogout: Strong Guy rules.

He has a pretty terrible name.

Like if you called Cyclops, laserface, or Wolverine Clawy McHealy.

You know what? Wolverine should be called Clawy McHealy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I know its a joke, doesn't change poo poo, still his name.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Great. Dazzler goes Penance.

She looks more like a clown then emo, IMO.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I was 100% behind Wolverine's justification of leaving and restarting to the school up. It seems in character that Wolverine would want the kids to have a chance of a normal (for what its worth) life, rather than being soldiers in Scotts mutant army.

I thought it was silly because the world they live in really didn't match that, and wolverine is the last character who should be the delusional idealist.

Though why they both didn't want to the school to just be Xavier's mix of the two is beyond me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Wolverine has always been the "don't kill, don't live your life by violence, because I know how it hurts your soul" kind of moralizer in the Xmen. It makes perfect sense that he'd be against militarizing the school.

Eh, he has never had an issue with the X-men fighting, killing sure, but that was always a distinct thing. Like I said, Logan was never a fan of making other people killers, but he was never this delusional idealist. In fact he was way, way more cynical.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 22, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Unmature posted:

It's not fighting he's against, it's indoctrinating children to be warriors.
I know, and that is loving dumb. You can't have one without the other. You shouldn't just do one (Scott's plan is also loving dumb) but people already give him poo poo so meh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Unmature posted:

What does that mean? People don't join the navy at 10.

That has nothing to do with what he said?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

Heroes fighting heroes goes back a hell of a lot longer than 10 years and it is one of the better classic tropes, because fighting moustache twirling villains gets real old real quick, the problem with Civil war and Schism though is that many writers have a lot of difficulty allowing moral ambiguity where both sides have a point to persist in their funny books and we get stupid poo poo like fascist Tony Stark demanding teenagers be drafted into a paramilitary units and Scott Summers saying he no longer believes in Xavier's dream of coexistence.

Heroes Vs heroes as some constant thing is basically ten years old. The old way almost always involved a wacky misunderstanding of some sort. Which usually was resolved in that issue.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I know I'm generalizing, and I can't really blame people for being dismayed with Bendis, but sometimes I get the feeling that the only thing that could please some of you guys is if every comic reverted back to being perpetually stuck in the silver age.
That is basically what he is doing.

Except it is also obvious he is going to undo it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

That didn't make it any less constant, they'd just end up in another wacky misunderstanding next issue, the difficulty then as now is coming up with a compelling reason for the heroes to throw down.

That makes it much less constant, and is a fundamentally different thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

A lot of people genuinely do like, respect, and identify with squares, dorks, dweebs, stuffed shirts, and the like. Even people who are otherwise hip (not me obviously). Of course it depends on a good writer to write said characters with nuance and flair, but still.

Plus Wolverine is the loner "I don't have to do what you say dad!" type in those so it wouldn't work if they are both like that.

Someone has to be the leader.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

Being good at tactics isn't a personality trait, any iteration of the character can be good at tactics, I'm talking about the 90s cartoon/movie version of Cyclops most of the public is familiar with, neither of which are particularly competent at anything other than complaining that Wolverine is a loose cannon.

The problem wasn't he was too square, its that the cartoon was terribly written and everyone was incompetent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Archyduke posted:

I almost always really like Bendis' enthusiasm in interviews, I never really read any of it as taunting or malicious. If there's anything "childish" about it, it's often a child-like glee in being able to tell stories about characters he grew up with, which I don't know, I can happily indulge him in. Whatever else he is, he's a talented hype man, and that entails being kind of bombastic and hyperbolic and a little provocative. I rarely think he crosses the line into the sort of meanness or pettiness I often see attributed to him (for example, as far as I know him and Hickman are pals-- I doubt the latter really nurses a serious grudge about Xavier dying). That being said, I think he's sort of kidding himself about the Dark Beast reveal. That was truly, truly a damp squib of a plot resolution.

The part he quoted was pretty childish, though I don't think anyone is taking issue with the Hickman part.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Unmature posted:

Also not cowering to racist readers which many writers have done. How many times has a character been made black or had a black person replace them only to backpedal later because of the reader response? Bendis don't care. He'll make anyone he wants black.

None that I can think of.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I mean Bendis is pretty good about equal rights and progressive thinking for a superhero writer and all, but aside from Luke Cage what has he really done to bring minority representation to the fore?

Miles counts technically I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Oh of course! Yeah Miles totally counts, and the wailing and gnashing of teeth was pretty sweet.

Yeah I just wasn't sure if you were just basing it off the 616 or whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume that Axis is going to be him going full scale into evil. I also assume that it might be the end of the schism and maybe Uncanny Avengers.

I will be interested in how exactly they are going to end the schism. Because for the most part nothing really happened during it. Relating to the schism itself, I mean.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Even to Jean if going by Morrison's run.

Poor guy can't catch a break.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Wolverine shows remorse. That's the difference.

Yeah for some reason if you feel bad about what you do, but don't actaully do anything about it, you get a pass.

Its the wierdest thing. Like mentioned above you can do whatever you want as long as you bitch about it after/during.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I hear X-Treme X-Men is pretty tight.

Eh if you want real X-men there is this little known writer chuck austin.....

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

They do do all that. Even heard a radio ad talking about All New X-Factor and Moon Knight. Comics just aren't the boyhood staple they used to be.

Not in any meaningful fashion. Advertising and online is definitely barely focused on. Especially if the radio is what they are using as their advertising tool. DC had a couple commercials around the relaunch, but that stopped pretty quickly.

Though apparently marvel is doing something towards getting comics back into convenience stores, so that might change.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah that's Wolverine taking responsibility for Fantomex, they didn't know Apocolypse was reborn as a kid when the mission started and it stopped everybody cold when they found out. So noted child killer Wolverine both didn't actually kill or even plan to kill a child.

They all agreed it was necessary and wolves did too.

You are just doing gymnastics so your wolves can remain pure.

Which is dumb as Wolves whole thing is he is a bad guy who tries to do the right thing but fails.

Its annoying granted but whatever its like trying to hold back the tides.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 3, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

Hasn't bendis done all of these except for number 2 and 4? Which means we're due for the X-Men fighting galactu and Hank Pym comes out of nowhere and solves it in one panel.

If you are counting non X men books then he has done 4 too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh God Spiderman is going to replace Wolverine when he dies?

He will be in every book to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rick posted:

Honestly Jean Grey's questionable hiring practices might mean that it's the only place Peter Parker can get a job.

He has his own corporation now.

Only Peter Parker would hire Peter Parker.

• Locked thread