Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

I'm really torn on Doop. I like the art and the writing was fine up until the last part. But that last part just seems unforgivable to me. Doop speaks some actual words

I have no loving idea what's happening but I'm completely on board. That last page...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I am kind of bummed that I know Xorn is going to be a bad guy, because he's actually pretty cool currently in the story.

Don't know how much you know about the twist, but when it happens, go back and read the part where Xorn is trying to "save" Quentin. It's bloody chilling.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

So Xorn never existed, and was Magneto the whole time, but he was being controlled by Sublime? Yikes.

E the Shaggy posted:

Don't try to find logic in it, your head will explode (you haven't even gotten to how the Scarlet Witch was somehow involved in it).

I pretty much try to view Morrison's run in a self-contained bubble and don't try to apply the ret-ret-retcons that happened afterwards. It's pretty funny how everyone loved Xorn and what a great teacher and inspiration he was to all these kids, if only Mags would just drop the angry old militant mutant act.

sidenote: Didn't Claremont or Austen come up with the twin Xorns or something afterwards, before Bendis tried to clean it up?

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 12, 2014

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Here Comes Tomorrow's main problem is we didn't get enough time to care about the future X-Men before they got systematically wiped out. There were some cool moments though, like finding out the Cuckoos were part of the Weapon Plus program, Fantomex essentially becoming batshit insane without EVA's grounding humanity, and Ernst/Nova's complete rehabilitation and her friendship with Martha Johansson :3:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spiderdrake posted:

I've never read that Excalibur run since I have a crippling allergy to later day Claremont. What happened in Excalibur exactly?

Magneto bonding with Xavier over the actions of fake Magneto, basically reinforcing that no he is not a genocidal maniac. Also it took place in decimated Genosha and had sexy tentacle armed Callisto.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Check out the stuff that's titled Decimation for consequences type stuff. Though the only memorable stuff I remember out of that was the Quicksilver fallout in Son of M (And the excellent follow-up, Silent War). (I guess Deadly Genesis was pretty important in setting off the Professor X is an rear end in a top hat trend that dominated the X titles for quite a while)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spiderdrake posted:

I was enjoying it before that and then Doug showed up acknowledging the earlier run he was in and I wanted to high five Peter David. I feel like there have been so many good recent X-books that aren't the up front big deal books that whenever people say 'hey I read that' it makes me really happy.

What were the must-read X titles in the past 5 years or so? Uncanny X-Force, New Mutants, Legacy, that Gambit solo title, Gillen's Uncanny run?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

I have a HUGE problem with how they portray Cyclops's power in the issue that came out today. He uses it to propel himself around in space, which means it's pushing back on him when he's using it, which means he's basically headbutting everything he hits with his eye beams! Ahhh!!

Starring Sandra Bullock as Cyclops

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

:stare:

The story where Azazel comes to to Earth to impregnate women so they can make babies so he can come to Earth?

Such an odd example to use. If anything, the one interesting thing Austen did was to give Juggs a redemption arc.

Nurse Annie + Havoc 4eva

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

You're a monster.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So Bendis just did a reveal with no build-up at all? God I'm glad I stopped reading his X-books.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I've heard really good things about that Gambit run, and it's referenced in All New X-Factor also, which is so far completely stand-alone. I was a bit iffy on it until it picked up the full team and I'm enjoying it quite a bit now.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ugh, I think I'm better off ignoring comic writers' twitter feeds and interviews from now on. As a whole they just seem weirdly more petty and childish than writers in other forms of media.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sentinel Red posted:

Hmmm, I don't know if the X-Statix return tease leaves me appalled or thrilled.

CONFLICTED!

What, where did this happen?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

HorseRenoir posted:

I used to really like Bianchi's pencils; my only issue is that the colorists he would use would always cover the art in this awful, dark airbrushing technique. Nowadays, I think his art has gotten even worse (especially for his issues of New Avengers).

I think he nails the weird, otherwordly aspect which is why I liked him in NA. But pretty much drawing normal characters having a conversation isn't really his forte.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

Actually him doing Silent War was awesome and he wasn't responsible for M Day, he was responsible for House of M and that wasn't dumb he was trying to save his sister who's the only person he's ever really cared about other than himself. Silent War was him trying to fix his mistake in a way that went terribly wrong.

I'm not sure Silent War is ever acknowledged as actually happening, is it? Like it ended on a huge cliffhanger and was never resolved.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shawn posted:

X-men:The End by Claremont.

We do not speak of such things

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Man, I like Peter David's downtime issues more than any other writer, I think. He's got a great handle on the soapy aspects of the shared marvel universe.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm gonna be sad when they take Quicksilver away from him to put on Avengers. He's so drat good with that character.

Same with Gambit. No X-Editorial better take him away from X-Factor.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Well they had the whole thing with the Phoenix shards being locked in their diamond hearts or something, so a while.

I hate that that awful mini still keeps being referenced indirectly to this day.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Diet Poison posted:

I feel like scattering the major X-characters around the world is something they should try (again?) Right now we've got a few living in Serval's HQ, a few living in Cable's Top Secret Base, a smattering of unaccounted-for, a couple who are Avengers-and-not-Xmen-at-all, then a slightly bigger chunk hanging out in the Canadian Rockies, and it seems like over 50% of the named mutant population living at the school in Westchester. They oughta graduate every "kid" mutant up to and including the Gen Hope crew (Aaron's WatX tried to do this but it seems like nobody else paid attention and I still see Anole in the background all the time), keep Cyke's new kids and all the other recently added student body at the JGS, and divide the grads (and half the teachers) into X-squads based in various cities. Not every group needs a book (they could do a revolving one with one-and-two-offs if they really wanted) and then the X-world would feel so much less crowded.

But I feel like they tried this before (wasn't X-Corp a thing? Did they have a book?) and it mustn't have worked out. But still, the amount of adults alone living at the JGS has gotta take up half the school. Those poor kids are probably sleeping in underground bunkers 'cause oh poo poo, Psylocke lives here now for some reason, and she's taking your dorm room.

Yeah, Morrison played with the X-Corp idea for a while but it was mostly ignored afterwards and then decimation happened. It wasn't a fully fleshed out idea at the time though but it was cool for a bit to see different teams working out mutant problems around the world.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

So has it been mentioned in here yet that All-New X-Factor is getting cancelled? So that leaves... what, only two team X-books that aren't Bendis meanderings?

Also, sounds like Peter David is pretty pissed about it, but from a sales standpoint. http://www.peterdavid.net/2014/10/01/x-factor/

Noooooooo it was just getting good

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Kaleidoscope posted:

If you honestly think that All-New X-Factor took fourteen issues to get good then you obviously haven't been reading X-Factor, especially in relation to just about every other ongoing X-Men related book.

It was a slow burn at least until they got the full team together. I initially wrote it off for a bit just because of the roster change from the previous run and the first arc didn't grab me.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rick posted:

I thought X-Treme at least started out positively, it just went off the rails really really fast (when Lifeguard shows up, basically). It seemed like Claremont had a plan to finally close some of those 15 year old C plot threads but lost it in the process of writing.

The first story arc wasn't bad at all, and thematically setting the team apart from New X-Men's mission statement was a nice little touch. But then it segued into that awful alien invasion storyline and it just kept getting worse from there.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

They introduced Lifeguard and her brother and it all went to hell. It got away from the diary plot and became unreadable.

Did we ever find out what the diaries were predicting anyway? I vaguely remember Mike Carey retconning it away to refer to the birth of Hope in Messiah Complex, or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The Science Club was during Fraction's run, wasn't it? I really enjoyed some of those issues.

At the very least, during the Carey/Brubaker/Fraction/Gillen era where they were playing hopscotch from event to event, it at least had a forward sense of momentum and direction. I dropped Bendis after giving him about 6 issues in both All New and Uncanny, but have been lurking this thread and it all seems so aimless.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah that's a better way of describing it. Spurrier comes on a book, changes poo poo up a lot and has his set ideas which will play off massively as the book progresses but people aren't feeling the changes or it's not what they expect and they drop it. Then as the second arc progresses it becomes apparent that the changes are for a very specific reason and he's building to something great rather than just changing poo poo for no reason.

Hickman does the same but people give him the benefit which they should for Spurrier.

Sounds like Spencer's ultimate work, except it never came together in a cohesive manner.

I've really got to pick up Legacy and X-Force one of these days haha.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

I firmly believe that when Secret Wars* is over, and the multi verse is fixed, Earth 616 will go back to normal. Except all the mutants end up on their own separate universe, for reasons. Also the Fantastic 4 will be there too. Just so Marvel can keep the Fox Movie properties separate to allow Marvel to focus on their 100% owned IP's.

*= Can I just say that Secret Wars is a dumb name for a Marvel event story. We had the 1984 Secret Wars and Bendis did his mini series Secret War in the 2000's.
I would have preferred it if they gave it a distinct name. Even something different like Secret Wars IV: A New Hope or Secret Wars: Battleworld.

When you're essentially breathing new life back into previous event properties that Marvel has had in the past decade, it seems more than appropriate to use the same name that inspired it in the first place. Comic runs are restarted all the time with the same naming scheme, and this is going to be a soft-restart of the marvel u.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Nova has one of the strangest and coolest character arcs in the series :D

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Is the Black Vortex stuff as dumb as it sounds?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

Nah I know it can be handled horribly. It can go tone deaf, all the interactions with Future Bobby could be horrible as well as Future Bobby explaining why he hid or supressed things, this could just confirm the past X-Men are just alternate universe versions of the characters and not really the past versions so it doesn't "really matter". Future Bobby could legit be straight and "turned" at some point which is the worst possible outcome. There's a million different ways things could go wrong but I'd like to think it won't. All depends on what post Secret Wars X-Men turns out to be but I've seen a lot of positive reaction on gay sites and tumblr and that from gay teens so I'm going with the positives for now.

He did. And this is projecting on Bendis but there are gay characters in X-Men, he's created new gay characters himself throughout the years. Changing an established household name character like Bobby means there is a well known X character that won't disappear that is gay. There's a reason it's one of the original five and not a different X-character

You know, I do get it. It's a nice idea to put a little more LGBTQ representation into any franchise. The whole way he's doing it just really awful. Like others have mentioned the double minority suppression thing just hits a little too close to gay conversion therapy here, and the implication that it actually did work on present Iceman (again, telepaths have been in present Iceman's head a couple of times) is a really disturbing idea because, frankly, it does not loving work in real life.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

Nobody has said that current Bobby isn't into dudes yet, it's still a to be seen thing!

I would love for Marvel to follow DC's lead and give a gay character an ongoing and put Aguire-Sarcasa on it (though even with Looking cancelled I think he's way too busy with Archie), team him up with someone like Kris Anka on interiors and Kevin Wada on covers and go crazy with it.

Man, Aguirre-Sacasa has a way more varied output than I thought, I had no idea he was involved with Archie and Looking was a drat good show.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

I just think it's silly to not allow a writer to use a character if they have a good pitch for them or want to take them from limbo/death. Like Grant Morrison wanted to use Colossus, which probably would have been great, but couldn't because he was dead.

Would Emma Frost have gotten into his cast if he had Colossus? Cause Emma and Cyke was the best (and possibly only) thing to come out of that run unscathed by retcons, well until Bendis got his hands on them.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Grant Morrison's New X-Men run was the last great mainline X-Men run (Gillen's was the last above average mainline X-Men run).

Remender's Uncanny X-Force run is great as well, just a bit towards the outside edge of the X-Men universe.

Everyone forgets Carey's short lived X-Men run :( (Before it turned into crossovers and Legacy at least)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Cable and Deadpool back together again? Be still my heart!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Die Laughing posted:

Whatever happened to X-Corp? That doesn't get mentioned when people talk about Marvel cocking up Morrison's New X-Men.

Blew up after M-day. Literally.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Wanderer posted:

Whedon's run was just Good Comics and did a lot to set up Cyclops and Emma in particular, going forward.

I'd probably be more kindly disposed to it if it hadn't taken a geologic epoch to conclude, of course. Did anyone ever come forward and establish why that book shipped twice a year?

Cassaday?

And yeah, I enjoyed it a lot more in trades. That glacial shipping schedule killed any momentum it had.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

Self-hatred and convincing she was a monster from... some event, I don't completely remember which.

And a lot of Catholic guilt

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

X-Factor's epilogues were actually quite nice. It was that godawful hell on earth final arc that made you go, really? This is your big finale? And of course Wolfsbane and her furry miracle child had to be central to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

E for Extinction is beautifully insane and I love every frame of it

• Locked thread