Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inkspot posted:

He was the artist for Dynamo 5. Fun book.

I re-read that recently. It's a shame it never got an ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Moira McTaggart still dead? Has Banshee come back yet?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do you mean the Chris Claremont one or the Greg Pak one?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's been a good while since I read it, but I think "Riot at Xavier's" might have been the high point of Morrison's run. That's not to say any of what comes after it isn't good, because on the whole it is, but "Riot" was where a lot of his ideas were most fully realised (e.g. the increasing profile of mutants as a unique subculture).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kaleidoscope posted:

Eh, Fear Itself wasn't hyped as the death of Thor & Bucky was it? I bet this will last at least as long as Cap's death did (or until the next Fox movie, whichever comes first). The bigger question is who's gonna be surrogate Wolverine?

Frank Castle.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, Hugh Jackman was saying he feels like he could be replaced in the role if he decides he wants to move on recently.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't there one bit in early X-Men (it was when Cockrum was still pencilling; I believe it was the first appearance of Black Tom) where the villain's like, "This castle will be the X-Men's tomb!" and the mention of the word "tomb" causes Storm to have a full-on panic attack? I'm pretty sure I can remember reading that.

Is Storm's claustrophobia still a major part of her character?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They were married and had a kid in Age of Apocalypse. I think Rogue was also involved with Magneto's clone, Joseph, who they thought was the real Magneto.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

You know you have a special franchise when one of the healthiest relationships in it, for years, was between Kurt and his adopted sister Amanda.

"Ohboy!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a sort of real world "what if" scenario. Imagine if Claremont (for whatever reason) had decided he wanted to stop writing the series at some point in the 1980s; what would have been the ideal point for him to go, who would have been the ideal replacement writer; and what would have been the ideal next move for Claremont (i.e. he's given another Marvel book or he goes to DC)?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question is, would he have abandoned X-Men for Superman?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If we take "just before Mutant Massacre" as the hypothetical Claremont exit date, that would probably put it in middle of 1986, which coincided with Byrne leaving FF. Assuming that Claremont took over FF, it would have been interesting if he'd gotten Alan Davis to draw it (he'd been trying to get Davis onto the X-books for a while at that point) and they'd taken the team on all these cross-dimensional Excalibur-style adventures. That might have been pretty cool. He probably would've put Kitty Pryde in the Baxter Building as Franklin's live-in nanny, of course, which was something he'd been planning to do when he wrote FF in the late 1990s.

I'm not sure what Byrne would've done with X-Men if he had it all to himself; if his run on WCA is any indication he probably would've hung around for about a year "fixing" all the characters he thought Claremont broke after he left, then headed off to work for DC on Superman, at which point he would have been replaced on X-Men by somebody like Roger Stern (who would've just quit Avengers) or the Simonsons.

It might have had implications for Silvestri and possibly Lee, since I imagine Byrne wouldn't want to share pencilling duties if he could help it.

I wonder what would've become of the spin-offs in this scenario; Claremont wrote New Mutants until 1987, then started Excalibur and Wolverine's solo series a year later. Excalibur was pretty much his pet project, so that would be out. I guess Louise Simonson would still take over New Mutants and Peter David or somebody might get Wolverine.

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ponsonby Britt posted:

All I know is, there's probably a 75% chance that Spider-Man would get cancelled.

I'm afraid I'm not following you on that count. Why would that have happened?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes she is still hopping dimension to dimension.

The same fate which befell Scott Bakula and the cast of Sliders.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Saoshyant posted:

I'd put a vote in for the original Excalibur. Kurt ends up becoming the de facto leader and he has a bunch of character development throughout the series.

It's where the swashbuckler component of his chracter is either introduced or at least developed a lot.

He also became Errol Flynn:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

That also happened in Uncanny X-men 94-mutant massacre. He was a huge swashbuckler and he used to use his image inducer to look like Errol Flynn.

Right. I've only read from 94 through to the end of the second omnibus and I haven't read "Mutant Massacre" in a while, so I couldn't remmeber where or when it started being a big part of his character.

Shockeh posted:

There should be a standard rule that no Marvel comic ever should feature a character in tentacles. The connotations are just cringeworthy.

Claremont did that once, in X-Treme X-Men, but it was overshadowed by the villain's henchmen all wearing gimp suits and basically having BDSM as their mutant powers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Captain Britain is one of my favourite tertiary X-Men characters, partly because I love the Alan Moore stories, and partly because I often imagine him as the superhero version of Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

laertes22 posted:

Excalibur in general was amazing. Remember the one where they were in the timeline where the Nazis won WWII, and the members of Excalibur were all Nazis, and Kitty Pryde was...oh wait.

I like the one where they find a world which is completely controlled by two guys sitting at computers constantly trying to write stories that top the other's; one of them is Claremont and the other is Byrne and they're both surrounded by all their favourite fetish characters.

Apparently a commentary on how Claremont had done the previous year's big crossover event (Inferno) while Byrne had done that year's event (Acts of Vengeance).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

In this issue: Galactus destroys an alternate Earth because he decides it is too silly to be allowed to exist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

Sort of. The book was a mix of X-Men-style stories with a heavy dose of Marvel UK's Captain Britain, which is where the multiverse elements came from.

Claremont created Captain Britain, but the stories Davis did Alan Moore and Jamie Delano after he stopped writing him are apparently his favourite things ever and he went out of his way to integrate a lot of that into the mainstream Marvel continuity (since I think it was clear at the time whether Marvel UK material was "official" or not).

According to this article (Ctrl+F "Alan Moore"), "Mutant Massacre" and "Fall of the Mutants" were going to use bits of Moore and Davis's "Jaspers' Warp" storyline, and I've read elsewhere that it was going to be a big crossover (with the effects of Jaspers' reality warp showing up in other Marvel titles) and Marvel's answer to COIE.

This is why Jaspers appears at Magneto's trial in UXM #200 (despite having been killed at the end of Moore's run), then just sort of disappears after that.

CharlestheHammer posted:

At the rate they are going, all of New Mutants will be collected in Omnibuses with other series.

X-factor Vol. 1 too.

I think a fair amount of that is pretty well-collected thanks to the crossover collections, though it goes without saying there's quite a few gaps.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Alan Davis will be my favorite artist until the end of time. He has an artistic skill that few artists have ever come close to grasping. I've never seen anyone utilize negative space the way he has. And his ability to draw larger than life, believable heroes is unmatched.

The first Avengers comics I ever read were the Busiek/Davis issues where Diablo turns the population of a Greek village into Hulks. I have since read many great Avengers stories by many great artists, but there's still few to equal that one.

I also like that he draws happy characters who smile a lot:

He's one of the very few artists who can draw a good smiling Batman:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've read The Nail (Evil Jimmy Olsen as the Eradicator! Amish Superman! Splash pages galore! Flash vibrates AMAZO's brain out his head! Full-on Silver Age stuff; it's great) but I've not read Superboy's Legion.

I liked ClanDestine a lot. I must check out the crossover annuals that came out a couple of years ago.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Incidentally, the New Mutants Classic trades are what I'm currently reading; I've just got to the Sienkiewicz issues, which are really cool (I liked the Demon Bear Saga; a bit weird that it's only about four issues given its reputation, but then again, Dark Phoenix was only six and DOFP was only two).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

You know, Fatal Attractions sucks balls but the X-Force issue was actually pretty good. There's this touching (for a 90's comic) scene where Cable and Cannonball come to terms with all of the lies Cable fed them over the past two years and it ends with the team unified in a new way. Sadly this only lasted until AoA but I'll always love that brief run of comics.

I used to have a copy of that issue signed by Greg Capullo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

Yeah once the fights start I almost completely ignore the dialogue. I KNOW you have optic beams, Cyclops. I can SEE you USING them RIGHT NOW.

"Good thing ah'm invulnerable when ah'm blastin'!"

I've been reading New Mutants lately, in case you couldn't tell.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PaybackJack posted:

The Doug Ramsey stuff was only bad because every fight there was a panel of him cowering behind something going "I wish my powers worked in combat!". It was all built up to Fall of the Mutants but it didn't make it any less annoying and dumb because it wasn't there weren't half a dozen X-Men who, while having a combat power, were still perfectly capable hand to hand fighters, christ look at Storm around that time. There was an entire arc where she runs around Japan beating people up without her powers.

Yeah, the New Mutants Classic trades were my most recent binge-read and that was pretty pronounced (some other observations: the Secret Wars II tie-in was dark as hell, and the New Mutants' "graduation costumes" are pretty bad, except Magma's). Claremont could've gone in for the "understands any language -> reads body language -> invincible martial artist" angle a full decade and a half before Kelley Puckett did the same with Cassandra Cain, but I guess it never occurred to him.

Anyway, I'm actually reading "Mutant Massacre" at the minute. Sure, DC had Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns, but this is pretty much where the Dark Age begins for Marvel, isn't it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduke posted:

Also Alan Davis drew him, which goes a long way for me. When I think of him I always think of that expression Davis gives him when he and Psylocke turn up in that closet, which I think is an all-time great Davis panel.

This one?

I love the third New Mutants annual as well, which was another Claremont/Davis collaboration; it's the one where the Impossible Man challenges Warlock to a shape-changing contest and the ending is basically Magneto going "ROBOT HOUSE!?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spiderdrake posted:

What's the context there?

Psylocke had been captured by Spiral and Mojo and transformed into a kind of female cyborg version of Mojo and traps the New Mutants and Captain Britain in another dimension (I think it's meant to be inside her mind or something; I'm not sure). Cypher merges with Warlock and rescues her, then she beats Spiral and they all warp back to the real world, leading into those panels.

It's more complicated than that but that's the general gist of it. I'm not really sure how to explain it.

This is the story where Psylocke is outfitted with video camera eyes so she can broadcast the X-Men's adventures directly into Mojoworld.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Codependent Poster posted:

Guess which company had a lot of editorial interference?

The one which is alleged to have ordered him to write a scene in which Wonder Dog transforms into a big toothy monster, consumes Marvin and cripples Wendy?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bendis has done an interview explaining how the X-Men franchise is about to be changed forever etc etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduke posted:

That's essentially how I feel. In 20 years, I think people will look back at Bendis' time at Marvel and think of opening up the basic Avengers concept, revitalizing a bunch of neglected characters, and orchestrating that long metaplot from Disassembled to Siege. His worst moments are basically just fumbles-- the last couple years of his Avengers, some of his pacing on X-Men, Age of Ultron, etc. It's just forgettable. Overall, he's opened up a lot more storytelling avenues for other writers than he's closed off, and I think that's nothing to scoff at.

I wonder how Johns will be remembered by comparison?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Scott doesn't even have to marry Jean again, they never got divorced.

And you know he never filed the proper papers.

I like how in the cartoon, the season two finale has them getting married, except they weren't really married, because they were actually married by Morph in disguise as a clergyman, as part of Mr Sinister's master plan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

Does she say "you have sown the wind...now reap the whirlwind"?

Only when written by Simon Furman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SirDan3k posted:

I imagine Xavier walks around calling every mutant he meets "possibly the most powerful mutant I've ever known!"

It's kind of weird looking back at the really early Lee/Kirby stuff where their deadliest enemies were guys like the Vanisher and the Blob, and they were the ones that'd get Xavier going, "Cerebro has detected a new mutant who could be the deadliest threat the world has ever known!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of the really early stuff, one "What If?" that I think would be pretty cool is "What if Professor X sent his first class of X-Men to join the Avengers?" I recently read through "Mutant Massacre", "Fall of the Mutants" and the original New Mutants up to that point, and one thing that struck me was, "Would the X-Men and mutants be looked upon more charitably if they'd been in an actual superhero team early on in their career, instead of Xavier basically sequestering them from the superhuman community at large?"

I mean, it worked for Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, and they were once in a team that had "evil" in its name.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Stories about the Phoenix peaked in Excalibur #50, anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lokipunk posted:

Ok guys, making an honest effort to start reading xbooks. I started into adjectiveless X-Men (all girl team) and really liked it. Also thought Battle of the Atom was good despite that seeming to be a generally disliked book (I don't have much to compare it to though). Have been listening to Rachel and Miles X-plain the X-men and picked up the Magik miniseries on their review making the character sound awesome. So I have totally found a character I want to read more involving. I tried searching on Unlimited by character but that just seems to be their appearances and not really their runs. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for specifics in the megathread.

After the miniseries, Magik is a main character in the New Mutants; I think she joins the team between #10 and #20 (for all that narrows it down) but can't remember the specific issue. She's with the team for about 60 straight issues then she's phased out just before (?) Liefeld came aboard.

redbackground posted:

This man knows what's up.

I'd say Excalibur #50 is one of my favourite single issues of an X-book ever; I might like New Mutants Annual #3 slightly more, but not by very much.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 19, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I completely forgot about the subsequent story where Rachel reconciles herself with the Phoenix Force, fights Galactus in deep space, then goes back to Earth in the Dark Phoenix costume because it's much cooler-looking than the green one. That was pretty good as well, though I guess it was more of a subplot to the story about R.C.X. and the Warpies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If she had an accent, you can rest assured that Claremont would've gone out of his way to make sure we knew about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first half-dozen or so Claremont issues made it seem like he was trying to set up Storm and Colossus, but more or less decided against it after #100.

I believe there's one scene where Storm gets taken down by a Sentinel, and Colossus flips out and trashes it while Nightcrawler thinks, "Colossus fights for the woman he loves!" or something.

• Locked thread