Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Um, X-Men Legacy #300 was really good. Guess I should read the Mike Carey run, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Messiah Complex, Second Coming, Dark Phoenix Saga and Schism collections are on sale in Comixology. What are the good ones?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks, everyone! I'll just get everything (argh).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm asking here because it's an X-book, but how was the Amazing Friends issue in Amazing X-Men?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Bringing the topic back to X-Men...

Are the First Class comics good? There are quite a bunch of them... They're all-ages, right? I really wish Marvel kept making digest-sized stuff. More often than not, those are the comics I want to read, with little reliance on continuity and the worst excesses of mainline comics.

(I mean, Marvel Adventures Spider-Man had a really neat reinterpretation of Emma Frost which managed to eliminate the baggage associated with her, but that's another topic)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Holy poo poo, Comixology sale!

X-Men: Age of X
X-Men: Fatal Attractions - Book One
X-Men: Fatal Attractions - Book Two
X-Men: Inferno
X-Men: Mutant Massacre
X-Men: X-Cutioner's Song
X-Men: X-tinction Agenda
X-Necrosha

What are the good picks? I hear that Age of X is great and has some stuff about Legion (loved Legacy), but I'm not familiar with the 80s/90s collections. Necrosha is bad, right?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I got Age of X. I'd love to get Inferno and Mutant Massacre but they're $30 combined and I can't afford them right now.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What do people outside of BSS think of Bendis's X-Men? I got into All-New because of Comics Alliance but after BotA I've all but lost interest in it.

(Immonen's art is great, though)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My friend read Avengers vs X-Men. Against my advice, he read the What If? and regretted it.

Now we're arguing about Cyclops as a terrible person. (I'm for, he's against) Comics are pretty fun!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Reading all of Wolverine: First Class in one sitting did convince me that Wolverine is really great when he's mentoring kids. It's one of those ideas that shouldn't work on paper, but it does.

Also, this: http://comicsalliance.com/wolverine-x-men-mentor-sidekicks-kitty-pryde-jubilee-ask-chris-181/

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Remender's X-Force is pretty drat good writing and art.

I just read Marjorie Liu's X-23 run and I found it very good. It made me care about a character who was first described to me by a friend as an "emo-goth chick". Fun supporting cast, too.

Simon Spurrier's X-Men Legacy is very much self-contained and amazing.

I liked Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men run. The very fact that it lasted 40-ish issues in this age of relaunches and early cancellations was quite a feat, too.

Also check out Magneto's solo book, too. He's quite the stone-cold killer there.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Wolpertinger posted:

I'll check some of those out. I've noticed the short comic thing, too - A good number of the really good comics I've found and enjoyed are just quick 12 to, if they're lucky, 20ish before being ended or swapping authors. Cycling authors and stories around is good and all but I feel like they don't give enough time to a lot of them - an issue of a comic can fit in a whole lot less than even a 30 minute episode of television, and yet even single-season TV shows end up with more entire episodes than you have issues. It feels like you just start to know the characters and then suddenly it's already over.

I'm a fairly new comic reader myself (started this January), and my inference is that comic book readership has been on the decline since the 00s, so publishers can't afford to keep putting out a book that isn't selling very well. Some are perfectly fine comics that never got an audience due to low name recognition. Sucks but that's how things are nowadays. (I mean, X-Man ran for 75 issues back in the 90s!)

That, and modern comic book storytelling is more on "writing for the trade", that is, story arcs are intended to be collected and read in TPBs. Comics used to be a lot more compressed. (A classic example is Spider-Man's origin in Amazing Fantasy vs Ultimate Spider-Man, which told the same thing in 6 issues). Someone set me straight on this though.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

bobkatt013 posted:

They had an issue that explained that homework was the best part of the day

What issue was that? I really like the X-Men runs that were about mutant school (Morrison's New X-Men and Aaron's WATXM), not just mutant superheroes who happened to live in a school.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How can you tell if a person is mutant or inhuman, anyway?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Huat was easily my least favorite part of Spurrier's X-Men Legacy. He made Blindfold look like balding.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Reading Whedon's Astonishing run for the first time and issue 15's final page was magnificent.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah Spurrier is really good. My first exposure to him was a Warhammer 40k tie-in novel about a Space Gothic Armored Batman and it was surprisingly nice for the premise.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Speaking of X-Force stuff, whatever happened to Spiral? I only read the first few issues of Humphries's Uncanny X-Force.

(I swear I've asked the same question before in this thread, but my X-Men Children of the Atom nostalgia is kicking in the most inopportune moment)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Bendis's X-Men run ended up ultimately nowhere.

• Locked thread