Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Suben posted:

I still don't get why Jubilee, a Chinese-American, gave her kid a Japanese name.

Generally speaking you don't get to rename children you rescue. It's a good idea to let them keep their original name, so they have something of their biological parent(s) to hold on to.

Alternative comedic answer: She was a huge man of late 90's PC First person shooters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogo:_Mobile_Armor_Division

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Were they still calling them "first person action Doom-clones" at that point?

Actually, funny you should mention that.

I remember for a good portion of the 90's (we are talking about from 93 to either 96 or 98) computer game journalism would call all First Person Shooters, Doom clones. (That or "Doom, but with..." depending on what the games gimmick was. Like Hectic was "Doom, but with magic." and Dark Forces was "Doom, but with Star Wars.")

I think it was either the release of Quake (1996) or Half-Life (1998) which saw a recognition that FPS's were a genre of gaming and not just a endless series of games designed to ape ID software's most successful game.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Fishylungs posted:

Ok, Amazing X-men lives up to it's name. I haven't enjoyed a series this much since Hawkeye! Plus my boyfriend recently was interested in getting into comics, when I asked he said "I'd like to read X-men, especially Nightcrawler." and I picked it up on a whim after seeing it in the shop and he's really into it too. Are any of the other books as fun? How's X-Men?

The same writer who does Amazing X-Men (Jason Aaron) has a 46 or so odd issue run on Wolverine and the X-Men. That focuses more on the Jean Grey School and it's inhabitants. (It's basically like Hogwarts to Harry Potter.) I really like that run, particularly the early issues. If you want to track down the early issues you can or you can wait for the new series that's starting (with more of a focus on the new students, but it might be hard to get into if you don't know any of the new students like Genesis, Quentin Quire, Kid Gladiator.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

triplexpac posted:

God, at first I thought Mystique had removed Dazzler's eyes and was using them to better impersonate her or something :stare:

Honestly, when I read the issue I also thought they were going in that direction too. (To be fair, if one confines oneself to the art, it's likely that is what happened. Maybe editorial came in and had Bendis re-write the dialogue so as to imply a better fate for Alison.)

As for MGH, when it was introduced, the sole supply of it came from Spider-girl (in Alias) and later the Owl (in Daredevil.)
I think, though it's never been said, superhuman blood/DNA is a vital ingredient in MGH, but you can probably use it to make a lot of MGH as it only requires a small amount of that, and a lot of other chemicals.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Phoenix: Endsong is the last story to use the original Jean Grey, I believe, and it was penned by Land. The Pryor story you're thinking of was probably during Fraction's run on Uncanny, which was also under the foul scrawl of Land.

Hey hey hey. Greg Pakk was also involved in Phoenix: Endsong. And the sequel, Phoenix: Warsong, but that didn't have Jean Grey in it.

The last proper appearance of Jean Grey (apart from the time displaced one) was at the end of AvX. She shows up in a very "this redhead whose face you don't see but is totally Jean Grey gives the equivalent of Superman winking at the camera." moment at the resolution of the story.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

Yeah sorry, I should have been a lot more clearer on that. My curiosity isn't in regards to the reaction of Nightcrawler's return("Oh. Hey, Kurt, took ya long enough.") but to how he'll react to where/what Cyclops is now. I think you're right, Shaggy, I trust that out of everyone Kurt will understand that Cyclops, while probably aware of his actions, was unable to fight them and is truly sorry.

If anything you'd think everyone would be more sympathetic to Cyclops because this huge flaming demon bird that took the love of his life on multiple ocassions was forced into possessing him and making him kill his father figure. That thing is more his personal devil than Sinister ever was.

Me too, man... Me too.

While that is a fair interpretation of Kurt's character and how he is willing to turn the other cheek as part of his nature....

From memory, before his death Kurt was distinctly uncomfortable with the X-Men being on Utopia. He disagreed with the direction that Cyclops was bringing the mutant race and felt that they were losing his soul. I believe he even made himself clear that after they dealt with Bastion that he was going to leave.

If anything, the current actions of Cyclops could be proof that Nightcrawler was right. (Cue Quinton Quire wearing a "Kurt was Right" T-shirt.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

It's even worse. She replaces every word with words from her own language.

You mean she randomly put in British slang?

"My psycic knife is the focused totality of my bloody telepathic powers"

Man, that would be rough.

(Scene: Psylock in Beast's office.)

Hank: Betsy, I've run the tests and I've got some bad news.
You've come back positive for Dick Van Dyke Disease or D.V.D.D.

Psylock: Stone the crows! You mean I've got the disease where I randomly speak like a charactature of another nation?

Hank: I'm afraid so.

Psylock: Is there nothing you can do me old china?

Hank: That's the worst part. The only doctor in the world who can treat the disease is Dr. Mark Sloan. And because you have the British variant of D.V.D.D, he doesn't see any problem with it.

Psylock: Oh bollocks.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Laura & the X-Men > Albert & the X-Men > Warmachinerine & the X-Men > Deathlokerine & the X-Men > All New, All Different Reborn Mullet Wolverine & the X-Men

There you go, sorted.

Perfect. All we need is one character in each series saying that maybe this is the REAL Wolverine reborn.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gavok posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention how laughably terrible Origin II's ending is.

The series is about Wolverine being all savage in the wilderness. A group is hired to track him down, which includes Victor Creed and his scar-faced companion Clara, who is able to reason with Victor and keep him in check. Clara feels bad for Logan and catches feelings for him, which naturally makes Victor mad. The three of them end up on the run from Nathaniel Essex and his men, as Essex wants to experiment on Logan. Eventually, it's revealed that Clara is not Victor's girlfriend, but his sister. Victor secretly snitches on where they're hiding so that Essex can take Logan out of the equation. Instead, Logan kills a bunch of Essex's soldiers while accidentally stabbing Clara. Victor shows up and they decide to go gently caress up Essex out of revenge. Then Clara gets up once they're gone.

Logan claws up Essex and throws him out a window just after finding out that Victor snitched. Clara pops in to point out that she's alive and all the Creed children have healing factors. Logan snaps at Victor and drowns him in a vat of some potion Essex made that cancels out healing factors. Victor is dead and Clara bitches Logan out for being a monster.

Months later, Clara is confronted by someone she identifies as a complete sadist and tells him that Victor is dead. The man in question is a crazy-jacked and animal-like Sabretooth (compared to Victor, who was just a tall dude with fangs), who is all mad that Victor -- the victim of his annual birthday beatings -- died without his permission. Now he's going to transfer that tradition to the man who killed his little brother.

Yes, Origin II did the loving Landfill from Beerfest plot device. With a straight face!

Art was nice, at least.

Hey don't you be mocking Beerfest and the Landfill move. It's fantastic when done with a straight face*!

*= See Mobile Suit Gundam 00, where they open the second season with a full on Landfil, replacing one of the deceased characters with his never before mentioned twin brother.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah Dark Phoenix is one of those stone cold classics that everybody should just pick up and read. It's basically peak Claremont and Byrne and is really good.

Other than that Messiah Complex is the only one I'd fully recommend as I really like that era of X-Men and it manages to tell a cohesive action story while managing to stay true to the books that it's interrupting. Plus it kind of plays as a good version of the Greatest Hits of the X-Men.

Second Coming is a waste. It pretends to be a big event when in reality it's just them chickening out of committing on Hope being Phoenix. It's the start of the build up to AvX but you can tell they didn't really know where they were going with it.

I like Schism but it's got some dodgy art. Probably worth it if you want to catch up on current X-Men.

Does Second Coming have the scene in it where Gambit is kneeling by Rogue's beside while she's in a coma, crying for her to come back? And then the background disolves into a collage of all these classic moments of Gambit and Rogue as a couple from the 1990s?

Because if so, that moment is one of the best scenes of romance in any comic ever and is probably worth buying JUST for that if you have even the slightest of interests in the 1990's X-Men.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Die Laughing posted:

My memory is very hazy of AoA, but I have every issue, and don't really remember much being bad. Don't really remember much being great either. Amazing X-Men and Generation neXt kind of stand out as the better ones.

Astonishing X-Men has the art by Joe Maduria, back when he was really good. I'd definitely recommend that alongside Alpha and Omega.
X-Universe has the fantastic take on Donald Blake which has to be in the Badass moments thread.
I loved Generation neXt, Weapon X, X-Man, X-Calibre and the two X-Men series.

Edit: Looking at the AoA bundle on Comixology it also includes the Blink Mini series (bit of a odd choice) Some one-shots that were produced years after the series was over,and the AoA series set years later that involves the Phoenix, X-23 and Lady Deathstrike.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Benny the Snake posted:

You had me at Brian K Vaughan :allears:

What about McKeever? What's he done and is he a good writer?

EDIT: Oh Lord, I looked him up on Wikipedia. The guy was one of the Countdown to Final Crisis writers :stonk:

Ignore McKeever's DC work. The man wrote Marvel Megamorphs, one of the greatest (and most In-Cannon!) stories of all time.

For those of you wondering, it's the comic tie in related to a Toy Line, where Wolverine, Captain America, Spider-Man, Ghost Rider and the Hulk are given giant Transformer sized robots which are fuelled by their Super powers, so they can fight Doctor Octopus in his own Transformer sized robot.

It's gloriously insane. And Spidey makes a joke about it being a New Fantastic Four reunion.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gavok posted:

I'm kind of amazed at how bad the 100th Anniversary issue was. While the other ones haven't been amazing, I still think it's an amusing concept with promise and a few cool ideas. Even the X-Men issue had a great idea for what the writer thinks X-Men continuity would be like when comics are being written in the 2040's. Mutants are still hated, but not quite as badly, to the point that Scott Summers can get elected president. That's not bad. You can do a lot with this take, especially because it's a non-canon one-shot.

So what do they do? Make it into One More Day: X-Men Edition. One More Day was a bad comic that existed because what was canon no longer seemed workable to the guy in charge. It was an editorial decision based on real life misgivings. With a whole reality to play with in a one-shot that doesn't affect anything, the writer decided that this President Summers status quo isn't viable so they have to do a reboot to rubberband everything back the way things used to be with Jean suddenly alive and married to Scott.

It's both terrible and at the same time a brilliant meta commentary.

Me too.

I looked at the cover and the blurb, and I thought "Scott marrying Emma. Maybe they will riff on the classic Scott marries Jean comic. Make it a weepie, emotional comic with a happy ending."

Well I was right about it being weepie, since what I've heard has made me cry. Only instead of it showing Emma and Scott get a happy ending together, no it's Jean Grey coming back BECAUSE SHE IS THE LOVE!

The Spider-Man 100th Anniversary wasn't great, but I overall groked what they were going for in a "you are literally coming into a story 300 issues hence."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Soonmot posted:

I still don't get the Storm/ Wolverine pairing. Was that a Claremont thing? I'd expect Storm to have better taste.

Really? Because I always thought Wolverine was a better partner to Storm then Black Panther was.

Speaking of, when I read this month's New Avenger's and saw taht they had slept together again, I actually thought "really Storm? I thought you'd have better taste then to let him back."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

So the "Death" for Wolverine wasn't a literal death but a figurative death? Did I understand that right? Holy poo poo if thats the case gently caress Wolverine in his loving face.

Morrison came up with the idea of arcs about the hero dying which don't actually feature the heroes dying. And it was terrible when he did it too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Re reading the Uncanny X-men issue reminded me of how ethical and moral Xavier was in relation to humans and mutants living together.
I really wonder how Xavier would have handled the Incursion stuff if Hickman had been allowed use him.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

I was actually really liking this week issue of Uncanny... until the second half of the issue hits and suddenly the really innocuous, sweet story about Charles communicating with the child is supposed to be controversial for some reason. It's the same bullshit that made Battle of the Atom really irritating to me; it takes a pretty obvious and benign idea and pretends like it's a super-contentious flashpoint despite one side of the argument not really having a point. Why is Charles sealing the kid's powers and letting him live a normal life presented as a morally sketchy decision, even after the child explicitly gives Charles his consent? This whole storyline was about Charles having some dark hidden secret; was "Charles couldn't help this one kid control his powers, so that kid grew up to have :stonk: a normal childhood!!! :stonk:" really the best they could do?

That whole section of Scott flipping out because Charles was literally flawless and hypercompetent felt like blatantly artificial tension, and I have no idea why Bendis bothered to include it in what would otherwise be a story about the team overcoming their differences.

After years of "Charles Xaiver is really a douchebag" presenting his dark secret being "actually Charles Xavier is a principled guy, who even when confronted with a horrible set of circumstances, didn't compromise on his main moral principles, but does feel guilty about it." is kind of a neat twist.

And it did make me think about the Incursions and the ins and outs of the moral compromising in that story, and how would Charles have interacted with that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Skwirl posted:

That seems kinda silly, it made sense for Johnny Storm's will to include "Spider-Man should totally be on the team," they were peers and friendly rivals with a long history together. I know Spider-Man and Wolverine have teamed up and were on the Avengers together, but Spider-Man once threw Wolverine off of Stark Tower for calling MJ dumb, I don't think they had the same relationship.

Actually in recent years Spider-Man and Wolverine have really grown close as friends.

Dan Slott had them bond a lot and talk after Dark Reign when Osborn took over. And in particular Jason Aaron did a lot of Spider-Man and Wolverine interaction (in his amazing two parter storyline which showed how Wolverine is on so many teams at once) and his Amazing Spider-Man and Wolverine series.

The description to it is "Spider-Man and Wolverine are like brothers. Only Wolverine is the troubled older brother who has done jail time, and Peter is the young kid who has all the potential in the world."
Even after Wolvie lost his healing factor the first guy he went to, to get a suit of armour was Spider-Man.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I enjoyed Death of Wolverine. Not perfect, but it hd that nice Western feel about it.

And of ways for Wolverine to die, I think it was pretty good way. Not the covered in Adamantium stuff. But dying to stop three other people from going through what he went through, and (depending on how you look at it) not killing the badguy.
Wolverine has always about "Can Logan break the cycle of violence that has defined him his whole life."

The answer at the end is "yes, he can." That's pretty neat.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

SublimeDelusions posted:

So with the new discussion on Secret Wars, how does this bode for the X-Men? What are the odds that it will just be restarting things from scratch with a lot of "meh" storylines?

I firmly believe that when Secret Wars* is over, and the multi verse is fixed, Earth 616 will go back to normal. Except all the mutants end up on their own separate universe, for reasons. Also the Fantastic 4 will be there too. Just so Marvel can keep the Fox Movie properties separate to allow Marvel to focus on their 100% owned IP's.

*= Can I just say that Secret Wars is a dumb name for a Marvel event story. We had the 1984 Secret Wars and Bendis did his mini series Secret War in the 2000's.
I would have preferred it if they gave it a distinct name. Even something different like Secret Wars IV: A New Hope or Secret Wars: Battleworld.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

TwoPair posted:

While this is true, the real problem with X-23's addition to the team is that X-23's last appearance prior to ANXM (barring Avengers Arena which I think we all want to forget) was her telling Emma Frost that she would kill her the next time she saw her during AvX. Yet now they live together and that's just peachy.

But hey when's a pesky thing like continuity or prior characterization gotten in the way of a masterful story like the one we're reading no- :barf:

Because never in the history of comics has Wolverine threatened to kill someone who was his ally (possibly while popping his claws to emphasis the point) and then refused to follow up on that threat.

That being said, while I understand why people didn't like Avengers Arena, I think Avengers Undercover was decent. Like I don't think X-23 would have been believable as someone who would be taken in by the badguys, but it would have given her something to do, unlike in Bendis X-Men where she's just THERE.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

RevKrule posted:

If Wilson was on Uncanny, would that make her the first female writer of the book? I can see that being a huge View worthy announcement.

Majorie Liu wrote a run on X-Men run quite recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

I always laugh remembering that Apocalypse's first appearance was him filling in for the loving Owl of all people.

And on Earth- 1305 this X-Factor series was used to spring board Owl as a Mega A-List villain.
In the 90's there was the Age of Owl mega crossover.

• Locked thread