Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I liked WatXM. I just can't get enough of Eye Boy.

I've got this horrible feeling he's going to be the first to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

For me, Magneto was pretty good until the last few pages. "Haha, I'm not actually racist, I've just been colonized by nanobots." :cripes:

To be fair, that's an established thing in the X-Men series, and it showed a way that hatred towards mutants hurts humans too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That twist sounds so horrible. I was really looking forward to seeing how "Creed" and Wolverine's relationship turned out by the end, but gently caress it, we have to have a twist in there and have Sabertooth just kind of randomly decide to start antagonizing Wolverine because he killed the dude Sabertooth normally antagonized.

It also bothers me that Clara turns on Wolverine by the end, because of course she does.

To add to the "Sabertooth as a good character" discussion, he's also awesome in Age of Apocolypse and Exiles, but he's practically a different character entirely there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How the eye beams work is one of the least consistent matters in comics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

I actually wish Marvel or DC would do a DC Challenge-style book in modern times, but I realize that's incredibly wishful thinking given modern production times.

Wasn't Countdown like that?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Great. Dazzler goes Penance.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

Oh well that explains why the time stranded X-Men have no idea what a cell phone is and are flabergasted that people buy water in bottles.

Bendis wrote those scenes himself! :argh:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm perfectly fine with Earth-616's defining feature is that time works weirdly. Just say the original X-Men are from the sixties. Yes, it's 2014. Who gives a gently caress.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I never much cared for Doug Ramsey as a character, but I always loved what he represented - that not every mutant was a superhero-in-waiting.

See also, that crippled and disfigured guy from Astonishing X-Men.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Starsnostars posted:

In the New 52 someone will cut off The Face's face and wear it like a cape.

One Face has it stapled to his chest so he can be Two Face again.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Diet Poison posted:

Also haha at the idea that the kids from the current Uncanny run would be aged up and major characters in 25 years or however long it is til the real 100th anniversary.

I'm still waiting for Elixir and Surge to be in the spotlight again.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Codependent Poster posted:

At the Hellfire Club Emma would use her powers to let people think she was sleeping with them. But it's always been an act.

She also did that in First Class, which, despite the otherwise good quality of the movie, was the only remotely Emma Frost-like moment for her in that film.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

It's kind of weird looking back at the really early Lee/Kirby stuff where their deadliest enemies were guys like the Vanisher and the Blob, and they were the ones that'd get Xavier going, "Cerebro has detected a new mutant who could be the deadliest threat the world has ever known!"

So in other words...

SirDan3k posted:

I imagine Xavier walks around calling every mutant he meets "possibly the most powerful mutant I've ever known!"

...this actually is canon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

Quentin makes me a little sad, because I don't think he's ever going to be the phoenix. There will continue to be a bazillion issues where some future version of Quentin is the phoenix, but there isn't going to be a book where he becomes the phoenix and that is now the new status quo.

This is what I said about the first future X-Men tease with him finding Deathlok's body, but everyone said nooo, that's totally gonna happen for real.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I one hundred percent side with Scott, but to the play the devil's advocate, I do think there are some differences. Cyclops was influenced by the Phoenix, but Wolverine was entirely mind controlled by the Hand.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

It was extremely unclear but I think the nanomachines were only supposed to be affecting Cyclops and Magik.

I haven't read the Magneto series for awhile, but a big deal in it is about how his powers are weaker and stuff from Uncanny!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

notthegoatseguy posted:

LOL @ Death of Wolverine and Reed saying "We're not that close" about Tony Stark and Hank McCoy.

Reed was saying he and Wolverine weren't close. "I understand, we're not close" was a reply to Wolverine saying Reed was the last on his list of geniuses.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PaybackJack posted:

I have a friend who's convinced that he can tell if someone is white or black in comics by looking at their lips and certain artists piss him off because they don't draw Luke Cage with "black" lips.

I don't know what black lips and white lips look like, but is it Greg Land? They do not give a gently caress that the person they trace even looks like the character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hey, guys, I posted a bit of X-Men analysis in the Bad Webcomics Thread. I'm not a dedicated X-reader now, so I wanted to know if I was onto anything with this:

Kaga agrees with you.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's really amazing that one character is responsible a large percentage of racial slurs in in the Marvel Universe(not counting adult oriented stuff like MAX).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nobby posted:

Ink.

Remember that motherfucker? And his motherfucking Phoenix tattoo? I just did, and now I'm pissed off all over again.

I've never read it, but now I really wanna know what was so bad about it and this character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sentinel Red posted:

I do find it rather strange that there's a steady stream of Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Thor analogs out there (and more) and barely anyone cares or passes comment but as soon as there's a character based on an iconic Japanese one, some nerds get sniffy and act like it's unacceptable or can't go without pointing it out in a derisive manner. Like drat, there's near a dozen non-powered archer folks running around but heavens forbid someone do a Tetsuo homage, oh the humanity!

It's a really lazily done Tetsuo homage. But then, so are most Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Thors.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

How much eggnog have you had? People bitch those analogues out of existence/into background extras, this is just fresher in memory.

Analogues aren't bad but hardly anyone does them right.

Hickman is using Hyperion very well, and Morrison is currently doing it well in Multiversity.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 29, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

I wonder if there's an in universe reason for an all female team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR5lBE5Sq3I

All I wanna know is how Pixie, Rescue, and Carolina Dean get in.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waterhaul posted:

There's an interview with Lemire on his Extraordinary book. Looks as if they are in part keeping the Terrigen Mist's kills or is detrimental to mutants thing that was rumoured.

source

The Inhumans stuff since Infinity has been such a shitshow and it's only getting worse. I can't believe the guys engineered by the Celestials are getting shoved out by the guys engineered by the Kree.

Goddamn Marvel, just focus on your non mutants in movies instead of loving the X-Men over to make way for New Coke X-Men. It doesn't even make sense, why use off brand mutants if you can't use the the actual characters that made the franchise so popular?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

This is not mutants except on Earth-X (and whatever time tributaries lead to and from it) where it's everyone. Only the Eternals were engineered by the Celestials in 616.
I can't find it but I swear there's a panel in the original Eternals series of the Celestials putting the x gene in humans.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah lovely characters like Ms. Marvel
Ms. Marvel is the diamond in the rough and nothing good about her requires being an Inhuman. She would be exactly as good as she is, or better, as a mutant.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MY ABACUS! posted:

Right, but why promote a solo character they couldn't turn into a movie if they wanted?

Starsnostars posted:

Ms Marvel didn't need to be an Inhuman, she just needed not to be a mutant. She could have been gamma powered or found out she was a robot, Marvel just so happened to be pushing the Inhumans at the time she was created. Maybe somewhere down the line someone will write a great story with her that relies on her Inhuman ties but that hasn't happened yet.

Yeah, I didn't mean she needed to be a mutant specifically, but either way her inhumanity is very unessential, so she's not a great example fo how awesome the Inhuman push is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Elixir was a really good character. I wish they hadn't hosed him up and abandoned him so hard.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've never read that X-Force, but I've always liked Wolfsbane in X-Factor. Even her accent was really charming to me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Since they brought young Warren in nobody has really given a poo poo about original Warren.

It's kind of disgraceful how they just stone cold offed the old Cyclops, too. I liked that guy. :sigh:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 22, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

so now everyone hates Beast, especially Maria Hill
The best part of that entire run.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
For like 3/4ths of my life, Jean has been dead, and like Barry Allen I think she works better dead than alive. She's kind of this mythical mary sue to me, who was perfect, pure, but oh, she's dead but the impact she leaves is still there. Kind of like Laura Torch from Black Summer(which incidentally is one of my favorite comic books ever). Her use in Alias was masterful.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

That's not what Mary Sue means.

It's a close enough casual shorthand for "girl without any flaws", don't nitpick.

Probably Magic posted:

The O5 one doesn't feel right to me.

Poor replacements all around.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

I think being a self insert for the author is a pretty drat important distinction for a Mary Sue.

Wikipedia actually says one is "often but not necessarily" a self insert which is about what I'd say too. Why go through the effort of this derail when the meaning of what I was saying was perfectly clear?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Die Laughing posted:

Jean and Gwen Stacey are both those virginal girl next door, that are absolutely perfect for the male character to the point of their death being their only real source of drama.

That's why I vastly prefer Emma and for Jean to just stay in the past.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Morrison is good with characters he likes, but he turns anyone he doesn't like into one note strawmen like Nazi Magneto.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Actually, it was Xorn's twin brother.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HIJK posted:

:gonk:

Haven't gotten to much of that yet. Not sure if I want to now.

A powerful psychic was thinking about their sibling, you see.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Check out the Fleischer cartoons because they're loving awesome, too.

They're also who we have to think for Superman flying.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I thought Superman flew due to the radio show needing him to get places fast.

Maybe. I heard it was because flying was easier to animate than high jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Codependent Poster posted:

It's probably a clone.

Cyclone.

I really hope not. Cyclops deserves better but so does the whole X-Men franchise and Marvel doesn't give a gently caress.

Rhyno posted:

John Byrne is the worst because he tried very hard to get people to "pass the mantle" to himself when Kirby died.

Which is hilarious and says a lot about John Byrne. He doesn't get that just being a decent artist isn't all there is to Kirby. Hell, some of his stuff looks just plain ugly, but Kirby earned his reputation from his unique style and raw creativity. Byrne isn't a bad artist but it's like comparing a competent painting of a field to Picasso.

• Locked thread