Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

I didn't think it was a great issue, but it's got promise.
Yeah that's about where it landed for me. I liked the Quire couch scenes, but I don't care for the Phoenix. The x-franchise seemed mired in phoenix and/or time travel plots of late, which I don't need more of. I like seeing Evan interact with Fantomex, but I find his portrayal here feels at odds with his portrayal in other recent books. Granted it feels like where Fantomex should be, if you ignore the awful X-force series that just finished.

Maybe I'm just sour because I finished reading Vendetta (which was awful) to read the new X-Force which wasn't a great deal better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Man is this bendis crossover bad. I'm not sure this is so much a story as retreading a bunch of stuff for the past brought forward kids.

bobkatt013 posted:

I just hope that Yost does not want to get rid of any of the students.
Do you mean that in the sense of 'I hope they will still show up' or like 'I hope they won't be taking the bus'

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ElNarez posted:

Am I crazy?
Well if you are, I'm nuts too, because I really enjoyed X-Force #2 and found it leagues ahead of the previous issue. Also I'm rapidly coming to delight in how Cable is drawn.

I also thought PAD had a really good handle on this week's X-Factor.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cabbit posted:

Look, if you can't appreciate a terrible joke for the joyous thing that it is then I think it's your issue.
He makes a doink noise when his balls hit Cyclops in the head. How can this be bad?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I have some horrible feeling they'd recently done a resurrect Jean event like, centered on Pryor or something horrible like that? I feel like it was right around Necrosha? It's either I'm repressing a storyline or I'm having difficulty discerning my nightmares and flashbacks to Greg Land art, though. Both feel about the same.

It may not have involved Greg Land. The faces haunt me.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

I really hate that the new X-Force just dumped a whole bunch of characters and poo poo. Domino and Colossus getting together and Spiral being used and Boom Boom and Forge and Nemesis' back and forth.
I think the Forge and Nemesis dynamic might have been hinted to still be going on, but I agree that looking at the end of Vendetta (which did suck) I'm kinda fouled on all the good stuff it dropped as well.

Also, I like Puck. The world needs more Puck in books you wouldn't think he fits into.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Christmas Jones posted:

I'm hoping it's just hype, though. The Red Skull ate his brain, and that wasn't even the worst assault to his dignity compared to Deadly Genesis. Let the man have some peace.
It's too much to hope it's something Xavier did that was noble and self-sacrificing but is coming back to bite his students in the rear end, right?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You know, arguments aside I really don't feel like Bendis wants to be on the X-books. It just comes off as rather negative and phoned in, with constant retreads or actual re-use of previous frames in canon. Spending multiple pages showing the Cyclops plane scene just killed my interest in the book, as odd rear end it sounds, it's several pages he put zero effort into. The plot is moving extremely slowly, and he isn't really exploring much of anything new. The original five. The phoenix. Time travel to re-use characters or ideas. Sentinels. Isn't the trial of Jean Grey something they've done in canon before? Isn't it seriously just a rehash of an idea except it is young-has not-done-it Jean Grey?

Some of his issues I've really liked but as a whole I find my interest slipping away. I got bored during ANXM #25 and just put it down.

This is like Fear Itself tie-in level Bendis. I would really enjoy if the Cyclops stuff felt like his Dark Avengers with a bit more ambiguity.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Diet Poison posted:

Probably easier to ask if anybody actually liked it?
The darker yet far less daring repeated entrances to X-futures in later books have essentially warmed me up to Here Comes Tomorrow. I do still wish the end of the run wasn't that, but it did a bunch of stuff that I'm happy with in the long run. I mean, compare to the shittiness of Battle of the Atom (omg so edgy Xorn-Jean!!!) or that Dust alternate feature that traumatized several members of the board and it feels like it is just a dumb topic in general. There's probably like 2-3 other ones I'm suppressing as well.

I do find how it deals with cloning and genetic manipulation to be completely stupid but that's a broad across the board thing I have with every X-book. At least it was creepy and evil without just being EVIL JEAN! EVIL XAVIER! so on. And yeah, the original X-future idea is still better, but that's peak Claremont for you.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

I would think the retcons against Morrison would be less Quesada having a fit and more Claremont having a rage fit, especially since Excalibur is just one long whine about Eve of Destruction and New X-Men.
I've never read that Excalibur run since I have a crippling allergy to later day Claremont. What happened in Excalibur exactly?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Someone should totally do a write up of that Excaliber run for the Worst runs thread. I mean it may not be the worst, but it sounds pretty bad.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I like to tell my non-comic book friends about dumb stuff in comics a lot, but I almost feel ashamed at the entire Xorn thing. It's just too dumb and ridiculous and contrived to even think about.
Really? I enjoy trying to explain that one to people

"So Xorn's big reveal is he's Magneto! But that wasn't good enough for some people! So instead, he is the twin brother to another Xorn, also Xorn, and he was Xorn pretending to be Magneto pretending to be Xorn all along! And then one of the Xorns sucked Exodus into his head, or something? I dunno, Chuck Austen, whatever."

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Bendis actually explain
Isn't the answer always no?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cabbit posted:

Anole is off being CEO of Worthington Industries, which is I guess one way to get rid of a character you don't want to write.
I'm just glad he didn't take the bus. At least there's hope someone will use him well in the future this way.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

irlZaphod posted:

I'm still not sure if I'm reading X-Factor just because Doug and Warlock are in it, or if I'm actually enjoying reading it.
I was enjoying it before that and then Doug showed up acknowledging the earlier run he was in and I wanted to high five Peter David. I feel like there have been so many good recent X-books that aren't the up front big deal books that whenever people say 'hey I read that' it makes me really happy.

I do like the art though, and I am not in the hates Danger camp anymore either so ... I might be the odd duck here.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Children's Crusade was Age of Ultron-level terrible.
I think Children's Crusade is basically the bottom of modern Marvel comics, when you assess it in the context of how long it took to finish shipping nine issues of suck.

There's probably a worse individual comic or worse arc somewhere in the pile, but Children's Crusade is a major event blockbusting nine issue snoregasm of lovely retcons, out of character writing and just dogshit everything.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You're probably right, but I think it bears repeating CC started (according to wikipedia, I barely remember) in 2010?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I really liked all new, and then I didn't. It feels like Bendis doesn't want me to enjoy it, also that Bendis wants me to hate Kitty.

X-Force is getting better and better just as Legacy did, though some of it was a little bit too on the nose or feels a bit off. I'm going to agree with the idea that Spurrier isn't handling Fantomex very well, but then add on that I don't think anyone has in a while and the hole is getting pretty big here, so maybe it isn't his fault.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Young Jean implying that she would be totally into old Scott was creepy as gently caress.
She totally would and there's nothing unusual about that.

What is unusual, to me, is a writer feeling the need to write greater than zero words on that topic, especially since it sours every other interaction those two are going to have. He took a heartwarming scene, defecated on it and then had Kitty show up to wag her finger at us. Like I said, it's like he doesn't want us to enjoy the book.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 1, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel like Sabertooth is better the further away he gets from Wolverine and being caught in the perpetual loop of being a secondary character that progresses or regresses randomly.

Also is it just a thing that Wolverine stories have to be about healing factors and relatives now? I haven't read much of his solo work recently but that was a big part of Daken and all his back story right? Hell, isn't the current book about how he lost his healing factor?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't see how the line could be interpreted any different unless we really stretch how much time 'a couple' can refer to.
"A couple of weeks" can mean more than two when used informally by a confused teenager.

Otherwise people would just say two.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Good money says Bendis ends his X-Men run with the return of the real Jean Grey.
Nah I'm willing to bet it ends in six or ten years from now exactly like his Avengers run did.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I really hate the phoenix, time travel and pre-destination as a plot point. Assuming that is even the word I'm looking for.

And yet I find myself really enjoying this Quire focused Wolverine and the X-men. I also find X-Factor weirdly amusing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Suben posted:

Edit: I honestly think "wacky high concept" is sort of an overplayed thing at Marvel in general though IMO and it's the main reason I absolutely hate Aaron's X-Men run.
Yeah, I think you just nailed down why I hated most of it too. Aaron is so hit or miss for me though. I adore his Thor to bits. I liked his Hulk run upon re-reading it from beginning to end. I actually would sort of like to see him on Iron Man. The bit in Original sin made me chuckle a little more than it should have.

I tried re-reading WATXM from the beginning again and just found it, yeah, doesn't work for me. I like all the concepts in the new run though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MY ABACUS! posted:

I know this isn't what you're taking issue with, but every time there's a "hope you survive the experience," I cringe so hard.
Actually, while I'm excited for Miles, I cringed hard at that too. Bendis is phoning this poo poo in so hard it is unbelievable. Look! A reference to a classic story! Wow! So original!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

100% essential Nightcrawler reading. If you read it, you'll never read another Nightcrawler story again!
Who is the blue lass?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Seriously, I kinda take it for granted being a 19-year-old but my friendly neighborhood comics shop had Saga right next to a Transformers comic in the indie section.
This is totally off-topic but the recent, mainline TF stuff is not for kids at all either. Some of it still is, but a great deal of it is about politics, survivor's guilt and PTSD coupled with scenes of torture, organ harvesting, lobotomies, body mutilation as a political motivated punishment and various other bits of nightmare fuel.

I haven't read Saga but I imagine it isn't too far from it in terms of maturity.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Really enjoyed this issue of ANX-Factor, PAD is starting to get into the swing of things while keeping the scale just right. I like Gambit's cats more than I should.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Transformers has robots fighting each other. Saga has graphic anal sex and child prostitution. I'd say they're kind of on a different level.
Dang, I had no idea it was quite that far.

Also I don't think robots torturing each other by chainsawing off each other's limbs is precisely under the domain of "robots fighting each other", but I concede Saga is much further than I thought it was.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sam is one of those good, well rounded b or c-list characters where writers just forget to care and write them completely out of current characterization. Wasn't he on the team that worked for Pete Wisdom and did a bunch of gnarly black ops poo poo even? His resume is pretty drat respectable, but no one ever remembers.

edit: Oh and Age of X is drat excellent, it is sort of a AU where some of it matters and it is one of the best Legion stories. Probably my favorite Rogue story, and I sort of wish Frenzy was still hanging around with Cyclops but I guess Bendis didn't want to follow up on that.

Does have the alternate timeline version of Pixie slipping in one of the dirtiest lines in a comic, but "Nightmare" might annoy people anyway.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 9, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The future evil brotherhood that we met sends a letter to the past-future brotherhood so we're actually seeing the future brotherhood from the future brotherhood's past explicitly told how to deal with the present X-teams but after the future future brotherhood showed up. Which is why a bunch of them are back, because that future no longer exists, but it send the past future brotherhood a letter.

Probably Magic posted:

Raze could've been an interesting character since Logan and Raven are pretty strange people whose kid would be weird, but he's just written as a blue Sabertooth. Missed opportunity there.
All of these characters are seriously just
Take existing property
Draw angry eyebrows on them
Make them say THE FUTURE IS YOUR FAULT

Anything beyond that was too much effort

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That is a reference to Mystique giving the kid up for adoption.

I still find it really weird he isn't Legion's son - wasn't he introduced as Xavier's grandson? It would be a total mindfuck if he was Legion's son, X-men kill his grandfather and are totally fine with his father being deleted from existence.

Oh no now I'm picturing BoTA being written by Spurrier and it would actually be good. Argh.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The problem with the reveal is that it felt like it was building up to be some sort of off-shoot from the time travel thing - like something Beast's idiocy brought into the present. It could be anything, in fact, it largely felt it was supposed to be a new character or a new take. I think people were guessing it could be Cyclops (from the past) come back from the future to gently caress with Cyclops (present) in the present.

Say young Cyclops developed a thing for X-23, and then something older Cyclops does gets her killed and eventually young Cyclops grows up, hates the future and realizes "where it all went wrong" is where he lost X-23 (I am intentionally avoiding the brutal and obtuse 'hello im bendis im ruin the major x-romance blargh' thing). The elements are already in play. Actually, for a moment there I really thought the reveal was going to be young Beast grown up and all bitter about the future or how old and young Cyclops treated him. I could totally dig that.

The only real information we had to work from is the idea the dude hated Cyclops and had sentinels which to me really doesn't feel like Dark Beast at all actually. Does Dark Beast even remember who Cyclops is? So I guess that's another problem too.

Also does anyone else ever find it rather weird that Iron Man is like the only Marvel super science to be written as having a set of even vaguely specific skills? Like Dark Beast is using nano-sentinels and robotics when I swear he was like all in on being an evil biologist. It's just like, this science can do anything! Engineering, robotics, biology, nanotech! It's all the same thing anyway! Comic books!

So basically even if it were better written the reveal didn't work (neither does Sinister, either, but I also just plain wish Sinister would never come back)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I would be totally fine with a mature writer plotting out Molly Hayes' life to that end. Looking at how screwed up her childhood got and how exposure to the bullshit the X-people sling at each other isn't good for a developing mind, then writing a story that ends with her losing faith with the X-men and becoming 'evil' in a reasonable fashion, but I think that kind of mature timely development is hopeless in modern day marvel.

Skipping to the end is loving bullshit and it kinda blows my mind how much we're supposed to fill in with our imaginations when it comes to Bendis/Aaron x-books.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What's the context there?

Although seriously those are great panels. He looks positively aghast, and then less so in the next panel.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

Aw I'm really sorry to hear that, because I think you're right. Having old Cyclops and Wolverine watch in horror as Young Cyclops and Rule 63 Wolverine hook up is a deliciously warped idea I wanted to see a hell of a lot more of.
On the other hand, Wolverine still has all this unresolved guilt about what X-Force ended up doing the Angel, so there's some potential crying Wolverine at the window of the school action there too. I want an entire issue where all Wolverine can say is bub and then makes a sadface.

Bendis' plot devices are always so stupid. I need to write a note? Really? And who is delivering this note? Who isn't reading it before it goes out the door? Yeah ok.

On the other hand, is that my motorcycle?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

irlZaphod posted:

Like X-Men: Legacy was, X-Force is the best X-book that you're all not reading.
I found that last issue kinda dragged for a bit as if luring me into a false sense of security.

And yes, more people should get into it. It is good. Spurrier is legitimately talented at taking his little corner of X-verse and doing something truly weird but also truly X-men.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think maybe you're mixing up your time browsing r34 with stuff actually implied in the comics, dude. And it's weird.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Skwirl posted:

This is actually a good example of the double standards we apply to men and women. Emma Frost is a slut because she's slept with a bunch of people, including Tony Stark and Namor. What do we call Tony Stark and Namor?
Namor is a sexual Atlantimperius Rex.

Also it is really a bunch of people? It sounds like five or six. But yeah, it is pretty drat weird. Comic fans are really literal though. Really, really literal.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

No Idie and Quire are sort of parallel main characters to Storm and Wolverine in WATAX last I checked.

Then again I haven't read the last issue or so, so maybe she took the bus while I wasn't paying attention. Wouldn't be surprised.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Didn't they cure the thing breaking powers, or were Dark Beasts nano sentinels a second, separate power breaking?
I couldn't even figure out if Emma's powers were being portrayed as functional or not.

X-Force meanwhile was loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I really liked X-Factor. I didn't necessarily think Slott hosed Quicksilver up, characters go back and forth, but this is him moving forward. This book is a nice example of what canon can do.

Diet Poison posted:

Magneto's solo title could really become Mutant Breaking Bad right now if it wanted to. And it really should.
Does anyone else get that taste in their throat at the end of a good issue when the last page reads "Next up: lovely crossover Hell!"

• Locked thread