Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The Question IRL posted:

Hey hey hey. Greg Pakk was also involved in Phoenix: Endsong. And the sequel, Phoenix: Warsong, but that didn't have Jean Grey in it.

The last proper appearance of Jean Grey (apart from the time displaced one) was at the end of AvX. She shows up in a very "this redhead whose face you don't see but is totally Jean Grey gives the equivalent of Superman winking at the camera." moment at the resolution of the story.

Greg Pak has at least done many great comics that redeem such a mistake. Greg Land has not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

E the Shaggy posted:

I blame making Dazzler the selling point.

Dazzler was great in it and it only makes her current treatment all the worse.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

coconono posted:

they bring back gay Wolverine from X-treme X-Men.

If this was true, it would only be topped by making sure he keeps his Herculean lover.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Marvel's in a really weird state right now. On the one hand you have some really good, really imaginative comics like Hawkeye, Ms Marvel, and Moon Knight. They're things where the creators get to take classic characters and have almost free reign. It's almost like work for hire characters in a creator owned world.

But on the other hand, you have some seriously heavy handed editorial mandates. Fear Itself, a crossover dragged out into event because of synergy! Inhumans being forced down our throats to try and because Disney can't do an X-men movie. Nick Fury's utterly disastrous transition to Nick Fury Jr because white Nick Fury could confuse people who've only watched the movies I guess.

Their middle ground right now almost doesn't exist.

I honestly believe the x-books have ebbed and flowed in quality recently because Disney doesn't own the rights to the movies and their caring level is very low.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Red posted:

My parents definitely made it clear that I didn't get to get a toy every time we went to the store, but they were fine if I ever asked for a comic book. Part of it was that comics were super cheap in the 80s, it meant that me reading it gave them some quiet, and they really really wanted me to read as much as I wanted. I got plenty of comics and traditional books.

Are comics too expensive for parents?

In relation to toys, they're still pretty cheap but $4 for a 20 page story is a lot of loving money when you get down to it.

It doesn't help that the big three characters' main books of one major company are just a few steps down from Invincible level violence and the main team up book of the other major company is nearly indecipherable for an adult reading just one issue, let alone a kid.

And lets not forget that the author of the current 2 major X books also wrote the following page:

Say what you will about artist interpretations and the scripts they're given, whether he meant to go that far or not, it's his name on the cover.

That's not to say there aren't any good books from either company and it's not to say there aren't all ages books available from any company but when this is what you're putting forth in your marquee books, you can't put too much blame on a comic shop that puts age limits on people in the door.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

irlZaphod posted:

"I've got Xavier's will here."
"Xavier's will?"
"Yeah."
"Is he dead? I didn't think Xavier was dead."
"Sure he's dead, he was killed by the Phoenix Five."
"Xavier? Wow... Wait, Phoenix Five? I thought there was just one of them."
"You don't remember the Phoenix Five? When they killed Xavier?"
"Phoenix Five? Killed Xavier? Wow."

It's like the worst episode of Speed Racer ever.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire is like if you took Dallas, but removed JR Ewing and any other interesting character, just left the drama, threw it into space, and puked out an ending that ultimately had no point. Then Emperor Vulcan happened to reaffirm how pointless the ending of the previous arc had been.

But hey, it got Havok out of the main universe, and I guess that's what Marvel had been wanting to do since Mutant X ended by approving that, so whatever, keep Havok in bad, irrelevant comics forever and ever, I suppose, until Uncanny Avengers comes along.

The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire is an interesting read if you take it totally out of the X-Men universe and use it for historical purposes in the build up of War of Kings. I'm not saying it's good, but it serves some form of purpose, at least.

But if you're reading through just UXM straight, it's a terrible mini (12 issues? really? gently caress that!) that interrupts any flow that might've possibly been forming.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I hear X-Treme X-Men is pretty tight.

Now now, there was an X-Treme X-Men that was really good....it just wasn't written by Claremont.

Although, if you want some awesome X books, you should be reading those X-Men Forever ones. Claremont returning where he left off 20 years later? What could go wrong???

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The new New Mutants from 2009 starts with Zeb Wells bringing back Illyana. It's some of the best X comics of the past 5 years. He goes all out on it and really gets in touch with the characters. This run also brings back Legion and starts his fixing process.

There are two quality dips, when he has to contend with the Second Coming crossover and the last arc feels a bit rushed. Otherwise this seriously is a book everyone should've read.

DnA do a serviceable job afterwards and have some great moments (the Magma goes on a date issue is loving classic) but the second half of the series never hits the stride that Wells had.

Honestly, before this, all I had heard of from Wells was his Robot Chicken work, afterward, I will pick up anything that man writes; I still haven't been disappointed.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Fritzler posted:

Wait yes, I totally lied. It is Zeb Wells New Mutants, not DnA and Andy Lanning! I'm editing my post. I hope you see this before you order!

The Dan and Andy New Mutants isn't bad like I said, it's just a huge quality step down from Wells who knocks it out of the park. And again, one of my fave issues is the Magma date issue (one of the best one and dones in recent memory). However, they don't deal as much with Illyana and her poo poo, the more deal with team dynamic and missions.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Some of my hate for Fraction's run comes from the TERRIBLE art that accompanied it. Almost his whole run was done with Greg Land. Yes there were some issues with the Dodsons taking the art duties but for the most part, and especially a lot of the more pivotal issues were Land.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

If Wilson was on Uncanny, would that make her the first female writer of the book? I can see that being a huge View worthy announcement.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

Majorie Liu wrote a run on X-Men run quite recently.

She wrote Adjectiveless but never Uncanny.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

It's A-Force. All female Avengers team.
http://mashable.com/2015/02/06/marvel-female-avengers-a-force/

I was hoping for her on a legacy book personally.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dennis Hopeless is taking over at least one major X book (ANX) in October. For all the poo poo I've said about Bendis, at least he's had some really majorly great books that he's done (Daredevil, Powers, USM, etc). Hopeless on the other hand has a bunch of mediocre to really bad titles under his belt with his one even remotely shining star (Cable and the X-Force) kinda in the past.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Cullen Bunn and (shudder) Greg Land on UXM.

Bunn has done some great work, but it's never stuff with teams. It'll sell because some assholes seem to think Land has talent but I really wish they didn't put him back on UXM. Haven't we suffered enough atrocities?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

No Slott book yet but Ramos will be found ruining Lemire's words in Extraordinary X-men.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hmm, good point on the lack of covers. Looks like this is all coming from everyone's fave rumor mill bleeding cool. Depending on how much you trust it, these could have wiggle room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Fraction was saddled with not just Greg Land on art but when you were given a respite there was a good chance you'd have Portacio art instead. I don't think it was a bad run per se, but I never did really swallow him using his short(ish) run to bring back both Kitty Pryde and Psylocke in totally separate arcs.

• Locked thread