Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yeah, I have. I'm enjoying it; it's a very pretty book. Sinister's shown up already and done some bad poo poo, but it's looking like the real meat of the plot is going to be the genesis of Creed and Logan's rivalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Suben posted:

I still don't get why Jubilee, a Chinese-American, gave her kid a Japanese name.

Maybe she likes the name?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

He runs a corporation in a comic book and isn't Tony Stark or part of his retinue. Of course he's evil.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

My personal theory is that he's speaking that way specifically to piss off Psylocke. It's probably not the case, but I'm sticking to it.

No, that's my theory too. After seeing where he ended up in the re-launch of Wolverine and the X-Men, I have a distinct impression he's deliberately trying too hard to keep up appearances and keep Betty at arms length. Sort of a "She wants to be better, and I am poison; I must drive her away" kind of thing.

It seems like the sort of thing Si would come up with, considering the nuance and foreshadowing evident in his Legacy run, and more plausible than him just being bad at Fantomex.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Look, if you can't appreciate a terrible joke for the joyous thing that it is then I think it's your issue.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I want to see Magik cut a demons head off while riding a motorcycle!

Also Kurt and Cap teamup would be great, though one panel I had no idea who they were talking about was "A Tortured Soul becomes an icon". I think its supposed to be Wanda, but I have no idea what the image was supposed to be showing.

The guy Hank was talking to I thought was going to be a future traveling Professer X.

I'm just eternally amused by somebody spending their whole night verbally annihilating Hank McCoy.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Fritzler posted:

Dude, I liked Uncanny X-Men way more than I have liked most issues of it. I'm not sure why, I can't put my finger on any reason why I liked it.

In WatX, was that Hellion with Rockslide and Idie who were the only X-students who defended the school? I can't believe Anole would let Rockslide go without him. I just dropped X-Men, but I will need to pick it back up if there is a Rockslide/Anole teamup.

Anole is off being CEO of Worthington Industries, which is I guess one way to get rid of a character you don't want to write.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Which is to say, yes, it's supposed to be bullshit.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'm still betting he's trying to annoy the piss out of Psylocke in order to keep her away from him, to her benefit.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Allegedly Crain used an underage model at one point so he's been blacklisted from Marvel.

Kind of ironic, considering there's a legitimate problem about mainstream comics having teenage girls drawn like stacked supermodels.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Well, if anyone was looking for an explanation of what's going on with Fantomex, X-Force's got it this month.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

I have a HUGE problem with how they portray Cyclops's power in the issue that came out today. He uses it to propel himself around in space, which means it's pushing back on him when he's using it, which means he's basically headbutting everything he hits with his eye beams! Ahhh!!

It pushes him around in space, where there's absolutely zero resistance. Considering he barely knocked his head against the ship when he was firing full blast, it's clearly not much of a push.

Edit: What bugs me is that Warpath's cat-skunk-whatever girlfriend is cheating on Jimmy with Corsair.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 8, 2014

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I liked the No More Humans OGN. I have not been a big fan of Bendis's run at all (nor Wood's), so it felt like "finally, a real X-Men story again!"

Though, yeah, Beast is such a sanctimonious prick that it's just absurd. I'm willing to entertain that he's specifically being written like that, i.e., the audience is supposed to think he's a prick.

And it's getting a bit old having the Phoenix pop its head up every couple months or so. Each appearance is written like its such a huge deal, but its totally not because it happens constantly now. Clearly, everyone (characters and creators alike) are obsessed with the real Jean, so they should just bring her back already.

Beast is explicitly a sanctimonious prick, I don't know how anyone could misconstrue it. The Watcher showed up just recently with the specific purpose of telling him that. He's part of the Illuminati, for God's sake.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

No More Humans was good.

I guess the new thing is Mystique just has sex and children with every character, because?

She's supposed to be Wolverine old, right? Maybe she's just getting bored now.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Whoops, how could I forgot Wolverines past romances? I don't think anyone in marvel has had healthy relationships, even Cap.

Northstar and his husband have a pretty healthy relationship, I think. The book they were featured in was powerfully boring so it's hard to be sure.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

Not really surprising but the Axis X-Event Marvel have been hyping up is the culmination/continuation of Remender's Uncanny Avengers.

Just in case there wasn't enough events going on.

Goddamnit, why is Loki standing with a bunch of villains.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Suben posted:

I know and it's terrible.

Screw you it is. We could use more telepaths who aren't there for Scott Summers to alternatively pine over or be related to. The closest we've got is Hellion, who's just a telekinetic and only really shows up when one of the kids needs to be an rear end in a top hat or get maimed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Isn't Bendis at his best writing Ultimate Spidey? Maybe this is the secret ingredient that will rocket his X-Men run to new heights!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I have this underlying feeling that this Nightcrawler book is, objectively, not very good and yet I can't seem to stop myself from enjoying it. It's fun and sort of campy, somehow reminding me of older stuff.

Like, just the depiction of Nightcrawler's heaven somehow invokes nostalgia and I can't even place why.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

Well, you see, when Mystique and Logan did their thing, their kid turned out exactly like his mother but WITH CLAWS! But when it was decided that Xavier's "grandkid" was actually his son with Mystique of all people, he's an exact clone because that's how genetics work and not because Bendis decided on a whim that would be the best way to use said character.

Maybe he's also a shapeshifter like Raze, but he's incredibly fixated on his dad and opts to look like him.

Or maybe kids don't follow a predictable notion of who they look like. I resemble my mother, my sister looks remarkably like my dad with breasts and brown hair. Genetics are weird.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Kaleidoscope posted:

If that happens the future kid will fall into a coma until they wanna bring him back. It'd be ridiculous to bring him back this soon, especially with the whole "Last Will & Testament of Charles Xavier" storyline starting up soon.

The Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier: "By the time you read this, I will already be alive again. Ha ha, ha ha ha, ha," and well it just goes on like that.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

It was disposed of in accordance with time honored Shi'ar death rites, fired into a newly cleaned sliding glass door and then feed to a neighborhood cat.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Thank God for that. Dark Beast showing up out of nowhere just to die was kind of weird, though, unless I'm forgetting an earlier appearance.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm not terribly broken up that Dazzler won't be drawn as Generic Spandex Wearing Blonde Woman #a billion any more. Let her look like she just walked out of a Vampire: The Masquerade sourcebook for awhile, it'll be a change of pace.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

SirDan3k posted:

Wolverine: The world doesn't need more people like me running around.

This is exactly it. Wolverine knows it's too late for him, but he wants better for others. It's a major theme for the dude, why he keeps collecting underage sidekicks, one of his major motivations for being a superhero.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

If this whole Magneto series is designed as a bridge from heel hero back to principled villain, as I'm beginning to suspect, it's goddamn well designed bridge.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'm just going to sit here and feel smug about being on the Spurrier X-Force bandwagon from day one. Kind of want to see what he'd do with free reign over the whole X line.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'm now utterly convinced of the idea that the point of this Magneto book is to document his journey back to megalomaniac villainy on a road of good intentions, and I love it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Jiro posted:

Why do people think that Holocaust Survivor Magneto, is going to go evil during AXIS and join up with NAZI Red Skull Onslaught?

I could see a whole "Magneto loses his way, becomes what he hates" schtick, only done right this time. The slow erosion of his principles over the course of his solo series leading up to it, a detailed travelogue of his moral compromises and failings, would make for far better justification than "Magneto huffs some drugs and now he's a Nazi!".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Archyduke posted:

I don't think he was prowling around thinking to himself, "the best place to meet women is in the sewers under Jersey City."

I dunno, the kind of women Wolverine goes for it might be. You don't find cyborg ninjas shopping for fair trade coffee at Trader Joe's.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

Well no. Xavier married Mystique at some point because...whatever Xavier and Mystique had a close relationship in First Class okay.

The reveal is Xavier had a mutant before the X-Men and he was super powerful, so powerful he had to be mindwiped to forget his powers, and people no doubt died and this dark secret is completely different to Vulcan and Deadly Genesis. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Maybe it's additional to Genesis, like an add-on. A Deadly 32X, if you will.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah, I can't blame anyone on dropping X-Factor either. Peter David is the only writer I know that can take a team that's really interesting on paper, write excellent interactions between them, and then toss them into the most boring and bland overarcing stories ever. I love the dynamic between the characters and I love that he's flirting with advancing the "evil Doug" storyline but he really needs more interesting central plots to his arcs.

I imagine, like most Peter David stories, it'll be really interesting a year or so into it. The best and worst thing about the guy is that his runs end up being really, really long.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Scott shows remorse too. So no, there really isn't an in-universe difference for it.

Scott shows remorse that Xavier had to kick it, but not for his actions as a whole. I recall him being pretty clear on the ends-- new mutants-- justifying the means. Sort of like the difference between "I'm sorry I said something offensive" and "I'm sorry if you took offense at that".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

They had them trying to arrest Captain America before the law even came into effect. They also revealed that Tony hired people to make registration look better.

I don't think public relations is a crime.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Spiderdrake posted:

I really liked X-Factor. I didn't necessarily think Slott hosed Quicksilver up, characters go back and forth, but this is him moving forward. This book is a nice example of what canon can do.
Does anyone else get that taste in their throat at the end of a good issue when the last page reads "Next up: lovely crossover Hell!"

Not really, because it's been pretty obvious for awhile now that this book is a travelogue of Magneto's journey to becoming a super-villain again. Frankly, I'm delighted that they put this much effort and care into fleshing out his heel turn instead of just having him show up evil one day.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

(It's OK If A Republican Xavier Does It, basically)

The only moral mutant lobotomy is my mutant lobotomy!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Man, I really love this Nightcrawler book. It's just the perfect mix of silly adventures and silly melodrama that screams X-Men.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'll do you one better, and it's "Rockslide and Anole: Heroes for Hire".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

radlum posted:

Nazi Dinosaurs. Thanks Cullen Bunn, that was another great issue of Magneto.

Beginning to think I should track down this guy's past work, if it's on par with the stuff he's dishing out on Magneto.

Edit: My first foray into comics was, one Christmas, getting this big three ring binder full with Wolverine splashed over it full of Marvel stuff. Some issue of X-Factor with Madrox in a field(?) is my most enduring memory of the bunch.

Still have that thing somewhere, I should dig it out of storage.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I don't know how or why, but this contrived plot in Uncanny has actually hooked me really hard. Bendis is so weirdly inconsistent, but this is some good poo poo at this particular moment.

• Locked thread