Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dacap posted:

I'm actually thinking it'll be Willow on X-Force and not Uncanny now, Marvel put out a press release titled "Marvel Makes a Forceful Announcement on The View" for tomorrow

Well Force makes me think it's something Star Wars related. I don't think X-Force is really worthy of TV announcement but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

I wonder if there's an in universe reason for an all female team.

The giant Secret Wars logo is all the reason you need.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Buddington posted:

Actually, this article that was linked in another thread but maybe not this one mentions a post Secret Wars world called Arcadia that Wilson describes as "this feminist paradise" so maybe that ends up being one of the Battleworld continents or a post Secret Wars universe or something, I don't fuckin know.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/02/06/marvel-comics-a-force-female-avengers/22970157/

Arcadia is a Battleworld zone and part of Secret Wars.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wanderer posted:

I ended up liking Nightcrawler more than I thought I would. Todd Nauck doesn't get enough work.

I never read it because I don't give two shits about Nightcrawler, but I do enjoy Todd Nauck's art. Not enough to read a book I have no interest otherwise in though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The thing is that the inversion doesn't simply just make good guys bad and bad guys good as was better explained in the many tie-in books than it ever was in the actual event book. It takes a core part of that person's personality and switched it the opposite way. What it seemed to do with Alex was make him forsake the whole unity idea between mutants and humans which makes him more in line with Scott's way of thinking. He still clearly cared about Janet as he begged to let her survive and tried to secretly save her when they were going to set off the big bomb in Axis. Him using Janet to escape at the end of Axis was actually completely out of character with how he acted at the beginning of the very same issue and was probably just a ruse to get away. And she's not with him when he shows up at Scott's in the prologue anyway.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What I'm saying is I think it's Bendis choosing the most easily acceptable path of the ones available post an event that didn't even really have much consistency within itself. But we also have to remember the issue shows one conversation between them intercut with flashbacks, so we really have no idea which way it's going. I'm hoping for them just being buddies now but it could easily go a completely different way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sorvah posted:

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm losing my mind...

I'm trying to get hold of the X-Factor comics, mostly from the Madrox stuff onwards but I wouldn't mind from the originals. I've tried various legal and illegal means but searching the internet for anything X-Factor is annoying as hell thanks to a certain tv reality show. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It might be on Marvel Unlimited. Someone can chime in on that I'm sure. As for your other legal recourse outside of hitting up comic stores, book stores, or ebay they are also available on Comixology.

https://www.comixology.com/X-Factor-2005-2013/comics-series/1131

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As far as crossover go it's actually good in that it doesn't have a huge effect and everyone that's tied into it actually has a storyline reason for being tied into it. I'd say it's a template for how most crossovers should be done because it's usually the big ones that cause the most problems.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chinaman7000 posted:

Wow what the gently caress happened to the Cyclops series. I stopped following it but really enjoyed it.

You mean in that art? Well the Black Vortex is an item that basically gives the user cosmic powers. They got stuck in a jam and used it against better judgment to upgrade themselves. Several of the characters have used it so far including the ones above along with Gamora, Angel, and Beast.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spider-Man and the X-Men is great. It's fun seeing Pete get a dose of his own medicine in the form of having to deal with a bunch of smart rear end powered teenagers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jiro posted:

So if I'm reading this correctly the time displaced teenager Scott Summers is now an augmented adult careening through space? By something that's essentially the SPACE Siege Perilous? What happens to the rest of the team? I seriously do not like these pocket Bendis events.

Iceman (in that same panel) and Angel have also been powered up. And as mentioned this is actually a fun little event. Also this isn't really a Bendis event, he's just written the issues of his books that crossover into it. It started in the Star Lord book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm a big Bendis fan, I love this series, and while I've not seen the panels in question and won't until the book comes out this all sounds really dumb in theory. I'll wait until I've actually read the issue and gotten the full story of what's going on though before I comment more as I really need some actual context and not just a random leaked page or more accurately people's thoughts on a random leaked page.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Saoshyant posted:

It's the first that came to mind. Cheapening a recent character death, because it's comics is lovely enough but that laissez-faire attitude about it was just filth.

I don't know this story. Which comic was this on?

Cyclops. A great series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How long has the actual Jean Grey been dead now? Over a decade now isn't it?

Saoshyant posted:

That's Greg Rucka's, though. The guy was making it a point that Bendis addressed that retcon properly, which, surprise surprise, he didn't. Of course Rucka would have to address why one of his main characters was alive and kicking when he shouldn't.

The point he was making was that the details of the resurrection of Corsair didn't matter in the moment when he showed back up. And he's right, it didn't. It was addressed later in full as it should have been.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Saoshyant posted:

And my point was that it's pretty disrespectful to completely disregard anything written previously that didn't fit into Bendis' ill conception of what a plot should be. Hell, I also said that was the first detail I remember like that. How do people feel about Xavier marrying Mystique? Or X23 apparently pulling a 180º on her incapacity to deal with human emotions going from having a out of nowhere crush on young Scout to suddenly telling Warren to bring her to a night club and suddenly being a couple afterwards? Or Dark Beast returning from AoA for no good reason? Or a bunch of other retarded stuff that many a time reads like bad fanfiction, but to the guy feel like amazing ideas that are going to be such shocking twists.

By another writer. This argument only makes sense if it had been Bendis himself addressing it, even if it was on Guardians of the Galaxy or whatever.

You act like the other writer picked up the story a year later. It happened within a month or two after. They obviously planned it out so the other writer would pick up that plot line. How Corsair resurrected didn't matter at all at the time because they were in the middle of trying to rescue Jean. As soon as that wrapped up the Cyclops series started and the first arc is about that. Bendis knew Rucka was doing the series and Rucka knew that Bendis was bringing Corsair back. If Corsair disappeared for a year without any reference to it all you might have a point. But since the plot was immediately picked up you don't. It being a different writer in a different series doesn't matter at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think Bendis will be following up anything. Isn't tomorrow his last issue?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The thing in All New X-Men wasn't as bad as I'd been made to believe but it still makes zero sense. It's definitely one of those "We'll have to wait and see" things. On the other hand the end of Black Vortex was awesome and really shocking and I can't wait for that spin off book now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I was really bored by the first couple issues of Black Vortex and didn't bother reading the rest of it. Mind spoiling what the end is?

Well they wrap up the rest of the story pretty quickly and then Gamora and Angel both decided to keep their cosmic powers while the rest (Beast, Cylcops, Iceman, Groot, and Kitty) gave them up. And then the majority of the rest of the issue deals with the relationship between Peter and Kitty and Peter proposes to Kitty and they all celebrate. So Peter and Kitty are now engaged and are going to have space adventures together after Kitty has gotten over her fear of space.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deadpool posted:

Well they wrap up the rest of the story pretty quickly and then Gamora and Angel both decided to keep their cosmic powers while the rest (Beast, Cylcops, Iceman, Groot, and Kitty) gave them up. And then the majority of the rest of the issue deals with the relationship between Peter and Kitty and Peter proposes to Kitty and they all celebrate. So Peter and Kitty are now engaged and are going to have space adventures together after Kitty has gotten over her fear of space.

I saw someone else talking about this and apparently I missed a couple of very key things on my read through Kitty Pryde does not give up her cosmic powers either. She's all blue at one point but after she's not so I assumed she gave it up but she didn't. Also it mentions that the ones that do give it up also take on some kind of change in exchange for rejecting the gift. It can be a good or bad change. Iceman and Groot are changed physically in that they both look different. Iceman has his ice form and Groot looks a bit more streamlined. Cyclops and Beast both undergo changes that are not physical. Storm immediately tells Jean not to scan Cyclops for any mental changes but she says it's too late. She says whatever changed in him is not in his mind but it in his heart, whatever that means. Also rejecting the power apparently puts you on the shitlist of the Celestial that created the Black Vortex so they've all gotta deal with that somewhere down the road.

With all these things to keep in mind I would not be surprised if Humphries is going to be the one to take over the X-Men books after Bendis as he's set a number of things into motion here.

X-O fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 22, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bendis is only writing one more issue so I imagine whoever comes on the book next is going to be the one exploring it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think it was pretty clear from the conversation that Jean has known this for a while but she's just now saying something. I don't think it's from the Black Vortex at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As disinterested as I am in most core X-Men things I love Colossus and his run gave us Colossus back so I'll always like it for that in particular.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Lemire doesn't do character, and Hopeless doesn't do not awful.

Well this entire post is just bullshit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I say kill all the older versions of the X-Men and leave the younger ones. I'm much more interested in them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Squizzle posted:

Now, :siren: I literally never read any of AXIS and am just talking out of my rear end :siren: but the promotion around it emphasized that the central flip-flop wasn't a good/evil toggle, but an inversion of some core aspect of each person's personality. Trying not to become Apocalypse is a significant piece of Evan's character; flipping that around gives you an Evan who thinks that being Apocalypse is :krad:. Does AXIS support that reading?

Yes and no depending on what you read. The main series explained it poorly but tie-ins covered that more. Some were as simple as going from good to evil, but others like Deadpool for example went from being violent to forsaking violence. He was still a good guy though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never really followed X-23 that much but I loved the first issue today. My second favorite Marvel book after Ultimates.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It was definitely a flashback.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Good, Rucka and Layman made young Scott more likable and interesting in 12 issues than anyone made old Scott in the last 12 years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

I miss Kong

He's a supporting character in Starbrand and Nightmask.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

I wish that comic didn't leave me feeling completely disinterested in reading any more.

I felt completely the opposite. I went in expecting it to kind of be just ok and I ended up loving it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a terrible book out there that tries to explain all the X-Men's powers in lovely pseudo science ways. I checked it out of the library like 15 years ago because I figured why not. It was really bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Double posting for worthwhile rumors!

So not only is Marvel NOT killing the X-Men line off but the rumor mill insists that if they don't announce it at SDCC it will be at NYCC that original flavor Wolverine will return from the dead next spring and exist alongside OML and Laura. And a Gambit ongoing AND full X-Men line revitalization with multiple solo books. There will be a catalyst for all of this sometime this winter.

All rumors but it supports that Marvel is not junking the line.

Sorry, you must be mistaken. That kind of news won't generate traffic so it must not be true.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Goldballs is awesome and pairing him with Miles and Ganke was a great idea.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So Franklin totally hosed up after Secret Wars and forgot about the time displaced X-Men didn't he? I imagine he created a whole other X-Men in the past and that's why they can't go back. Dammit Franklin after this and Jessica Jones and Ultimates 2 it's clear that you're not paying attention to the details.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've never really been into X-Men that much over the years, mostly just a series here and there, but I really love everything with the younger X-Men so far and the last issue of All-New was no exception. I like that they can't go back because I don't want them to go back. I don't think I've been this invested in those particular characters ever really. Also I loved most of X-Men Prime today so that's weird because I think now I'm going to end up reading most of the X-Men line which is unfathomable to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

There was a bit of whiplash with Scott and Jean going "nope we're not ever getting together!" and Angel saying how he was with Laura, then Prime sets up a Scott/Jean/Angel love triangle.

All-New made it pretty explicit that Scott wasn't as down with the decision as Jean seemed to be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

Then that just makes him a creepy nice guy goon and that's probably not what you want to do with a character that the company wants to "rehabilitate."

No that just makes him a guy that still likes a girl he's always had feelings for. There's nothing creepy about having feelings for someone. I mean it's Scott and Jean. They'll eventually end up together because that's just what happens.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr President posted:

Kamala needs to meet a nice Pakastani boy

Yeah, I wonder why you wouldn't want that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Some of the baggage you can't escape. Like Hank doing stupid poo poo. Only this time it's magic and not science. Which I love. Hank having so little understanding and diving in head first is going to gloriously backfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr President posted:

because I'm pakastani and know what the culture is like in real life unlike you?

No, I was thinking more that at best you have this strict rigidness to want things the way they were in comics when you were a kid and are super resistant to any kind of change whatsoever no matter how unimportant. That's the best reading one could take of the majority of your posts in this forum.

• Locked thread