Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Wolverine doesn't sit down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I remember being a kid and trying to wrap my head around the Siege Perilous, where it came from, how it worked, why it worked that way and always failing. I always just assumed there was some issue out there that I hadn't read. As I got older and filled in my X-men collection I realized that Claremont had simply painted himself into a corner with Fall of the Mutants and the Outback Era and needed a Deus Ex Machina for a magic out.

It also doesn't help that anything with Roma and Saturnyne gets immediately ejected from my head... Seriously, gently caress those characters...

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

She's slept with at least Tony and Namor according to random Dark Reign books... She probably did Sebastion Shaw and Magneto too... but probably not Pierce or Leland.

Edit: I just realized waterhaul is probably going to shut this discussion down.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Knucklebear posted:

6. X-Factor and X-Force feel like the most complete titles and the ones that I enjoy reading the most (even though I hate Cable due to Liefeld PTSD). These also seem to have the least crossover with the X universe which probably isn't a coincidence.

This is how you do it. These are the two good books. Just read them.

As far as continuity, each book happens in it's own Microcosm as it's own story until they fit or don't. Stop thinking too hard about it, it ruins the fun.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Hope is an active main character in x-force, she's just in the body of another character. Idie was a big character in Jason Aaron's WatX has she been dropped since LaTour took over?

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

genghis.khan posted:

House Of M - really drat good
What?

pharmer posted:

Uncanny X-men Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire was really good.
What the gently caress?

What bizarro BSS am I in?

E: Beaten by Rhyno while I tried to figure out how to quote 2 posts in Awful

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I hear X-Treme X-Men is pretty tight.

Is it as good as The Draco? I have high standards!

E: I keep getting beat in my jokes :(

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

genghis.khan posted:

What's wrong with House Of M, my friend? I thought the setting was very interesting

It's not wrong, it's just a Bendis event. It goes on to long and goes nowhere, it's resolved by a dues ex machina. It's just a piece of fluff. I don't think I've ever seen someone head over heels for it. It's just mediocre and there are so many better X books.

I guess if you like Bendis' take on the X-men you can try Uncanny and All New, personally I think they are dire, but the only X-men I'm reading now is X-force and X-factor.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

They are married in X-men:The End by Claremont.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Fantomax so crazy.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

Haha, did nobody catch this or were you all just too polite to call me retarded?

I thought you were being ironic.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

A lot of writers could learn from Spurrier, he did a great job with the characters in X-force, I think the secret was the shifting perspective that spent a little time on each of the characters giving them a chance to grow and shine each.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Rick posted:

But yeah it really is a lot to go through. I feel like you can start at Dark Phoenix Saga (and like a little before it), read the issue after, then skip everything until Cyclops comes back, then read 20 issues after that and really have the charactarization that's kind of the "standard" for these characters. Then if you want more of what I feel like is good Claremont, read Days of Future Past (constantly referenced), God Loves Man Kills, X-Men: Asgardian Wars (I feel like this is the story where it's easiest to decide if you care about the Madeline Pryor can of worms or not), Mutant Massacre, Inferno (optional,mostly, unless you decided to want to see how the Madeline thing worked itself, but overall kind of bad), X-Tinction Agenda (might want to skim through some of X-Men in the Outback for some context to this), and The Muir Island Saga (just to see how he wrapped everything up).

Those story lines are also all collected unlike the first weird San Francisco era with Spider-woman, and most of the outback era, which I love, because it's where I started reading comics, but most people can skip.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

That ones just the city not the world.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

The last season of doctor who says no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Next thing you know they'll kill a founding X-Man off panel.

Oh wait...

They should kill off all of the X-men off panel in an alien or predator crossover issue. Stormwatch Style!

• Locked thread