Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Christmas Jones posted:

Lookit that Xavier, preaching integration and understanding. Tribalist strike forces are the new hotness.

I'm hoping it's just hype, though. The Red Skull ate his brain, and that wasn't even the worst assault to his dignity compared to Deadly Genesis. Let the man have some peace.

Looking back, I'm surprised they didn't use the Skull as an X-Villain more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Is the Siege Perilous ever explained in detail?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

As was said, Magic Hole. Has its origins (as with so much of Claremont's stuff) in the Marvel UK books.

(Semi-)Short form: you go through the Siege Perilous, you pop out somewhere else 'reborn' - you have a new life, typically with no memory of your old one. Apparently reality just gets edited to insert you someplace and you've always been there, like. You're physically unchanged (Psylocke becoming Asian was later explained as something else, not an effect of the Siege Perilous itself), and you retain your powers. When multiple people go through at the same time - even multiple 'selves' in a single body, like Rogue/Ms.Marvel('s brain) - Odd Things happen (see: Nimrod and Master Mold becoming Bastion; Rogue and Ms. Marvel('s brain) getting separate bodies but sharing a single 'life force' so they had to fight over it, et cetera.

Didn't Claremont say (in writing) that those who enter are judged? Judged by whom?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I guess that makes as much sense as the Uncanny run I'm on on Comixology.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

I'm not sure what gives you that impression, it was all fairly clearly plotted/planned from the get-go.

Yeah.

Everything about the Outback Era was really done over the long haul. The table in the control room or whatever had each X-Man's face on it, serving as a checklist (to Havok, anyway) of the X-Men who've died, and who's remaining.

Getting everybody into the Siege Perilous set the stage for the Reavers/Wolverine showdown, and the Reavers had been planning to attack over several issues.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gavok posted:

And when he's walking in on Deadpool beating the poo poo out of Crossbones.

I remember seeing panels from that. What issue was it?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Shockeh posted:

There should be a standard rule that no Marvel comic ever should feature a character in tentacles. The connotations are just cringeworthy.

I think we've all wondered about May and Otto's potential wedding night.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Skwirl posted:

It's definitely not the only reason, but the fact that kids can't afford to buy their own comics is a huge factor in kids not buying comics. I got into Spider-Man when it had as many titles as X-men and if it weren't for fact that my dad foolishly bought into the comic boom there's no way my parents would have been willing to pay that much a month to keep up with them (Clone Saga).

My parents definitely made it clear that I didn't get to get a toy every time we went to the store, but they were fine if I ever asked for a comic book. Part of it was that comics were super cheap in the 80s, it meant that me reading it gave them some quiet, and they really really wanted me to read as much as I wanted. I got plenty of comics and traditional books.

Are comics too expensive for parents?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

We had parents drop their kid in our store and he wandered off and they found him in a Wal-Mart hours later. And once a kid left alone and he wiped out and cracked his head on the tile.

I'd love to put a "no unsupervised children" sign up but we get so many kids in on their own and they spend every penny they have in their pockets. It's so stressful.

Get a cardboard stand-up of Thor or Batman or something, and tape a little word bubble to his head that says: "Attention Parents: We are not babysitters."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

If you like X-Men t-shirts, https://www.riptapparel.com/ has a neat one for a few more hours.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

HIJK posted:

gently caress YOU MICKEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXx0pk9EthI

:smith:

At least we still have JL8.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I mean, I'm sympathetic but that guy went in knowing that the X-Men were owned by Disney who are notorious for protecting their IP.

Luckily, there's been so much good X-universe film, TV, and animated content to hold us over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

There was supposed to be a huge push for "ugly" or "gross" mutants back in the 90's several times. The first one gave us Chamber, Skin and Husk who even though she was a hot blonde her power was gross. Later we got Random and and Maggot and even later Beak and the new Angel.

I feel like it was implied, whether in the cartoon, movie, or 80s/90s comics, that only a small percentage of the world's mutants actually had powers.

In one episode of the 90s cartoon, the Friends of Humanity harass a mutant couple who are odd-looking, but don't have any powers.

Was that true across all mediums, or just a conclusion I drew myself?

• Locked thread