Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Generally speaking you don't get to rename children you rescue. It's a good idea to let them keep their original name, so they have something of their biological parent(s) to hold on to.

Alternative comedic answer: She was a huge man of late 90's PC First person shooters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogo:_Mobile_Armor_Division
Were they still calling them "first person action Doom-clones" at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doom was just a Wolfensteinclone, anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wish they had kept that team around longer, but I get that a completely dysfunctional team isn't going to last long at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

Didn't Claremont say (in writing) that those who enter are judged? Judged by whom?

Magic

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Claremont really thought Psylocke was pretty special. I've been reading his early issues and every time she appears it's like "an Asian... with a British accent!!???"
Yeah, but foreign Claremont characters have mental illnesses where they intersplice random words from their own language into English, so the fact that she doesn't say "sayonara" or whatever every third word is a huge change for him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

You mean she randomly put in British slang?

"My psycic knife is the focused totality of my bloody telepathic powers"

Man, that would be rough.

(Scene: Psylock in Beast's office.)

Hank: Betsy, I've run the tests and I've got some bad news.
You've come back positive for Dick Van Dyke Disease or D.V.D.D.

Psylock: Stone the crows! You mean I've got the disease where I randomly speak like a charactature of another nation?

Hank: I'm afraid so.

Psylock: Is there nothing you can do me old china?

Hank: That's the worst part. The only doctor in the world who can treat the disease is Dr. Mark Sloan. And because you have the British variant of D.V.D.D, he doesn't see any problem with it.

Psylock: Oh bollocks.

Her language is English.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

I pretty much try to view Morrison's run in a self-contained bubble and don't try to apply the ret-ret-retcons that happened afterwards. It's pretty funny how everyone loved Xorn and what a great teacher and inspiration he was to all these kids, if only Mags would just drop the angry old militant mutant act.

sidenote: Didn't Claremont or Austen come up with the twin Xorns or something afterwards, before Bendis tried to clean it up?

So, first it was revealed that Xorn was actually Xorn pretending to be Magneto pretending to be Xorn being controlled by Sublime because we can't have a dead Magneto nor can we have a genocidal Magneto. Then Xorn's twin brother Xorn appeared.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Any excuse to post this gif is a good excuse.

I think most people would agree Marvel went down the shitter when Disney bought them. Everything turned into a platform to launch movies instead of letting the movies happen naturally. There's no room for new risky things, because everything needs to be safe with some way of turning it into yet another profitable PC movie.
I don't think Disney buying Marvel in 2009 had much of an affect on comics written half a decade prior.

And no, I don't think most people think that at all given that Marvel's been putting out a lot of great stuff since 2009. The Avengers franchise doesn't even remotely resemble what is being shown on-screen other than some character.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Why? Cornell's run has been boring. You know that at the end their will be some twist that will bring him back. There is no way that Wolverine will be dead for longer than 6 months. It will be Fear Itself all over again.

Will you eat the comic he returns in if it lasts longer than 6 months?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Heaven forbid that the next creative team might have to make a convincing plot before they set up their own status quo.

I mean, he ended his Daredevil run with Matt Murdock in loving jail. Yet he basically made his entire Avengers run absolutely meaningless by the time he was finished.
I actually wish Marvel or DC would do a DC Challenge-style book in modern times, but I realize that's incredibly wishful thinking given modern production times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Wasn't Countdown like that?

Not intentionally...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Suben posted:

I'll contend that it's worse than anything Austen wrote. There's at least some kind of logic, stupid as it might be, in something like The Draco and you can kind of see what Austen was doing.
:stare:

The story where Azazel comes to to Earth to impregnate women so they can make babies so he can come to Earth?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

If you like X-Men t-shirts, https://www.riptapparel.com/ has a neat one for a few more hours.

Cool. Just what I needed. More t-shirts.

(Ordered.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-Cutioner's Song is terrible and you shouldn't read it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Okay, the X-Cutioner's Song rollerblade epilogue was dumb fun, and I guess I liked the bit with Cannonball asking some small town if they knew where any bad guys were hiding out.

It also led to X-Force fighting War Machine on Cable's space station in the Battle of the 90's, so I guess that counts for something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Since someone mentioned it earlier, is Assault on Greymalkin worth a read? I haven't read any of that X-Force stuff since I was a kid, but I generally like Fabian Nicieza as a writer and Cable as a character.
It's not terrible, but I wouldn't spend a lot on it. I *think* it also the issue where they make new costumes in the Magic Alien Costume Machine the X-Men keep in their basement and then the most heavy-handed metaphor imaginable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

He has a pretty terrible name.

Like if you called Cyclops, laserface, or Wolverine Clawy McHealy.

You know what? Wolverine should be called Clawy McHealy.
:thejoke:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

d00gZ posted:

(Teen Titans v3 #69)

The loss of The Face is truly the greatest sin of the New 52.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not really. I dropped it after a couple issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Web Jew.0 posted:

66 issues of Claremont's X-Men run are on sale with Comixology. Would you guys recommend it?
Ehhhhh. It's the tail end of Claremont's original run which was definitely not his best work and Jim Lee's creative influence starts to come through, as well, which isn't really for the best, either. This is the bit where Psylocke returns as a sexy Asian ninja and Gambit debuts. The pack is also missing the New Mutants issues of X-Tinction Agenda so you're not even getting a complete story there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unmature posted:

How well does Warren Ellis's Astonishing X-Men stand up to Whedon's?

I think Whedon's X-Men is one of the best runs ever and am a huge fan of Ellis, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

It's loving terrible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

radlum posted:

Didn't the other guys shame Tony for being with Madame Masque? I think someone described her as female Doctor Doom or something like that. I remember that issue; it was funny.
Tony describes her as looking like Dr. Doom because no one else knew who she was. They all questioned why he would sleep with Dr. Doom.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Why isn't Soule writing the Wolverine ongoing? Much better than the poo poo writer on it currently.

"poo poo" is generally not how Paul Cornell is described.

His Wolverine isn't very good, I'll grant.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They both like redheads, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

Does anybody else listen to Rachel & Miles X-Plain the X-Men? I started listening to them shortly after they started (I think I began with the episode where they had Greg Rucka on to talk about Cyclops). I enjoy the podcast, though they're still in the phase of Claremont's run which is, generally speaking, uncontroversially well-liked, so I'm looking forward to see what they'll have to say as they proceed.

I just found out about this and listened to the first episode and am looking forward to more. It seems fun.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If early Kitty "looks Jewish" it's because she was originally drawn by John Byrne who is more than a little racist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure Byrne has drawn many hookers in his lifetime.

By "drawn" I mean "hired," of course.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

What was the Hickman Avengers reveal about where the X-Men were ending up? I remember reading it, but it's been awhile and I don't have the issue handy.
Cyclops is running "X-Nation" and is at least talking with Beast again. It was like two pages.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just hope we get a "Trapped in a Closet" parody out of this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

If the most recent X-Ongoing I've read was Whedon's run, and I wanted to read All New X-Men from #1, what should I read beforehand to put Cyclops into context as an aspiring villain?

Don't.

But if you must, read Schism, I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably not Bendis that's behind.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Angel's bones are supposedly hollow. Wolverine had adamantium grafted to them. Uh, that's all I can think of.

Shark Girl's might be cartilage!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New comics pop up after 6 months now, if that matters. I don't have it, but I'm pretty sure you can search their database on the apps even without a subscription to see if they have what you want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's weird that the last post in an X-Men thread was a week ago. Anyway, I just want to rant.

I finally got around to reading the last issue of Cyclops, which I got on Comixology not realizing it was Chapter 10 of Black Vortex, a crossover I'm not reading. As is to be expected, it drops you in the middle of a story, but I can deal with that.

It start with Young Cyclops, Young Iceman, and Groot (he might be young, too, since as I recall he regrew not too long ago) trapped in Space Jail which they, of course, manage to escape because the power inhibitors only *inhibit* their powers but don't completely remove them. I guess they were knockoffs from Space China. Anyway, they run into all the Evil Space Pirates (not to be confused with the Starjammers who are Good Space Pirates) then run the opposite direction because they're still weakened by the power inhibitors. They find the Black Vortex, which is a thing that gives you Real Ultimate Cosmic Power if you submit to it. They don't really indicate that submitting to it has any downside other than Young Cyclops throwing out some cliches like "with great power comes great responsibility" and "absolute power corrupts absolutely," (not jokes, he actually says those) but they ultimately decide it's better than being dead after Young Cyclops gets a telepathic message from Young Jean and Corsair saying he totally won't turn into Dark Phoenix or something like Dead Jean and Old Cyclops did. Young Iceman turns into a Space Elf, Young Cyclops becomes a Space Golden God, and Maybe-Young Groot becomes Groot, But Bigger. They fight their way out of the Evil Space Pirate spaceship and the series ends with Space Golden God Young Cyclops flying off into space.

As part of a story I wasn't at all invested in, it was actually decent with a beginning, middle, and end with some nice art, but man, what a lovely way to end what was a pretty fun series focusing on the relationship of a son and the father he didn't know until then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here is Cyclops, Iceman, and Groot

Here is how the Cyclops series ended.

Cyclops #12

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's lovely that it makes you lose your nose, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

You guys made this sound bad, but it actually looks fun as hell?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

It's honestly not awful, and I'd have probably liked it if it was just an event book, but me and I assume the other poster also are just bummed that it's the final issue of a really fun series. Like, it doesn't feel like a fitting last issue, you know? :shobon: The context is what dulls it for me. That, and the fact that I'm not really feeling the rest of the event, which is poorly paced and meandering so far.
Yeah, exactly this. I even said in my rant that it was a decent story, it was just a bad way to end a series I was enjoying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jiro posted:

So if I'm reading this correctly the time displaced teenager Scott Summers is now an augmented adult careening through space? By something that's essentially the SPACE Siege Perilous? What happens to the rest of the team? I seriously do not like these pocket Bendis events.
I'm assuming this will get undone by the end of the crossover, but who knows? I assume this will be followed up with in All New X-Men, which I'm not reading.

(Also they don't seem to lose their memory, so it's not *quite* Space Siege Perilous.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The one where Cap is a werewolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe Bobby is actually Mormon

• Locked thread