Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TwoPair posted:

Oh what? Son of a bitch, that was one of my favorite books. I'm a total sucker for both team-ups and anthologies, so it was like, perfect for me.

Yea exactly. It was a nice sandbox team up book, while not all the stories were great (Magik and Thor) over all it was a fun book with some geniunly good moments and pretty funny quite a lot of the time.

Whoa...spy secrets.

Speaking of the Trial of Jean Grey, has there only been 1 All new and 1 GoG issue released in that storyline? It feels like forever since they came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

All-New X-Men is really fun.

I really enjoy 60s Bobby's reaction to modern times.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I liked WatXM. I just can't get enough of Eye Boy.

Uncanny X-men, since I saw the cover, I assumed it was Black Widow because it was a womans hand and she is the only one I can think of that uses guns. It actually being Kitty made it a lot more interesting, though the timing is confusing.

Magik teleported Kitty before the BftA storyline so she could work out her issues with Scott, but then returned to Jean Grey, then after BftA went with Scott later. Is that right?

One thing about the issue, the artwork was really consistent. Not the paneling being based on Scotts messed up eyebeams, as that gave the whole thing a very psychedelic feel, but that there seemed to be no consistent modeling on the characters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want to know what Old Scott thinks about Young Scott's thing with X-23.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, sometimes you can barely tell if someone is supposed to be the blonde Cuckoo, Emma or Magik. Not just this issue either.

Doesn't help that Emma and Magik wear very similar tops either. And that they have inconsistent hairstyles.

Magik has those weird Sif style wings on her head.

And I actually like Bachalo's artwork, but as many people have pointed out, he has zero ability to draw women that had different face, and his ubiquitous :stare: face when something surprising happens.

And I don't have any problem with Kitty and Illyana being friends again because we know Illyana is trying to not be completely bonkers (i assume she's still seeing Dr Strange in the past) and reaching out to someone as grounded as Kitty. Probably also why Scott is spending lots of time with her, he needs someone who has their head screwed on tight because he knows he's a fuckup but is smart enough to know he needs someone that can prevent him from loving up even more.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was cool seeing Magik actually do magic. Also, that's really dark whats happened to Dazzler.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What is the last thing in Uncanny Avengers you read?

Pretty much, the Apoc Twins take Scarlet Witch and Wonderman to their ship. They say "hey Wanda, the Humans are going to exterminate us all, you should bring all the Mutants to our ship, and we can gently caress off. Oh plus a Celestial is coming to destroy the Earth". Wanda talks it out with Simon, they bang, and she tells Simon that yea she'll bring all the Mutants to the ship, so they can form an army of Mutants and take down the twins.

Cap, Rogue, WOlverine, Wasp, Sunfire, Thor and Havok come to the ship, fight it out with the Horsemen. Rogue grabs Logans powers and runs off planning on stopping Wanda, and Logan tells her "don't kill Wanda, just stop her" and Rogue, being a giant bitch about the whole thing ignore that advice, and snicks Wanda as she's casting her spell. Wonder Man sacrifices himself to give Wanda the power to complete the spell and Bam, all the mutants are aboard the ship. Unfortunately, because Wanda is dead, she can't free everyone so they're stuck in stais. Grim Reaper kills Rogue just after she stabs Wanda. While this is going on, Wasp goes tot he bowels of the ship to take down the device the Twins have to prevent anyone from time traveling, so Kang can't stop whats going on, because he can't rule the earth if its destroyed. Cap is captured, Thor is sucked out into space and the mutants on the team are locked away like the rest. The twins gloat over Cap as the Celestial Executioner shows up.

On the earth, everyone's trying to stop the destruction, Strange and a bunch of heroes go to directly fight, while Tony, Reed, Doom and Hulk are trying to build a planetary shield. They all fail and die.

Thor gets back on the poo poo, frees cap, the two of them beat the crap out of the Horsemen and Twins. Thor opens a portal and shoves the male twin into the sun. Thor fights the female twin and it looks like he crushes her under some wreckage. He grabs his Axe, which Loki enchanted ages ago to destroy celestials (because Apocalypse had embarassed Thor in the 10th century). He goes out into space, but the female twin shows up and again they throw it down. ALl of this The twins are taunting Thor about how no matter what he does its pointless, and Thor just responses with "I CARE NOT".

Wasp gets to the machine, but Horseman Grim Reaper shows up, but Cap shows up and fights him, is killed. The Celestial destroys earth and Thor is on the moon crying, when Odin says "Welp, that sucked, but your face called and it needs to be picked up. There's Asgard stuff we need to do"

That's about it, all we know is Jan is the only human that's for sure alive, all the mutants (save Wanda and Rogue) are in the Apoc twins ship, which is heading for a new planet. The female twin is still alive as far as I know.

It sounds crazy, because it kinda is. I think I remembered most of it. From what I read, as soon as Wanda started her spell/Rogue stabbed her, it became a new universe, a Rememerverse if you will.

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

Seriously. I'm also really surprised they didn't censor Mystique's dialogue in some parts.

Gonna echo that Bendis is seriously slacking in the delivery of any progress between the team and shield. With Magneto gone too I don't know that I'll care to go on with this book. The humor was pretty lame this issue too.

I was wondering what you mean about her language being censored, then realized she was throwing Whore and bitch around a lot. I can't wait until Scott finds out what happens to her and really goes apeshit on her. But Yea, its like New Avengers, please advance the story! You've got everything in place, just knock that first domino down. At least it looks like Scott's had enough and is sick of waiting around so hopefully next issue will start something. Also i hope they reveal the maker of the Sentinels.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 20, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

HUGE thanks to Twisted for the summary. You've sold me on this book. (My wallet hates you.)

It meanders a bit at the start, but once it starts in on full crazy mode it doesn't stop. I'd say this is one of the most bad rear end Thor moments I've read outside his solo book (which is metal as gently caress).

quote:

The Goldballs jokes got a smirk and eye roll out of me but, it was specifically the pants soiling bits that were just annoying.

I can't wait for Magneto's next issue and thank you all for convincing me on Legacy #300... I teared up.

The 14 year old boy in me thought it was funny, but it also likes Emma's inner side boob a lot too, so its a bad person.

Gold Balls has a GOLD BALL on his costume. Seriously?

Aphrodite posted:

Scott already made the decision to go after SHIELD in All New, so this issue was mostly pointless.

Yea, but this time he REALLY MEANS IT!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jean's been dead for quite a while hasn't she?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Metal Loaf posted:

Is Moira McTaggart still dead? Has Banshee come back yet?

Is being turned into a Horsemen count?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What happened with Hope? She was the most important person ever for at least a year, and now I have no idea what book she's in now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess thats better than having her actually be Jean reborn so Scott got all creepy on her as a baby.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey, Scott hasn't gone creepy on teenage Jean. Give him some credit!

This is true, but then Scott is in a weird place right now lady wise. Wait until he finds out about his younger selfs thing for X-23.

Speaking of that, I do love the brief interactions Jean and Rachael have had.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sentinel Red posted:

So Jean is now scarier and more powerful than ever because [Bendis]. Ooooooookay then. Still, I can't deny I enjoyed her kicking the poo poo out of Gladiator, and Scott's father and son Space Fishing Bonding Session should be fun.

There has to be a support group for people who's powers go out of control.

Wonder Man probably hosts them, started out for him just to spend time with Wanda because he's creepy that way.

I liked Drax and X-23 going " I like your knife boots" "they're built in" "awesome".

And at least they had the sense to show that X-23 is upset that Scott is leaving. Someone remembered "hey didn't we start a romance between these two?"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want to see Magik cut a demons head off while riding a motorcycle!

Also Kurt and Cap teamup would be great, though one panel I had no idea who they were talking about was "A Tortured Soul becomes an icon". I think its supposed to be Wanda, but I have no idea what the image was supposed to be showing.

The guy Hank was talking to I thought was going to be a future traveling Professer X.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah one gigantic hypocrite being lectured by another is not my idea of a good comic, although the Peter and Kitty story almost redeemed it.

It's Kurt's...or Cable's...its been a weird year.

I'd also very much like to see Kitty wear a "I am not Daredevil" shirt.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been reading the Morrison Xmen run and its really loving good.

Though I'm confused about Phantomex, what was all that stuff he takes Prof X and Jean through? an illusion? It's stated he's the other Weapon that was being transported, but how does he have all this stuff, and a life as complex as it was shown if he didn't exist until recently.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 10, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Saoshyant posted:

Phantomex starts a bit weird and convulted, as a homage to French character Fantômas. He is later expanded on as having misdirection mutant powers, that his birth place "The World" runs on a much faster rate of time, and that his mother figure is just a construct. It is never explained how he amassed such a huge collection of antiques, weapons, etc though and it is left ambigous if any of that is real or not.

That makes a bit more sense than what was presented in the comic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just read the Riot issues, and holy poo poo, that was messed up. Poor Sophie, and poor Quentin as well. He's just a dorky telepath, then finds out he's adopted and bam, turns into a drug addeled magneto wannabe that is literally killing people directly and indirectly.

I am kind of bummed that I know Xorn is going to be a bad guy, because he's actually pretty cool currently in the story.

The who shot the White Queen storyline is really good as well, I'm not done it but I love the delving into Emma's past and looking at what made her into the White Queen and why she joined the Xmen. Though I had no idea that Wolverine was such a manwhore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hope and vaseline posted:

Don't know how much you know about the twist, but when it happens, go back and read the part where Xorn is trying to "save" Quentin. It's bloody chilling.

All I know about Xorn being a bad guy is he eventually kills the current Jean, which I assume happens in this run. That scene already had something off by it. There's a lot of hints about Xorn being not on the up and up, though it really seems like his friendship with Scott is genuine.

This is some of the best Xmen I've read. Its so far ahead of everything that we are getting right now, and its on par with a lot of super classic Claremont stuff. But then it is Grant Morrison, who I think is one of the best comic writers currently along with Moore and Ellis.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So Xorn never existed, and was Magneto the whole time, but he was being controlled by Sublime? Yikes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

E the Shaggy posted:

Don't try to find logic in it, your head will explode (you haven't even gotten to how the Scarlet Witch was somehow involved in it).

It makes enough comic book sense. But, oh man, more hosed up Wanda related stuff.

And Kick was actually just Sublime. Which is kind of scary considering that Sublime is kind of a good guy in Adjectiveless now. I guess his sister is just that bad.

It also made the future Brotherhood Xorn/Jean more meaningful. Xorn was a good person on the surface, but was evil underneath.

With Magneto, I always figured his idea was not to kill all humans, but to make sure Mutants were on top and running the show, because that was the only way mutants would be truly safe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SirDan3k posted:

Wanda constantly bringing her father back and trying to "fix" him is probably the best explanation. But I'm in the small camp that turning Magneto into a hero is toothless bullshit that takes away any moral dilemma and makes the X-Men a safe brand where you don't have to question anything.

Yea, I always liked when Magneto and Charles were just two sides of the same coin, how they both had the same goal, just vastly different paths and morality.

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, so remember when Xorn was trying to save Quentin? Go back and re-read it now.

Magneto does loving nothing, makes up some bullshit about "oh wait no it's really a secondary mutation!", and just lets the kid die.

Oh yea, i went back and read that and was "whoa...that was cold, but everyone thinks Xorn is some healer and just accepts that he did try to heal him".

And now there is an actual Xorn in China. I guess this is what was said to be one of the retcons of the Morrison run people were talking about. I'm sure they get worse.

It's still more interesting than most of what's been going on lately in Xmen.

Kinda funny the panel where everyone is complaining about the teams they are on Wolverine saying "I can't be on every team". Sorry Logan, but you are. Plus most of the Avengers teams as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hope and vaseline posted:

Magneto bonding with Xavier over the actions of fake Magneto, basically reinforcing that no he is not a genocidal maniac. Also it took place in decimated Genosha and had sexy tentacle armed Callisto.

Every time I see posts about the run I've just finished I learn new stuff that are confusing and explaining at then same time.

Fake Xorn was Magento but not really Magneto a fake Magneto that was being controlled by Sumblime, but there was a Xorn at some point that had a Brother that was the Xorn Fake Magneto was pretending to be, but Sublime was actually Kick.

I wish they did more X-23 stuff in the next run, because seeing her try to be normal is pretty nice. I like seeing her interact with Kitty and Rachael. She's one of those characters like Squirrel Girl i'm more familiar with in Games than in the comics.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Polaris's outfit at this point is really weird, its like a girl decided to cosplay as the Joker, but a female joker that is also a fetish superhero.

Also sucked the Juggernaut into his head. BTW, that was really brutal, Cain was actually a good guy, and that poor fish kid ruined it and got himself killed, sending Cain into a massive guilt spiral where he sacrificed himself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like I missed an issue, but its a trade so that's impossible, but everyone seems to take M Day in Xmen really well. Oh yea there's only about 200 mutants left in the school, and Polaris has lost her powers, but everyone else seems kinda okay with it.

Or did they deal with the M day stuff in another book and Xmen at this time takes place after everyones kind of gotten to the acceptance level of grief.

And Rhodey was literally piloting an Evangelion unit against Apocalypse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If anything, they lurch between events like a drunken sailor and so you end up with the in between books radically varying in quality.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Quentin going to Scott, but who's the guy who wants Jubilee's son?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Didn't they change it because they didn't want 30 something Scott to be lusting after a kid?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I'm reading the early 2000s xmen run after Morrisons, and its pretty cool; Omega Sentinel, Mystique and Mastermind and Sabertooth kinda coming over to the other side. Crazy future people and all, its a good straight storyline then BAM suddenly everyone's all over the place and Cables running around with a baby and Bishop wants to shoot it. There seemed to be no easing into the Messiah Complex stuff. Its just there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Probably Magic posted:

Some of that Messiah Complex stuff had pretext (specifically in the freelancing Cable department) in Cable and Deadpool. But yeah, that's one of my favorite X-Men rosters. Wish more lineups were just a mix of weird instead of "Wolverine/Cylcops + Some Claremeont faves + expendable X-kids who will be dead in 5 years."

Yea, the lineup of Rogue, Cable and that crew was great. Funny that Masterminds top is exactly the same as the current one worn by Emma.

I'll have to track down ether some Messiah Complex trades or something to get the whole story, but I guess I know that the baby is hope, goes off to the future with Cable, comes back, and start starts the whole AvsX thing and she punches Wanda in the face and then joins their powers to vanquish the Pheonix forever. Then she just kinda falls off the map. Marvel did the same thing with Thane. OMG THE MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTER EVER *poof* who? We're busy sticking wolverine into every story.

Speaking of Wanda, its kind of heartbreaking at this time with her hiding out in Transia and people who care for her looking for her and finding her, but she has no idea who these people are and what happened. Obviously just another aspect of her mental illness and refusing to take responsibility for what she did. Still seeing Hank and Clint go and be destroyed upon meeting her. Wasn't Children's Crusade her return to normalcy? Also I heard it was terrible. Fear Itself level terrible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that was the impression I got from the general discussion.

But the major plot points is something about the Wiccan and the other fake Wanda kid going and getting her from Transia and having her restore herself then bring her back and then Scott gets all pissy and says his dumb rear end "this witch will burn!!!".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There is a point where they will move past schism and m-day and all that fallout and part of that will be a "fix" for Wanda, but its going to be part of a whole. I figured that Uncanny Avengers would deal with a lot of this, and it being a mending of sorts between Wanda and Rogue. But nope!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So reading Wolverine and the Xmen, the first run, and holy crap this is good. Though now I'm going to have to track down the Schism stuff so i know how Scott and Logans falling out happened.

I feel bad because the idea of Rogue teaching grammer and diction makes me laugh too much. Gambit teaching Sex Ed is kinda creepy though.

How is Uncanny X-force? I'm curious how Logans murder squad went. Also, The panels from when Deathlok sees Evan, those were reused in the current right, right?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wolverine is going to die in that book, but still be alive in all the other books he's in.

And great, I'll grab uncanny x-force trades once next time I got some money. Maybe i should just get Marvel unlimited, all this stuffs on there,and its only what, $60 a year?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ice Man and the X-men!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So i'm kinda disturbed to find out that women just can't get enough Doop.

Which is kinda awesome.

And I cannot wait to see some horrible thing to befall the Hellfire kids. I wish I had read WatXM earlier.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I finished the first run of Wolverine and the Xmen, and drat, what a great book. Glad I picked up the current run.

Learned that Eyeboy is not as lame as he appears, Doop is every woman's dream and the Xmen and Circuses don't mix.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been reading the Cable and Hope adventures, but holy gently caress Bishop. I hate how he's a "Don't worry guys, all the horrible poo poo i'm doing has a really good reason, but i'm not going to tell you because that would make you try to stop me, but trust me when I say I need to kill this baby and most of the population of the planet" guy.

Hope and Cable as a father/daughter team is really great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sefer posted:

At least with the killing most of the population thing, he figured it wouldn't matter because once he killed Hope that future would be undone and those people would never get killed.

Morality can get weird with time travel- you're doing evil things to achieve (in his mind) a good outcome, but part of that good outcome is those evil things never happening.

True, but its really annoying how through all of Messiah Complex Bishop is trying to kill baby hope and just keeps trying to explain his actions by saying "She's going to destroy everything!".

I'm into X-force now where they go to Cables time and meet Deadpool who's even crazier than normal.

• Locked thread