Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Absolutely loved Uncanny this week. I wanted all of this so long ago. Cyclops dealing with this situation as Cyclops, the character with history and relationships and memories tied in crazy ways to everyone on the team. Bendis's real skills shined through in this. Character relationships and dialogue feel believably awkward and sincere. Still some cheesiness and off-character moments but its close enough and well done enough that I super enjoyed it. If it stays on track with this style and content, I'm pretty drat interested.

I still think a lot of Cyclops's reasoning and rationalization is weak, but taking that and all of AvX as a given, and looking at this situation, it's really well handled.

Edit: Art was cool. A little grungy, gross, and off model, but super loving interesting and wild. I think the funkier artists they've been doing on Uncanny really add to the mood of the series.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I like to tell my non-comic book friends about dumb stuff in comics a lot, but I almost feel ashamed at the entire Xorn thing. It's just too dumb and ridiculous and contrived to even think about.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Gillen's Uncanny was great and fresh. I still prefer that "shaken up status quo" over the current "shaken up status quo".

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Looking back on it I don't feel it was the strongest run of something ever, and only when I really think about it do I realize how much Land held it back. It felt too stoic and posed. It felt like it was trying to be cinematic in a shallow way. I loved the ideas, the cast, and a lot of the dialogue. But funny fun stuff like Namor getting nasty with a fish queen was just... ruined by the "seriousness" of the art.

Talking poo poo about Land isn't new, but I do feel like his style straight up ruined the atmosphere of the book.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

So instead they bring back teenage Jean so EVERYONE can kinda lust after a teenager.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Sabretooth is a bad character with a bad design and is awful and boring except when riding a jetpack.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

I have a HUGE problem with how they portray Cyclops's power in the issue that came out today. He uses it to propel himself around in space, which means it's pushing back on him when he's using it, which means he's basically headbutting everything he hits with his eye beams! Ahhh!!

One time he was falling and used the beams to slow his descent.

Whatever man, I thought it was cool back then!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That logo looks better than the jammed together Avengers A X-men X version, but it also looks like SIXIS.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Unmature posted:

You must be so much fun to be around.

I don't get why people post like that, but good stuff, I liked the story too and some of the stuff it led to. It had some exciting fresh ideas and scenarios.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Cyclops's ultra group was all about being flashy heroes and stepping in the Avengers market, which is what I liked about it. Magneto, Storm, Colossusnaught, Namor! gently caress yeah!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Weird how people can be aggressive about other people liking a character they don't.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

UniqueLikeMonique posted:

You guys really that mad that its in a cartoony style rather than hyper realistic? That's the style of our webcomic and we adapt pop culture characters into that style rather than try to imitate their own respective art styles.

This paragraph is the funniest thing I've read in a while, this is some upper level comedy here. Thank you for explaining how webcomics work.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I haven't bought comics in a while but the last ones I was trying to hold on to were All New and Uncanny because I thought A). It's a good setup and looked to be a big change of pace from normal and B). I thought Bendis was a guy who could craft very good stories and characters when he is fresh and inspired. But, no. Not this time.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

What's up with current Angel? I liked X-Force badass Angel but the version at the Wolverine school was depressing to me. Young Warren's unhappiness with how he ended up was the most accurate thing ever, but I don't know what happened since then.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Wow what the gently caress happened to the Cyclops series. I stopped following it but really enjoyed it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I think this is a clumsy move that doesn't add much unique benefit while dragging through a lot of baggage and confusion. So basically it's a normal comic book.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Morrison's run is one of my favorites, but I recommended it to a friend and ended up having to kinda admit some of it was a little too out there. I still don't quite understand Cassandra Nova.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Cypher's feet are amazing.

His torso situation is even better.

Magik actually looks ok in the second picture, though. It's not bad? Relative to normal Rob it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

aaaaaaAAAAAAARRRRRGGHHHHHH COMIC BOOOOOOOKS

• Locked thread