Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just caught up on All-New X-Factor #2 and #3. It's not bad, but not terribly good either. I'll give it a couple of more issues, but if it really doesn't pick up I'll be dropping it.

Actually, I tell a lie. The reveal of Snow being kinda evil felt a bit ham-handed. I'm not sure if it would have had more impact being revealed later, or if we were supposed to just assume he was evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Suben posted:

I am so loving happy to see Aaron finally gone from the X-Men and in favor of Yost to boot! Now if only Bendis could leave and Marvel brings back Carey to replace him.

That's not to say I think Aaron's a bad writer, I love Ghost Rider. Just that I think his X-Men stuff has been really bad.
Carey has an X-Men OGN coming out soon, he just published a novel too so maybe he's going to return to do more X-Men

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

So apparently Gambit has the power to restore robots memories by kissing them.

Also, :ughh:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Magic hole. Stuff goes in, stuff comes out different. Sometimes it even comes out asian.
No, it doesn't. :colbert:

Red posted:

Didn't Claremont say (in writing) that those who enter are judged? Judged by whom?
It's not really stated, but presumably some sort of deity above Roma.

Shawn posted:

I remember being a kid and trying to wrap my head around the Siege Perilous, where it came from, how it worked, why it worked that way and always failing. I always just assumed there was some issue out there that I hadn't read. As I got older and filled in my X-men collection I realized that Claremont had simply painted himself into a corner with Fall of the Mutants and the Outback Era and needed a Deus Ex Machina for a magic out.
I'm not sure what gives you that impression, it was all fairly clearly plotted/planned from the get-go.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm still not sure if I'm reading X-Factor just because Doug and Warlock are in it, or if I'm actually enjoying reading it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah the colouring really bothers me, it looks so bland and washed out. I don't think the art's great, either, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I thought Gillen's X-Men was incredibly bland and I didn't particularly like how he wrote most of the characters.

I only read the 2nd half of it though (Vol. 2).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yawn.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If they're going to use this to end the Schism, I'd much rather they kill off Cyclops.

What's going to happen to Wolverine's multiple ongoings, I wonder?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

X-23. As for the eating of comic I will if Wolverine remains dead longer than 6 months. Oh I am going to regret this, aren't I?
Yeah, 6 months really isn't long enough because it could be dragged out a year or two like Cap/Peter Parker, but :toxx:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

When did they announce a Storm ongoing? I don't think having a one shot of a character is taking a chance, especially when they've already done it for a million other characters.
There's something in the July solicits. It's one of the 100th Anniversary books.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

IUG posted:

No one talks about the other books a whole lot. Not one person posted in this thread that Doug Ramsey appears to be dead again. :mad:
I'm sure he'll get better

I hope that girl has some powers that make guys want to help her or something because this issue was kinda weird, I don't know why Lorna went along with it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

So whats up between Rogue and Magneto? Every time I see them together Erik is awkwardly flirting with her, and she doesn't seem to mind. I was reading Legacy last night and Magneto straight up asks her to marry him in the middle of AvsX.
They had a brief romantic entanglement back around Uncanny #269, but it didn't particularly end well.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Schneider Heim posted:

Messiah Complex, Second Coming, Dark Phoenix Saga and Schism collections are on sale in Comixology. What are the good ones?
Messiah CompleX and Second Coming are alright. Dark Phoenix is fantastic why are you even asking if it is just bloody buy it ok? I haven't read Schism.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The logical point for him to leave would be just before he actually did - before he launched the 2nd X-men title. He had pretty much wrapped up all the plot threads he'd been working on at that point anyway. I guess after Uncanny #200 would have been a good point too, although it would have left the next writer with a status quo of Xavier on his deathbed and gone to space, Magneto in charge of the X-Men, and the originals forming X-Factor. Simonson writing the 3 books (X-Men, X-Factor and New Mutants) might not have been bad.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's actually a fairly story-relevant cover. The story involves Havok having nightmares about the X-Men attacking him, so he goes to New York to find out why. He finds the mansion deserted, but is able to track down the X-Men by following Magneto to the Morlock tunnels. They reveal that he had been there already, but that Psylocke had mind-wiped him so that he couldn't remember (at the time, the team were trying to stay hidden from the Marauders, and were trying to protect their friends and families by not letting them know where they were). In the end, he decides to join the team to help them.

The cover in question though is a direct homage to this one

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

MY ABACUS! posted:

Speaking of Blink, what is 616-Blink or AOA/Exiles-Blink up to these days? It would make sense to stick one of them in a book since she's a character in the new movie.
They're both in character limbo I think. I'm not sure about AOA/Exiles Blink though, she might be dead. 616 Blink is alive again, but hasn't appeared as far as I know since the most recent New Mutants series ended.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

So, why was Rachael Grey always drawn to look like a stereotypical lesbian in the 80s and 90s?
Everyone in the future is a lesbian.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Excalibur had the best covers

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

radlum posted:

So Excalibur did what Exiles was about years before? You got me; is the series collected as Essentials or just TPB?
Sort of. The book was a mix of X-Men-style stories with a heavy dose of Marvel UK's Captain Britain, which is where the multiverse elements came from. The Cross-Time Caper was a bit 12-part storyline where the team were hopping uncontrollably through parallel Britains, so yes that story was like a pre-cursor to Exiles. Unfortunately, Davis left for a bit and Claremont got busy so around issue #20 there starts to be a bunch of fill-ins by other writers. Claremont comes back for 3 issues and doesn't really wrap anything up, but then Davis returns about 10 issues later as writer/artist, and picks up dangling threads from his and Claremont's run on it. The early stuff really has a sense of kind of wacky fun about it, almost with a British sensibility I suppose.

There is a series of Excalibur Classic tbps, no Essential volumes for it though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I read it for the first time recently and it's not too bad. It's very 90s in a lot of ways, but the story is pretty good.

I do kinda like X-tinction Agenda too, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

X-Cutioner's Song is better than Battle of the Atom, things actually happen in it between the 1st and last issues.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Web Jew.0 posted:

Was there anything Jean Grey couldn't do?
Be interesting.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I wish that instead of Bendis X-Men comics, we got to read about the X-Men from the Silver Age.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I read the monthly issues and I liked most of it, too. But I did ultimately think it was pretty disposable; I couldn't tell you what happened if you put a gun to my head.
They repeated the same argument every issue or two, some characters totally overreacted to things, there was something involving a Future X-Men and a Future Brotherhood-Pretending-To-Be-The-Future-X-Men.

The only good thing about Battle of the Atom was Ice Gandalf.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Simonson apparently killed Doug off because she thought all the readers hated him, because they used to just get constant letters into the office about how useless/boring he was. After Fall of the Mutants, the letters changed to "I can't believe you killed off Doug! He was my favourite character!"

The latest X-Force was loving amazing, holy poo poo. My only complaint with it is that the narrations are waaaaay too similar in style to David Haller's in Legacy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

IUG posted:

You just have to wait for Marrow's turn to narrate again, baby.
That issue totally killed me :smith:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

I fell for Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique in the Days of Future Past film. Has the character ever had a solo series? I can't find one in the OP. What are some good Mystique-central arcs/storylines?
The OP only covers current books.

Mystique had a solo series between 2004 and 2006. I'm a big fan of it, it was a pretty fun spy book. Brian K. Vaughan (Saga) wrote the first 13 issues of it, then Sean McKeever took over. Unfortunately, it only lasted another 10-12 issues before being cancelled, but they were able to wrap up the main storyline at least.

Oh hey, I had no idea but the whole thing has been collected! That's awesome.
http://www.amazon.com/Mystique-Brian-Vaughan-Ultimate-Collection/dp/0785155112/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404460880&sr=8-1&keywords=mystique
http://www.amazon.com/Mystique-Sean-McKeever-Ultimate-Collection/dp/078515521X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1404460880&sr=8-5&keywords=mystique

Aside from that, she has mostly been portrayed as a villain. If you want some good Mystique stuff, you can check out the original Claremont/Byrne Days of Future Past story. She also features a little bit during the X-Men story of Fall of the Mutants. She was a member of X-Factor during the 90s, but I'm not sure if any of that has been collected.

More recently, you could check out the start of Mike Carey's run on X-Men, where she was a member of the team:
http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Supernovas-Mike-Carey/dp/0785123199

You may be able to find all or some of this stuff on Comixology or Marvel Unlimited if digital is your thing.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 4, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, McKeever's Marvel work was definitely pretty good overall, for whatever reason (be it editorial interference or what) his DC stuff was fairly awful (although I only read a bit of TT).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think probably the only thing which "matters" is the stuff involving Rogue, since it's referenced later on when Dazzler joins the X-Men.

e: Oh, and the Dazzler: The Movie OGN since it's also referenced later (although if you don't read the OGN, you can experience that later issue just like Alison does. :v:)

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 8, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah it was in Uncanny #259-260.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

The loss of The Face is truly the greatest sin of the New 52.
Have faith - just because he hasn't appeared yet doesn't mean he doesn't exist in the New 52.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Like X-Men: Legacy was, X-Force is the best X-book that you're all not reading.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://storify.com/robbercat/geoff-johns-cereal-adventure

That's actually really funny. I love the unfinished "The manager is" tweet.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

"I've got Xavier's will here."
"Xavier's will?"
"Yeah."
"Is he dead? I didn't think Xavier was dead."
"Sure he's dead, he was killed by the Phoenix Five."
"Xavier? Wow... Wait, Phoenix Five? I thought there was just one of them."
"You don't remember the Phoenix Five? When they killed Xavier?"
"Phoenix Five? Killed Xavier? Wow."

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

You can't probate the truth.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I will be interested in how exactly they are going to end the schism.
Scott will form the James Howlett School For Gifted Youngsters.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The thing is that it wasn't just Deadly Genesis, there was some "Wow, Xavier is a bit of an rear end in a top hat" stuff in Astonishing X-Men, which was published close to the same time too, so it just seemed we got a bunch of stories revealing that Xavier had a dark and shadowy past. It's understandable that there are feelings that we don't really need another one.

So, Brian Wood's X-Men just sort of...fizzled out. That whole thing, despite a reasonably promising start, was seriously just "meh".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

Other than X-Factor I'm done reading X-Men books. I started to run with Cyclops then saw that Rucka is leaving the book so no thanks. None of Bendis stuff is any good, and the other books are meandering aimless crap. Update the thread title if Bendis actually decides to write something good or if another writer of talent starts writing something good. Oh I'm still on Cable & X-Force because while it's not great, it's interesting and different.
Have you been reading X-Force? (e: Yes you are, it says it right there. :downs:) It's probably the best X-book since, well, X-Men Legacy. I'm actually on the verge of dropping X-Factor because, while it's not bad, I'm just really not digging it all that much.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh, whoops. I just read the start where he said X-Factor was the only book he was reading. :shobon:

• Locked thread