Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

HorseRenoir posted:

That makes sense. The whole event felt like a quirky arc of WATXM that was awkwardly turned into an event and dragged down by Bendis' pacing problems and love of the "heroes arguing with each other" type of conflict.

WATXM? It felt much more like an arc of ANXM, what with the thrust of the plot centering around the O5.

It also felt like Bendis handled at least 75% of the plotting, even if he only scripted half the issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

Don't try to find logic in it, your head will explode (you haven't even gotten to how the Scarlet Witch was somehow involved in it).

She wasn't, though, as far as I know. It was strongly implied that she was towards the end of House of M, but Bendis himself dropped this in favor of the Collective retcon, which somehow made even less sense (was the Collective meant to be one of the twin Xorns from the original Austen retcon, or some amorphous evil entity that took Magneto's form for some reason?).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

This is correct. I forget who said it (I thought it was Gillen but others disagree) but she was absolutely going to be Jean reincarnated. AvX hosed up a lot of plans though.

Teon just got shot in the newest issue of X-Men.

Hope was going to be Jean at one point during the planning of Messiah Complex, but IIRC, that idea had been abandoned well before Second Coming, let alone AvX.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I suppose impending announcements will further clarify this, but it sure sounds like Death of Wolverine was originally going to happen in the Wolverine ongoing. Perhaps a response to underwhelming sales of the latest relaunch?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I loving loved Gillen's Sinister and would hate to see Bendis poo poo all over that characterization, so I'm glad it wasn't him.

In any case, that was quite possibly the worst Masked Mystery Villain reveal I've ever read in a superhero comic. Maybe the Original Sin tie-in will be better, but this issue felt like Bendis has already hit Avengers circa late 2011 levels of phoning it in.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

notthegoatseguy posted:

Somewhere there's an alternate AvxX story where the writers weren't blatantly forced halfway through to not make Hope the Phoenix/reincarnation of Jean Gray and maybe that story didn't suck. Instead we got 2 deus ex machinas shouting a catchphrase and magically magicking up more mutants.

If that was the plan (and it was, at least at one point when Messiah Complex was being written), it was changed well before AvX was a thing. AvX had other problems.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The original rumor was that it's actually a rotating "______ and the X-Men" series, and I still suspect that to be the case.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

She's there because Bendis wanted to write her, and saved her from Avengers Arena as soon as he could. I'm pretty sure his idea was to have her and Scott become a thing as a play on the old Scott/Jean/Logan love triangle, and that's actually a pretty fun idea. But then Marvel had the chance to get Rucka back, and they gave him young Scott since that's what he wanted. So Bendis had to quickly write Scott out to go into space which dropped the love triangle thing, and I think his plan B was X-23 and Angel since neither of them were really doing much. Though I think the point of that relationship is that young Angel has seen what will happen to him and he's scared of losing himself, and Laura has gone through similar things in her life.

Pretty sure the idea for a Cyclops-in-space ongoing came before they got Rucka to write it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

There's an, um, very interesting spoiler circulating for ANXM #40.

Teen Iceman is gay. No, it's not explained why his adult counterpart isn't, though Bendis does make a point of bringing it up.

I'm for it in theory, but the execution remains to be seen.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Bendis has rarely written LGBT characters in his career, and when he has he's never addressed their sexuality in more than a cursory manner, so I'm not surprised that the result of his attempting to tackle a coming-out storyline leaves something to be desired.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Bendis said on his Tumblr that it was entirely Marvel's decision to delay the book until after Secret Wars and had nothing to do with the book being ready on time. For what that's worth.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Even setting aside the (largely justified, IMO) criticisms of bi-erasure, if Bendis wanted to tell a story about "full gay" Iceman coming to terms with his sexuality... he could have actually *told* that story by developing it throughout his run, instead of sticking it at the very end and using Jean's telepathic intrusions as a shortcut.

as far as characterization goes, what he did is only slightly less lazy than having Jean wave a magic wand and saying "okay, both of you are gay now"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, "Iceman is gay" was a fan theory long before this happened. I'm sure some of it was a meme based off one panel but it's been suspected for some time at least.

He didn't come up with this in a vacuum, sure, but it's still lovely storytelling with little resemblance to recognizable human psychology, all for the sake of... publicity? Bendis patting himself on the back?

Well, what's done is done, and more LGBTQ representation is ultimately a good thing. Hope Lemire and Hopeless do a better job running with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like if Jean wasn't involved with this I'd have way less of a problem

It'd still be an incredibly messy retcon that could have been way less messy if he had been bi instead, but the Jean stuff actively moves it into skeezy territory, especially since Bendis doesn't seem to realize what the problem is.

It's just bad storytelling. It barely even qualifies as a coming-out story, given that there's no meaningful foreshadowing, the gay "protagonists" have no agency in identifying their own sexuality, and whatever struggle they may have with it (and with Jean invading their innermost thoughts) is neatly wrapped up in a page or two. And given the eight-month gap, it's not even clear we'll see either Bobby come out to anyone else.

Basically, it's a coming-out story minus anything that would make for compelling drama or organic character development.

• Locked thread