Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I was never really into PAD's X-Factor but read bits and pieces in it. Halfway through it it just became a clusterfuck of characters and plots and it went off the rails.

This new run, though, is quite awesome. He's probably the first writer since Mike Carey to use Danger really well.

Speaking of Carey, that Legacy 300 was pretty loving good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Um, X-Men Legacy #300 was really good. Guess I should read the Mike Carey run, huh?

Carey wrote the Xavier and Rogue parts and yes, you really should. The Xavier stuff was really good. The Rogue stuff...well, it was less a focus on Rogue the character and more about Rogue leading her own X-Men team. It has its high points but his Xavier run was great.

He also wrote Adjectiveless X-Men before and during Messiah Complex, which makes some pretty good use of Cable and Mystique.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yet another Bendis UXM issue where he just dicks around and stretches out the SHIELD vs X mystery.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Aaron was dropping some pretty heavy Jean hints with the Wolverine in Hell story. But they never went anywhere.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

After everything Carey did to fix Brubaker and Whedon's messes we're really already back to THE EVIL DARK SECRETS of Xavier you won't believe exist.

There are a lot of writers at Marvel who want to take Charles down a few pegs.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I hated ANXM too. Bendis is completely phoning it in and it seems like he's mastered the art of continuing to release issues but not resolve a single loving plot.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

I enjoyed his reveal of what he actually planed and the half-hearted company line read when everyone called him out on it.

:geno:"No AvX was always the planed culmination of the Hope storyline"

They totally meant Hope to become Ignored Teenage X Character 54 rather than something significant?

Rereading Messiah Complex, it really reads like she is supposed to be Jean.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Of course Young Jean wasn't actually there to witness stuff like Scott forming a secret group of killers or trying to control the Phoenix Force, which ended up kind of backfiring.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, but he had been the one to take her off the board; that can't be said for Jean Grey.

Bendis does seem, for all his faults, to try and put all the toys back in the toybox in roughly the same condition as he got them out.

Heaven forbid that the next creative team might have to make a convincing plot before they set up their own status quo.

I mean, he ended his Daredevil run with Matt Murdock in loving jail. Yet he basically made his entire Avengers run absolutely meaningless by the time he was finished.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

So whats up between Rogue and Magneto? Every time I see them together Erik is awkwardly flirting with her, and she doesn't seem to mind. I was reading Legacy last night and Magneto straight up asks her to marry him in the middle of AvsX.

Magneto and Rogue are dating, kind of, for most of Legacy until they break up when she moves on to the Jean Gray School.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I thought Aaron's stories were really good. He started as just the filler writer when Guggenheim or Loeb couldn't get their poo poo together fast enough, and that resulted in fantastic stories like Get Mystique. His Wolverine: Weapon X was also really good. I think he lost a bit of steam after he finished the Hell arc from his adjectiveless Wolverine run.

It probably doesn't help that, like with Spider-Man, it seems like every writer pretty much has to hit the re-set button at one point or another.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Welp, doesn't look like Uncanny Avengers is gonna improve any time soon

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm just imagining it as an out-of-continuity fun little thing, similar to that Team-Up issue of Ultimate Spidey and FF where they actually went into the Marvel offices.

And it isn't like you could make BOTA more dumb anyway.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Back when MC2 Spider-Girl and Marvel Adventures was still being published, I remember Marvel reps saying that those books largely survived off of digest collection sales, which are much cheaper than the traditional TPB. I think Spider-Girl might've even been involved in those book ordering programs that schools use. But I just don't think there's really a large kid friendly chunk of books. Even the comics that don't have a ton of violence might bring up other themes parents could be uncomfortable with such as sex or drug use.

There's a way to market to kids, but I don't think most LCS shops have enough young people as customers that it really needs to be addressed. But if you get those trade collections into places where kids will be, like at bookstores with coffee shops and even school libraries, that's probably better than lobbying for LCS owners to have a kids section.

Maybe Marvel should release the Ms. Marvel series in digests or something.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rucka is doing such a great job writing Young Cyclops. It is refreshing to see him written as a unique character rather than using BendisSpeak.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

When Emma dug up Xavier's memories of Moira during Legacy, he was really sad about having to relive her death.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bendis is obviously jealous that he didn't get to write his "Xavier is a dick" story that everyone else did 5-10 years ago, so here we go again!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Didn't Dark Beast escape to the AOA at the end of Uncanny X-Force?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I just really loving hate how they've, in my opinion, ruined and reverted Maria Hill's character. I think Fraction did a lot to evolve her and make her a person besides "Generic hard rear end not Fury SHIELD Director" in his Iron Man run. Now, ever since Spencer's Secret Avengers and the tail end of Bendis' Avengers, she's back to being SHIELD hard rear end.

quote:

Honestly the more I read Uncanny the more I find myself supporting Maria Hill. All of the mutants are just assholes and gently caress around with the timestream too much and then at the end of the story Cyclops moves in to be smug as gently caress and be like "Oh you really should have known there are like 3 evil Beasts at any given time trying to infiltrate and use any resources they can to be evil for the sake of it. Also you really should have known that Mystique the shapeshifter would infiltrate your ship. Now get off my lawn that I don't live on. "

Don't forget "Mystique the shapeshifter that I sent Wolverine to kill and that I've had numerous opportunities to kill but I only save my kills for father figures"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Gambit series by James Asmus is really good. Totally worth reading.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mystique is currently the villain in everything X-related.

Probably my favorite Mystique storyline is Jason Aaron's "Get Mystique", which is actually a filler arc on Wolverine because Guggenheim or Loeb or whoever were taking too long. It is a great story and you should just go ahead and by the Aaron Wolverine omnibus while you're at it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I actually like the new WATXM since it is focusing more on the kids. It probably reads a bit better in trade but I really don't have any complaints. Especially since Aaron's WATXM had more than a few stories that just did not appeal to me. The loving crossovers didn't help but even poo poo like the circus bored me.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

The same Aaron that wrote an X-men crossover and was the writer for Wolverine?

I don't see your point. I remember Aaron's Wolverine work being generally well received. I think he lost a bit of steam after the Hell arc of the Wolverine re-launch but at least he didn't sink into self-parody like Bendis did in year 4-6 of Avengers.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pak's Storm wasn't mindblowing but it was a very nice introduction issue.

WATXM conclusion was really good but I kind of wanna go back and re-read the whole thing now. Is Quire being written out because Bendis or Hickman or someone wants to use him or is this part of WATXM's plot?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rick posted:

This really isn't true. Most of the more negative stuff from that era are things that were (or at least bordered on) culturally acceptable when the story was written, and most of that started to fall away as the story telling got more sophisticated and comics got more progressive. Outside of Morrison (who took a more complicated look at Xavier that was mostly retconned away), we had roughly 30+ years of Xavier being written as mostly a moral paragon (to the point that several times there were several storylines where characters were rebelling against the unrelaism of Xavier's ideals because other humans were too flawed to live up to the ideals he could).

It's too early to say where this current arc is going, but Deadly Genesis was roughly equivalent of a story that revealed that Steve Rogers was a horrible racist based on the fact that Captain America used to drop racial slurs in the silver age.

My problem is its similar to Hank Pym. Everyone wants to write the redemption story so everyone fucks up his life so he can be redeemed. The past decade of Xavier stories have all been Dark Shadowy Past trying to make Xavier even more of a dick. The only real exception is Carey's run on Adjectiveless and Legacy.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't think the aging, or lack thereof (really at this point, most of the aging seems to be magic than anything else), is the problem. American superhero comics are hardly the only serial media that takes a slowed down passage of time stance. Lots of animated series and even some live action television and movies do as well.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Well I understand people's frustration with the time traveling teams of the past/future/alternate reality etc..., I really do. But I don't think they're inherently bad. Bendis could've chosen not to have the "original" X-Men show up and he'd still be phoning it the gently caress in, regardless of whatever bullshit plot he was writing. The problem isn't time travel. The problem is Bendis it phoning it in.

I thought Cable's solo series where he raised Hope, after an initial bumpy intro story, was really good. And that almost entirely consisted of alternate, hosed up futures. Remender's take on the Age of Apocalypse was also really good (but I didn't give a gently caress about the mini series that followed up on that era).

I also really don't think the focus is on the "new" generation. There's dozens of teenage/young 20s mutants who were main characters in a team or a specific young x-men book who are now windowdressing. gently caress, Hope was a core X-Men member, was a major player in two X-Men events, and now is completely in the background save for whatever is going on with X-Force. The same can be said of most of the Generation Hope characters. And the New X-Men. Every now and then someone that was introduced ages ago will come back to the spotlight but they'll be shoved aside pretty soon.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

That you can pick out a handful of young x-men currently being used is kind of my point. A few get focus, and the few that get focused rotate out every few years. Most of them sit in the back doing nothing until they need some cannon fodder for the next event.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

And a future Quire showed up in the Avengers Union in Hickman's current Avengers arc.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I completely disagree that All New didn't suck. Bendis dicked around for 17 pages until they got to the cliffhanger that already occurred in Uncanny a few weeks before.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Somewhere there's an alternate AvxX story where the writers weren't blatantly forced halfway through to not make Hope the Phoenix/reincarnation of Jean Gray and maybe that story didn't suck. Instead we got 2 deus ex machinas shouting a catchphrase and magically magicking up more mutants.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think some world War Hulk tie in tried to BS their way into making silent war a part of that event or something.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I just don't see how all of the X-Men would consider him a villain. Hell right now he isn't doing anything that X-Force wouldn't have done.

I guess there needs to be a point where someone, probably Cyclops, says he has gone too far.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Storm was much better this week. Nice Calypso story without retreading the exact same ground a zillion times before. Also probably the most convincing Wolverine/Storm pairing I've seen, and that's counting Aaron's WATXM.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

WOLVERINE IN HELL...AGAIN!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

"Well, yknow, Ultimate Spider-Man is like Bendis' one good remaining book so maybe this issue won't suck"

Nope, it still sucked. God drat what was I thinking that Bendis could refresh himself with a new landscape of X-Men after his Avengers ran just ran out of steam. I really need to stop reading these books.

I mean 31 of these loving issues have come out of ANXM and it seems like almost nothing has happened of any real consequence.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Is there some reason you aren't interested in reading stuff from 5 years ago? Because like any era, there will be some good and some bad. I honestly can't speak highly of any of the current X-books except for Storm, and that could be mostly low expectations. It has potential to be good and it is doing well so far. But I've been burned before.

I'm also not that into Amazing X-Men or Nightcrawler but they aren't offensively bad like Bendis' X-Men run has been.

Mike Carey had a pretty strong run on various X-Men comics. He recently released a graphic novel but the name of it escapes me at the moment. He wrote (Adjectiveless) X-Men in the lead up to Messiah Complex. That book was later re-branded X-Men: Legacy and basically is a Xavier solo book and is a great run. It is followed up with what is essentially a Rogue solo run which is also good but I think is a bit different. Xavier is very much out on his own during that time while Rogue is (mostly) involved in the X-Men, and a good chunk of it is her leading her own team.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

I was actually really liking this week issue of Uncanny... until the second half of the issue hits and suddenly the really innocuous, sweet story about Charles communicating with the child is supposed to be controversial for some reason. It's the same bullshit that made Battle of the Atom really irritating to me; it takes a pretty obvious and benign idea and pretends like it's a super-contentious flashpoint despite one side of the argument not really having a point. Why is Charles sealing the kid's powers and letting him live a normal life presented as a morally sketchy decision, even after the child explicitly gives Charles his consent? This whole storyline was about Charles having some dark hidden secret; was "Charles couldn't help this one kid control his powers, so that kid grew up to have :stonk: a normal childhood!!! :stonk:" really the best they could do?

That whole section of Scott flipping out because Charles was literally flawless and hypercompetent felt like blatantly artificial tension, and I have no idea why Bendis bothered to include it in what would otherwise be a story about the team overcoming their differences.

It'd because Bendis didn't get a chance to write his own Xavier Is A Dick story so he's doing one now.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

Man, I like Peter David's downtime issues more than any other writer, I think. He's got a great handle on the soapy aspects of the shared marvel universe.

I think Bendis had his moments as well. There was one issue of his Illuminati that initially was promoted as "the wives of the Illuminati find out!!!!" and even had them all on the cover. But instead, it was just the Illuminati being all "women. Amirite?" and it was one of Bendis' best moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Finally catching up with last week's comics:

LOL @ Death of Wolverine and Reed saying "We're not that close" about Tony Stark and Hank McCoy.

Why isn't Soule writing the Wolverine ongoing? Much better than the poo poo writer on it currently.

Last month's X-Factor was a brilliant issue. This issue was a bit of a let down. I mean, I get that Quicksilver needed that baggage dealt with. I don't like that it was practically hand waved away. But I think PAD did the best he could with that kind of story.

• Locked thread