Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This all sounds very poorly thought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Decius posted:

Make him bisexual (far too few characters in comics anyway) and the whole thing works fine.

It would make a lot more sense if time travel wasn't involved. Or if he picked a character who had something resembling a hint of homosexuality, or at least of having insecurity in that department. Hell, Bobby coming out as trans would make more sense than his past self being told he's gay. This is just Bendis slamming a square peg into a round hole like he always does... no pun intended.

I really shouldn't get bogged down discussing the specifics like this, though. The idea is stupid on its face and it's obvious where it's coming from.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Which is really the main point. It's comics, dumb retcons are happening weekly, this one may actually just do some good.

I highly doubt that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pfff. Ticking boxes is hardly an excuse for bad writing, especially when the way this is written is pretty insulting all around. Yeah, the Marvel U has too many white straight men and too few anything else, but there were a million better ways to do this, even if you were dead set on having someone established come out instead of creating a new character. Cuz we all know Ms. Marvel is selling like poo poo and getting no media attention compared to the latest reinvention of Established Character Moon Knight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I dunno. To me this is so inelegant and patronising that it's almost like if Punisher had stayed black and we decided to count that as a win since it adds diversity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

It could just be that modern iceman is bisexual or otherwise closeted and any mind-readers who have been inside his head have the common loving courtesy to not out him without his permission, gently caress you jean grey and your whole mindreading-without-permission gimmick

Bendis sure writes beloved female characters well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You should probably spoiler tag some of that post.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, I couldn't decide if it made sense to spoiler anything when I'm only really talking about things that have already happened in the past. It'd be like spoilering discussion of old Gambit and Sinister plotlines if it was revealed that he was definitely related to Scott after all. I decided to just redact it all.

My personal policy for spoilers is to avoid giving people enough context clues to piece together the spoiler being alluded to. It's served me well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

quote:

(2:47:12 PM) Fermata: that's all
(2:47:12 PM) Fermata: just
(2:47:21 PM) Fermata: so stupid
(2:47:31 PM) Fermata: are there no marvel editors or something

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 21, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bendis' history writing established female characters is not good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cabbit posted:

And even then, I'm pretty goddamn gay and there's still one woman on the planet I would drop everything for. I can't even begin to explain it.

In my experience that's pretty common.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

don't worry guys gay teenager expert bryan singer is totally okay with this

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/bryan-singer-weighs-in-on-icemans-outing

I just made a face like a guy who was just told he has to drink his own urine to survive.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

It's the editor's job to tell him what characters he can or cannot use.

I'm still not entirely convinced Marvel has had an editor in the last decade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

He has created some though, which is more than a lot of people in Marvel have done. Granted creating Hand and having Deodoto on art wasn't the best idea.

That poo poo should count as a -1 to the cause.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think it'd be best for everyone if we stopped trying to dictate what real life sexuality is like and focused more on the actual writing of the comics.

NmareBfly posted:

But it is what happened. The writers just didn't know it at the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Alright, tell me why a guy who is only gay and not even the slightest bit bisexual would be sexually and romantically interested in women. What other factors of sexuality am I missing that make you totally 100% gay and not fully interested in women while...simultaneously being interested in women in every way?

It's not entirely unusual for people who think of themselves as straight or gay to have individual exceptions. There's this ONE specific person of the gender they don't fancy that they are genuinely attracted to. I know of at least 3 people that I know personally who've experienced this. This can cause people to have crisis of self and not know what the heck to label themselves anymore and is a great source of stress, as many sexual orientation issues are.

I think your blanket statement hits people who've seen or lived this in a sore spot, even though I'm aware you meant it in a broader fashion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The TLC hit "No scrubs" is actually about the singer not wanting to date people who read Morrison comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

His Avengers run, on the other hand...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Actually that song is about you.

I have my own ride to hang out the side of, thank you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The one that always gets me is Adam X's blood boiling.

Like that's just God telling you to be a super villain. There's no hero work for you fire blood guy, sorry.

Yeah, it's been tried and it just doesn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luPGzVtLxq0&t=24s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He lost his powers which made him look normal again, then was in the depowered mutants version of New Warriors.

The last thing Marvel's database has him in was in 2011.

Depowered Beak was inexplicably super buff and hot in New Warriors. It was a bad comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really don't think Whedon was forced to use the classic team.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really liked that New Mutants story where he came back from the dead and was just "reading" all the selfish impulses behind his former friends' interactions, and he was all disgusted. But Warlock just had honest pure intent. ;_;

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

She's not a very good or consistent character, also.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All we're missing is the announcement of a Slott/Ramos book and we'll usher in a new golden age of unreadable X-men comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Everything involving Wolfsbane in X-factor was really bad. Rah Rah catholicism, yiffing, horrible accent I can barely read, dramatic temper tantrums. I don't believe in bad characters, but that's a character that has yet to be written well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Tsk, she's not Catholic, you ignoramus!

I keep thinking she's Irish and therefore Catholic due to the accent and heavy religious bent.

My biggest issue with X-Factor remains Madrox and Layla Miller getting together. It's so loving creepy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

Whedon had a fun run and did some cool things with the core team, but those delays essentially divorced it from the rest of the X-Men and Marvel U at the time

The X-men are always divorced from the larger Marvel U.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've seen some of Moore's scripts/notes, and they are very charming and affable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Cyclops sighs as he goes to get the Phoenix again.

Oh, like he needs an excuse to try to blow up the planet again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

I still feel bad for Hope. Didn't even do her the service of killing her off. :smith:

I'd rather my favorite z-listers be out there having unpublished adventures rather than murdered in a lovely crossover.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Aren't they always an endangered species though, really?

I mean even if there's millions, if they're constantly being murdered by giant purple robots then they're kinda endangered.

I mean, do you consider cows endangered?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Which book has mutants raised on farms explicitly for human consumption?

Well, I haven't gotten an answer from Marvel yet, but I sent in my pitch last week.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't want to straightsplain gay issues since there are probably gay posters who have actual life experience with it, but the question of if there's a duty to come out can be highly contentious.

Yeah but Northstar is an angry rear end in a top hat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Have they un-ruined Dracula yet?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

still white haired and armored as of his last appearance in Deadpool

:smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quick question: were you on an imageboard with a blue background when you saw these 'previews'?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There are more elegant ways to retcon a character's sexuality.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

vvv Yeah :smith: Didn't realize it was part of a big trolling effort vvv

Not really trolling, just wish fulfillment. Woman did thing. Comic have progressive themes. 4chan mad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The worst thing that ever happened to Iceman was that stupid story where Emma Frost took over his body and was able to do all sorts of crazy poo poo, which made him look like he was literally too stupid to use his own powers properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I'm one of the people mad about the bi erasure undertones but it's not nearly as bad as the whole "straight people should out their gay friends for their own good and be applauded for it" bullshit that Bendis seems completely oblivious to.

Outing closeted people is one of the meanest things you can do.

• Locked thread