Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Shogo is a boy. Not an all-female team.

Comic Vine's page for Shogo lists him as an attractive female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I really enjoy 60s Bobby's reaction to modern times.

And future times.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, sometimes you can barely tell if someone is supposed to be the blonde Cuckoo, Emma or Magik. Not just this issue either.

Doesn't help that Emma and Magik wear very similar tops either. And that they have inconsistent hairstyles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uncanny Avengers is too insane to summarize. Celestial assassination and Kang.

It's pretty funny how after specifically calling out Emma's costume, it then managed to be drawn wrong. She has Magik's top in one panel, then has white highlights instead of red.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I was wondering what you mean about her language being censored, then realized she was throwing Whore and bitch around a lot. I can't wait until Scott finds out what happens to her and really goes apeshit on her. But Yea, its like New Avengers, please advance the story! You've got everything in place, just knock that first domino down. At least it looks like Scott's had enough and is sick of waiting around so hopefully next issue will start something. Also i hope they reveal the maker of the Sentinels.

Scott already made the decision to go after SHIELD in All New, so this issue was mostly pointless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mystique is using her to harvest mutant growth hormone, while keeping her under sensory deprivation because she's not entirely sure if her powers work by sight or hearing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Gold Balls has a GOLD BALL on his costume. Seriously?

Well that's where they shoot from when he has control.

Telling your enemy exactly where your attack is coming from is X-Men tradition.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Jean's been dead for quite a while hasn't she?

A Jean is dead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rick posted:

Banshee was in a picture with an 'X' on it in the Uncanny Avengers book I read so I assume he's back and already dead again?

He came back as a Horseman of Death. He has been neutralized.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Charles Xavier is actually some morbidly obese guy in Newark. He's been using his powers to steal a surrogate body this whole time.

Like the movie, except without bothering with a non-convincing hairpiece on the bald surrogate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel Heroes needs to let you replace the big obnoxious Phoenix Form with Jean's new power.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, but foreign Claremont characters have mental illnesses where they intersplice random words from their own language into English, so the fact that she doesn't say "sayonara" or whatever every third word is a huge change for him.

It's even worse. She replaces every word with words from her own language.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or Smallville pulling it with Jimmy Olsen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

What's with the black things sticking out of each side of Magik's head? Please advise.

She's 1/16 Galactus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The headband or whatever it's attached to would be under her hair, presumably.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

They repeated the same argument every issue or two, some characters totally overreacted to things, there was something involving a Future X-Men...

Oh, so it was an X-Men comic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My takeaway from Morrison's run is that Beast will try to nail anyone that's vulnerable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Bendis' plot devices are always so stupid. I need to write a note? Really? And who is delivering this note? Who isn't reading it before it goes out the door? Yeah ok.

Just by writing it he guaranteed it makes it because it already did. Time travel!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asked this in the digital thread but might get a better answer here.

Comixology has the 2010-13 'X-Men' on sale right now. 42 issue bundle, $40.

Is that run any good? I remember them starting it off with a vampire story so that's not a good sign.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Um, no?

When they show him receiving the note in the future, that implies that they'll have to go back in time, lose, write that note, and have that note somehow reach them. It is "guaranteed it makes it" because we are seeing it "make it." Just seeing him write the note in the past does not have the same guaranteed time-travel logic to it - anything could happen between the present/past and the future. And even with the future scene of them again receiving the note, the onus is still on the writer of this fictional work to show how this closed loop works and how, in the past, the note does indeed make it - or at least leave it ambiguous enough that we think "ok, sometime in this span of 50 years or whatever, a note is somehow produced and set up for delivery."

Bendis is so ham-handed about it that he opts for the silly scene of Xavier Jr. asking his maximum security watchers for paper for this note, instead of taking advantage of the vast ambiguity offered by the span of years between "the present" and the future that Xavier Jr. travels from (i.e., there could be a power-outage and a break-out at some point further down the line, a different supervillain could intervene, etc.). Nope, he's gotta have his cutesy moment where he just asks for paper to write a note, and SHIELD security just lets him both write it and then either gets it out into the world for him or doesn't question where that paper goes if he tries to hide it.

You don't apply rules to time travel. It works however I/you/anyone says it works until something directly contradicts it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also he's right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quire is at the Jean Grey School, isn't he?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

If anything I think current Cyclops should be written as even more "rogue leader" than he is. I've been following X-Men since House of M and if your only idea of pre-M-Day Cyclops is 90s Cartoon Cyclops it's a fun character arc as he gets slightly more militaristic because he's been waiting his whole life for this scenario to happen and knows his role in it, then you have him overseeing X-Force. And you get the impression he's not sorry about that, he's only sorry he got found out. Then he kinda levels out until AvX, where the trauma of basically getting high (on cosmic power) and killing his surrogate father makes him go completely over the edge. Honestly, instead of starting up a new school he should have been on Cable's X-Force (the power dynamic would have been incredible) before the upcoming reconciliation with the other X-Men, which, swear to god, HAS to happen soon. Then he could have taken on a period of "oh god, was my midlife crisis THAT public?", trying to shy away while other X-Men try to convince him he's needed to train students again.

Well the guy on the other side of the Schism is dying in 2 months, so...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

So the big Xavier event going on right now is "Original Sin." He strangled his own evil twin alien thing in the womb, how on earth do you get more original than that?

The actual Original Sin is a Nick Fury thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Xavier was killed by the Phoenix One, the third Phoenix.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

He basically is stabbing himself every time he pops them. Hope he sterilized them before he started cooking.

It's fine. He has a healing factor, his blood is sterile.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scott doesn't even have to marry Jean again, they never got divorced.

And you know he never filed the proper papers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

There's a schlubby, mostly useless new mutant on Scott's team who literally just creates gold balls out of thin air. He's implying that Emma is so slutty she not only slept with him, she used his power for anal play.

I'm really not sure where you're getting the whole "Emma is a slut" thing. It's really never been implied in any X-book I've ever read-- she's always been just a bitch who liked to show her tits off.

Well she did pay a lot for them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Since nobody ever actually ages she's probably still 27 since 2003.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Storm's daughter needs a belt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey, as long as the power level keeps creeping up he's never actually wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Knucklebear posted:

3. Why is the Women focused book called X-Men? I'm not saying that it should be called X-Girls or X-ladies but there's gotta be a better name for a female focused book.

Because they're trying to make a statement.

quote:

5. The Barrier to entry for this universe is huge. If I didn't promise to give it at least 6 months I would stop buying these titles now.

That's Marvel's long standing issue. DC overdoes resets but Marvel sucks at new reader entry.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Speaking of, I never read any older stuff with Magik in it.

Did she have a metal Colossus arm or was that just part of her costume?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Didn't they cure the thing breaking powers, or were Dark Beasts nano sentinels a second, separate power breaking?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Emma's telepathy has worked occasionally but not voluntarily.

Rhyno posted:

They said it was nano sentinels even though it makes no sense that they took effect the second the Phoenix Force left them and that it effected Magneto (who still has wonky powers in his book).

Apparently it was meant to be that the nano sentinels were causing Cyclops' unintentional blasts, and Magik's inability to teleport, but that the broken powers are still a thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It might not actually be Phoenix related. All 3 were also in SHIELD custody as Uncanny began.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Deathbird in that issue is the Shi'ar one, and she also previously fought Carol as Ms. Marvel.

However there was a more recent Deathbird who fought Carol as Captain Marvel. She was an imposter posing as the one from the X-Men issue though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WatXM Volume 1 actually occasionally had these big diagrams of the school's students, but there were some who never had more than a background appearance the entire run.

Some of the staff never even appears on panel. They talk about Gambit's classes occasionally but he's never in any issues.

Also as it turns out Wolverine can't prevent his students from becoming killers (Toad can though) yet I can't recall a single time any of Cyclops' have.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They actually kill the poo poo out of things during Savage Land training.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

There's also the fact that Scott welcomed the Phoenix Force, despite knowing first hand that it's an uncontrollable cosmic force. Wolverine didn't ask to be mind controlled (unless you count the time he became Death, but that was only to stop Sabretooth from doing it iirc).

They have been to enough futures and alternate timelines to show that it is perfectly controllable with a proper host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Wolverine: I'm a horrible person who's killed people when i've had to and will spend the afterlife in hell, unhappy. I would never want anybody to experience what i've had to do.

"...now take out your textbooks because it's time for What I've Had to Do and How to Do It 101"

SirDan3k posted:

Nobody cares about your fake history or future.

Quentin Quire probably does.

• Locked thread