Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
ine up and kiss my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

agreed

godzilla hentai
Sep 6, 2010
I only play video games for their stories and no, sorry OP, I won't kiss your rear end. Kiss mine.

minus world
Sep 23, 2009

"good poster"
*in big bosses voice from mgs3 while eating instant noodles*

mmm mmm i want some more poo poo op

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I played Metal Gear Rising on easy for the story. You can develop an emotion bound w/ your characters and have fun. This is gaming. I going to show the workd one day just what a game is.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
bump

BARON BONGHITS
Jul 20, 2005

ahahaha tyeaa smoke weed lick a nigga fartjohnson chet etc blablab dmx guns are strong WOOF WOOF mameshibaaa~
Agreed. truth

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i play all games like they were crossword puzzles or solitaire and, well, sometimes i like to pretend that the jack of spades had a lil' fun with the queen of hearts, if you know what i'm sayin'

Locus Cosecant
Jan 12, 2008
some game stories are cool but the modern focus on story over gameplay is a scourge. thanks

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

sometimes it's less about HOW i'm going to do mindless repetitive task and more about WHY

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Locus Cosecant posted:

some game stories are cool but the modern focus on story over gameplay is a scourge. thanks

you don't have to kiss my rear end.

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context

Locus Cosecant posted:

Sometimes it feels like the director couldn't get a career out of making movies, so he's using games to air out his lovely screenplay.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

1upclock posted:

Sometimes it feels like the director couldn't get a career out of making movies, so he's using games to air out his lovely screenplay.

david cage

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

The Droid posted:

david cage

The lowest hanging fruit of video game industry punchlines

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

1upclock posted:

this is really weird when films like this exist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southland_Tales

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

[DAYTIME, INT]

[Another day at office for John Cecero, walking past cubicles. Hissing noise is heard from RIGHT. Pan to empty carpet, fade-cut to Black and White to reveal giant alien insects]

[JOHN]
UH OH, GOTTA GET TO MY APARTMENT, FAST.

[ACTION SCENE]

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

the third act of indigo phophecy is like an amazing trainwreck

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

COBRARocky posted:

Is that the part with frontal nudity and the protagonist flying around?

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

COBRARocky posted:

the first two acts of indigo prophecy is like a milquetoast trainwreck

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
indigo prophecy just straight up fuckin sucks

i like good games stories though, but i like games that don't play like rear end too sooooo i dunno

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

storygaming is the pathway to the all-important wide acceptance of the artform.

our lord and saviour ken levine has sacrificed 200 men in his valiant fight against the tyrany of publishers and the inertia of financial success. pray that he will soon deliver unto us the chosen game and we may weep before its glory

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

i like it when games tell stories through gameplay and exploration rather than cutscenes and exposition.

Tiestofan69
Jan 26, 2011

op i totally agree with you, in fact here is a game i found. I'll let you play it, let me know when you're finished

http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/factsopinions.html

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Tiestofan69 posted:

op i totally agree with you, in fact here is a game i found. I'll let you play it, let me know when you're finished

http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/factsopinions.html

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

problematic

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Scyther posted:

i like it when games tell stories through gameplay and exploration rather than cutscenes and exposition.

good.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that's a 5

w-wOah, whered yobcat come from???

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
storygamers go to hell

Drachenreiter
May 6, 2007

I want you to stick that green spotted egg up my ass so I can incubate it
Narratologists should be hung from the nearest tree IMHO.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

yes I totally play games for their deep ~~message~~ ken levine taught me black people are evil

also woah quantum physics!!!

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
bump

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

I like games with a good story, like jak & daxter, space quest, the last of us, uncharted, knytt, and many others

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
update: still true

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I see the story as a little carrot dangling in front of the gameplay, which is the donkey, cart and road. The donkey is also graphics.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
People who bump their threads are also scum op.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Nothing better on a cold rainy day than curling up in front of the fire with some hot cocoa & good game with a good story.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

But I like New Vegas. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Games that have good storytelling are cool, but they're not common due to most video game writers being utter poo poo. There's more good ones coming out though which is nice. Story-telling is mostly total garbage in AAA games though, so I agree with OP in the regard.

• Locked thread