Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Mr Tastee posted:

But I like New Vegas. :(

rare exception. The Bioshocks, Gone Home, Spec Ops: The Line, etc aren't exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

The worst thing to ever happen to adventure games was when they stopped focusing on puzzles and just made them third person visual novels. I'm not even a fan of Myst style games where they just have a bunch of unconnected mini puzzles but at least they were still games.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I see the story as a little carrot dangling in front of the gameplay, which is the donkey, cart and road. The donkey is also graphics.

Wise words from the saad

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"hey let's railroad players across the entire game without allowing for deviation from the path so they can experience this story that totally wasn't conceived of by a 10th grader"

-every video game maker, simultaneously, for some reason

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

The worst thing to ever happen to adventure games was when they stopped focusing on puzzles and just made them third person visual novels. I'm not even a fan of Myst style games where they just have a bunch of unconnected mini puzzles but at least they were still games.

did an adventure game ever have deeper puzzles than "use item on problem, die, reload, use next item, hope you didn't miss an item or use the wrong one four hours back"

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Really Pants posted:

did an adventure game ever have deeper puzzles than "use item on problem, die, reload, use next item, hope you didn't miss an item or use the wrong one four hours back"

Yes. Sometimes you had to use items on other items before you could use them on problem. It's very complex, you probably wouldn't understand.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

elf help book posted:

storygamers go to hell

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Story is important to me, but I feel like freedom of movement inside the gamescape is really important. this is why I still like old rear end sierra games more than, say, Two Souls.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

clammy posted:

Story is important to me, but I feel like freedom of movement inside the gamescape is really important. this is why I still like old rear end sierra games more than, say, Two Souls.
this guy knows whats up

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think story is okay if your dumb and play MMOs but this and devs realizing that making games easy to pander to the lowest common denominator (most of u reading this post) are the things ruining video games. And I guess this generation's lack of creativity ties in too.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

anime gently caress pillow posted:

I think story is okay if your dumb and play MMOs

see personally i think story has little place in MMOs besides background poo poo because the O aspect should involve players ~making their own stories~ through whatever gameplay there is

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Players making their own stories leads to pedophile hangouts on ST:O and poo poo, you have to direct people if u want them to be less lovely than their natural state.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime gently caress pillow posted:

I think story is okay if your dumb and play MMOs but this and devs realizing that making games easy to pander to the lowest common denominator (most of u reading this post) are the things ruining video games. And I guess this generation's lack of creativity ties in too.
tbh making games easy owns

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

video games can't have serious stories because serious stories are poo poo like discovering you're a transsexual while trapped in a loveless marriage with a drug addled Somali teen. games have to throw in poo poo like wizards and robots and army men and some sort of meta ironic detachment to actually get anybody to listen to a cutscene, so until gamers can start to appreciate QTEs with poo poo like 'press x to stare mutely at the information channel in a dirty motel 6' or 'mash square to scorn your abusive father on his cancerous deathbed' game stories are gonna suck bad.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

No Such Thing posted:

video games can't have serious stories because serious stories are poo poo like discovering you're a transsexual while trapped in a loveless marriage with a drug addled Somali teen. games have to throw in poo poo like wizards and robots and army men and some sort of meta ironic detachment to actually get anybody to listen to a cutscene, so until gamers can start to appreciate QTEs with poo poo like 'press x to stare mutely at the information channel in a dirty motel 6' or 'mash square to scorn your abusive father on his cancerous deathbed' game stories are gonna suck bad.

hey man game designers are quickly embracing the idea that "art" is pretentious, grimdark, angst-filled bullshit. dont egg them on to accept it even more

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's weird they spend all this money and time making games like Diablo III yet the story is just the most retarded incomprehensible thing on the planet

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
in third grade i wrote game stories in my journals, complete with rpg style battles where i would list what happened every turn and the damage dealt and also would draw maps and the plot was always some simplistic rubish

anyway i'm sure that those journals are better written than any game plot from a triple a developer in years

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Post them.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
"our hero johnny went up the hill and encountered 2 slimes they strike first and deal 2 damage. johnny attacks and deals 4 damage" just imagine that for pages and pages. i doubt that those journals exist in any form except landfill juice by now thx for your interest tho

Dec 26, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I see the story as a little carrot dangling in front of the gameplay, which is the donkey, cart and road. The donkey is also graphics.

agreed

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
I've played some more games in the mean time and this is still true.

Enid Coleslaw
May 17, 2011

by Ion Helmet
wolfenstien 3d, golgo 13 and bionic commando are the only video game that ever had a single interesting character

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
golgo is just anime hitman chuck norris who looks like spock

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

When I play video games I don't have just one life, I have many lives

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

AllTheXsHaveWings posted:

wolfenstien 3d, golgo 13 and bionic commando are the only video game that ever had a single interesting character

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If I wanted a story, hell, I'd play second life.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

spoiler: hitler dies

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
you can like MGS stories as long as you don't take it too seriously

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Darkman Fanpage posted:

spoiler: hitler dies

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Deadly Premonition has the best video game protagonist ever and more games need the player to be the protags imaginary friend.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
You could have just had the title as "People who care about games are scum and ruining games."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Borsch
Nov 5, 2013

by Ralp

Contra Calculus posted:

You could have just had the title as "People who care about games are scum and ruining games."

That would have been really loving funny, had he said that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RAGE unironically had the best storyline.

"Hi, I'm John Goodman in a Mars dune buggy. I just met you and you literally just landed on this planet and were nearly killed along with your crewmates, but here's a gun, go kill these people I don't like kthxbyte."

Of course, the game ending is pretty much as sudden.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mr Tastee posted:

Deadly Premonition has the best video game protagonist ever and more games need the player to be the protags imaginary friend.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
how can people stand to post with this lovely style sheet

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

get this on tumblr stat and trip report the outrage

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"fun" "fact": i know exactly where this establishment is, and have sat in the exact same chair where adolf hitler is sitting in this picture, in real life.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
nothing wrong with a bit of story in a game as long as it is a bit of story, and it is in the game. y'know, as opposed to "the game is the bit they added to space out the cutscenes".

game writers, there's not a single one of you who can write well enough that i'd think of receiving a bit more of your story as a reward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
i love how people love sid meier's alpha centauri when the balance and gameplay is so bad but gosh if you put in some philosophizin quotes goons go berserk

there are waaaay better 4x games than smac, but they don't have the dumb story bullshit cause they actually get by on the gameplay

• Locked thread