Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Lord Remo's description of Calculords made me want to play it so bad. When he was wondering who the target audience for it was all I could think was "Me! It's me who is the target audience!"

Too bad it's not out on Android :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

So no new Idle Thumbs this week?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

It's fine. The best way to play any Civ game is to get up to about the industrial error ...

Luddite.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

If you don't listen to the bombcast, here's some backround:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPPPeyflV5I

Thank you for the 50 minute video of background info for a joke.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Anyone else having trouble downloading the most recent Idle Thumbs (#155)? This is using the Podkicker app on Android.

Worked fine for me with Podcast Addict

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mr. Jake Rodkin how much do I need to kickstart to have Danielle on every week and will I get another postcard out of it

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Android - Podcast Addict. I dislike it quite a bit but am also too lazy to switch. It's a conundrum without a solution.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

umalt posted:

I use this one personally, and I have no real complaints. So what don't you like about it?

Too much navigation of various screens to do stuff. Mitigated a bit by my recent discovery of the option to auto-queue after downloading a podcast but could still be more streamlined.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I'm kind of surprised at all the love IT has been getting lately. Most of the last dozen or so episodes I really haven't liked. In its prime, it was primarily about dissecting games and what made them work or not -- how systems interact, what the designer was going for, aesthetic choices, etc. But it's much less that now and much more of "take 30 minutes to tell a 2 minute story" -- constant hemming and hawing, prevarications, pointless tangents. I feel like Chris used to keep a tighter focus on the pace and content of the show. Now it's a bunch of friends sitting around and bullshitting -- which is fine, if you like that kind of stuff. I'd rather hear insightful analysis of games.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ulta posted:

Cool. Haven't listened yet, but if I would have known I would have sent in a reader mail asking him to expand on his theory that chess is a badly designed game.

That's actually not an outlandish theory. Not sure if this is his reasoning, but among a subset of IM and higher level players (who still like chess, natch), the thought is that chess relies too much on memorizing opening lines, and that the advantage tends to go to who has memorized the most variety and to the max depth of various openings, rather than who is the best strategic / tactical player. Hence such things as Bobby Fisher's invention of Chess960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

zapjackson posted:

David Sirlin talked about this some on the first episode of his new podcast, which I like a lot so far. It's very much design-focused, so if that's your thing, then... maybe it's your thing.

Might be worth adding to next year's podcast post if it sticks around. Though it's not specifically about video games...

http://www.sirlin.net/posts/podcast-sirlin-on-game-design

That looks really interesting, will definitely check it out. Thanks!

• Locked thread