Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Thwack! posted:

Hahaha, yeah... Vital Idol is Hell both literally (in Japan/Europe) and figuratively, and I will constantly remind myself of my struggle of mastering that stage every time I post in the forums. I hate you forever Teriyaki Yoko.

But anyways, something I have noticed with the Parappa games; particularly the first game, is how they might have been partly inspired by De La Soul. I can't really describe it, but realizing that De La Soul made a song about Parappa the Rapper as some sort of a promotion for Parappa 2, I can probably assume some of the first game's themes were inspired by the rap group. But I could just be talking out of my rear end.

The driving test stage is Turtles Have Short Legs by Can.

I can see the De La Soul comparison working thematically though, 3 Feet High was full of playful youth and optimism, and the album cover even looks sort of similar to Parappa's sort of art style.

moller fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

Games are also able to fail in ways that movies and books cannot. The multiplayer servers for the new Harry Potter book do not go down under load. You will never have framerate issues and crashes reading Cormac McCarthy's latest book outside after 3 p.m. when using a cloth bookmark. Some level of attention on their performance as products is required and probably won't be going away, because making perfectly stable software (and hardware) is difficult, if not impossible.

There are lots of Amazon reviews about terrible DVD cases that don't hold the discs properly and books with bad bindings that let pages drop out. I would assume at some point in history a professional film critic has blamed a film for a plot hole that was actually a projectionist error, or even been unduly harsh due to an uncomfortable seat.

coyo7e posted:

Maybe it was the 45 minute segue into boxing chat that they cut out? ;)

Seg.

moller fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 8, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Championchik, dammit.

Also Championchik is responsible for the best Brayko line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ICwJHlehBU&t=39s

Seriously though, excellent choice of topic and I am super hyped for the MCA interview. Now do GOD HAND.

moller fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 1, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Randallteal posted:

I actually wish they would bring back Chris Kohler, if he's interested. Hearing him on Retronauts reminded me that I really like him, but I tried listening to a couple episodes of the Wired games podcast, and there's just too much of him on there. Even when there's three people on the podcast, he seriously does like 90 percent of the talking.

So, you're like the Goldilocks of Chris Kohler %.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

weird bleep posted:

Mega Man Legends 2 also had dual analogue control for the original Playstation. Goldeneye had dual analogue control options if you felt like holding two separate controllers in your hands. Halo definitely made the control scheme work better than these games, but it's interesting how it evolved to that point.

Timesplitters predates Halo by, like, a year and was an FPS controlled with standard modern twin stick controls. Just sayin.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Oh man, until recently I had every episode of Retronauts on my hard drive but I deleted a bunch, totally forgetting that they were only hosted on 1UP. It feels cheesy to say but some of them seem like important historical documents.

As for the duckfeed chat, I've listened to all of Dead Idea Valhalla and so should you. Although it has kind of a depressing, 'pump up the volume' vibe to it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Pocketcast on android has been nothing but a pleasure to use. The way it minimizes to notifications is great, the full screen display is great, playing in the background is great, you can always get to the controls.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

moller posted:

Seriously though, excellent choice of topic and I am super hyped for the MCA interview. Now do GOD HAND.

Finally, all my bugging of you two on here and facebook paid off! (maybe)

I am so hyped. Don't act like you don't like the ball buster.

EDIT: Also it's weird that you've complained about the difficulty of GOD HAND but it's in the same list as Little Nemo. I've only finished one of these two games, and it's the one without an auto-scrolling train level.

moller fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 4, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

I've never actually played God Hand (yet) but it has possibly the best ending theme music I've ever heard.

Gary and Kole should so not click this. Actually, no one should - go buy, play, and finish GOD HAND instead.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

EC posted:

I had a great time doing this. I don't know how Gary and Kole keep up with their podcasting schedule, we recorded for 2.5 hours and I was pretty wiped out at the end, mentally.

Mountains of cocaine.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

I am pretty good at turning off my brain when listening to ad copy

Literally everyone believes this about themselves and has since mass-marketing became a thing.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Agreed. The game implores you to go fast but going fast leads to unavoidable spikes, enemies, and pitfalls. Sonic is blue trash shat out by a bad subsidiary and forced down the throats of Americans with millions of dollars of marketing. The series then became a favorite of weird furries.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Phone posted:

Look at this scrub who ain't never worn an Oculus Rift. (not being snarky, but it's really different than just another monitor)

Also, having it be a physical game with prop controls + the Oculus and paper instructions, you can't do cheesy bullshit like CTRL+F and it adds a layer of clumsiness to the game.

Desirable attributes of peripherals and I/O devices: layers of clumsiness.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Song For The Deaf posted:

God Hand is loving great.

Finally, a boss fight!

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Is the process to open a locked door in Wasteland 2 really as bad as Zack said, or did he just overlook a simple game mechanic (again)?

You click the lockpicking skill on your hotbar and then click on the locked thing. It's the same way you use every active skill.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I preordered HL2 just to get my hands on CS:Source sooner.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I get that it was done mostly in the name of good radio, but the fact that they had to explain how the Worms games work in the most recent Thumbs makes me feel way old. I played the gently caress out of Armageddon 10ish years ago, and this copy I have on Steam keeps staring at me.

You know, like GORILLAS.BAS.

<blank stare>

Like Scorched Earth?

<blank stare>

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Why has nobody made updates to either of these, is what I wonder. I would kill for a remake of Scorched Earth that worked exactly the same but had, like, decent spritework or something. Have Paul Robertson do it, put it on steam for ten bucks, blammo

Worms is kind of this already though. An even closer modern analog to scorched earth is the Korean MMO Gunbound, which you should never, ever play under any circumstances.

Heck, "Artillery Game" has a wikipedia page. The page also points out that angry birds owes a lot to these games, which would make it far and away the most successful game in the "choose angle/choose velocity" genre.

moller fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 14, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I'd just like to point out that just after 28 minutes in the GOD HAND cast Kole says "in so close insofar."

EDIT: Also, no one told them to bet on Lucky Clover.

EDIT2: Sort of sad that the Mike Tyson interview that most of the enemy barks (and a line from the ending song) come from didn't get mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4l0ZyKmeNE

I just... really like that interview.

moller fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 17, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Woffle posted:

I don't think I realized that was what it was from...

The regular mooks sort of just plainly state "I'm brutal and ruthless." or "You're not Alexander." It's pretty great and baffling with the proper context while also being great and baffling without context.

I'm pretty sure I googled the phrases when I was first playing the game because they made no sense. GOD HAND made me a fan of Mike Tyson's unique style of personal expression.

"I can talk about humility, but I'm not humble. I mean, if you say, 'I'm humble,' you've just contradicted yourself. But I'm trying to be, man, I'm trying so hard."

I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah.

moller fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 17, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Song For The Deaf posted:

I brought this up in the PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker thread (which is a great thread). I know there are numerous other things to be angry at in the teaser, but this burns me the most.

Argh! Dude, dude. I caught the edges of the concept in the justine tunney thread, but now here I am, descending via block and tackle into the rabbit hole that is also a gaping anus.

EDIT:

some guy with a wolf header on his blog posted:

I’m a Christian and a reactionary monarchist from British North America.

You can read my story at my first post. In short, I became dissatisfied with my life.

After a period of red pill exploration I have decided to embrace Christian masculinity.

moller fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 23, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Al! posted:

Like Twin Peaks, the Rewatch has really hit his stride with episode three with regards to really making sure they hit every scene but still going in depth and into tangents.

But but the Twin Peaks pilot is like the best TV pilot ever.

Edit: Ehr, I guess "The Target" episode of The Wire exists. It had that terrible flashback though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I like the vendor birds from the Souls series. Their tone is such a cool mixture of terrified and eager, and I like to believe that if a bird could speak (to the extent that they could engage in trade) they'd be all pushy and excitable like that.

I recall chocobos having a cool theme song but I'm told that at some point they stopped saying "wark" which I find unacceptable.

Comedy Option: King's Quest Five's lovely Owl

moller fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 30, 2014

• Locked thread