Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Sounds like Danielle's recommended site, Objective Game Reviews, would be more your speed.

This site is way more useful then I thought it would be when it was mentioned on the cast.

It's obviously a joke but just straight up knowing the content of a game is actually super interesting as information for if I might enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Phone posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing or making an edit and include the Thumbs crew (but with their portraits that were sent to them).

When the first image was tweeted out Chris responded to it asking how to get Idle Thumbs and Campo Santo added to the list.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I feel like your argument would have more weight if you were actually putting forward any of the discussion you claim exists. Not trying to shoot you down but simply saying that there is a legitimate discussion to be had without ever saying what the content of that discussion is a pretty weak stance.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah, I considered that. It's not really the place for it though.

In terms of the criticism piece I think there was a real miss by the Idle Thumbs guys there. They were right in saying that criticism and journalism are different, but they went on to say how journalists need to build relationships to get stories. This is of course true... but criticism and journalism are different. Restaurant critics love food, think about it all the time, make it their living. They don't write reviews of restaurants owned by their friends, and they don't get the restaurant to pay for their meal. There's a place for the other type of review, where you don't pay for the game and develop a relationship with the creator, but when it's the only type of review on offer, and possible bias is rarely made explicit, that really cheapens the content.

I think a lot of the reason the Zoe Quinn stuff struck people who aren't just total women-hating nutjobs is that nobody trusts the state of games criticism. It's not an end-point, because as stated nobody even officially reviewed her game (I think people posted positively about it? but that's basically just blogging, so whatever), but it could be a jumping off point for a more interesting discussion.

Setting aside agreeing with your points or not, what do any of them actually have to do with Zoe Quinn at all? Your opinions on criticism and journalism have no bearing since the Kotaku writer in question never put together a piece which addressed depression quest at all. He was following the standards that you put forward as the ones that games critics should be held to in your own post.

This may come off as a little condescending but I thin you have fallen for the rhetoric that is being put out by those who are attacking Quinn in order to reframe themselves as the good guys. But it's never actually been about games journalism or even criticism. It's just about misogyny and/or those who feel like games like Quinn makes are somehow undermining their hobby.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 29, 2014

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Every time someone mentions papers please on a gaming podcast it is accompanied by a statement that the game is not fun or not "supposed to be fun". It always makes me feel like I'm playing the game wrong or something because I love the gameplay of it.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Al! posted:

Danielle's travel story almost gave me a panic attack

I have had real bad airport problems in the past. I got tossed in a communal cell in England for over 24 hours by immigration. When she reached the part about having an anxiety attack while all that poo poo was happening I had to stop to podcast and just bury my head in my hands. It just sounded horrible.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Al! posted:

Thanks for ruining the Laura Palmer theme for me Jake BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It's my first time watching the series all the way through and I really am delighted by that now that he mentioned it. I'm always disappointed in those rare instances when they cut the song before the turn happens. Every time it plays I'm like " OH BOY HERE IT COMES."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

That's such a cool idea for a podcast that it makes me want to shake the dude who posted the link until he confesses to the other podcasts he's been holding out on us.

• Locked thread