Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

snuggleshrub posted:

That really is a terrible interview. I don't see how he's done anything to merit that level of contempt from a video game journalist.

Curiosity -> Henderson -> Godus Kickstarter -> £0.5m from backers based on promises he intended to break from the beginning is a good place to start, although in all honesty that's just the endgame of aw-gosh-shucks-isn't-Peter-so-naive Molyneux who's made a career out of selling games based on him talking utter bullshit to the press.

Curiosity is getting a bit of a free pass here but let's not forget they were monetising it (even if you ignore that £50k pickaxe!) with the ultimate aim of the prize being, um, basically some free publicity for their next game that they decided to do absolutely nothing about? That alone puts Curiosity squarely in the "con" bracket, and that's before we get to Godus.

e: I am conscious that I am already talking a lot about this in the dedicated thread for it so perhaps that's a better place for this discussion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The argument that he believes everything he says is surely shot to poo poo after all we've learned about Curiosity and Godus, alongside his responses in that interview.

I genuinely don't understand why he gets this free pass every time.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

He straight up admits to promising things he didn't intend to deliver, I don't think there's anything ambiguous about that.

Exactly.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I'm deeply suspicious of anyone who takes photos of themselves by default, so selfie sticks are the equivalent of the mark of the beast.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Scorchy posted:

Oh man I think I caught Jake's ebola listening to IT this week.

Yeah.

This week's episode was not exactly a high point for me. Jake barfing down the mic all cast, making hilariously uninformed comments about John Walker, and really the whole Molyneux segment just didn't work for me.

At least the coughing managed to mask the number of times Chris says "like" during a cast though!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I feel like the Thumbs guys didn't really register just what it was that Molyneux had done with both Curiosity and Godus before that interview even came out. The other articles were barely mentioned, and none of the specifics about either game got an airing.

I know Molyneux has been a long running joke for the guys but that humour has given him this armour against genuine criticism. The defence for Molyneux seems to fall broadly along the lines of:

* developers who see it as an unfair criticism of the realities of games development (which grossly misses the point - we're all aware and there's a huge difference between the stunts he's pulled on those games + his history of literally making things up on the spot and passing them off as fact, vs features being cut and deadlines being missed as part of normal games development)

* people who just objected to the tone of the interview (I genuinely don't care - this is a guy who's done bad by a lot of people and a harsh interview isn't exactly infringing his human rights; these people are the easiest to understand, though)

* people who hate John Walker (not me, but it was funny to see him accused of being some sort of populist riding the Gamergate wave of consumer backlash given his role as a prominent target of Gamergate and how many people he's pissed off by 'preaching')

* people who think that his history as being a bit of a joke should mean the onus is purely on those who gave him money to not give him money (a stance I have some time for, but on the other hand the media have consistently given him oxygen and built him up as a still-relevant part of the industry)

Molyneux's been interviewed for decades. I'm sorry people didn't like the tone of the interview, but this is the first time I can remember reading an interview with him where he wasn't given free reign to just bullshit his way through the whole thing. I think the point was long passed where people in a position to do so should've stopped giving him publicity and stopped giving him a free ride on his bullshit, because ultimately he was profiting off of making promises he had no intention of keeping (which is different to most devs and their good faith efforts, IMO).

I care about Idle Thumbs' approach to this because they've consistently knocked it out of the park on pretty much every topic that goes beyond IS GAME GOOD YES/NO? and this was the first time I felt they basically glossed over some pretty important stuff just to complain about the tone. I didn't get the feeling that had that interview not happened, that they would have instead talked about what the other interviews and articles had exposed about Curiosity and Godus.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Isn't that exactly what the RPS interview did? :crossarms:

Er... No?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Chris Remo posted:

I would disagree that "minor game journalist" is an appropriate characterization of one of the co-owners of Rock Paper Shotgun, but even if it were, I don't think it makes any difference if the interview in question ended up being one of the most widely discussed and widely read pieces of game journalism recently, which I suspect this was, at least in the circles that I am aware of.

You guys gave every indication in that podcast of not knowing the first thing about John Walker. And yeah, he is pretty minor - he doesn't do many RPS articles, and RPS is still pretty niche as it is.

quote:

Is there anyone who is unaware of Molyneux's history who is now aware of it? I doubt it. If people are so sick of his bullshit, just stop supporting it. It's all been well-known for YEARS. I don't know how many more times people need to learn about 1) Peter Molyneux's nonsense, and 2) the risks of Kickstarter, before they just learn whatever lesson is necessary to learn. It's ridiculous. The notion that there is any actual gain from someone finally sticking it to Peter Molyneux (as if anything is gained, or anything new learned) is just exhausting to me.

Maybe I'm overly fixated, that's totally possible. If I am, it's probably because it feels like an extension of a narrative and style of media engagement that I already find really depressing and frustrating outside the context of games, and then ALSO having it in games is just a huge bummer to me. So maybe I should have contextualized the source of my frustration better. I don't expect the endless-hype-followed-by-endless-disillusionment cycle to stop any time soon, no matter how many irate interviews are conducted. I don't think righteous catharsis helps with it, I think it makes it worse.

Unfortunately this comes across as another "well of COURSE Molyneux was bullshitting, that's what he does and that's what you get for using Kickstarter - caveat emptor!" response. Surely you're aware of how many times people - consumers and media alike - have characterised him as someone who's not cynically and willfully misleading people but instead is this over-enthusiastic guy who just can't help coming up with so many cool ideas aw shucks he's like mad-but-harmless uncle Peter really? Having that effectively blown out of the water is news. It was given a human element with the Curiosity winner and it's given a direct consumer element with the Godus kickstarter farce.

These are all New Things. Everyone's had an opinion on Molyneux for ages, sure, but that doesn't mean we've not had some cold hard facts to finally talk about.

It's one thing to bemoan the hostile nature of the industry in the last year. It's another to laser-focus on a hostile interview - one that had a hell of a lot more reasoning behind it than the bile vomiting forth from everyone's favourite cold-blooded arseholes - and chuck it and its author in the same bin. They exist in completely different worlds.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

ja2ke posted:

Because we referred to it as a "Rock Paper Shotgun" article and not "John Walker?"

No, because of how you tried to tie it in with Gamergate and suggested that it was basically a cynical attempt to ride the wave of popular opinion, which as others have already mentioned is pretty much the opposite of John Walker's MO. His history with Gamergate would surely give you pause before making that association?

e: Understood on the "RPS as a whole" thing, though - that's just one where we'll have to agree to disagree because we're looking at this from vastly different viewpoints.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Cara Ellison's latest S.EXE article on there is pretty great.

You're not wrong. Christ, that brings back memories.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Man, there's "overpromising" and then there's "literally saying anything with no intention of backing it up, plus promising one thing and then doing the complete opposite as soon as the money comes in".

But I feel like I'm in this weird dual world where I'm both nitpicking like an arsehole but also trying to point out this huge disconnect... argh. I'll stop.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

Hi thumbs, that offworld trading talk was some of my favorite bits in awhile, please make nick a permanent member

No! He'd only end up breaking our hearts again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Cara had a weird hybrid Scottish / American accent in this. And says like so much...

Fun discussions. It's great when someone with genuine enthusiasm is on the cast.

• Locked thread