Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Jabronie posted:

Our long national nightmare of the fiscal Year of Luigi is nigh. Here's to another in the form of The Year of, uh, Sonic? :cripes:

Not on my watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

If a video game journalist mentions Can, I assume it's Jeremy.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Dr. Sparkle uses Can music in every episode of Chrontendo! I think he has the greatest claim there.

drat, that is a Can song. You're right.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

bobservo posted:

I think this episode was the last one we recorded where he didn't have one for his home setup. We've also soundproofed the vault, so things should start sounding a lot better in general.

I noticed Jeremy was pretty quiet in the mix during this episode, though I didn't notice any popping. It was a great episode in either case.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I imagine suggesting a game for WOFF is like spitting in the ocean at this point, but Star Control 2 (most easily in the form of Ur-Quan Masters) would be a great game for the cast. It's like a narrative-focused MoO with asteroidsesque action combat.

We have our schedule planned for the next few months but after that we're pretty open and this has been suggested by none other than Video Games Hot Zach so it's on our radar. I'm a huge fan of Starflight which is like a primitive version of Star Control 2(my understanding).

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Cool! Yeah, Star Control 2 is considered a sort of spiritual successor to Starflight (with some key SC2 personnel having worked in various capacities on Starflight).

I keep meaning to play Starflight one of these days. The Genesis version looks pretty sick.

The Genesis Starflight, along with the Genesis Shadowrun, were instrumental to getting me into PC gaming.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I played a whole lot of Maniac Mansion, the Macventure series, the NES Ultimas and the Genesis Might and Magics.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I know I'm not the only person who first experienced Deus Ex on the PS2 either. There's something to be said for diminished but available experiences.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Like Starflight on the Genesis, it was an opportunity to revisit and revise a slightly older game on a powerful console, rather than a case of trying to cram a complex game onto a less flexible machine.

See also, for my money, the SNES Sim City.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Cannot wait. Deadly Premonition is amazing, and hearing y'all gush about it for about 2 hours is gonna be amazing too. :allears:

I might have a surprise for you in that case. I'm probably about 3/4 the way through and while there is a lot I like about it, there are some things I straight up hate. Luckily, it's been steadily improving in this back half and I'm pretty into it right now so it could be a total redemption in the end.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Just a quick note that I'm on Retronauts again. This is probably the most fun out of the three we recorded:

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=649

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

We're recording a "first impressions" mini episode tomorrow that will sum it up but I'm absolutely in love. I've been mainlining it for days. My only misgiving is requiring you to level up through the Emerald Herald rather than at bonfires when you can warp. Seems unnecessary but I'm sure there's a lore reason I haven't figured out yet.

Tune in Sunday for more gush and thanks for the kind words!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

There is! I would add to that list the entirety of the WTFJapan and AwfulGDQ blocks. If you want to download individual runs rather than tracking them down on YouTube or Twitch archives, they're all up here.

Was anyone else slightly uncomforted by the dude trying to get Trihex to take off his shirt? It's a great run but man did he beat that drum.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Not to derail but if anyone has thoughts on Deadly Premonition, lay them on us at duckfeed.tv/contact by sunday at 10AM PST. It's going to be a contentious episode!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

weird bleep posted:

I hope Gary and Kole have been trying PvP in Dark Souls 2! I have played all the Souls games at launch and I find that PvP is always the most fun and crazy right after the games are released. Everyone is trying to figure out the game and you find people using a variety of different builds, some of the covenants are super crazy this time too! I'm looking forward to hearing them cover the main game, podcasts always make the work day go faster and I can't get enough of Dark Souls 2 talk!

Here's a dumb video I made to encourage irritating people in PvP (mild area spoilers for Harvest Valley):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH6we-mrPtA

I have done a little! I'm actually doing pretty well. We'll probably do another PVP special later in the season where we visit how it's different than DS1.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I would also STRONGLY recommend that someone play DaS1 before jumping into 2. You will have so much more of an appreciation for the callbacks and devious redesigns meant to throw you off.

This is true. Dark Souls 2 is very much a sequel. I was expecting something closer to a Demon's Souls to Dark Souls relationship but it's much more direct.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Zack's 100% right that likening Don't Starve to Minecraft is loving insane though. I mean I guess you build things out of resources you mug nature for?

Eh, I can sort of see it. The games have a lot in common and playing Don't Starve sort of reminds me of the first night of Minecraft before you actually know what you're doing.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Al! posted:

I had the exact same impression of Don't Starve as Zack and I played the final as well. I'm sure it's wrong or whatever but when you open the crafting menu for the first time it looks like there really isn't much to make. Now I didn't really take to Don't Starve because I don't like babysitting meters and wandering around aimlessly hoping to stumble upon the crafting ingredient I need but that was the impression I got over the first couple of hours.

My biggest problem with Don't Starve, in the build I played at least, was the over reliance on gold. If you spawned in a biome where gold was rare/hard to get to you were more or less boned.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

Hey Gary I found a new version of Mario Paint Composer for you to try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcjCnkbROY

That's something. Now I need to check out Skullgirls.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

*AHEM* :angel:

If anyone has thoughts about The Forrest of Fallen Giants that they want to share with Bonfireside Chat, please send them to us by Saturday at 11AM PST. We'll be joined by CJ from the excellent and fun Twin Humanities Podcast.

https://www.duckfeed.tv/contact

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Just trying to get it in before the thread gets locked because of video game men.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

That was recorded before his surgery, actually. I think his meows are a little different now but no one else seems to be able to hear it.

EDIT: Thanks Umalt!

Woffle fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 15, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm doing the HD remake.

Chris is a great dude and I'm so happy he's coming back. I think Alpha Protocol is grotesquely underrated and he's one of my all time favorite game makers.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Opendork posted:

Kinda unrelated, but I think you guys say in this that you did an Abject Suffering for JJ and Jeff? I don't think I've gotten around to sending anything else because I'm usually lurker as gently caress but I suggested that game after you asked for games from offbeat consoles and I can't find it on the site.

It's actually a Kickstarter exclusive bonus thing we did as a lark when Kole was crashing at my place. Since you suggested it, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't have access though. Get in touch with us via duckfeed.tv/contact.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

That's fantastic. I am looking for cheap instruments RIGHT NOW.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

I got the urge to play Rock Band again recently, and looked for drums on Amazon. They were in the range of $150-200 for Xbox 360 RB2 drums.

On Craigslist I'm finding closer to 40 bucks. Then again, I'm risking a scenario where I'm forced to earn "dungeonbucks" by doing oddjobs in some sort of dungeon.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just finished the Hardware episode of WOFF and I gotta say, at the very end when you said something like,
"And now we'll talk about Nintendo's big gently caress-up" I thought for sure you'd get a brief mention in of the Virtual Boy.

Honestly just an oversight mixed with a lack of experience. I had a Virtual Boy in my late 20s that I played a couple of times but the screen was going bad so I didn't get much use out of it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

umalt posted:

gently caress YES THE REPLACEMENTS!

The Replacements are one of my favorite bands. Also, the story of Alex Chilton is super loving sad.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I listen to at least three of the shows you guys do so the least I can do is throw you money. I supported the WOFF kickstarter and I'll gladly support this too. Keep on bearding my beard brothers!

This is greatly appreciated! Regarding beards, I'm riding this train until it crashes.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Real quick: We're a little light on responses about Killer 7 which is surprising given that it's such a polarizing game. If you want to send something in, we still have about 3 hours til when we record. https://www.duckfeed.tv/contact

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

bobservo posted:

I'm really interested to hear what you guys think about this one -- I had to force myself through it, but it was definitely one of the most interesting video game experiences I've ever had. If I had to guess, Suda 51 was able to make this game because Capcom was essentially losing all of their key staff members around this time, and I think the company had him pegged as their next Mikami or Kamiya. Though I'm not sure if Suda is entirely responsible for the magic of Killer 7, since everything he's made after that -- barring some parts of No More Heroes -- has been pretty uninspired.

Oh, and Travis is rad. Weirdly enough, he's speaking garbled English you can *barely* make out if you pay attention.

Yeah, I ended up really liking it, despite the fact that it doesn't seem like a very Gary game. I actually liked it more than I liked Deadly Premonition on the subject of interesting games with bad gameplay.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

There's a sort of dumb marketing hopefulness to calling it 'iconic.' Like when Network Associates bought the rights to name the Oakland Colosseum, there was this giant banner on the front of it that said NETWORK ASSOCIATES COLOSSEUM, and in little italic writing in quotes it said, "See you at the 'Net," like it was a thing they wanted people to start saying. Nobody's going to loving say that.

Whenever I think about marketing people, I think about Shadow of the Colossus. These huge, lumbering idiot beasts trying to capture small things with big clumsy hands.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I haven't been outside in weeks.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm real big into watching Speedruns and I tend towards the AGDQ stuff just because it's commentated. I'm sure you already know to look there but I'm speaking up more to mention that I haven't found any other solid sources and I'd love to hear some.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

weird bleep posted:

Speedrunning is really fun try out...

This is totally true. You play the game in an entirely new way. I've got my Dark Souls down to about 2 hours and the feelings of tension during a speedrun are totally different than the feelings of tension you get from just, you know, Dark Souls.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

moller posted:

Championchik, dammit.

Also Championchik is responsible for the best Brayko line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ICwJHlehBU&t=39s

Seriously though, excellent choice of topic and I am super hyped for the MCA interview. Now do GOD HAND.

I have never seen that scene before. This game, man. This game.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks! If you dig it, and you like older games, try out Watch Out For Fireballs! too.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Finished both episodes and now I am starting to work up the gumption to play alpha Protocol. I was originally turned off by that hacking mini game with the flashing numbers.
Really glad Gary chimed in and asked Chris to explain his use of tenses. It was starting to confuse the hell out of me.
Great insight and a very open attitude. I wish he would do more talks its always gold.
Id listen to the Chris Avellonecast.

He's been incredibly generous with us. I just wonder how often he's asked.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Pasco posted:

How the hell did you guys manage to talk about Crackdown for two hours without talking about climbing the Agency tower? I was so sure you were going to bring it up when you started talking about getting high towards the end of the episode, but nope.

Climbing that tower (and then jumping off it) was such a huge thing when the game came out, and still one of the best uses of achievements to this day (in fact Crackdown has a whole bunch of great achievements, I'm surprised they didn't come up either).

At least "The Enigmatic Wang" and "Skills for Kills" got their due, and this episode was a pretty great to relive some fantastic 7-year-old gaming memories.

Well, it didn't occur to me to try because I'm a huge dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I didn't come to Crackdown, or even the 360, until pretty late in it's life cycle. Me, I'm a retro man for the most part.

That video is pretty incredible, however.

• Locked thread