Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

HMS Boromir posted:

This is my issue with Video Games Hot Dog but maybe it's just me being a cellphone-abjuring luddite.

I just got an ios device for the first time a month ago and finally got to play a bunch of cellphone games I've heard people talking about so much.

The experience left me retroactively even angrier about all the words i've had to listen about cell phone games all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I'm going to +1 the recommendations people have made for Super Best Friendscast. I had written them off for a long time because the two best friends play videos on Machinima are kind of obnoxious. If you’re on a similar boat don’t let that stop you from checking out their podcast. Yes they can be a little shouty at times, but they have a genuine enthusiasm for video games that is infectious to listen to. They also cover certain games that I find are a little underrepresented on other gaming podcasts. ie – fighting games

Also, since they play a boatload of videogames you never run in to that thing other video games podcasts run in to where it’s been a week but half the crew didn’t manage to play anything, or they don’t have anything interesting to say because they plugged a couple hours in to a game just to have something to talk about on the podcast. They never sound like they’re tired from having to play a video game. They’re the antithesis to that feeling. It’s refreshing.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
This is the exact reason people dislike the word problematic. It's not that they disagree with you at all, they're just tired that any time it is mentioned a bunch of goons show up to sling hyperbole around.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Dr. Stab posted:

Are you saying that there would have been less poo poo about what she said if she had just used the word "bigoted" to describe South Park?

In relation to this thread, yes I think Fingers of Fury wouldn't have felt compelled to post and this whole discussion could have been avoided.

In terms of people throwing a tantrum in other forums - those poo poo heads where going to complain regardless of what word she used.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Captain Internet posted:

Speaking of not needing to play a game, the most recent thumbs about W_D and Wolfenstein was just silly. I'd rather someone just not talk about something if they had no interest in said thing and did not experience said thing.

The 20 minutes or so of navel gazing about AAA games appealing to the lowest common denominator being disappointing would have been interesting if it had examples.

It was one of my favorites in a long time. It had an energy Idle Thumbs hasn't had since... pre-kickstarter return? I'll gladly take them pooping on some boring AAA open world titles over those weeks and weeks where no one had played anything but time-waster phone games and all sounded like they wanted to lie down.

Edit : I was conflating eps 160 and 158. They're both great, but 158 is my favorite in a long time. 160 is great too! I hope they keep playing games and having stuff to talk about.

Trexy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 3, 2014

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Ulta posted:

Good summation of the current bullshit on the internet Thumbs guys. I'm actually kinda sad Kotaku and Polygon are actually responding to it by making contributors not contribute/disclose all contributions to crowdfunding. Not that transparency is a bad thing, but seriously who gives a gently caress if Ben Kuchera backed a game or once gave a homeless dude 5 dollars and that man was Nick Breckon.

I don't disagree with anything they said but I feel like they kind of misrepresented your average angry 14 year old. 14 year olds are single-minded assholes who are all terrible to each other.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

SoulChicken posted:

The adverts have cooled me off idle thumbs a little. We get an intro, a middle and a final ad skit, talking about their "friends" at Squarespace and Naturebox.

I know it's a part of podcasting nowadays and you deserve to get some cash back into funding the podcast. I'm happy skipping past intro and bumper ads. But you guys are the last people I would expect to go all in on the chummy shill that just feels a bit creepy. Spend years building trust and integrity, then choose this slightly insidious way of advertising.

Not a big deal, I'll still listen and I'm still glad to be on the wizard wall.

I'm generally amicable when it comes to podcast adds but Idle Thumbs spend way more time on adds than any other podcast I listen to. They're on the shorter end as far as podcasts go too, so if you're listening to them back to back in a car ride it's that much more apparent how much time you're listening to adds.

Podcasts are also going to have to make some smart decisions about what adds need a 'shooting the poo poo' add vs a succinct pre-recorded message. Every time I hit the Squarespace add in Roderick on the Line I'm instantly thankful that I'm not listening to a bunch of guys spend too much time to say nothing about Naturebox I haven't heard 100 times before.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Hakkesshu posted:

Too much of the discussion on Thumbs lately has revolved around "here's a well-liked game that I played for an hour, let's spend 30 minutes talking about this one thing I don't like".

It's not that I want IT to become an echo chamber, but I think it has become very predictable. Obviously nothing kills enthusiasm like forcing yourself to play something, but enthusiasm in general has been fairly low as of late. Discussion often suffers from the whole "I only played it for an hour, I don't know how it changes the further you get" syndrome, and then it never gets brought up again.

Which ironically kind of puts them in the same boat as the press-based gaming podcasts, where they just move from game to game to game and thus rarely get very in-depth with any one title. Usually the Thumbs have something worthwhile to say, even if they haven't played a game for very long, but the scope of the game's discussion still tends to be very superficial. Like Sean's take on that Sherlock Holmes game, for instance, which I've heard does a lot of cool, different things to tie each case together the further you get.

This is why the Super Best Friendscast has become one of my favorite gaming podcasts. Sure they're a little shouty and talk over each other, but they play the poo poo out of games, and do so enthusiastically. They're the antithesis of the "here is what I gleaned from the 1-2 hours I forced myself to play a videogame this weekend" feeling.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh no, anime. The biggest roadblock to goons.

There has got to be some kind of anime-hate time dilation going on because I can't recall the last time they said much more than "I'm watching x and y and I like it a lot/not so much" and moved on, but I see goons bring it up all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I'm not a big fan of Polygon, but I am a big fan of MBMBAM, and the episodes of quality control where it's specifically Justin and Griffin are absolutely worth listening to.

• Locked thread