Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Woffle posted:

This is true. Dark Souls 2 is very much a sequel. I was expecting something closer to a Demon's Souls to Dark Souls relationship but it's much more direct.
That said, DS2 is also a lot more approachable for a new player. Although I personally miss the NPCs speaking in vague, circuitous Engrish.

It's almost jarring to have an NPC just say something along the lines of, "Hi. I'm the blacksmith, I will sell and reinforce weapons for you! But first, I need a key to open this door."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fingers of Fury posted:

unironically defending tumblr memes, its the gift that keeps on giving!
Whoa, I better start posting on Pinterest so I can find some other faddish word.

I'm really impressed though, I had no idea that 'problematic' is some kind of racist dog whistle or something.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Astro Creep posted:

There is no deeper meaning behind that episode(the episode in question being "The F Word"). The entire point of the episode is that "words only have power if you give them power(read: racial/ethic/sexual/gendered slurs)", and they make it blatantly obvious that that's the lesson to be learned, however ridiculous and insulting that lesson may be.

As one of those f-words (I refuse to use that word, so I'm sorry if this bothers anyone), the episode has come up a few times in conversation since its airing, usually when a friend or family member says the titular word and I ask them why it's necessary that they use it. If the reason isn't because they're just homophobic, which has been the reason a few times, it's that they saw that episode and they "learned" that slurs don't have any real power.
The issue with "taking it back" is that you're walking a really thin line. And it also allows some aberrant individuals to continue to use a word without any of the baggage involved, despite likely being a white cismale. However when the oppressed group is the one trying to do so it is a potentially useful and appropriate tool to bring about change or at least reduce the sting of some hurtful words and ideas. I grew up hearing a lot of "wetback" jokes because part of my family are only a couple generations from having possibly literally having swum across a river into the country, but only they talk like that, around each other. If someone made a wetback joke near my mom, my dad would let them know it's not appropriate. That said, I personally am proud that some of my ancestors managed to do such a thing, and that my life is easier because of their actions back then, as are most of the rest of my family on that side.

A group of white college kids sitting around in the apartment above mine dropping N-bombs every 10 seconds are not improving society or the language, and they probably have no understanding of how uncomfortable it may be for the black guy who lives next door and hears them through their open windows (not to mention the entire rest of the apartment complex), while they play Madden and use casually cruel language from a perspective of pure privilege. Are they racist? Probably not - I bet they even have black friends (but those black friends of theirs aren't getting invited to Madden Night, because this is bros night out, not political correct night out.)

It's similar to that asian comedienne's CancelColbert thing recently, where she wanted to point out that having a white male use racist quips to speak to a broad audience in order to poke fun at other also arguably inappropriate racism, is, well, problematic.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 7, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I quit being a real fan of South Park when the movie came out. I went with my friends and dropped 15 bucks or some ridiculous amount for a ticket, and then sat in a theater feeling like Matt and Trey were shoveling manure down my throat in the form of a 2 hour "Saddam Hussein is a queer who likes Satan's dick" joke, while they laughed all the way to the bank. I know they're savvy, I know they often have a good point they're attempting to make however, I don't want or need to be preached at via their medium at this point in my life.

The game brings back a lot of the charm of the show (that sense of being a kid playing in a backyard, swapping dirty jokes and changing the rules on the fly while waving around cardboard swords) that I forgot about, which is a reason I really hope Danielle goes on to play it, and then might be able to discuss her feelings on the game, with the thumbs crew at some point in the future.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Maybe it was the 45 minute segue into boxing chat that they cut out? ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's not extremely different from niche reviews for fiction. Presumably, a lot of people who go out of their way to hunt down lots of books, are going to come from a different background and be receptive for an entirely different perspective. If you name-drop "Flowers for Algernon" to someone who paid attention in school and who was fortunate enough to have some decent Lit classes, they'll know exactly what's going on. Tell that to your average group of teens at the mall and they'll probably call security on you.

Recently I watched a newer Mathew McCounaghey movie on Netflix Instant, Mud, which I had no idea what it was going to be going in. I immediately began flashing to Stand By Me and Goonies however after getting halfway through the movie I realized that it was not very Goonies and indeed, more truthfully a simple rewrite of The Adventures of Tom Saywer as well as The followup book Huckleberry Finn. I can list those three stories in rapid succession to a certain audience and well, they likely would know exactly what kind of story is coming. In fact thinking on it, Stand By Me is, in large, a likely rehashing of both the book Tom Sawyer despite the author's darker (for the time) take on things - but really there was even a dead body to go investigate for christ's sake..!

Some people may strongly disagree with my take, some may be offended by my "reductive" method of summarizing the story in a pointed and succinct manner. Some could even claim I just spoiled the movie for them if they wanted to really get their fur in a ruff.

In another place/publication/etc, that is obviously not going to be an appropriate way to write a review for your audience however, being totally objective can often become so dry as to not give you any actual information as the reviewer will often spend scores of words (naming actors and directors and movies you may have seen that they were involved in,) and for some people, that's exactly the kind of info they need.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 8, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Its a game about German pants. Obviously.

Looking at the game's trailer it looks pretty slick, and I'm getting some Risk of Rain vibes although that may be entirely mistaken on my part.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I wouldn't say he's a pioneer of podcasting though, more like a comedic lion of newspaper editorial columns.

I don't think "reference comedy" is a geneology worth tracing though, as I feel it's mostly a navel-gazey way for lazy people who don't do anything but consume pop media, to feel superior that they recall consuming a great deal of pop media.. That's more of a Groening/McFarland type thing rather than a Dave Barry thing though, and I'm fully aware that being smug over people who can reference every sitcom for the last 30 years are doesn't mean that they're necessarily inferior to someone who memorized Ambroce Bierce and Samuel Clemens back in the day.

Although I suppose Charles Kuralt was makin' some callbacks in his poo poo, too.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 14, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm sorry, I just don't know who this royal "We" is referring to, sorry.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's an overused meme.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah sorry, I thought it was a pretty obvious callback to earlier in the thread. ;)

I seem to recall Chris using 'bonkers' somewhat regularly however, I do not see that as being problematic.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You know, if I could buy it GoD I'd probably have bought Titanfall by now. I've been jonesing for a multiplayer shooter and have no idea which army-mans shooter is the current popular one that's the least broken, and I looove big robots and MOBAs.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Was "chippy" always a word used to describe electronics giving a person attitude, the equivalent of a human being lippy? Because that should really be coined if it hasn't.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

thefncrow posted:

I have to say, listening to the latest Idle Thumbs is a little frustrating between the conversation about how selling a Kinect-less bundle was like when MS did the same by later releasing a 360 without the hard drive (hard drive-less bundle was available from the system's launch), or the discussion about how things like "Aiden Pierce's Authentic Cap" is a crummy piece of digital content because of what that does to the character's designer (that's describing an actual physical hat based on the default character design and not part of an in-game costume).

Not to say the latter isn't a valid criticism because I'm pretty sure some of that content is character costumes, but it's just frustrating as a listener.
You must not have been listening very closely, despite being so upset about a detail such as the HD-less SKU being a launch option while this Kinect-free SKU is available a few months after launch.

The reason that the hat is so stupid is that it's literally called "Aiden Pierce's Iconic Cap", not his "authentic" cap, which is outright laughable since I can't even remember it, outside of it being a ball-cap that was brown or grey or something, in some trailers. It'd be a bit like calling your local bar band famous celebrities, and then going out and telling everyone everywhere, how famous they are, despite nobody having a clue who they are.

I guess celebrity creating itself through force of marketing isn't a new thing, but generally you need people to at least vaguely recognize what you're talking about, or have some bit of media which is juicy enough to give them enough of a boost to try to climb the ladder, like some the Numa Numa guy. The Cap being Iconic wouldn't be so outrageous if this was given away with Watch Dogs 2: Watch Doggier, the sequel to the smash-hit groundbreaking game, Watch Dogs..

And the pics I've seen of the Iconic Hat looked digital to me, nor would it seem very prudent to walk around in a ballcap with a balaclava over half your face. But people will wear whatever ugly crap they get for free with a video game, so ymmv.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 16, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Oh I forgot to add, I give my dog Taste of the Wild (bought it on a lark because I was out of food and I liked reading Jack London as a kid,) and it's really good, quality food - albeit rather spendy depending on where you buy it, but if you look around you can find it at a comparable price to any other dog food even though some stores give it an outrageous mark-up. I buy it off Amazon now with free Prime shipping, now I don't have to use gas and carry around that 30 lb bag of food. She eats about half as much of that brand of food as is recommended for her weight no matter how much I feed her (a third as much as she ate of other dog foods full of garbage), and after moving to that food, she gets a lot of compliments from random people on how svelte and toned she is for a bulldog mix. :btroll:

If you're interested in buying pet food that's not full of crap, check out this thread's OP/second post. Number one tip is to feed your pet half to two-thirds as much as the food bag recommends - they're in the business of having you run out of food more quickly.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549663

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 16, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NmareBfly posted:

One of the thumbs was looking for a word meaning fat that starts with p. I would like to submit paunchy. That is all.
Portly would be the most apropos.

Dezinus posted:

Not especially relevant, but I can't miss an opportunity to repost this.

What a weird thing Microsoft Games has become.
I don't get your point. It's a bad poster and weak slogan, but it's far from "weird."

Edit: what'd actually have been clever would be to make it into a Dumas callback. "All for the One and XBox One for all, united we stand for release this coming Fall".

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 16, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Invictus posted:

Continuing through the BFC, they mention James Franco throwing out jokes to die at the Oscars. I know I've seen it before but I can't seem to find it with some googling, does anyone have a video of it?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=james+franco+oscars+high

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Invictus posted:

I love lmgtfy because it let's you know who is a shithead at a glance.
As opposed to lazy fools who never learned how to use a library card catalog?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I remember that episode of Punky Brewster. When she realized all her friends were monsters she panicks and runs down a tunnel and then finds her dog - but it's a skeleton dog and it barks and wags her tail and I had nightmares for a loving month about my dog turning into an undead.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bobservo posted:

I continue to have no idea what Homestuck is. Your post made me go to its site, and apparently it's a bunch of melodramatic .gifs of people powering up or something? I dunno.
I thought Homestuck was that stupid cartoon/comic with the dude in the luchador mask and boxing gloves who talked about trogdor the burninator all the time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The only reason I knew it existed at all was because there was a gross neckbeard guy who rented a place next door to me back in like 2004, and he had a Trogdor sticker on his car. I assumed it was a band name for a long time until I googled it at random one day.

Ironically the next place I moved had that dude's twin, who rocked a KoL bumper sticker on his car. That was how I googled and found out what it was, too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I fail to see why Homestuck gets more props than Axe Cop.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ThaShaneTrain posted:

My friend and I recently started a podcast about Kerbal Space program: http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/

We're three episodes in and it's been pretty fun. We started it on the premise that one of us had played close to 500 hours of the game and the other guy didn't have it until a week before recording.
This sounds fun as hell, I'll be sure to check it out soon! :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Randallteal posted:

Reminds me of this. It's definitely a problem. I think Rockstar was smart to set GTA in fictional-but-obviously-X cities.

The unevenness might be related to time-issues. IIRC Alpha Protocol had development and publisher problems (obsidian.txt.)

Considering Homeland specifically, I'd expect that to be more of a theming issue than a time and budget one. They don't want to humanize those dirty foreign terrorist cities more than they have to.

And yeah Rockstar definitely had it right with "Welcome to *wink wink nudge nudge* Vice City!" Because otherwise you get people making a big deal that a some building's balcony facing the wrong cityscape rather than the beach, etc. That still happened in GTA 5 anyway.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way. I look at games like Watch Dogs and there's this sense that there's nothing there for me.

I regularly watch Hulu for the Simpsons and other stuff, and so that's the only place I practically ever see ads for just about anything. Movies, TV shows, drugs, cars, games, these tend to flare up and fade with me hardly knowing. I exist in a wonderful cultural black hole where I just rarely glimpse into the awful world of advertising.

The only advertising I've seen at all for Watch Dogs is for this dumb exclusive launch DLC which has your player character getting extra money from an ATM. He then goes shopping for outfits. He holds up a coffee shop. He drives an expensive speedboat. It makes the game look exactly like GTA IV or Saints Row: a sheen of violence, boring humor, and money-objects, all no doubt masking the tedium of getting to all that content.

I'm not a game reviewer or a podcaster, so I don't have to be as informed or correct in my views about things, but I really can't blame three busy guys for not wanting to look further into a game that looks so drat samey.
Yeah I missed the marketing as well, I have just been jonesing for a new GTA-like experience. Watch Dogs has hit that itch pretty well on the mark, despite its kinda-janky driving and shooting. Once you get a decent feel for the "Hacking" stuff in-game, it's pretty fun to just roll away from the cops and then stop them all with a well-timed road blocker and then hiding under a bridge for a few seconds to stop 'choppers from seeing you.

And getting money is LAUGHABLY easy in this game - as in I'll often hit an ATM after 20-45 minutes and gain 100k-150k - so the ATM boost is unnecessary, and the idea that ANYTHING is gated early on is, well, laughable because there are no areas of the map you can't reach, no weapons you can't buy immediately, and the hacking skills are only gated off by like 4 or 5 campaign missions (once you pwn the girl with the dragon tattoo, the game's entirely open basically,) and the accrual of skill points - which you gain through both EXP and every time you do certain mission types as well. You can apparently hit the level cap and have more skill points than you can spend, from accounts in the game thread that I've seen.

I've never bothered to hold up a store in WD - I literally cannot see the point of doing so until/unless I see an achievement for it or some poo poo. The protagonist is a laughably barren and violent vigilante however, it's not entirely difficult to stealth through the vast majority of missions and content (I can only think of one or two missions where I was forced to use violence to get away, and TBH if I was better about using the slo-mo mode I probably could've just run for it instead of sniping the half-dozen guys pissing me off.)

Watch Dogs does a lot poorly, and a lot correctly. It's interesting to me that the guys connected to Assassin's Creed seem to have slipped backward on some mechanics however, I suspect a lot of the stuff I'm missing such as the AC mutliplayer "Blend" button, were taken out for balance reasons more than anything else. It can be HARD to find the person invading you, and the dark souls-esque multiplayer invasions are pretty well done and add a nice layer of paranoia to the normal campaign play - you never know which pedestrian might be someone farming points off you unless you abuse some tricks or stick to only doing multiplayer via Blume Employees, Racers, and ctOS challenges.

I really am looking forward to a sequel, the AC-crossed-with-Dark-Souls style multi is a ton of fun, and I enjoy being able to finish objectives via several means a lot of the time. In fact this is the first game where I've ever really, REALLY wanted a throwable remote camera a la Thief 2 or Perfect Dark.

pseudorandom name posted:

I have not played Watch Dogs and not interested in doing so, but my understanding of its mechanics is that killing people by any means negatively impacts your reputation, and no amount of positive reputation will stop civilians from calling the police on you if you fire your gun.
Reputation goes down FAST if you're sloppy in campaign or multiplayer. One pedestrian killed by being run over while chasing an opponent, will take a pretty significant chunk off. It isn't terribly terribly hard to raise it again but you have to run around being a Nice Guy and doing crime-stopper missions.

If your reputation is really low, then news flashes will constantly pop up while you're just doing random poo poo, and then civilians will spot you and recognize you and dial 911 (if you don't go stomp their phone into the concrete ASAP - there's a similar mechanic for multiplayer "bounties" which are probably my favorite and most-predictable way to get into a multiplayer match and know wtf is about to happen).

Firing a silenced weapons makes civilian 911 often inconsequential, on top of many Crime missions and other missions (and online play) immediately removing your wanted level. If you run around with a gun showing and fire off unsuppressed rounds though you'll get annoyed at the cops PDQ though.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 3, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Beard Yawn posted:

I pretty much am only interested in Wash_Dogs for the invasion multiplayer. Could I pretty much hop into it immediately, or do I have to do a whole bunch of campaign content first?
30-60 minutes if you can deal with some cops and a chase quickly.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The word that Idle Thumbs' last episode couldn't recall to describe Peter Dinklage's contribution to Game of Thrones, is probably "gravitas."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It took me a decade to allow myself to go back to my inborn(bred?) country drawl after growing up as a nerd in the boonies and hating everything country. If I had an accent like hers it might take speech classes to bring back. She is extremely enjoyable to listen to while using it, though!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mierenneuker posted:

I think someone previously said something among the lines of liking Idle Thumbs because they often know some intricate details about subjects. If they aren't knowledgeable about something they'll straight up admit that and not dwell on the subject.

I dislike the Indoor Kids because it's the opposite of that.
So basically they're just like the dudes who do Gamers with Jobs?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Funkmaster General posted:

Edit: I guess I can't find a way to keep this joke running without sounding like an insane person because it turns out that I care more about this than I thought, so for my sanity and yours I'm going to stop now.
Wait until they talk about segues. :arghfist::spergin:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Bring back the Giant Bomb energy drink taste-tests, and stories about cans of swedish canned fish hidden in the ceiling. Also, more Mike Rowe.

I know that old arcade cabinets are heavy and touchy and every time I listen to a bombcast it seems to be nothing but "hey man I got me a Neo Geo cabinet, I'm pathetically fat and it was really a chore getting it into my apartment".

Although I'd kill for a cocktail-table Joust or Ms. Pac Man machine.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jippa posted:

coyo7e it's not really got nothing to do with the content. With the bombcast it was all about the chemistry. Jeff and ryan were amazing and vinny and brad were perfect foils for them. That is what made the cast so good.

The reason why people enjoyed the non gaming bits wasn't because it was non gaming but because the guys were hilarious when put together. It's really hard to recreate that.

I dunno. I feel bad even discussing this. The recent recruits are all nice guys but the cast just doesn't have that x factor.
I still think the chemistry is good and they're still pretty funny however, it's just that I honestly am unable to recall anything that they've discussed recently, except how annoying/sketchy it is to move around arcade cabinets.

They have no direction anymore, and either need to find someone to steer, or need to just let the GBcast quietly die and then focus on their anime shows and whatever else. (I do not care for the Whiskey Media brand and most of what they do is entirely uninteresting to me, though.)

Captain Invictus posted:

Ryan is dead and complaining about how it is now is not going to magically bring him back to save the bombcast.
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/video-thing-2human/2300-29/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hakkesshu posted:

Have you seen or listened to anything Giant Bomb has done for like the past two years? You do know Whiskey Media does not exist anymore, right?
Yes, weekly, I rarely miss their podcast but am not sure why I still listen anymore. Since I don't care about their Brand Name, I really didn't notice that they'd shelved the comics/etc stuff or w/e you're referring to, I thought Whiskey Media was an attempt at making a brand out of nerd podcasts and videos and never gave a poo poo about the stuff oriented around non-game content. Losing Ryan really hurt them a great deal both personally and content-wise, and I fail to see what your point is except :spergin:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I doubt that it's been a year, I was driving to the coast a few weeks ago and listening to the GBcast and it was still dudes talking about fixing arcade cabinets after buying them and trying to figure out how to get them home.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Akuma posted:

Are you the mythical listener that listens to the podcast but never visits the website?
Hot news tip, plenty of people never visit all kinds of websites. Not everybody lives on reddit. I spend far more time reading actual books and listening to podcasts in an average day, than I spend in front of a keyboard. When I was at a different stage in my life I hung out on digg and giantbomb and stuff but the only reason I go to websites like that any more is when I'm bored and watching TV and doing other poo poo, I certainly don't care about upvoting news stories or editing wikis about video game soundtracks. I think outside of linking that Too Human video the other day, I haven't been to Giantbomb in probably 6-12 months.

Then again I'm at a point in my life where I don't sit around stressing about videogames (partially in part to their not being any good games I've heard of lately, and plenty of good opportunities to go to the beach, go fishing, go hiking and camping with friends and my dog, etc.) I am planning on going through the bonfireside chat cast again now that dark souls 2 has been out long enough for them to cover all the areas however, half the time I'd rather listen to a gardening or world news or history show.

So yeah I guess I'm a myth. I'm the gamer/nerd who got tired of being one, and who now goes outside and gets a suntan instead (my average posts/day on SA has gone down by easily 30-40% from what it used to be, for instance, and I mainly post in the gardening/DIY/fishing/etc threads instead of writing OPs for whatever game I'm looking forward to being disappointed about *cough Thief cough cough*. I'd hope that someone who's had an account on SA for over 13 years for instance, doesn't participate at the same rate as they did when they began. Things change, people change.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 27, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chris Remo posted:

Is it really? It only occupied any significant amount of time on a single episode and as far as I recall has only even come up again maybe one other time?
I kind of assumed that the "being on the verge of being run into the ground" comment is somebody who either isn't aware of how long-running most Idle Thumbs in-jokes have been dragged along (I miss Jeff GoldbestGoneGoldblum), or who's just classic internet sexist response :argh: about having a girl who talks about gaming stuff other than branching plot design choices and the same old tired gamecons. I'm royally sick of PAX/E3/etc and would never have been interested myself in, say, gaymer-X con, or anthropomorphic adventure/platofrming games however, it's a really nice change of pace, and the Boston accent is almost as endearingly funny as Giant Bomb's in-'cast ads a la "Hey there 'small business-man!'"

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm truly happy for you.
Hey thanks, it's pretty rad! You meet lots of friendly and interesting people, and get to visit cool places like where we relaxed at yesterday, after a day hike:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Funkmaster General posted:

Finally got around to playing the Dark Souls 2 DLC and holy poo poo, it's like they made a DLC pack just for Gary and Kole. Can't wait for this episode of bonfireside.
This is the most-convincing selling point I've heard for any xbox 360 content in probably 6-9 months.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Are there any other/better smart device gaming-based podcasts than Pocket Gamer?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SoulChicken posted:

I care, that pumps me full of delicious schadenfreude. The worst podcaster.
Throw Garnett Lee and Leo Laporte in a hole (and then fill it in with concrete.)

The worst podcasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zeether posted:

What exactly is bad about Laporte? I know someone online was complaining about him a while back but I forgot why.

edit: https://twitter.com/LeoLaporteSucks :stare: Oh, uh, okay...
I don't know what most of the stuff on that twitter feed is about (most of that twitter feed seems at a glance to be pretty obscure, or stuff having to do with his wife being sleazy or something) however, I listened to TWiT for a year or two when I was in college before I just got disgusted at the utter lack of real tech news or know-how on the show - it was just a vehicle to shill for whatever his latest advertisers were, and for his own ego.

He didn't ever really seem to know much/anything about most of the technology he wanted to talk about, and he was more interested in spreading his own brand name than actually bringing up interesting or informative topics. The only thing he has any real knowledge about seems to be drooling over the newest upcoming Apple tech, or whatever antivirus company is giving him the most advertising dollars.

I haven't listened to him in probably 8-9 years but his current show is called "Leo Laporte: the Tech Guy," which is laughable because he quite obviously isn't a tech expert at much of anything. I can't hold it against someone for trying to advance their own personal brand - except when they do it based on a falsehood, such as claiming to be an expert when you're really more of the Ric Romero of technology news.

also

quote:

Laporte calls his audio and video shows "netcasts," saying "I've never liked the word podcast. It causes confusion … people have told me that they can't listen to my shows because they 'don't own an iPod' … I propose the word 'netcast.' It's a little clearer that these are broadcasts over the Internet. It's catchy and even kind of a pun."
:rolleyes:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 7, 2014

• Locked thread